The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The TT350 turned up earlier. Pleased that it does control my two Nikon 685’s remotely. Pretty punchy for such a small little flash, perfect match for the A7.

Had my A7iii, lenses, microphone, filters, Mavic Pro stolen a few weeks ago out my work van while in London, over 5 grands worth.

Received a replacement A7iii yesterday through my personal belongings insurance, with the 28-70mm kit lens, and they replaced my second hand Canon 10-22 EFS with a brand new one, then gave me cash for most of the accessories, including a second hand Metabones adaptor that I had bought so I could carry on using the Canon 10-22 and Sigma 70-200 while I converted over to Sony lenses.

I'm now thinking of trading in the Canon 70d and all the lenses for a Sony 70-200 f4 and if I have enough left over, the Samyang 14mm.
I kept the 70d as a second shooter and occasional video camera, but TBH ive never really used it since buying the Sony, even since the theft with it being my only camera I haven't had the appetite to shoot with it.

The only thing they wouldn't replace was the Mavic Pro, apparently it's in their Ts&Cs that they don't cover drones, but I'm more than happy with getting another A7iii, I think it's a wonderful camera.
Glad you’re getting it sorted and it’s working out ok. I recently got the Sony 70-200 f4. It seems a really good lens, sharp, fast enough focus and accurate, but I’m currently wondering if I really need it so I may potentially be selling it on in the near future. I’m more wildlife than anything else so a 100-400 is hopefully on the cards in the future. Part of me is thinking if I will really need and use a 70-200 f4 along with a 100-400. With the 24-105 I have for the wide end i would be able to cover 24-400 in just 2 lenses. I think I went with the 70-200 f4 because I’ve always had something in that focal length with Nikon so I just mimicked what I already used.

Glad you’re getting it sorted and it’s working out ok. I recently got the Sony 70-200 f4. It seems a really good lens, sharp, fast enough focus and accurate, but I’m currently wondering if I really need it so I may potentially be selling it on in the near future. I’m more wildlife than anything else so a 100-400 is hopefully on the cards in the future. Part of me is thinking if I will really need and use a 70-200 f4 along with a 100-400. With the 24-105 I have for the wide end i would be able to cover 24-400 in just 2 lenses. I think I went with the 70-200 f4 because I’ve always had something in that focal length with Nikon so I just mimicked what I already used.

Yeah, thanks. I didn't hear from them for a couple of weeks, so I thought it wasn't going to happen, then all of a sudden parcels and letters started arriving.

I took the plunge today at LCE, traded my Canon 70d and 3 lenses for a new Sony 70-200 f4 and bought the Samyang 14mm with the money I got for the Metabones adaptor.
The 70-200 will probably be the lens I use the most, as it relates roughly to a 45-135mm on the 70d.

That's me all-in with Sony now.

Yeah, thanks. I didn't hear from them for a couple of weeks, so I thought it wasn't going to happen, then all of a sudden parcels and letters started arriving.

I took the plunge today at LCE, traded my Canon 70d and 3 lenses for a new Sony 70-200 f4 and bought the Samyang 14mm with the money I got for the Metabones adaptor.
The 70-200 will probably be the lens I use the most, as it relates roughly to a 45-135mm on the 70d.

That's me all-in with Sony now.

Best thing to do if you have gear you aren't using (y)

The TT350 turned up earlier. Pleased that it does control my two Nikon 685’s remotely. Pretty punchy for such a small little flash, perfect match for the A7.

Yeah they are a handy wee flash although I prefer the V350s version it has a quicker recycling time as it has a lithium battery, I also hate using AA’s.

Yeah they are a handy wee flash although I prefer the V350s version it has a quicker recycling time as it has a lithium battery, I also hate using AA’s.

I need a couple of these in my life, I understand the frustration with AAs but also can’t stand loads of chargers :(

Great little flash, battery life is p*** poor though. They claim 200 flashes per 2xAA, but it starts to run out of steam quite a bit before that in my experience. You will always need to carry a bunch of spares.

Can this version charge on-board? probably not ... which does mean an extra charger, I'm pondering switching my TT350 for the V350 - sick of buying packs of AA to keep feeding it

Edit: Just found this video on it, you do get the charger with which is good, tempted now, I mean I only have a couple chargers to run atm so wouldn't be that much hassle

Last edited:

Great little flash, battery life is p*** poor though. They claim 200 flashes per 2xAA, but it starts to run out of steam quite a bit before that in my experience. You will always need to carry a bunch of spares.

