The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

how are the 28 f2 and 50 1.8?

sold half my Nikon kit so have enough for the body and one lens just now, was going to go for the 85 but I'm away on holiday in 2ish weeks and want to take this so not sure if that would be to limiting.
I thought I could grab a used 28 or 50 and re sell it a month later as this might be a better bet..

my planned set up is 55/85 and 28-75 but need to order what im taking this week and the rest when I return/manage to sell the rest of my kit.

how are the 28 f2 and 50 1.8?

sold half my Nikon kit so have enough for the body and one lens just now, was going to go for the 85 but I'm away on holiday in 2ish weeks and want to take this so not sure if that would be to limiting.
I thought I could grab a used 28 or 50 and re sell it a month later as this might be a better bet..

my planned set up is 55/85 and 28-75 but need to order what im taking this week and the rest when I return/manage to sell the rest of my kit.

If I was only to take one lens I'd probably go with a 50mm, also the cheapest to start with

Anyone interested in my Samyang 50 1.4 FE? LCE have agreed to take it back & I plan to use the money for a 24-105 instead, but I'm happy to sell it on to another user here for what I paid (£225) instead of returning it. If so, tell me & I'll bung it in the classified, ditto the LA-EA4 adapter.

Hmmmm maybe.
Interested in 50mm. Would like to see photos of lens please.

Last edited:
Hmmmm maybe.
Interested in 50mm. Would like to see photos of lens please.

I don't have it here - it's at work ready to be sent off tomorrow. LCE gave it 4 stars in their rating system. There's minor wear (very minor) to the mount and there's a tiny bright patch where the lens flares out from the mount at the point where it touches when mounted on a camera. It's boxed with instructions & pouch.

Optically it's great. The AF hunts a bit in continuous AF mode, but it managed 7 out of 8 shots sharp when testing eye AF, and it locks OK in centre AF mode.

I don't have it here - it's at work ready to be sent off tomorrow. LCE gave it 4 stars in their rating system. There's minor wear (very minor) to the mount and there's a tiny bright patch where the lens flares out from the mount at the point where it touches when mounted on a camera. It's boxed with instructions & pouch.

Optically it's great. The AF hunts a bit in continuous AF mode, but it managed 7 out of 8 shots sharp when testing eye AF, and it locks OK in centre AF mode.

Go on then.

Looking to order my a7iii and 85 today. Is Panamoz still the best of the grey stores? They have semi priced matched e finity so the price is £100ish different. Is it worth paying that just for there 3year warranty.

The lack of used Sony kits is also abit of a pain [emoji22] looks like I will have to buy all new, think I’m also better buying the tamron 28-75 in the uk as it’s only £20 more and comes with a 5 year warranty. Plus neither of the above have stock just now.

I bought mine from Panamoz last month- I’d say the extra is worth it. Also bought my Tamron 28-75 in UK (Bristol Cameras) as it was in stock and cheaper than anywhere else (Also came with a Sigma UV filter free)

Looking to order my a7iii and 85 today. Is Panamoz still the best of the grey stores? They have semi priced matched e finity so the price is £100ish different. Is it worth paying that just for there 3year warranty.

The lack of used Sony kits is also abit of a pain [emoji22] looks like I will have to buy all new, think I’m also better buying the tamron 28-75 in the uk as it’s only £20 more and comes with a 5 year warranty. Plus neither of the above have stock just now.
I'm still thinking about selling my 24-70 f4 if that's a lens that interests you.

My thinking was that any update for an older (but still in production) model is relatively good news.

My thinking was that any update for an older (but still in production) model is relatively good news.

Yes, I agree, just would like something a little less vague on what it actually changes (though as my job includes writing embedded software/firmware I do understand that some changes are best described by 'fixes things' :LOL:)

LCE had the Tamron 28-75 for £649, at the photo show there me some scope in getting them to honor or come close to the show price for you.

If I ever went Sony that is one lens I would want to own. As for editing, I know it' a bit cliche perhaps, but I'd give a nice contrasty B&W a try on this one. He's got some good character in his face

Yeah same here, it’s the one lens I’d love on my A7III!

Does anyone know when the firmware update is out for the A73 and A7R3? I saw the A9 update should be out on 25th March. I know they originally said April, just wasn’t sure if that was early or late April.

Can I ask other than Lightroom or photoshop what editing software does everyone use? The reason I’m asking is that I’m seriously thinking of getting off the Adobe subscription bandwagon. I moved to subscription about 14-15 months ago, justified on dropping my zenfolio website in favour of using the bundled Adobe Portfolio website (made the yearly subscription more cost effective). To cut a long story short I’ve been waiting on a reply regarding customisable Spark page addresses. They have confirmed today they aren’t going to progress it further therefore with the poor SEO Portfolio probably isn’t really fit for purpose. That makes the subscription less justifiable if I move the website somewhere else.

I sometimes use On1 PhotoRaw, but after 5 years I find it easier to get the results I want by converting to .dng and then LR5.7.

Been thinking getting a 35mm lens today but which I don’t know now I’ve decided stick with Sony

...15% off again on eBay (max £50 discount)...
Darn- missed that (and just ordered some Swiss Arca QR plates and other stuff yesterday:mad:)
For future reference, may I ask how you got to know about this deal? (I am a regular user of eBay and I was not notified...:confused:)

Portability so a general lens. Landscape city scape portrait if it works

£ Samyang 35mm f/2.8 AF
££ Zeiss Sonnar 35mm f/2.8
££ Samyang 35mm f/1.4 AF
£££ Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4
££££ Distagon 35mm f/1.4

Portability so a general lens. Landscape city scape portrait if it works

The f1.4 versions will be the best in terms of portraits but not great for portability. I think the samyang is the lightest (and cheapest) of all the 35mm f1.4

The f1.4 versions will be the best in terms of portraits but not great for portability. I think the samyang is the lightest (and cheapest) of all the 35mm f1.4

What he said. The Sammy 2.8 is tiny (and around £250 on Amazon). OTOH I saw the Sammy f1.4 compared with a Sigma ART 35 f1.4 in a video review yesterday, and it was very close - Just before my A7 arrived I saw one available through Amazon warehouse for £257 instead of the usual £500+ and I'm cross with myself for not grabbing it.

What he said. The Sammy 2.8 is tiny (and around £250 on Amazon). OTOH I saw the Sammy f1.4 compared with a Sigma ART 35 f1.4 in a video review yesterday, and it was very close - Just before my A7 arrived I saw one available through Amazon warehouse for £257 instead of the usual £500+ and I'm cross with myself for not grabbing it.
Wow. Great price, no wonder you are cross.

Samyang did a great job with that lens. I shot a wedding in November and it stayed on the camera 90% of the time.

Back