The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

As it's quiet in here...

A7 and 35mm f2.8 at f5. Coffee and crisps at the top of the steps...

dSFGfgj.jpg

I had a milk shake but it was a rip off, it didn't have any ice cream in it and was just milk with some caramel flavour poured in :(

The resolution is nice and you can read the dedication on the bench and some writing on the crisp packet :D This has been zapped off via her pad thingy to her family overseas :D Lots of tourists about so she wanted me to be quick and with face detect the picture taking is quick.

Last edited:
The f1.2 Voigtlander 40mm?

If so I have one and like it but I've hardly used it since I got the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4.

yep the 1.2- was undecided between a 35mm or 50mm so I went for 40. I mainly used a 20mm on my Olympus so think the 40 will suit me more than the 35.

Last edited:
Loose question here, but if you could only have 2 lenses for your Sony, and you were on a tight budget, what would those lenses be? let's imagine you're restricted to £800 for the lenses

Loose question here, but if you could only have 2 lenses for your Sony, and you were on a tight budget, what would those lenses be? let's imagine you're restricted to £800 for the lenses

£800 totall?

First would be the Sony 85mm f/1.8 at £400-£450, so that would leave £350-£400 which I would spend on something wide, personally I have the Samyang 14mm (manual focus) which cost £230 so well within the £800 total.

And as discussed earlier in thread the Samyang can be had for £390 on eBay using the code TECH10.
or £399 on e-infinity, you can gert both the 85 and 35 for under 800,

Or go for the Tamron 28-75 at 639 new then maybe a samyang pancake lens second hand as a walk about

I'd keep the 28-70 kit lens and add the Samyang 35/2.8. With the Samyang, the A7 is almost a pocket camera.

I'd keep the 28-70 kit lens and add the Samyang 35/2.8. With the Samyang, the A7 is almost a pocket camera.

Pretty much this. I have the 28-70mm and Sony 35mm f2.8 so I hope they fit the budget. I'm not really a zoom person but a kit lens and a prime would cover most of what I want and I'd sneak an old 50mm macro in at sometime. The 35mm f2.8 and 85mm f1.8 is tempting though.

Of course if £800 is the budget and you can live with MF the wonderful world of film era lenses is open to you and there may well be a budget for 24, 28 and 35mm f2.8's, a 50mm f1.8 or even a f1.4 and an 85 or 135mm plus that macro.

Last edited:
Just on the A7 and 35mm f2.8 being almost pocketable...

WyXjGSo.jpg

and here is a Lowepro Apex 100. The camera and lens fit in nicely, just as my Panasonic MFT cameras and a prime do.

kSCnTEP.jpg

:D

£800 totall?

First would be the Sony 85mm f/1.8 at £400-£450, so that would leave £350-£400 which I would spend on something wide, personally I have the Samyang 14mm (manual focus) which cost £230 so well within the £800 total.

Just a rough estimate, otherwise it can quickly get into thousands. Of course more can always be added as you go, I'm just ever pondering. I do like the idea of an A7RII, I would only ever 'need' a couple of primes, 35/85 maybe

Samyang 24 2.8 £200 used
Samyang 35 2.8 £230 used
Sony 85 1.8 £415 new

Samyang are great, have owned some of their MF lenses and they were very nicely built, tack sharp too. Good to know they keep the prices down on their AF offerings too

Samyang is releasing 8 lenses in summer.
One of them seem to 85mm f1.4 for Sony and there is a small unknown lens which also seems to be for E-mount. Hoping it's a nice 35mm f2 lens.

Samyang is releasing 8 lenses in summer.
One of them seem to 85mm f1.4 for Sony and there is a small unknown lens which also seems to be for E-mount. Hoping it's a nice 35mm f2 lens.

I wish they would release AF lenses for other systems, like M43. Seems they only do them for Sony and Canon?

It is good to know if I was to give Sony a go that they are putting out AF lenses for really nice prices for the system though. It is lenses after all, that can cripple choices for us more budget oriented shooters. I watched a few A7RII vids last night and it really got me thinking. I'm not a MP whore, but crop-ability is never a bad thing in my book

Back