The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Yeah, only time I don't have the mech shutter on now though is for ceremony!

I've been happier just basically having the electronic shutter off mostly. Always found the rendering to be different when I changed over. It's subtle but noticeable to me, esp with the 35 and 85 1.4

Yep, I can notice the difference too. Rendering is definitely different especially with large aperture lenses wide open.

I do wonder though if most people would see the difference.

Yep, I can notice the difference too. Rendering is definitely different especially with large aperture lenses wide open.

I do wonder though if most people would see the difference.

Probably not man lol. I wish it could be set to a custom button to enable and disable the e shutter. Be handier than going into a menu.

I've also noticed how much these cameras struggle under some artificial lighting, when you're at Darver next time wait to you see the craziness for speeches lol

Richard Watson is really struggling with them in factories etc too and his profoto lights. The way he treats his kit though I wouldn't be surprised if it was more his lights being faulty

Probably not man lol. I wish it could be set to a custom button to enable and disable the e shutter. Be handier than going into a menu.

I've also noticed how much these cameras struggle under some artificial lighting, when you're at Darver next time wait to you see the craziness for speeches lol

Richard Watson is really struggling with them in factories etc too and his profoto lights. The way he treats his kit though I wouldn't be surprised if it was more his lights being faulty

Depends on the venues lighting I guess, had some really weird lighting conditions at a wedding recently where we shot both Sony and Nikon. The Sony performed much better than the Nikon.

To be honest I probably still prefer to use Nikon DSLR's with flash.

on A9 you can, C3 by default.

Guessing it's not the A9 though, and I'm not delving through posts to find out :D

All my Sony gear buying is paying off, I did my self-assessment and I will be getting a tax rebate to 20% of the value of everything I bought in Q1 2018 :D oh yay!

Guessing it's not the A9 though, and I'm not delving through posts to find out :D

That's right, I remember that on my A9 and was frustrated I couldn't do the same on the 7III

Game changing custom buttons

I thought that C3 on the A9 is set to focus mode by default, could be wrong though.

It might explain the odd renditions that occasionally I saw when I was considering the switch, put me off at one point. I don't think I understand the switching between both shutters properly? Can you do that without using silent mode? Have left mine constantly in mechanical, having tried silent a few times.

It might explain the odd renditions that occasionally I saw when I was considering the switch, put me off at one point. I don't think I understand the switching between both shutters properly? Can you do that without using silent mode? Have left mine constantly in mechanical, having tried silent a few times.

You need to turn off E.F.C.S in the menu for full mechanical.

Have now cheers. When would the camera select electronic over mechanical?

It won't if you have it switched off in the menu you would have to enable it again.

It will either be always on or always off depending on what you have it set to in the menu.

E.F.C.S is useful when using slow shutter speeds as it helps with shutter shock.

It won't if you have it switched off in the menu you would have to enable it again.

It will either be always on or always off depending on what you have it set to in the menu.

E.F.C.S is useful when using slow shutter speeds as it helps with shutter shock.

Bit annoying that it's on as default, ah well, I now know. And the best if it, bokeh has been ok [emoji23]

Last edited:
It looks almost warm in the sun, A7 and Tokina 17mm f3.5.

In reality we had a light dusting but it isn't as cold as yesterday..

VMyJ5m3.jpg

I got stabbed a few times by the branches and twigs but I survived.

Last edited:
Still collecting, I passed on the FE 24mm f1.4 GM recently though.....been dealing with my Sony GAS quite well since before Christmas :D lol

Its a beautiful piece of glass, its turned into my favourite lens! Suppose you are more of a tele-end person than wide angles.

My day off coincided with the snow (usually occurs when I’m at work) so I took a trip out with the camera to the local deer park. Didn’t find the deer because of swans on a frozen pond.

Good test for the 100-400 but I’m not sure my hand holding at 400mm is any good yet. One thing it shown was that I can’t wait for animal eye AF, I was trying to move the AF point all over the place with the joystick control.

A few photos I took.

3F6A2583-F7D5-4E69-B5D1-44BDB58D4A27.jpeg

3BF48A9E-E305-4CD3-B897-00C7A7927C90.jpeg

D13C50C1-F88D-45BF-BC3E-69ADA11FBA74.jpeg

Last edited:
Been playing around cropping the A7R3 files I took today. I’m amazed that cropping a 4x3 landscape image from a portrait orientation still gives around a 20mp file. Seems an extreme crop but probably still good enough for web viewing.

84CA028E-52F3-4D1D-9998-C901A18E1188.jpeg

Back