The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Anyway... With the recent firmware updates what are the various strengths of the A7III and A9 and is the A7III still the better choice / balance of performance / price / quality?

My cheapo plastic screen protector was starting to peel off on the LHS so I ordered a more expensive glass one and when I peeled the old cheap one off the Sony one was peeling at the same side so I heated it and peeled it off. It left a lot of sticky residue but most cleaned off and I applied the new one and if anything it's now looking clearer than ever.

Do you guys with new glass screen protectors place a plastic one over them or just have the one glass one?

I find the battery life quite good to be honest especially for a mirrorless camera it’s probably best in class.

I have never had any issues always had more than enough juice to get me to after the speeches and I just swap them out at dinner although there would probably be enough juice still left to let me finish the day. Try using the lcd a bit more, the evf eats a lot more power. I shoot a lot using just the lcd now, makes such a big difference and helps get shots that just wouldn’t be possible with the crappy live view on dslrs. Also allows you to be able direct the couple and groups easier without the camera glued to your face.

Funnily enough, I tried that today. They did last longer. I’ll just have to get used to swapping them out. I noticed the camera used less today (85 mounted) used a lot more battery than the “main” 35mm mounted camera.

For the benefits these Sony’s over its easy to overlook the battery life and wake up issues. Everything is so easy with them and the focus is just crazy good. Getting much more keepers and consequently a few more the edit/deliver than I ever did with DSLR.

Very happy I swapped.

Do you guys with new glass screen protectors place a plastic one over them or just have the one glass one?

Just the glass, I cracked one the other week so it's earned its £6.99 for 3 already

Just the glass, I cracked one the other week so it's earned its £6.99 for 3 already

I chipped one in Norway last month...

Anyway, updates both A73 tonight, one question, it says it has real time eye AF? I can only see squares appearing on heads pre focus but not the eye? Do I need to turn on something in the settings?

On the battery life, I’ve put the evf/lcd on a function switch to toggle between the 2 I.e the evf only comes on when up to my eye the rest of the time both are off, so I’ve increased my sleep time, should that save power?

I'd recommend Godox.

I use their TT685s and Xpro-s to trigger them wirelessly. Can control multiple flashes wirelessly with just one trigger

e.g.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Godox-TT685S-Speedlite-Supports-20-200mm-x/dp/B01DTXB66G

and
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Godox-Wire...gger+sony&qid=1555273566&s=electronics&sr=1-3

I like the Godox V350s flashes with the Sony’s the other flashes available make them too top heavy and cumbersome if you are using them on camera. The V350s are tiny, but powerful enough, there is also a cheaper version that using normal aa batteries the V350s uses a lithium pack which is far more handy. I also have the x-pro trigger which works well but for off camera I mainly use Godox AD200’s and AD600’s. The V350s are the only Godox flash for these that has focus beam assist or that used to be the case anyway.

Thanks, I had seen the Godox but wasn't sure if they were any good, I remember a while ago people were saying Yongnuo were Ok but that was probably wasn't for Sony.

I don't generally like use flash on camera so the 685s may be more suited for me.

Thanks, I had seen the Godox but wasn't sure if they were any good, I remember a while ago people were saying Yongnuo were Ok but that was probably wasn't for Sony.

I don't generally like use flash on camera so the 685s may be more suited for me.

Maybe you would be better of with the V860II then having used flashes for sometime now with lithium batteries I would very reluctant to have to go old school with a flash that uses aa batteries. The V350s works fine off camera too.

Last edited:
Maybe you would be better of with the V860II then having used flashes for sometime now with lithium batteries I would very reluctant to have to go old school with a flash that uses aa batteries. The V350s works fine off camera too.

Is the recycle time better on the lithium ones Tommy ?

Did a bit more investigation on the A6400 today. My main issues are I want to keep it light and easy for family hols etc.

As a body apart from no joystick the A6400 seems dead on. The problems is lenses, the kit lens is apparently atrocious. The 18-135 kit lens looks a better option but it’s a bigger lens. Trying to work out if I could make do with that my 55mm f/1.8 and the crappy wee Samyang 24mm to keep everything as light as possible. I wouldn’t want to be using this with any of my work lenses as it’s likey to get bashed about a bit.

On the flip side I have also been looking at some mft stuff but the difference in the a.f with those would probably do my head in.

