The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

also is there a cheap Nikon adaptor thats that would let me use my samyang 14mm, af isn't needed as its manual but wondered with focus peaking would still work or not.

or is it better to just buy the Sony version or similar ultra wide

Loads available from £2 on aliexpress to £20 on amazon/ebay etc . I have £2 Fotga adapters from china and they are perfectly fine for manual lenses, nice fit on mount and finished well. I still struggle to see how they can manufacture them, market and sell them, and post to the UK from China for £2 and still make a profit :D

Thanks Ant! Hadn't really thought of the MF version, I was looking at the AF one which would make life easier however not completely necessary!

I find at 14mm on full frame everything is pretty much in focus, just a small adjustment to get it perfect and with zoom to focus it's all very quick and straightforward.

Interested in reviews of this new lens.
Looks to be the sigma it's compared to in size here. The other photo highlights sonys design flaw for finger space.

Screenshot_20190315_172633.jpgScreenshot_20190315_172559.jpg

Loads available from £2 on aliexpress to £20 on amazon/ebay etc . I have £2 Fotga adapters from china and they are perfectly fine for manual lenses, nice fit on mount and finished well. I still struggle to see how they can manufacture them, market and sell them, and post to the UK from China for £2 and still make a profit :D

I’d be careful with them. I had a commlite Nikon to Sony adapter bought from on here and the aperture lever snapped off and nearly ended up on my sensor! I’m going to be complaining to commlite but be very careful with those adapters.

I’d be careful with them. I had a commlite Nikon to Sony adapter bought from on here and the aperture lever snapped off and nearly ended up on my sensor! I’m going to be complaining to commlite but be very careful with those adapters.

I don't actually have Nikon-Sony, I have M42 & Sony/Minolta-Emount. Sounds scary ^^^

You don't need an adapter with an aperture ring on if the MF lenses you own have their own, I stick to 'dumb' adapters, they are basically just a spacer with the change of mount - no different to mounting a native lens just no cpu contacts.

You don't need an adapter with an aperture ring on if the MF lenses you own have their own, I stick to 'dumb' adapters, they are basically just a spacer with the change of mount - no different to mounting a native lens just no cpu contacts.

Yeah they are fine. Only mentioned mine because I was using it with a Nikon 20mm 1.8 and obviously therefore needed one that would control aperture.

The dumb ones are great

Yeah they are fine. Only mentioned mine because I was using it with a Nikon 20mm 1.8 and obviously therefore needed one that would control aperture.

The dumb ones are great

I did have a K&F concepts adapter for Nikon to Fuji in the past. It had an aperture adjustment but was a bit iffy. Once you started to close the aperture down you never really knew where it was at.

And still very little available in terms of zoom lenses.

I guess primes are easier to make (or in case of sigma easier to port).

Samyang and zeiss aren't really ones that make zooms. The 3rd party's that make zooms are tamron, sigma and tokina. Tamron have made a couple but I guess with the amount of resources they have they are trying to stay in the game for both DSLRs and mirrorless. Sigma are simply porting lenses.

But Sony e-mount has a small mount diameter unlike other 3 FF mirrorless mounts. So if Sigma design lenses for e-mount and use the same design for other 3 mounts inc. their own L-mount, the supposed benefits of the wider mount diameter would be lost. I seriously doubt they’ll design two separate line for lenses for a small mount diameter and wider mount diameter. So will they not bother supporting e-mount because of its small diameter or will they simply give up on the supposed benefits of a wider mount?

But we know historically Sigma is only interested in supporting brands that sell most. So are they willing drop support for the leader in the market?
But if they design lenses for e-mount would that be like accepting the large mount doesn't really have as much benefits as they made it out be?

