The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Some people seem to have been saying that the A7III is close enough in some areas to the A9 and that the A9 is maybe not worth the extra… if that was the case does this firmware update go anywhere near making the A9 a more capable and attractive option despite and to justify the cost?

I have owned an A7R3 A9 and A73 and think they all have strong points. However I chose the A73 out of the 3.

Eye-AF. Be interesting how good and accurate it is due to the complex of an animal eye and how they can differ animal to animal.

Are you struggling with the AF box colour?
You need to take it out of the box [emoji16]
:ROFLMAO:
Yeah, animal eyeAF be damned; I want seconds on my bloody clock!

Swapping eye is cool, but I'd love it if it had an option to swap person too. I often find it picks someone in the background when I use Eye AF when there are several people in the frame.

I'd also like:
14 bit lossless compressed RAW
Full-sized JPEG previews
double exposures
A way of quickly turning auto iso on and off
Make the REC button customisable. It would be ideal for EyeAF
Minimum shutter in Auto ISO should allow 1/3 stop increments.
Do you use the touchscreen? If so i'm pretty sure you can tap a person face, then hit eyeAF and it'll pick up that persons face/eye (think it try's to detect the closest eye to the focus point). Should be quicker there trying to cycle through the different people (if that ever becomes an option)

Last edited:
Also, new APS-C

A6400......

https://alphauniverse.com/stories/s...-time-tracking-and-world-s-fastest-autofocus/

Seemingly no IBIS. Didn't mention a £ price but €1050

I saw this on ThePhoblographer earlier and am also a bit confused about it. I hadn't seen that IBIS wasn't fitted but did see a reference to A9 AF system. If they're looking to slot in below the A6500 it's a strange choice to have the number so close. Personally I'd choose IBIS over better AF (depending on how much better it really is!) as that's the main reason why I've just bought an A6500 :0)

I saw this on ThePhoblographer earlier and am also a bit confused about it. I hadn't seen that IBIS wasn't fitted but did see a reference to A9 AF system. If they're looking to slot in below the A6500 it's a strange choice to have the number so close. Personally I'd choose IBIS over better AF (depending on how much better it really is!) as that's the main reason why I've just bought an A6500 :0)
Did you get the sigma 56mm?

Do you use the touchscreen? If so i'm pretty sure you can tap a person face, then hit eyeAF and it'll pick up that persons face/eye (think it try's to detect the closest eye to the focus point). Should be quicker there trying to cycle through the different people (if that ever becomes an option)

If that is the case I'm not sure that would work for me given the speed at which I'm working and that it would only work well in LCD mode. Certainly, I've noticed EyeAF doesn't always pay heed to the focus point - that would be my preferred system.

Some people seem to have been saying that the A7III is close enough in some areas to the A9 and that the A9 is maybe not worth the extra… if that was the case does this firmware update go anywhere near making the A9 a more capable and attractive option despite and to justify the cost?

The 400+? A7III contrast detection points currently outguns the A9's 25, so getting the V5 firmware to update the A9 will improve that considerable - great news for me.

I'm hoping for good improvements in maintaining face/eye AF, particular at the edge of the frame. An example scenario - when shooting static subjects indoors in an orchestra, grabbing face and recomposing can sometimes lose focus on the face.

At this point the A7III has only two benefits left, 10 FPS mechanical shutter and cost.

The A9 still has 200+ RAW buffer, 20 FPS, silent shooting with minimal banding and no perceptible rolling shutter. I'm also led to believe it has better autofocus, but I've not looked into the evidence - they are both excellent of course.

I would have still picked the A9 before the firmware update, and now I'm just like a giddy school girl

(black out free shooting might also be an A9 benefit, but I don't know about the A7III in this regard)

Last edited:
I haven't ordered it yet. I'm still torn between the 30 and the 56, alongside the 16.

I run the 24GM and FE85. Surprisingly works remarkably well more so than my previously preferred 35mm+85mm prime combo. I have come to really like this combo.
So I'd suggest the 56mm.

Dammit @dancook, I want two of them now! I'm banning myself from looking at panamoz for at least 6 months...

I do wonder when the A9 Mark II will be out now, if there is a global shutter which can completely eliminate any possibility of banding - that could be all I need to upgrade my cameras.

