The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

To update the firmware do you need to use a USB cable connected to a computer? Can you use the memory card? I bought my A7Riii used off here and don’t have a USB to usb-c cable (it has a hdmi to usb-c cable in the box).

To update the firmware do you need to use a USB cable connected to a computer? Can you use the memory card? I bought my A7Riii used off here and don’t have a USB to usb-c cable (it has a hdmi to usb-c cable in the box).

Has to be a USB micro or USB-C.

They say you should use the one supplied with camera, I just did it with a decent USB C - takes about five minutes after downloading.
The main thing is you don't want any hint of flakey worn or wobbly connection either end, because interrupting the transfer would be bad news.

Dust seems to be getting the better of me, I was doing fine with running the cleaning routine and using a rocket but there's some persistent small dust particles it's not dislodging now.

Compressed air would probably work but I don't want to use it in case I get unlucky, any recommendations on what else to use?

Dust seems to be getting the better of me, I was doing fine with running the cleaning routine and using a rocket but there's some persistent small dust particles it's not dislodging now.

Compressed air would probably work but I don't want to use it in case I get unlucky, any recommendations on what else to use?
Definitely don't use compressed air!! Some kind of dry clean would be my first tool if a blower didn't work. A few years ago i went to SRS Microsystems in Watford with a list of cleaning kit I was going to purchase. I was going to get an Arctic Butterfly brush but they recommended the lensmen sensorklear instead. It was much cheaper so it wasn't like they were trying to up sell. I also purchased the wet clean swabs but never needed to use them yet.

https://lenspen.com/product/sensorklear-ii/

If all else fails use a wet clean. I must be an excessively mucky photographer because I had to wet clean my Canon and Olympus sensors on several occasions . I’ve had to do it once on my A7R3. I always use a loupe and follow the destructions.
Since I’ve started to use a rocket blower every time I change a lens I’ve not had to use a wet clean, maybe, just maybe I’ve learnt something.

I don't tend to clean mine that often but shoot wide open mostly so I don't see the problems unless I look for them.

However, I have used most things over the years and the butterfly's are ok for a quick dust down; the sensor clear pens are good for a stubborn mark; wet swabs are messy and the residue sometimes can be a pain so last resort when all else fails. For just dust, the best IMO is the eye lead. Works a treat.

I haven't needed to clean my camera sensors for a long time but when I do I use a Pec pad wrapped around a slice cut from an old credit card and a drop Eclipse fluid. Saves on buying ready made cleaning stick thingies if you're a bit tight, like me.

You buy it once, then reuse the stick with new pec pads.

I'll do the sums but a pack of Pec pads and a bottle of fluid seem cheap enough and last a loooooooong time. In fact since I went digital I'm only on my second of each.

I'll do the sums but a pack of Pec pads and a bottle of fluid seem cheap enough and last a loooooooong time. In fact since I went digital I'm only on my second of each.

I bought a set of pre-made ones when i got my 5D2 and 100 pec pads and 1 bottle of fluid. I still haven't run out yet and I shoot 2 bodies so every time I clean, i use double.

Ive had a look in the manual to see what contents would be included but sadly not if you buy it used and its not in the box. There was a hdmi to usb-c cable instead so can't moan. I've got one on order now so all sorted.

You can also use a micro USB. The ones that come with smartphones generally works quite well unless you have an iPhone

I bought a set of pre-made ones when i got my 5D2 and 100 pec pads and 1 bottle of fluid. I still haven't run out yet and I shoot 2 bodies so every time I clean, i use double.
5D2? That must have been yesterday. I got mine when I had my 300D in 1258 when Henry III was still on the throne.

As in a gel stick? I like the idea but there have been some reviewers that managed to damage their sensor with one so it's made me a little reluctant.

There was an issue with the original gel sticks on sony sensors, and Eyelead brought out a sony friendly version - I have the sony version but haven’t used it yet, I find wet cleaning simple and effective.

There was an issue with the original gel sticks on sony sensors, and Eyelead brought out a sony friendly version - I have the sony version but haven’t used it yet, I find wet cleaning simple and effective.

Wasn’t aware of this and mine is a good 4 years old? It was ok on my 750 (Sony sensor)

I plan on some wildlife photography next year, so a long zoom is on the cards for me. I was looking at the sigma 150-600 lenses, then the sony 100-400, and now the sigma 60-600. The new sigma is getting brilliant reviews, but the sony is about a kg lighter it seems, very sharp, and works well with converters if needed.
Any opinions? (The sony price is considerably better grey)

It is quicker to clean a dirty sensor than to remove multiple sensor spots from dozens of images!