Last edited:
Morning, I'm after some advice regarding the Sony ff cameras and do apologise in advance if the questions have been covered elsewhere on the forum. I shoot mainly landscapes so am after something with very good image quality hence the reason to move up to full frame. Given I'm not after super quick autofocus is it worth spending the extra money on a a7riii over a a7riii, or does the former have more advantages that make it more worthwhile. Further, what system do people use for post processing as I've read something that suggests LR can be tricky. I'm sure there are more questions I should ask so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance, Dave

Morning, I'm after some advice regarding the Sony ff cameras and do apologise in advance if the questions have been covered elsewhere on the forum. I shoot mainly landscapes so am after something with very good image quality hence the reason to move up to full frame. Given I'm not after super quick autofocus is it worth spending the extra money on a a7riii over a a7riii, or does the former have more advantages that make it more worthwhile. Further, what system do people use for post processing as I've read something that suggests LR can be tricky. I'm sure there are more questions I should ask so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance, Dave

If probably buy a A7RII if I was doing landscapes and AF wasn’t that important. They can be had for about £1000 used.

As far as quality is concerned A7RII is unbeaten for the prices it can be had at now.

I had the A7RII previously and now own A7RIII, I also shoot plenty of landscapes :)

Advantages of A7RIII for landscapes:
- better EVF
- pixelshift feature
- time lapse being added in next FW update (you can buy the time lapse app for A7RII from playmemories but sony seems to be phasing this out)
- better ergonomics
- better battery life, does really help if you are into doing long exposures. That really chews through the tiny NP-FW50 batteries in A7RII.
- very slightly better IBIS

weather these are worth the extra money is up to you to decide :)
I bought the A7RIII for the egonomics upgrade and AF upgrade. If I shot just landscapes I'd have stuck with A7RII personally.

Interested in reviews of this new lens.
Looks to be the sigma it's compared to in size here. The other photo highlights sonys design flaw for finger space.

I honestly feel like ergonomics have gotten worst with each generation! lol
May be I am the only one....

That certainly doesn't look nice!

Have seen the Samyang 85mm 1.4 in the flesh, it’s pretty chunky. Can definitely see some people having issues with the space between the lens and grip.

With that combination I'd probably want to use a strap - which I rarely ever do, so I wouldn't have to hold it constantly

Last edited:
How’s lowlight focusing for everyone, I’m starting to second guess switching today after reading a few different posts today on one of the larger fb a7iii groups. [emoji853][emoji853]

Both posts they were saying that it doesn’t focus well in low light and is worse than the dslr’s they use or used. Even people saying they kept a dslr for low light work because it couldn’t match and not even that high end dslr’s some off them.

Have yous found this, I like to shoot quite a lot of low light stuff and this would be an issue for me if true.

how is the AF and sharpness?

Wasn’t blown away to be honest. At 1.4 forcusing was ok but stopping down to 2.8/3.2 didn’t seem as good. Was pretty crap lighting around their stand but it seemed to hesitate on focusing more than my FE 85 1.8 was. Sharpness didn’t seem as good either to me but will need to have another look. Grip wise I don’t think it will be a problem for most.

Wouldn’t be swapping an FE 85mm 1.8 for it though.

With that combination I'd probably want to use a strap - which I rarely ever do, so I wouldn't have to hold it constantly

It’s not too heavy, felt quite light actually.

Attachments

• A6D5AE27-9BD9-440A-9D44-9D9E25D42D5A.jpeg
    A6D5AE27-9BD9-440A-9D44-9D9E25D42D5A.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 3E155145-283E-4414-BBE0-6B4C3DDAB60E.jpeg
    3E155145-283E-4414-BBE0-6B4C3DDAB60E.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 34
How’s lowlight focusing for everyone, I’m starting to second guess switching today after reading a few different posts today on one of the larger fb a7iii groups. [emoji853][emoji853]

Both posts they were saying that it doesn’t focus well in low light and is worse than the dslr’s they use or used. Even people saying they kept a dslr for low light work because it couldn’t match and not even that high end dslr’s some off them.

Have yous found this, I like to shoot quite a lot of low light stuff and this would be an issue for me if true.

