The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Just read yet again on DPR that f1.2 lenses are only possible on the new Canikons and impossible on Sony. Do these twits not understand that you can buy a f1.2 lens and faster today and stick it on a Sony A7x/9? These fanboys just make me want to shake them.

Best not to get too worked up about DPR, you'd have an easier time convincing someone to renounce their faith.

But Sony doesn't make any Native lenses that fast, so it must be impossible...

As an aside, given the price of the GM lenses, anyone care to consider just how expensive and f/1.2 GM would be :eek:

Probably around the same price as the new RF 50mm/1.2 which I imagine most people won't buy. But they'll complain about it anyway lol

Just read yet again on DPR that f1.2 lenses are only possible on the new Canikons and impossible on Sony. Do these twits not understand that you can buy a f1.2 lens and faster today and stick it on a Sony A7x/9? These fanboys just make me want to shake them.

They are all singing from the same hymn sheet aren't they. Makes me think canon/nikon/Leica have colluded somewhere lol.

Someone thought they need something unique that'll give them an advantage over Sony. So they came up with a large mount and a 35mm f1.8 lens :D

They are all singing from the same hymn sheet aren't they. Makes me think canon/nikon/Leica have colluded somewhere lol.

Someone thought they need something unique that'll give them an advantage over Sony. So they came up with a large mount and a 35mm f1.8 lens :D

They are really thinking outside of the box with that one.

Best give yourself a good shake as the biggest Sony fanboy going! Does it really matter what others say?

Best give yourself a good shake as the biggest Sony fanboy going! Does it really matter what others say?

As I've had a freekin nightmare day in a freekin nightmare week in a freekin nightmare month I don't give a frig if this gets me banned. Just need to release a little stream...

How the frek am I a Sony fan boy Fraser? Fraser You a borderline troll and you bring a little anger and bitterness wherever you post. I can't remember ever reading anything positive, uplifting or fun from you. I sincerely hope you balance this out by being an absolute star in your off line life.

What's the point in arguing with you Fraser, please just take a long hard look at yourself and grow up will you.

Best not to get too worked up about DPR, you'd have an easier time convincing someone to renounce their faith.

It just seems so odd to me. Might as well say there are not and never will be any double decker busses. The things exist.

The internet, eh?

As I've had a freekin nightmare day in a freekin nightmare week in a freekin nightmare month I don't give a frig if this gets me banned. Just need to release a little stream...

How the frek am I a Sony fan boy Fraser? Fraser You a borderline troll and you bring a little anger and bitterness wherever you post. I can't remember ever reading anything positive, uplifting or fun from you. I sincerely hope you balance this out by being an absolute star in your off line life.

What's the point in arguing with you Fraser, please just take a long hard look at yourself and grow up will you.
LOL

Just put him on ignore like the rest of us.

As I've had a freekin nightmare day in a freekin nightmare week in a freekin nightmare month I don't give a frig if this gets me banned. Just need to release a l

Anyway back to the f1.2 discussion; is there an f1.2 lens that mounts directly to the Sony camera? (I honestly don't know) using an adapter is surely similar to an extension tube and mounting a Canon f1.2 via an adapter will mean the lens is not really acting as an f1.2 in terms of light transmission - again I may be very wrong

Last edited:
Anyway back to the f1.2 discussion; is there an f1.2 lens that mounts directly to the Sony camera? (I honestly don't know) using an adapter is surely similar to an extension tube and mounting a Canon f1.2 via an adapter will mean the lens is not really acting as an f1.2 in terms of light transmission - again I may be very wrong

The adaptor doesn't move the lens further from the sensor than on a native Canon body (like an extension tube), it mounts it at the same flange depth as it was designed for the Canon EF body. The Sony mirrorless body has a considerably shorter flange depth than a Canon DSLR, hence the lens adaptor mounts the lens forwards of the Sony sensor.

The adaptor doesn't move the lens further from the sensor than on a native Canon body (like an extension tube), it mounts it at the same flange depth as it was designed for the Canon EF body. The Sony mirrorless body has a considerably shorter flange depth than a Canon DSLR, hence the lens adaptor mounts the lens forwards of the Sony sensor.

Thanks for explaining Steve :)

Most f1.2 lenses don't transmit t1.2, they are closer to t1.5-1.6 in terms of transmission. If you buy f1.2 for just extra light I think it's a bit wasteful.
While what Steve explained is true I believe the adaptor does decrease transmission but it's negligible that it can be ignored.