Can this version charge on-board? probably not ... which does mean an extra charger, I'm pondering switching my TT350 for the V350 - sick of buying packs of AA to keep feeding it

Edit: Just found this video on it, you do get the charger with which is good, tempted now, I mean I only have a couple chargers to run atm so wouldn't be that much hassle

Wasn’t aware of the lithium version tbf.

I think if I was doing event photography I’d probably look at them but even at the odd wedding the flash only really gets used on the evening and I’d probably use the big brother for the dancefloor. The little 350 is more for light use for personal stuff. I do have a lot of eneloops, which are heavy but one set have lasted me all day at previous weddings. Guess it depends on how much flash you use.

I hated the 860II on my A7III, way too cumbersome, with it being so big and top heavy. Used it for one wedding and then sold it again straight away.

The V350s I have found to be really good, being much smaller it's a much better fit for a body like the A7 series and still gives the advantages of the lithium battery with quicker recycling time and not having to mess around with double AA's.

The tt350 might be handy for those who don't use a flash much, I rarely use them apart from the first dance but I wouldn't want to rely on a flash that only has 2 x AA batteries even for just that.

There is a Neewer rebranded version of the tt350 that can be got a bit cheaper for those who just want a cheap ttl flash.

I hated the 860II on my A7III, way too cumbersome, with it being so big and top heavy. Used it for one wedding and then sold it again straight away.

The V350s I have found to be really good, being much smaller it's a much better fit for a body like the A7 series and still gives the advantages of the lithium battery with quicker recycling time and not having to mess around with double AA's.

The tt350 might be handy for those who don't use a flash much, I rarely use them apart from the first dance but I wouldn't want to rely on a flash that only has 2 x AA batteries even for just that.

There is a Neewer rebranded version of the tt350 that can be got a bit cheaper for those who just want a cheap ttl flash.

I’ll see how it goes, in practice highly unlikely I’ll be maxing it out so should be ok for my general needs and an emergency lightweight flash. The V350 isn’t much dough if I need to add one too at a later date.

Last edited:
Yet another article explaining why large mount diameter is good - https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/an...n-explains-why-larger-mount-diameter-matters/

canon's explanation does make sense. I do wonder if Sony missed a trick. IBIS is Nikon Z is supposedly slightly more effective than Sony's I wonder if large mount and larger body allows for better IBIS performance too.

Dunno. I suppose one argument for smaller lenses on a smaller mount could be that having less glass makes it easier to move it around quickly and stop it accurately. More and heavier glass may need bigger stronger motors to get it moving and stopped accurately and will need larger batteries too. One could argue that the best IS available at the moment is in what camera? Oly MFT? That may not be a complete accident. Not that I know what I'm talking about as clearly I don't. I'm just pointing out that for the various positives there are often specific negatives too. Spin and marketing may be the deciding factors.

Dunno. I suppose one argument for smaller lenses on a smaller mount could be that having less glass makes it easier to move it around quickly and stop it accurately. More and heavier glass may need bigger stronger motors to get it moving and stopped accurately and will need larger batteries too. One could argue that the best IS available at the moment is in what camera? Oly MFT? That may not be a complete accident. Not that I know what I'm talking about as clearly I don't. I'm just pointing out that for the various positives there are often specific negatives too. Spin and marketing may be the deciding factors.

Oly MFT mount or body with best IBIS is not exactly small when you take the sensor size into account.

Obviously Sony is making excellent small glass and my 24GM is testament to that. Also recently used the Z 50mm f1.8 which I felt was rather big for what is it.
So far I am not really sure how well the whole simple smaller glass theory works out in practice. But canon's explanation did make logical sense to me.

Oly MFT mount or body with best IBIS is not exactly small when you take the sensor size into account.

Obviously Sony is making excellent small glass and my 24GM is testament to that. Also recently used the Z 50mm f1.8 which I felt was rather big for what is it.
So far I am not really sure how well the whole simple smaller glass theory works out in practice. But canon's explanation did make logical sense to me.

Oly MFT lenses are a lot smaller than FF lenses and in some instances they're also a lot lighter. That may have something to do with the fact that they're lightening fast to focus. I know my FF cameras haven't exactly been SOTA but I bet there aren't many if any FF systems that'll focus as fast as the faster MFT camera and lens combinations.

