The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Did a bit more investigation on the A6400 today. My main issues are I want to keep it light and easy for family hols etc.

As a body apart from no joystick the A6400 seems dead on. The problems is lenses, the kit lens is apparently atrocious. The 18-135 kit lens looks a better option but it’s a bigger lens. Trying to work out if I could make do with that my 55mm f/1.8 and the crappy wee Samyang 24mm to keep everything as light as possible. I wouldn’t want to be using this with any of my work lenses as it’s likey to get bashed about a bit.

On the flip side I have also been looking at some mft stuff but the difference in the a.f with those would probably do my head in.

All of the above. I’ve ordered a sammy 24, which turned up earlier, in readiness. First impressions are that it’s built like a toy and isn’t that good but.... as a walkabout, on a a6*00. could be ok. I too have a 55, so as a ‘take everywhere’ option, why not.

What settings do people use for event flash photography?

i tried manual, wide AF at around 1/200 and f2.8/f4 range and the camera couldnt focus. it struggled massively to the point that i had to enable the AF light indicator on the camera (A7r3)

I was using the godox V860II-S speedlight and the AF red beam never came on. the flash was also set to manual

What settings do people use for event flash photography?

i tried manual, wide AF at around 1/200 and f2.8/f4 range and the camera couldnt focus. it struggled massively to the point that i had to enable the AF light indicator on the camera (A7r3)

I was using the godox V860II-S speedlight and the AF red beam never came on. the flash was also set to manual

A.F assist beam doesn’t work for Sony with the v860II from memory unless they have updated the firmware. You need the V350s for that.

I’ve found if leaving eye af on animal it works on Humans too

Might as well just leave humans out and put it all in one
I imagine the animal eyeAF is more processor heavy as implied by Sony. So it'll be less effective or inefficient to leave it in that mode for humans. I imagine with future generations they'll merge into one when processors are more powerful but for the time being its probably better to use the appropriate setting :)

Might as well just leave humans out and put it all in one

It's a bit of a gimmick to separate them, I reckon it's been possible for a long time but the speed and precision wasn't up to scratch. Face detect probably only works for humans though?

It's a bit of a gimmick to separate them, I reckon it's been possible for a long time but the speed and precision wasn't up to scratch. Face detect probably only works for humans though?
For animal faces it's need to do a lot deeper look up and search. For humans it's pretty straightforward at this point. So makes sense to give the option to separate them.
Also with animals eyeAF selected it seems some of AF modes mainly the expanded flixible spot lockon AF is disabled.

How long before we see Insect eye-AF for macro?! Now that would impress me

I think we're probably just seeing the beginnings of this. I think it's likely that mirrorless is going to bring us things that are going to blow our socks off over the coming years.

Of course there's a down side to this... there'll be people on forums saying that the menus are too complex and they can't cope and would really like a very simple camera. The fact that you can ignore all the clever stuff and just use the kit like their granddad used his SLR is 1952 will be, sadly, lost on them.

I think we're probably just seeing the beginnings of this. I think it's likely that mirrorless is going to bring us things that are going to blow our socks off over the coming years.

Of course there's a down side to this... there'll be people on forums saying that the menus are too complex and they can't cope and would really like a very simple camera. The fact that you can ignore all the clever stuff and just use the kit like their granddad used his SLR is 1952 will be, sadly, lost on them.

That's not a down side, it's people's personal preference, the tech will still be there for those who desire it. I like the progression, but don't need half of it, I don't need animal eye AF for example but it's cool that it's possible. If it can work for birds and smaller skittish animals that would indeed interest me.

Did the update tonight because it complained about the battery not being full (depsite bing plugged in). The process is extremely simple, if not tremendously quick. Eventually I'll dig around in the menus to find the new stuff.

Talking of menus - I've saved a couple of variations in U1 & U2, but the camera has defaulted to program mode. Is there a menu setting that lets me choose aperture or shutter priority as default instead (I set the patches up in aperture priority, expecting that to transfer across too).

can't get the update to work :( I'm using mac 10.14.4, have tried downloading the sony driver but that does not seem to work, then the updater says "the update is not available for your model..." any ideas?

can't get the update to work :( I'm using mac 10.14.4, have tried downloading the sony driver but that does not seem to work, then the updater says "the update is not available for your model..." any ideas?

Have you opened the resources folder in the dng and allowed security?

did that for the driverloaded and see confirmation process completed...updated still not working...

Using USBC?

yes, thanks for your help. really scratching my head now! current firmware on it is 1, I'm looking for update to 2 in case that might help, can't find that either.

That's annoying. I used usb c, latest drivers, resources, ran file, followed instructions and it took about 10 mins.

I'll write to sony now and try again in the morning, thanks again

I did mine last night from 2 to 3 using Mac 10.12 . Have you removed your memory cards as I noticed that was needed (not exactly sure how much it matters).

The process is extremely simple, if not tremendously quick.
It was the first time I’ve updated a Sony camera. I wouldn’t say it was a simple task, Nikon’s method of downloading to the memory card, putting it in the camera and starting the update from the menu seemed to be easier and quicker.

Last edited:

Make sure you're not mixing up the A7R3 and A73 downloads.

ah it's working now! looks like it might be a region thing. I'm in Switzerland and once I logged in to the Sony website it took me to what looks like the europe pages in german. I've downloaded the firmware update from there and bingo it's running.

ah it's working now! looks like it might be a region thing. I'm in Switzerland and once I logged in to the Sony website it took me to what looks like the europe pages in german. I've downloaded the firmware update from there and bingo it's running.

I had that 3 times - it then gave me a message about battery charge being low & tonight went in first go.

I think we can all agree it's a good thing that Sony have started down the Fujifilm route with firmware updates that actually improve and add new features to the cameras, but I think we can also agree the method for updates is old fashioned and pretty s***e :ROFLMAO:

I mean, I don’t see an issue with the way updates are done. Download a link, open it, plug camera in, click next a few times and wait 10 minutes. Worked a treat for me.

Me either did 4 bodies took about 15-20 minutes.

I actually like the way Sony do there updates much better than updating via a an sd card where there is a bigger chance of the data being corrupted.

Last edited:
It's 2019 any wifi capable device should be able to do a simple OTA update.

Competitor rumors… I'm not going to post this in any of the Canon threads as there'll be a melt down but I'll post it here as we're far less reactionary and fanboyish :D

Could Canon be hedging their bets and moving slightly away from the Photography business...

https://fstoppers.com/business/do-c...ter-closure-signal-retreat-photography-354140

I doubt it but on the other hand none of the big traditional camera companies seem to be making money out of the camera business so really it'd be foolish to carry on throwing money at it as only the Japanese do. Maybe it's best to take a sideways step into medical devices.

Back