But there are native f0.95 and f1.2 lenses for e-mount. Eg: mitakon 50mm f0.95 or voigtlander 40mm F1.2

Last edited:
There must be some maths involved where a mount size restricts the maximum aperture of the lens?
Nikon produced an f1.2 in manual focus for the F mount but never autofocus. Was this simply marketing or actually a physical constraint of the lens mount?

There must be some maths involved where a mount size restricts the maximum aperture of the lens?
Nikon produced an f1.2 in manual focus for the F mount but never autofocus. Was this simply marketing or actually a physical constraint of the lens mount?

Well if you can make a manual lens at a certain aperture I see no technical reason why you can't make an AF one, it'll just add extra bulk.
On DSLRs getting critical focus on a f1.2 or greater lens is rather hard. Might be the reason they decided not to pursue that route.

Mount size probably does restrict the maximum aperture. Nikon claims it can make a f0.65 AF lens with the z-mount but is that something people would use or even buy practically speaking? To that extent it does sound like marketing BS.

At the same time I am not refuting that there could be some advantages to having a larger mount like reducing complexity of lenses and thus size. But whatever canon/Nikon/Leica have released so far doesnt really show off these supposed benefits or back up their claims.

So far it's basically Sony manager's word Vs. Canon/Nikon/Leica managers' word. While I'd like to go with the majority claim, so far Sony has really delivered on the mirrorless front. So their word has some weight too. So whom do you believe?

Last edited:
Looking through the internet the reason Nikon never produced an F1.2 AF lens in the F mount was the size of the rear element would have meant there was no room left for the communication pins to transmit AF info and lens data. The MF 1.2 obviously didn't need this.
An engineer must be able to look at lens mount design and location of communication pins and say if it's possible or not?
I haven't looked at the DPR stuff but surely someone must have said they already exist for the Sony and that quickly negates the arguments?

Yes, there is :)

Xgkxtxiybxbdyohdbdodd oyoddxtgkwqtwisitxigkiyddoydcoocldstitdyydyid ofoxydyodyochocoyf

My 2p

Will an f/0.95 native e-mount lens suffice?

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/...on-50-f0-95-full-frame-lens-with-the-sony-a7/

That happiest man on talk photography. The most pretentious man on TP lol

Stats:

Woof Woof:
Posts = 18,817
Likes = 5,475

Posts to likes ratio = 30%

F/1.4:
Posts = 1,893
Likes = 740

Posts to like ratio = 39%

Me:
Posts = 1202
Likes = 1239

posts to like ratio = 103%

mmmmmmmm; so @woof woof and @F/1.4 what do those figures say about who posts useful, likeable content?

Last edited:
But is not autofocus like is capable on the Nikon, ow wait the Nikon 58mm 0.95 isn’t autofocus either, oh best get my coat then

Ah wait it’s not actually made by Sony, Nikon make the Nikon one so that’s better, so there Sony can’t make one ;)

I really don't know if it is possible or not to make an autofocus 1.2 lens for the Sony or Nikon Mount and it isn't important to me (although it clearly upsets Alan!)...........but there must be a reason some people are saying it is not possible on the Sony mount?

Go away fanboy ;)

uC549GA.jpg

Looking at this pic not only may the mount limit the design of an autofocus 1.2 lens but the mount to handgrip distance may also limit it. I suspect we will just have to wait and see.

Looking at this pic not only may the mount limit the design of an autofocus 1.2 lens but the mount to handgrip distance may also limit it. I suspect we will just have to wait and see.

Stop speculating and buy one if you want to discuss it. You must be interested if you're in here. Otherwise buy a caNikon mirrorless... But I'm sure you've figured out they have a lot of weaknesses.

Last edited:
Had my A7iii, lenses, microphone, filters, Mavic Pro stolen a few weeks ago out my work van while in London, over 5 grands worth.

Received a replacement A7iii yesterday through my personal belongings insurance, with the 28-70mm kit lens, and they replaced my second hand Canon 10-22 EFS with a brand new one, then gave me cash for most of the accessories, including a second hand Metabones adaptor that I had bought so I could carry on using the Canon 10-22 and Sigma 70-200 while I converted over to Sony lenses.

I'm now thinking of trading in the Canon 70d and all the lenses for a Sony 70-200 f4 and if I have enough left over, the Samyang 14mm.
I kept the 70d as a second shooter and occasional video camera, but TBH ive never really used it since buying the Sony, even since the theft with it being my only camera I haven't had the appetite to shoot with it.

The only thing they wouldn't replace was the Mavic Pro, apparently it's in their Ts&Cs that they don't cover drones, but I'm more than happy with getting another A7iii, I think it's a wonderful camera.

Back