The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Looks heavy still though, looks like a squashed 70-200. Wonder what the weight difference is if any. Plus it extends which I personally dislike in a zoom lens.

It does? Ewww. Superzooms, okay, shorter FLs, nope.

Looks heavy still though, looks like a squashed 70-200. Wonder what the weight difference is is any.

yes probably not much difference in weight. I imagine it extends to the same length as other 70-200mm/2.8 at 200mm. But still the small size when not extended is nice and useful.

yes probably not much difference in weight. I imagine it extends to the same length as other 70-200mm/2.8 at 200mm. But still the small size when not extended is nice and useful.

Do you think so? I would much rather have a longer lens that doesn’t extend than this.

Do you think so? I would much rather have a longer lens that doesn’t extend than this.

well depends on the lens. for a macro lens I prefer something like sony 90G which doesn't extend. For large zooms I think the space saving is worth it. For example I currently have a 100-400GM which extends. It'd be far too big if they made it in a non-extendable design.

well depends on the lens. for a macro lens I prefer something like sony 90G which doesn't extend. For large zooms I think the space saving is worth it. For example I currently have a 100-400GM which extends. It'd be far too big if they made it in a non-extendable design.

Yeah I can see the sense for long lenses around the 400-600mm mark but not for a 70-200.

XT3 - September 20, 2018
A7iii - March 14, 2018

What will Fuji have?

The better AF system, they've improved on the already great Face and eye detect from the T3 on the T30, and say this will transfer to the T3 via FW soon.

With Fuji, you know it's coming, always. They are about the most reliable in general in that sense. Even the XT2 is still getting big updates, it got so many over time it's like a new camera toward what it was when it first arrived. With FW updates it's gotten stuff like 1080/120fps, F-Log, enhanced phase detection AF, flicker reduction etc ... ok, mostly video upgrades but still, it's a 3 year old model.

Last edited:
The better AF system, they've improved on the already great Face and eye detect from the T3 on the T30, and say this will transfer to the T3 via FW soon.

With Fuji, you know it's coming, always. They are about the most reliable in general in that sense. Even the XT2 is still getting big updates, it got so many over time it's like a new camera toward what it was when it first arrived.

Their face/eye detect at the moment is on the level of A7RII/A6300. The 3rd gen sony's are far ahead in terms of eyeAF even without needing any fw updates. Not to mention Sony is having to deal with FF and fuji with a smaller APS-C.

With Fuji, you know it's coming, always. They are about the most reliable in general in that sense. Even the XT2 is still getting big updates, it got so many over time it's like a new camera toward what it was when it first arrived.
Equally Fuji have got into the habit of releasing stuff before it’s finished because of this. The XH-1 being a good example.

I loved my Fuji kit, but felt they were losing their edge, and Sony’s firmware upgrades coming were enough to get me to jump ship on the ‘kaizen’ front

Their face/eye detect at the moment is on the level of A7RII/A6300. The 3rd gen sony's are far ahead in terms of eyeAF even without needing any fw updates. Not to mention Sony is having to deal with FF and fuji with a smaller APS-C.

It'll be interesting to see who wins that one, the A6400 and the new Xt30 are aiming at the same market. Will Sony's half-hearted attempt at offering the vlog crowd a 'flip' screen help sway? Most just simply want decent eye/face AF, it doesn't necessarily have to be the best, not if alternatives have other better features.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see who wins that one, the A6400 and the new Xt30 are aiming at the same market. Will Sony's half-hearted attempt at offering the vlog crowd a 'flip' screen help sway?

I find the A6400 a bit lacklustre tbh. The same old design with no forefinger dial, crappy touchscreen etc. Also not to mention they seem have reused the old sensor.

I find XT30 a lot more attractive, I'd even consider it with the latest AF improvements. I only wish sigma made their 30mm and 56mm lenses for fuji :(

I find the A6400 a bit lacklustre tbh. The same old design with no forefinger dial, crappy touchscreen etc. Also not to mention they seem have reused the old sensor.

I find XT30 a lot more attractive, I'd even consider it with the latest AF improvements. I only wish sigma made their 30mm and 56mm lenses for fuji :(

The XT30 looks really nice in that charcoal grey I must say and is priced very nicely combined with the excellent 18-55 2.8 - 4 lens. The package being cheaper than the new Canon eos RP body only.

With Fuji, you know it's coming, always. They are about the most reliable in general in that sense. Even the XT2 is still getting big updates, it got so many over time it's like a new camera toward what it was when it first arrived. With FW updates it's gotten stuff like 1080/120fps, F-Log, enhanced phase detection AF, flicker reduction etc ... ok, mostly video upgrades but still, it's a 3 year old model.

