The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Love these, especially the stars behind the clouds!

Thanks, the shoot was planned for the stars, the fast moving clouds were an unexpected bonus. Really happy with how they turned out.

Not if you are a professional photographer. Dual card slots are an absolute must and is very much one of the most important features of any camera for me. The cards aren’t the issue they simply wear out due to how much images we put through regardless of type of card type etc. On average we have 2 card failures a year. This includes all types of cards including SD, Compact Flash and XQD, we have had failures with them all at one point or another and I am not willing to put my clients images at risk by choosing a camera that doesn’t have dual card slots.

Anyway the A7III has numerous advantages over the options available from other mirrorless camera manufacturers.

What cards are you using?

Surely they'll release a 70-200 f2.8 after this one?
Let's hope it's small and has a 67mm filter thread :D
Something tells me it'll be a 75-150-ish f2.8 to keep the size down and filter thread to 67mm.

Interesting they haven't bothered with R or Z mounts.

Last edited:
Sandisk at the moment not that it makes any difference have had issues with all of the different brands.

Surprised by this still. I’ve not seen any failure rates published and don’t hear of that many in the field. Yet to experience it myself too. Do you return them for replacement?

Surprised by this still. I’ve not seen any failure rates published and don’t hear of that many in the field. Yet to experience it myself too. Do you return them for replacement?

Yep, I guess its down to the amount of use. Sandisk are the easiest to arrange a return with, but it normally takes about 2-3 weeks to receive the replacements once they have received the faulty card. They have also lost the faulty card twice (according to them) which has dragged out the process longer than needed.

Something tells me it'll be a 75-150-ish f2.8 to keep the size down and filter thread to 67mm.

Will be some time before we see any Tamron glass for these as they will have to reverse engineer the a.f algorithms. Sony owns a big part of Tamron still and e-mount a.f algorithms are open source R & Z mount aren't, so much easier for them to make e-mount glass.

Last edited:

I'd like to think they would do 70,75 or 80mm to 200mm f2.8. With only the g master version as an alternative and at a premium price I think it would sell very well.

I'd like to think they would do 70,75 or 80mm to 200mm f2.8. With only the g master version as an alternative and at a premium price I think it would sell very well.
Would certainly be nice. Not to mention will bring a lot more users to Sony.
I wonder if they'll go down canon's route and make it collapsing style zoom.

I would guess they'll follow on and start at 75mm to make the trio match up. I really hope it goes further than 150mm at the long end as someone suggested. I'm sure it must be being developed already, there's a lot of people waiting for a more affordable 2.8 70-200 +/-

I would guess they'll follow on and start at 75mm to make the trio match up. I really hope it goes further than 150mm at the long end as someone suggested. I'm sure it must be being developed already, there's a lot of people waiting for a more affordable 2.8 70-200 +/-
Just saying seem keen in keeping the size and weight down and maintaining that 67mm filter thread.

Just saying seem keen in keeping the size and weight down and maintaining that 67mm filter thread.

Yeah I see the logic, but am hoping it's a 75-210 personally

My mate just got an A9 and the manufacturing date on the box in 10/2017! So guess it’s been gathering dust at the bottom of a pile!

Was all brand new and fully sealed so guess no cause for concern?

My mate just got an A9 and the manufacturing date on the box in 10/2017! So guess it’s been gathering dust at the bottom of a pile!

Was all brand new and fully sealed so guess no cause for concern?

Worth checking the serial number because of this.

They have previously overlapped lenses. I used to have the old Tanrom 28-75 on my D610 and the had the 70-200 to go with it back then.

The more options the better, but this will have to be priced keenly to compete with Sony's own excellent macro.

The Sony is one of if not the best macro lens. I have seen it go used for £500-600 easily. A new one is just under £900 but under offer it can had cheaper.
It's hard to see how this Tokina will compete unless it's new prices is close to £500.
But more options and 3rd party manufacturers participating is always a good thing.

Sigma is yet to show their hand in all this...

Sigma is yet to show their hand in all this...

You think Sigma have another Macro in the pipeline other than the 70mm Art Macro? Or do you just mean in the FE lens world in general?

I got it! I miss my Samyang 35mm so it’s a good time to get another!

Back