The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

They managed with 35mm film and MF because at the time there was nothing else. The market has changed and so have expectations.

So Oly shouldn't have bothered with this? You see no market for this at all? No one will buy it and it'll be a complete and utter sales disaster? Maybe... but just maybe if taking kit into an extreme environment this could be a viable option? Maybe? Just because I use my A7 in pouring rain, a blizzard on a sandy beach or hot and humid Thailand doesn't mean everyone will :D and there are limits to what I'll risk. I will not for example risk a wave breaking over me and the kit.

I do think that this Oly will sell in niche numbers. I could be wrong, time will tell.

Even if it bombs it needn't be a financial disaster for Oly. I have worked with companies doing low production assembly not too unlike what this camera will go through and as long as other stuff trickles through production to keep it ticking over it's no problem if the odd high cost slow seller comes along now and again. It'll probably be built and tested by the same staff at the same workstations and just be another Kanban item going through... As long as the special requirements and component costs aren't too extreme, and I doubt they are with this camera, a slow seller needn't be a disaster as a few extra minutes fitting some extra seals etc and a different body might not kill the product or the company as they're charging more for it.

Lets wait and see.

Last edited:
The SL was frustrating at times, I didn't have the 24-90 which if I did would have made weddings easier.

I had the 50mm 1.4 which had slow Af. I had the 90-280 which struggled in low light. Due to aperture and contrast af

I was using the leica Q for wide shots.

When the time came to consider the 24-90 I also thought I'd need a second Sl body. It would have been an expensive path to keep following and as much as I enjoyed the camera and quality I'd still not have a system that could do it all.

The Sony system made better business sense. Wouldn't be shooting sport and fashion shows like I do otherwise.

Last edited:
Is the build on the A9 meant to be better than the A7iii?

In hand the A9 just seems to feel a bit more solid and the controls seem to have a slightly better feel.

Anyone had issues with dust in brand new 85mm 1.8 FE lenses?

On my second brand new one now. 1st had dust and a couple of micro scratches in the front element. Second has dust and a smear on one of the inner elements.

Both brand new. :confused:

On my second brand new one now. 1st had dust and a couple of micro scratches in the front element. Second has dust and a smear on one of the inner elements.

Where did you order from?

I have known new lenses to come with a bit of dust sometimes (all lenses have dust, if you can't see it just means you just don't have a powerful enough torch ;) ).
But definitely not any smears or scratches on the glass. Sounds like returned\used copies have been sold on to you as new.

Last edited:
I have known new lenses to come with a bit of dust sometimes (all lenses have dust, if you can't see it just means you just don't have a powerful enough torch ;) ).
But definitely not any smears or scratches on the glass. Sounds like returned\used copies have been sold on to you as new.

That’s what I’m thinking.

I can stand a bit of dust, it’s inevitable at some point. I just can’t stand the other issues on a ‘brand new’ lens though.

E-infinity - well, their eBay shop. Didn’t know it was them until the dispatch email.

Efinity are getting a bit of a rep for stuff like that.

Seen someone on Facebook the other day complaining about receiving a camera body that had obvious signs of use and the box had a different serial number than the camera.

It seems the panasonic S1R has 360 shots battery life. That's a bit disappointing for such a large body. You'd think a big body ought to come with a nice beefy juicy battery ;)

I've had only good experiences from E-infinity 4 lenses so far and all brand spanking new untouched. I can imagine it being disheartening if this kind of thing happens.

Efinity are getting a bit of a rep for stuff like that.

Seen someone on Facebook the other day complaining about receiving a camera body that had obvious signs of use and the box had a different serial number than the camera.

Yeah it's a shame - both boxes had there seals removed, and when I asked why this was the case their response was 'this is due to the origin or our stocks' - they wouldn't expand any further on that.

They also claimed they have received a lot of complains about this lens....

I've had only good experiences from E-infinity 4 lenses so far and all brand spanking new untouched. I can imagine it being disheartening if this kind of thing happens.

Yeah it's a strange one - they seem trustworthy and CS is pretty decent, just annoying to have this twice. They are now claiming all of their 85mm 1.8 FE lenses have dust in and they have no 'perfect ones'. Seems a little odd to me.

Yeah it's a shame - both boxes had there seals removed, and when I asked why this was the case their response was 'this is due to the origin or our stocks' - they wouldn't expand any further on that.

Yeah it's a strange one - they seem trustworthy and CS is pretty decent, just annoying to have this twice. They are now claiming all of their 85mm 1.8 FE lenses have dust in and they have no 'perfect ones'. Seems a little odd to me.

I've had Sony, sigma, tamron, Fuji and Nikon lenses with dust in from the factory.

I got my 85 1.8 from them and can confirm it was completely unmarked and without dust ;)

Hopefully they will sort you with an easy refund that will show how good there customer service is. Think they might be closed for a while now though most of the Chinese companies are.

Would love to go to a photography show. I went to a hifi show years ago and loved it.

No snow here but a heavy frost today and expected for Friday. Might be able to get an hour out with a camera :D

35mm 1.8 lol

I'm counting the days... :D

If it's relatively compact and even reasonably good they can charge what they want for it and I'll pay. If it is any good I think it'll be sold out for a while.

PS.
I think we're going to Singapore in the summer if things go well so it'd be nice to have one for then.

Last edited:
I had it on a d750, I though it was really nice but I don't often shoot wide. Can't see it being poor on an a7.

Looking at some samples last night and the bokeh looked a bit odd on a few. I need to plug the gap but won't be something I use a lot of. It's either an Art or a secondhand Batis.

Looking at some samples last night and the bokeh looked a bit odd on a few. I need to plug the gap but won't be something I use a lot of. It's either an Art or a secondhand Batis.

I've pretty much resorted to using mech shutter. The electronic scan / e front curtain definitely has an impact on bokeh, noticed this from when I changed to mirrorless, not an issue with mech shutter though.

Manny Ortiz has some samples that shows just how extreme an impact the e shutter has. Some micro 4/3 cams have auto mech shutter for fast shutter speeds. No idea why Sony doesn't implement this (and seconds on the clock and an illuminated AF box) they're too busy with animal eye AF lmao

I've pretty much resorted to using mech shutter. The electronic scan / e front curtain definitely has an impact on bokeh, noticed this from when I changed to mirrorless, not an issue with mech shutter though.

Manny Ortiz has some samples that shows just how extreme an impact the e shutter has. Some micro 4/3 cams have auto mech shutter for fast shutter speeds. No idea why Sony doesn't implement this (and seconds on the clock and an illuminated AF box) they're too busy with animal eye AF lmao

Hi Tony, does the tech inside the a9 mean it doesn't suffer the same side effects?

E.F.C.S does help with shutter shock though.

Good article on it here. https://photographylife.com/what-is-electronic-front-curtain-shutter

As with all things need to choose the right settings for the right situations.

E.F.C.S can also cause issue with flash.

I have it in My Menu so I can enable/disable it easily as required.

E.F.C.S does help with shutter shock though.

Good article on it here. https://photographylife.com/what-is-electronic-front-curtain-shutter

As with all things need to choose the right settings for the right situations.

E.F.C.S can also cause issue with flash.

I have it in My Menu so I can enable/disable it easily as required.

Yeah, only time I don't have the mech shutter on now though is for ceremony!

I've been happier just basically having the electronic shutter off mostly. Always found the rendering to be different when I changed over. It's subtle but noticeable to me, esp with the 35 and 85 1.4

Back