I've just moved from a D610, and I think the AF is better on the A7III using the central spot. Not at all keen on the 'automatic' continuous autofocus as it seems to leap around at random, usually not finding what I want - that may be the Samyang lens I'm using right now. Eye AF works like it says on the tin. :D

I've just moved from a D610, and I think the AF is better on the A7III using the central spot. Not at all keen on the 'automatic' continuous autofocus as it seems to leap around at random, usually not finding what I want - that may be the Samyang lens I'm using right now. Eye AF works like it says on the tin. :D

I usually use expanded flexible spot when using continuous AF and move it around with joystick it generally sticks to what you half press on, or small flexible spot if I wanna be more accurate.

I usually use expanded flexible spot when using continuous AF and move it around with joystick it generally sticks to what you half press on, or small flexible spot if I wanna be more accurate.

Thanks - still getting used to the camera. I've set up central spot in one of the user modes, and that works well as noted above.

Thanks - still getting used to the camera. I've set up central spot in one of the user modes, and that works well as noted above.

It's very fast to switch focus mode and focus type using the 'fn' button, second nature after a while.

Wasn’t blown away to be honest. At 1.4 forcusing was ok but stopping down to 2.8/3.2 didn’t seem as good. Was pretty crap lighting around their stand but it seemed to hesitate on focusing more than my FE 85 1.8 was. Sharpness didn’t seem as good either to me but will need to have another look. Grip wise I don’t think it will be a problem for most.

Wouldn’t be swapping an FE 85mm 1.8 for it though.

It’s not too heavy, felt quite light actually.

I meant more for comfort, the squeezy finger trap, with a strap you only have to hold it when actually shooting. Normally I carry my cameras free hand, though I do have wrist and shoulder straps, just prefer not to have to use them.

Got to give expanded flexible spot a bit more of a go as initially found it drifted at times so generally use spot. In all the pages here, haven’t seen much chat about what settings people are using for various situations.

Haven’t found too many issues myself, it’s as good as the d750 was. Probably better off using the contrast points, so medium or small spot has been my go-to for indoors. The eye af does seem better in better light imo.

Got to give expanded flexible spot a bit more of a go as initially found it drifted at times so generally use spot. In all the pages here, haven’t seen much chat about what settings people are using for various situations.

I'm usually shooting something moving, kids, dogs etc I was under the impression that expanded flexible spreads the focus points used a bit further around the middle of where you place it so a better chance of achieving focus. (I could of course be dreaming) but it seems to work well enough for me. I use the small flexible for the dogs when posing to hit the eye, but hopefully won't need to do that once the animal Eye AF comes in the firmware update.

I have a dilemma right now - Keep the Sammy 50 1.4 and the LA-EA4 & acquire an A mount walkabout zoom at a relative bargain price, or send the lot back (14 days approval from online purchasing) and buy a FE 24-105. I can't afford to do both. I like the Sammy, but I don't use a 50 *that much* normally, and while it's a nice lens, it is also quite quirky and the AF isn't perfect, while a key reason to buy the A7III was for better AF. The LA-EA4 was bought to adapt a Sony 50 1.4 and Beercan, but I don't really need a 70-210 and the comments about a 50 apply the same to that lens, however the AF in that unit is better than the D610 AF.

More lenses can come later, but these are my choices for now. Is the 24-105 f4 all the lens you need, or are there real-world weaknesses (apart from fixed f4 aperture)?

I have a dilemma right now - Keep the Sammy 50 1.4 and the LA-EA4 & acquire an A mount walkabout zoom at a relative bargain price, or send the lot back (14 days approval from online purchasing) and buy a FE 24-105. I can't afford to do both. I like the Sammy, but I don't use a 50 *that much* normally, and while it's a nice lens, it is also quite quirky and the AF isn't perfect, while a key reason to buy the A7III was for better AF. The LA-EA4 was bought to adapt a Sony 50 1.4 and Beercan, but I don't really need a 70-210 and the comments about a 50 apply the same to that lens, however the AF in that unit is better than the D610 AF.

More lenses can come later, but these are my choices for now. Is the 24-105 f4 all the lens you need, or are there real-world weaknesses (apart from fixed f4 aperture)?