If there is anything to the argument that small and light has a relation to speed and accuracy (there may not be) it may be much diminished once you get into comparing Sony FF with Nikon FF though. I was just saying that there may be downsides to ever bigger mounts with ever bigger and heavier lenses.

Oly MFT lenses are a lot smaller than FF lenses and in some instances they're also a lot lighter. That may have something to do with the fact that they're lightening fast to focus. I know my FF cameras haven't exactly been SOTA but I bet there aren't many if any FF systems that'll focus as fast as the faster MFT camera and lens combinations.

If there is anything to the argument that small and light has a relation to speed and accuracy (there may not be) it may be much diminished once you get into comparing Sony FF with Nikon FF though. I was just saying that there may be downsides to ever bigger mounts with ever bigger and heavier lenses.

If this were the case large aperture lenses would be slower to focus as they have larger/heavier elements and they aren't; modern motors have plenty of torque.

That's because they cater for smaller image circle on a smaller sensor. They are faster because focussing is easier with m43 when you have smaller elements and large DoF. But in case of telephotos they are just as big. I am wondering if the larger diameter will allow for smaller telephotos but somehow I think not.

If someone is looking for sony gear - just posted in the classifieds section A7R II + MC-11 + Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II and Sony 18-105 G

How well does the 1.8 keep up with him? Decent hit rate?

Not bad, I'm still deciding/experimenting with which tracking sensitivity etc works best. If she's going really quick I get 2-3 good shots from a burst usually.

*edit* I could really do with a good 70-200 tbh, Bad timing money-wise though, I'm caught between the Sony f4/f2.8 or waiting for Tamron or Sigma....

Last edited:
Not bad, I'm still deciding/experimenting with which tracking sensitivity etc works best. If she's going really quick I get 2-3 good shots from a burst usually.

*edit* I could really do with a good 70-200 tbh, Bad timing money-wise though, I'm caught between the Sony f4/f2.8 or waiting for Tamron or Sigma....

I think a 70-200 would be perfect for it. What AF mode are you finding best?

I think a 70-200 would be perfect for it. What AF mode are you finding best?

Usually continuous with expand flexible spot or Lock On AF Expand Flexible Spot. AF Tracking Sensitivity currently on 2 have played with 1 and 3 but can't make my mind up

Usually continuous with expand flexible spot or Lock On AF Expand Flexible Spot. AF Tracking Sensitivity currently on 2 have played with 1 and 3 but can't make my mind up

It’s been many years since I used to try similar with my parents dog. There was a serious flaw in my 5D2 and 70-200 mk2 setup back then. Still got some ok shots but testing for any af system. Their current Labrador is much slower. Might give it a go in the spring when I get the mount changed on my 135 art. Won’t be as snappy as a zoom though.

It’s been many years since I used to try similar with my parents dog. There was a serious flaw in my 5D2 and 70-200 mk2 setup back then. Still got some ok shots but testing for any af system. Their current Labrador is much slower. Might give it a go in the spring when I get the mount changed on my 135 art. Won’t be as snappy as a zoom though.

I do often come up against the problem of focus locking onto her chest rather than face so I end up with a whole burst with the chest tack sharp and face OOF. It's a problem I had more with my other camera (A6000) and I realise that something running straight towards the camera is one of the hardest workouts for AF but it's the shots I want so I will keep at it. Of course if Sony firmware brings animal face/eye detect to the A7 III my life should get a whole lot easier.

@Livin The Dream

From a couple of shots further in the same burst.

45106868344_a694961511_o by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Awesome!

I’ve found spot sometimes can pick up foreground elements if they’re very close to the point you want to focus, even if they’re on very different focal planes. Testing it the other night where I had someone with their phone up and trying to pick the eye behind, wasn’t too clever tbh. Eye af in poor light also didn’t help so I’m still working out what it struggles with. I’d like to be able to just turn the focus ring and jump straight into MF mode ideally, but don’t think that’s possible.

On another note, anyone know whether you can have the exposure meter show in live view during manual? It shows compensation in numerical values to 2 stops either way. Think it shows in the VF but not the screen?

Last edited:
Last edited:
The weather here is awful. Dark, raining and windy. I'll have a few hours out of the house tomorrow as I need to take one of my cars in for am MoT. It'd be nice to take a camera out but if the weather is like this I might not bother :(

Anyone else having problems getting the updater to work? Was a faff last time I recall. have tried both Mac and Windows,

Back