Eliminating the possibility of banding just means I wouldn't have to go to 1/125th to avoid it. (in some artificial lighting)

The 400+? A7III contrast detection points currently outguns the A9's 25, so getting the V5 firmware to update the A9 will improve that considerable - great news for me.

I'm hoping for good improvements in maintaining face/eye AF, particular at the edge of the frame. An example scenario - when shooting static subjects indoors in an orchestra, grabbing face and recomposing can sometimes lose focus on the face.

At this point the A7III has only two benefits left, 10 FPS mechanical shutter and cost.

The A9 still has 200+ RAW buffer, 20 FPS, silent shooting with minimal banding and no perceptible rolling shutter. I'm also led to believe it has better autofocus, but I've not looked into the evidence - they are both excellent of course.

I would have still picked the A9 before the firmware update, and now I'm just like a giddy school girl

(black out free shooting might also be an A9 benefit, but I don't know about the A7III in this regard)

Your a9 still trumps the a73 with an up to date evf, build quality and external controls.

So it was Alfies birthday the other day.

You can see how impressed he was with what is basically an exercise bike that we got him.
1.jpg

Then he realised it worked with his tablet and it started to get interesting for him.

2.jpg

Now with real concentration and tongue out to prove it he reckoned he could win this

3.jpg

I have owned an A7R3 A9 and A73 and think they all have strong points. However I chose the A73 out of the 3.

I think in reality although I might always regret it just a bit I'd probably never want to spend what the A9 costs. Given the reality of standing in the shop or sitting with my finger over the buy button I'd probably always go for the A7III.

Until I read this...

:D

Last edited:
If that is the case I'm not sure that would work for me given the speed at which I'm working and that it would only work well in LCD mode. Certainly, I've noticed EyeAF doesn't always pay heed to the focus point - that would be my preferred system.
Even when you are using the view finder you can use your fingers on the touchpad/lcd screen to move the focus points around and activate the feature. Of course, whatever you find quicker :)

I think in reality although I might always regret it just a bit I'd probably never want to spend what the A9 costs. Given the reality of standing in the shop or sitting with my finger over the buy button I'd probably always go for the A7III.

Until I read this...

:D

I had more success with the A73. The A9 was probably too complex for my simple mind TBH!

I was getting more consistent AF tracking with the A73 and far more keepers. I just couldnt get the A9 working for me and it was just a frustrating experience.

I was worried about the lack of black out free shooting, but in reality, its no worse than a DSLR.

The A9 is a machine in the right hands... but just not mine!

I had more success with the A73. The A9 was probably too complex for my simple mind TBH!

I was getting more consistent AF tracking with the A73 and far more keepers. I just couldnt get the A9 working for me and it was just a frustrating experience.

I was worried about the lack of black out free shooting, but in reality, its no worse than a DSLR.

The A9 is a machine in the right hands... but just not mine!
Yup in the right hands this is what it can do
GrassRootsDay7-A9-1323.jpegGrassRootsDay7-A9-1482.jpegGrassRootsDay7-A9-1447.jpeg

I run the 24GM and FE85. Surprisingly works remarkably well more so than my previously preferred 35mm+85mm prime combo. I have come to really like this combo.
So I'd suggest the 56mm.

I've brought my A6500 with me to work today, along with my 35/2.8 and 50/1.8 OM Zuiko lenses to try them side by side. I got used to shooting with the FE50 on my A7 so am leaning towards the Sigma 30mm but the draw of the slightly longer focal of the 56mm is giving me a challenge to decide. In an ideal world I've buy all three (16/30/56) and try the two longer lenses side by side to make a decision but my piggy bank is saying no at the moment. I guess I need to build some more Chroma's to pay for them :0)

I've brought my A6500 with me to work today, along with my 35/2.8 and 50/1.8 OM Zuiko lenses to try them side by side. I got used to shooting with the FE50 on my A7 so am leaning towards the Sigma 30mm but the draw of the slightly longer focal of the 56mm is giving me a challenge to decide. In an ideal world I've buy all three (16/30/56) and try the two longer lenses side by side to make a decision but my piggy bank is saying no at the moment. I guess I need to build some more Chroma's to pay for them :0)

Well, I'm halfway towards a decision, as I've just bought a used Sigma 30/1.4 to test it out. I should have it tomorrow and can go from there.