It sounds like you'd be better off with 1 good do it all, get the 24-105

It sounds like you'd be better off with 1 good do it all, get the 24-105

That's how I ran the Nikon system, despite having quite a few lenses. In the end a decent 28-105 lived on the camera, occasionally replaced with an ultra-wide or fast prime when needed. My one qualm is that the 24-105 is outrageously expensive for what it is, and I don't want to blow my budget on that lens if it's not seriously good.

What about a Samyang 24 2.8 or 35 2.8 and the Sony 85 1.8? that's what I would rock over any so-so zoom

Last edited:
I'm usually shooting something moving, kids, dogs etc I was under the impression that expanded flexible spreads the focus points used a bit further around the middle of where you place it so a better chance of achieving focus. (I could of course be dreaming) but it seems to work well enough for me. I use the small flexible for the dogs when posing to hit the eye, but hopefully won't need to do that once the animal Eye AF comes in the firmware update.

Me too, usually my little one. But haven’t been able to get out much of late so all indoors. I’ll have a play.

What compact and lightweight tripods you guys using with your Sony pls

MC-11 question.

How noisy is your mc-11? When turning on and off the camera mine makes a noise, which is probably normal.

But intermittently today it seems to be making a noise when taking images as well, not when focusing but actually taking the shot. Very intermittent though.

That's how I ran the Nikon system, despite having quite a few lenses. In the end a decent 28-105 lived on the camera, occasionally replaced with an ultra-wide or fast prime when needed. My one qualm is that the 24-105 is outrageously expensive for what it is, and I don't want to blow my budget on that lens if it's not seriously good.

What about a Samyang 24 2.8 or 35 2.8 and the Sony 85 1.8? that's what I would rock over any so-so zoom

it's not a so-so zoom. Its probably the best in its class at the moment - https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/02/mtf-tests-of-the-sony-fe-24-105mm-f4-oss/

definitely better than the samyang 24mm f2,8 which I used to own.

I was not sure if it was any good till I bought it myself. I very reluctantly traded my tamron 28-75mm f2.8 for it but I must say I have been pleasantly surprised by how good it is.
And I have got the best stabilization out of Sony A7RIII with this lens out of all the other lenses I've owned (and I've owned quite a lot them!). I can get close to 5-stops stabilization, normally get about 3 stops on other lenses.

Last edited:
it's not a so-so zoom. Its probably the best in its class at the moment - https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/02/mtf-tests-of-the-sony-fe-24-105mm-f4-oss/

definitely better than the samyang 24mm f2,8 which I used to own.

I was not sure if it was any good till I bought it myself. I very reluctantly traded my tamron 28-75mm f2.8 for it but I must say I have been pleasantly surprised by how good it is.
And I have got the best stabilization out of Sony A7RIII with this lens out of all the other lenses I've owned (and I've owned quite a lot them!). I can get close to 5-stops stabilization, normally get about 3 stops on other lenses.

I stand corrected, most of these do-all type zooms are muck, obviously I've never used this one. But doesn't matter, I'd still opt for a couple brighter primes over an F4 zoom anyway. Replace the Sam 24 with any decent wide-ish prime. Is the 24-105 going to out perform them? Highly doubt it. By 'so-so' I mean, yeah it's probably 'good', but never excellent. Unless it is, then I would be wrong, but otherwise it's a coin flip it seems

Last edited:
I stand corrected, most of these do-all type zooms are muck, obviously I've never used this one. But doesn't matter, I'd still opt for a couple brighter primes over an F4 zoom anyway. Replace the Sam 24 with any decent wide-ish prime. Is the 24-105 going to out perform them? Highly doubt it. By 'so-so' I mean, yeah it's probably 'good', but never excellent. Unless it is, then I would be wrong, but otherwise it's a coin flip it seems

I think I'd classify the 24-240mm as the so-so do it all zoom. Most 24-105mm types are a bit rubbish past 70mm but as the above lensrentals article showed Sony is unique in that it maintains sharp even at 105mm.

I have a 24mm F1.4 GM. Yes it's outstanding and the 24-105 can't match it. But the 24GM really sucks at 105mm ;)

Back