TBH, this doesnt look as good as Sony a7iii current implementation. The Sony update takes it up another notch.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=50&v=YoKo4FK3hmg

Last edited:
TBH, this doesnt look as good as Sony a7iii current implementation. The Sony update takes it up another notch.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=50&v=YoKo4FK3hmg

Will be surprised if Fuji are still be around in 3-4 years and don’t go the way of the dodo.

Their refusal to jump into full frame leaves then seriously behind everyone else. They where a bit of a fad at one point with the retro styling etc. thankfully most people seemed to have passed that phase now.

Can’t see any reason why anyone want Fuji above what is available elsewhere anymore.

Not everyne needs nor wants FF, the up to date bodies are more expensive and then you have the lenses, generally bulkier and also pricier. Currently, going by UK prices, the XT3 is still £500 cheaper than an A7III.

The gap between FF and APSC in terms of output has also shortened in previous years. I don't see Fuji going anywhere but up tbh. They may be the smart ones here, knowing Sony have FF ML pretty much in the palm of their hands, why compete? just hit the other side of the market.

Last edited:
Will be surprised if Fuji are still be around in 3-4 years and don’t go the way of the dodo.

Their refusal to jump into full frame leaves then seriously behind everyone else. They where a bit of a fad at one point with the retro styling etc. thankfully most people seemed to have passed that phase now.

Can’t see any reason why anyone want Fuji above what is available elsewhere anymore.

they seem to have a very loyalist following a bit like pentax. you never know...

Not everyne needs nor wants FF, the up to date bodies are more expensive and then you have the lenses, generally bulkier and also pricier. Currently, going by UK prices, the XT3 is still £500 cheaper than an A7III.

The gap between FF and APSC in terms of output has also shortened in previous years. I don't see Fuji going anywhere but up tbh. They may be the smart ones here, knowing Sony have FF ML pretty much in the palm of their hands, why compete? just hit the other side of the market.

i think sony still sells more APS-C bodies than fuji do.

they seem to have a very loyalist following a bit like pentax. you never know...

Yeah they could survive the way Pentax do. As in basically they are a non entity.

I think a lot of people got sucked in by Fuji who where clever marketers though not so much any more.

Pretty much everyone I know jumped into Fuji at one point or another, there isn’t many of them that stuck with it though.

I know one of the Fuji X photographers everything you will find online from him is very much in favour of Fuji, never anything negative and yet in his own words when I spoke to him a short time ago, “when I shoot anything serious I use my Canon 5DMk IV”. :LOL:

Fuji has nice lenses and handling, X trans is causing issues imo.... And they should've made a FF instead of niche MF.

So no talk about the nikon z 24-70mm/2.8? lol

It has a digital display on the lens with a disp button which I found interesting.

Yeah they could survive the way Pentax do. As in basically they are a non entity.

I think a lot of people got sucked in by Fuji who where clever marketers though not so much any more.

Pretty much everyone I know jumped into Fuji at one point or another, there isn’t many of them that stuck with it though.

I know one of the Fuji X photographers everything you will find online from him is very much in favour of Fuji, never anything negative and yet in his own words when I spoke to him a short time ago, “when I shoot anything serious I use my Canon 5DMk IV”. :LOL:

Most people I know gave up on it because of the AF system or xtrans. I only know one person who still shoots with it but he also has a canon :D
The AF seems rather good with the current 3rd gen bodies though. Better than canikon.

Last edited:
Would anyone ever use it when they have an evf?

hmmm... I don't know. could be useful for shooting at night on a tripod if it can accurately show infinity and distance scale.
(its not something I would buy Nikon for, but its kinda nice lol)

hmmm... I don't know. could be useful for shooting at night on a tripod if it can accurately show infinity and distance scale.

Didnt batis do that years ago? On tripod you'd just crank the lens and shoot appropriate aperture?

Last edited:
I was in the local paper today, Surrey Advertiser

Just sat in my seat in the audience and shot with a 100-400 lens, occasionally walked to the back to shoot wide with 24-70.

This is obviously the best way for me to show you the Sony images, a photo of a newspaper print :D

52308118_10161707479315227_1837869587459211264_o.jpg

52044847_10161707479300227_1557477316169302016_o.jpg

I was in the local paper today, Surrey Advertiser

Just sat in my seat in the audience and shot with a 100-400 lens, occasionally walked to the back to shoot wide with 24-70.

This is obviously the best way for me to show you the Sony images, a photo of a newspaper print :D

52308118_10161707479315227_1837869587459211264_o.jpg

52044847_10161707479300227_1557477316169302016_o.jpg

Great stuff! :)

Back