I loved the A9 but the lack of picture profiles for video was a deal breaker. If they were introduced I'd buy another in a heartbeat

Amazing camera, absolute dream to shoot with for everything apart from video....

This year I've promised myself to do more wide photography on my A7 III. Cityscapes, landscapes etc. I'm just lost with which lens to choose. The widest I currently have is a 28mm Praktica. So I've pretty much left myself open to something in the 14-20mm range.

Budget option: Samyang 14mm f/2.8 Manual Focus £229

Other contenders

Sigma Art 20mm f/1.4 £699
Tokina 20mm f/2 Firin MF £500
Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 £649
Laowa 15mm F/2 £899 (too many pennies)

I do wonder if something vintage may be 'as good' for less outlay.

Any thoughts & experiences much appreciated.

This year I've promised myself to do more wide photography on my A7 III. Cityscapes, landscapes etc. I'm just lost with which lens to choose. The widest I currently have is a 28mm Praktica. So I've pretty much left myself open to something in the 14-20mm range.

Budget option: Samyang 14mm f/2.8 Manual Focus £229

Other contenders

Sigma Art 20mm f/1.4 £699
Tokina 20mm f/2 Firin MF £500
Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 £649
Laowa 15mm F/2 £899 (too many pennies)

I do wonder if something vintage may be 'as good' for less outlay.

Any thoughts & experiences much appreciated.
Had the samyang 14mm/2.8 which is decent lens if you manage to find a good copy but with HUGE distortion. It's also a DSLR lens i.e. huge.
The sigma ART 20mm is also a DSLR design that's rather big. But from what I have read it's sharp.
Used to own the voigtlander 15mm f4.5 which is a small and sharp lens that makes beautiful sunstars from wide open. Get this lens if you want ultimate portability with great IQ. The down side is the hood is fixed which means you can only use 58mm filters i.e. no step up rings or square filters which can be a hindrance for landscapes.
I currently own and shoot with the laowa 15mm f2. It's fairly small for such a fast lens. Very sharp even from wide open. Beautifully designed and best of all it takes 72mm filters with a hood that comes off.
I hear tokina firin is decent but never really used one or tested one to comment.

Other options:
@stevelmx5 was selling a Nikon 20mm f3.5 which is very decent and small.
I used to own a Olympus OM 21mm f3.5 which was sharp and small.
Zeiss Batis 18mm f2.8 is one of the best UWA money can buy.
There was a couple of Sony 16-35mm f4 lenses in sales forum. A great sharp lens with a very useful zoom range.
I recently had the tamron adaptall 17mm f3.5 and a tokina 17mm f3.5. they did well stopped down to f8-11. They are cheaper but you get what you pay for with these.

I am bit of a UWA junkie :D
I have basically owned or used a lot of them, more than I care to remember lol

Last edited:
I loved the A9 but the lack of picture profiles for video was a deal breaker. If they were introduced I'd buy another in a heartbeat

Amazing camera, absolute dream to shoot with for everything apart from video....

To be fair I’m not 100% sure I didn’t receive a dud. I mean it was open box form Panamoz so anything could have happened.

It could have been my bad skills but with the same settings and lens the A73 didn’t have the same issue with out of focus images.

Had the samyang 14mm/2.8 which is decent lens of you manage to find a good copy but with HUGE distortion. It's also a DSLR lens i.e. huge.
The sigma ART 20mm is also a DSLR design that's rather big. But from what I have read it's sharp.
Used to own the voigtlander 15mm f4.5 which is a small and sharp lens that makes beautiful sunstars from wide open. Get this lens if you want ultimate portability with great IQ. The down side is the good is fixed which means you can only use 58mm filters i.e. no step up rings or square filters which can be a hindrance for landscapes.
I currently own and shoot with the laowa 15mm f2. It's fairly small for such a fast lens. Very sharp even from wide open. Beautifully designed and best of all it takes 72mm filters with a hood that comes off.
I hear tokina firin is decent but never really used one or tested one to comment.