Get the Sony. AF alone is worth the extra.
You don't have good AF with the sigma at the long end

I plan on some wildlife photography next year, so a long zoom is on the cards for me. I was looking at the sigma 150-600 lenses, then the sony 100-400, and now the sigma 60-600. The new sigma is getting brilliant reviews, but the sony is about a kg lighter it seems, very sharp, and works well with converters if needed.

Thanks for this, worth knowing.

Are mirrorless cameras more susceptible to dust than dslr’s? I don’t go looking for it and don’t bother unless I see an issue. Who cleans regularly?

There is no mirror on a mirrorless camera so the sensor is open to dust every time you change lenses.

The normal SLR has a mirror in front of the sensor which reduces the chance of dust getting in when changing lenses.
You can minimise dust by being careful when changing - e.g point camera downwards and if possible use a blower on everything before you start.
Sooner or later specs will still get in, common sticky spots is pollen and skin flakes which make up a lot of house dust.

Thanks for this, worth knowing.

Are mirrorless cameras more susceptible to dust than dslr’s? I don’t go looking for it and don’t bother unless I see an issue. Who cleans regularly?

Kinda.

Same amount of dust will get in, but no mirror in the way, so more likely to get dust on the sensor where on a DSLR it would just go onto the mirror.

Yep have an iPhone. the only cable I don't have is this one.

:facepalm:
Serves you right. Now go sit in the corner and think about what you have done.

Seriously though it's worth buying a decent USB cable anyway. Most cameras use these. I believe Amazon basics used to do a decent one. Have a look.

Get the Sony. AF alone is worth the extra.
You don't have good AF with the sigma at the long end

Thanks, you have this lens don’t you? Are you happy with it? I think Steven sk66 has the new sigma and is pleased?
Looking at specs the sigma weighs 2.7kg, the sony weighs 1.4kg. I know it isn’t as long, but the converter won’t add too much weight.

Thanks, you have this lens don’t you? Are you happy with it? I think Steven sk66 has the new sigma and is pleased?
Looking at specs the sigma weighs 2.7kg, the sony weighs 1.4kg. I know it isn’t as long, but the converter won’t add too much weight.

Yep the sharpest telezoom I have used. If were to adapt I'd go for the a-mount 70-400mm because of the 70mm end. That's still my favourite telezoom.

Sigma from what I have seen wth the 100-400 and 150-600 just don't adapt very well. The AF is barely reliable in AF-S and not at all useable in AF-C past 250mm.
In contrast the Sony 100-400 is darn good. I'll post a seaseque of shots I took of heron in flight tonight. It didn't post them because the shots aren't great photographically but the bird is in sharp focus.

Last edited:
There is no mirror on a mirrorless camera so the sensor is open to dust every time you change lenses.

The normal SLR has a mirror in front of the sensor which reduces the chance of dust getting in when changing lenses.
You can minimise dust by being careful when changing - e.g point camera downwards and if possible use a blower on everything before you start.
Sooner or later specs will still get in, common sticky spots is pollen and skin flakes which make up a lot of house dust.

Kinda.

Same amount of dust will get in, but no mirror in the way, so more likely to get dust on the sensor where on a DSLR it would just go onto the mirror.

Completely understand that of course, but dust just gets everywhere, regardless. Maybe I’ll go looking for it a little more than I did.

Hi, I would like to give you my take on this question, I owned the Sony 100-400 and it was indeed excellent in all respects but even with the 1.4 converter it just did not give me the reach that I required, I had read many conflicting reports about the Sigma 150-600 on Sony cameras so I decided the only way to tell if it worked or not was to get one and try it myself, to minimise any loss should it not work I bought used, the lens, Mc-11, the dock, and a 1.4 converter were all bought used at a considerable saving, with everything including my A7111 updated to the latest firmware I found it worked very well indeed even with the 1.4 which surprised me, I was happy enough with it to sell the Sony lens and I have not regretted it, I should emphasise that this is with the A7111 on latest firmware I know this will not apply to all the Sony models, the Sony lens is sharper and the AF is quicker but the difference is small, my conclusion is if 400mm is long enough or indeed 560mm at F.8 go for the Sony you will not regret it The Sigma I bought is the sport version and the only downside I can find is that it weighs as much as a small car, no doubt some one will be along soon to tell me how wrong I am but this is my experience.

I can't recall having visible dust in my photos with a Nikon over 2-3 years of use but with the Sony it happened almost immediately, to date I've been running the cleaning routine and giving it a blast from a rocket which has worked fine but for some reason the last session had a lot of dust in all the shots.

DSLR was so much less hassle in this regard, not the end of the world of course but annoying I've had to go from not worrying about it to needing a routine.

Sold my D750 and just a couple of lenses to shift before i make the leap to the a7iii and sigma 35mm. Just realised that the a7iii doesn't come with a charger and you have to charge in camera... annoying :(

Had a brief boiler scare today, so need to buy it asap before the misses claims the funds :D

Back