Other options:
@stevelmx5 was selling a Nikon 20mm f3.5 which is very decent and small.
I used to own a Olympus OM 21mm f3.5 which was sharp and small.
Zeiss Batis 18mm f2.8 is one of the best UWA money can buy.
There was a couple of Sony 16-35mm f4 lenses in sales forum. A great sharp lens with a very useful zoom range.
I recently had the tamron adaptall 17mm f3.5 and a tokina 17mm f3.5. they did well stopped down to f8-11. They are cheaper but you get what you pay for with these.

I am bit of a UWA junkie :D
I have basically owned or used a lot of them, more than I care to remember lol

Thanks so much, very useful post. I'm going to have a good read about some older lenses. I have a 70-200 and 150-600 on my want list too so I don't really want to blow too much. You mention the Tamron and Tokina being good stopped down, so I guess for daytime shooting they could be options but maybe not so hot for Astro (not that I've done much of that yet).

I start googling random stuff when I get bored.

Have read a few comments about people coming from D750 to the A7III disappointed with the low light AF in comparison during wedding receptions, saying the A7III would hunt and not lock focus when the lights went down.

Anyone experienced this? I know there are plenty in here that have made the switch so thought it'd be better asking you guys.

Have read a few comments about people coming from D750 to the A7III disappointed with the low light AF in comparison during wedding receptions, saying the A7III would hunt and not lock focus when the lights went down.

Anyone experienced this? I know there are plenty in here that have made the switch so thought it'd be better asking you guys.

Complete nonsense in my experience. I have found th a.f on the A7III to be much better for weddings than the D750’s I used previously.

The downside I have found is that the D750 handles noise better at base ISO although the A7III is better at high ISO. The D750 in good light has better colours straight out of camera. Although I personally feel the A7III gives better colours straight out of camera in difficult lighting conditions.

Thanks so much, very useful post. I'm going to have a good read about some older lenses. I have a 70-200 and 150-600 on my want list too so I don't really want to blow too much. You mention the Tamron and Tokina being good stopped down, so I guess for daytime shooting they could be options but maybe not so hot for Astro (not that I've done much of that yet).

As per @nandbytes post, I've got my Nikon 20/3.5 in the classifieds. It's a very smooth/lightweight ultra wide on the A7 which delivers good results. Close focus is also very good. If you're looking for a cheaper option to dip your toe in, it's a solid lens that isn't huge on the A7.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskwt17Qx

Can't comment for A7III but A7RIII isn't as good as D750 in low light for AF. It's pretty decent but can sometimes hunt. It's getting there and I imagine the latest firmware AF improvements or the next gen will get it past the D750 for low light AF.

I wouldn't bother with them for astro.

The samyang 14mm f2.8 is the best cheap astro lens. But with latest sensors you can get decent astro shots even voigtlander 15mm.

If you care about AF skip the 150-600.

Na. Used a barbie doll toy camera as part of a cheap camera challenge by digital rev

Haha where can I get one?!

TBH I wasn’t sure if it was me or the camera that failed. I like to think it was a camera issue as the A7iii has not really missed anything.

I’m half tempted to borrow my mates this weekend if he is not using it to try it again.

It could be down to settings maybe, what do you use for sports when it comes to the focus area? So many to choose from, spot, expanded, wide, wider ete etc!!

Stupid question. When using lock on area af do you still have to keep the shutter button pressed half way when tracking or does the camera lock on at half press and stay locked on?

Haha where can I get one?!

TBH I wasn’t sure if it was me or the camera that failed. I like to think it was a camera issue as the A7iii has not really missed anything.

I’m half tempted to borrow my mates this weekend if he is not using it to try it again.

It could be down to settings maybe, what do you use for sports when it comes to the focus area? So many to choose from, spot, expanded, wide, wider ete etc!!
I am messing around between wide af and flexible large af!

I literally just made a thread about it over in dp

After a long time with my Nikon D700 and loads of old AF-D lenses, I'm considering switching to an A7 III. I wanted to hear people with experience using the FE 85mm 1.8 and 1.4. Leaving build quality to one side, did you notice an appreciable enough difference in image quality and bokeh to justify spending the extra money?

Or am I completely mad to ignore Nikon nostalgia and wait for them to release the Z mount 85mm 1.8 S later this year and get a Nikon Z?

Back