I've just got back from 2 weeks in Florida where I took my A6500 with Sigma 16/30mm 1.4's and they didn't miss a beat. AF is spot on and output wide open from both lenses is excellent. The 16mm is larger than the 30mm but neither lens is particularly large so I was carrying the body, both lenses, 4 batteries (only ever used 1.5 total each day), spare memory cards and a Manfrotto Pixi tripod in a small shoulder bag (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/497099-REG/national_geographic_ng2343_small_shoulder_bag.html). I haven't used an A6400 but the AF was perfectly fine on my 6500 so it must be pretty good if it's better!

Is the recycle time better on the lithium ones Tommy ?

I haven’t tried the wee aa version think it’s called a tt350s but in the spec for the v350s from memory it said quicker recycling time because of the lithium battery. It recycles quick enough for what I need. Really like these. Didn’t notice any difference in recycle time between these and the V860II although it’s probably better as has a bigger battery.

I've just got back from 2 weeks in Florida where I took my A6500 with Sigma 16/30mm 1.4's and they didn't miss a beat. AF is spot on and output wide open from both lenses is excellent. The 16mm is larger than the 30mm but neither lens is particularly large so I was carrying the body, both lenses, 4 batteries (only ever used 1.5 total each day), spare memory cards and a Manfrotto Pixi tripod in a small shoulder bag (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/497099-REG/national_geographic_ng2343_small_shoulder_bag.html). I haven't used an A6400 but the AF was perfectly fine on my 6500 so it must be pretty good if it's better!

Nice one mate have pretty much decided on the A6400 just struggling with what lenses to get for it. The 18-135 seems the best option for me along with a couple of primes. I want to keep it a fairly light weight set up. Was also considering the Zeiss 16-70 but that cuts down on reach and all the reviews seem to say it’s pretty pants.

Had a look at the Sigma 16mm but it looks a bit unwieldy seen some nice images from it though.

Nice one mate have pretty much decided on the A6400 just struggling with what lenses to get for it. The 18-135 seems the best option for me along with a couple of primes. I want to keep it a fairly light weight set up. Was also considering the Zeiss 16-70 but that cuts down on reach and all the reviews seem to say it’s pretty pants.

Had a look at the Sigma 16mm but it looks a bit unwieldy seen some nice images from it though.

The 16mm is definitely larger/heavier than the 13 but not enough to put me off using it because of the results from it. I used to have a 16-50 on the A6000 and whilst it's not an especially exciting variable aperture lens, it is tiny and pretty much silent focusing. As a general walkabout/holiday lens it's fine but I prefer primes. The 18-135 looks like similarly average specs with variable aperture so you'd just gain more reach really.

The 16mm is definitely larger/heavier than the 13 but not enough to put me off using it because of the results from it. I used to have a 16-50 on the A6000 and whilst it's not an especially exciting variable aperture lens, it is tiny and pretty much silent focusing. As a general walkabout/holiday lens it's fine but I prefer primes. The 18-135 looks like similarly average specs with variable aperture so you'd just gain more reach really.

I am only considering for the extra reach appreciate it isn’t going to be great but would rather not have just a 55mm as my longest lens for this set up. Also had a look at just using the kit lens and a cheap 55-210 as another option but that means taking another lens which I would rather not do.

It’s funny really when I need something for work I just look at what is best and go and get it but have been puzzling over this for a while. :LOL:

You could think about an A6xxx and just the one lens, maybe a quality prime, and a 1" compact with a zoom lens for the wider or longer shots. For whole pictures viewed anything like normally the image quality from 1" sensors is pretty good. My holiday kit is the A7+35mm f2.8 and Panasonic TZ100 with 24-250mm.

I am only considering for the extra reach appreciate it isn’t going to be great but would rather not have just a 55mm as my longest lens for this set up. Also had a look at just using the kit lens and a cheap 55-210 as another option but that means taking another lens which I would rather not do.

It’s funny really when I need something for work I just look at what is best and go and get it but have been puzzling over this for a while. :LOL:

The 55-210 isn’t a bad lens for a cheap telephoto. I borrowed one off a friend and took it too and it did a good job (in good light).

These are a couple of shots with the 16/30mm lenses that I edited quickly in snapseed when I was away;

16mm - 20-30 second exposures using the Pixi tripod

IMG_0966.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG

30mm - handheld using multishot auto iso @F11 (hence the points of light which caused flare!)

IMG_0001.JPG

Last edited:
You could think about an A6xxx and just the one lens, maybe a quality prime, and a 1" compact with a zoom lens for the wider or longer shots. For whole pictures viewed anything like normally the image quality from 1" sensors is pretty good. My holiday kit is the A7+35mm f2.8 and Panasonic TZ100 with 24-250mm.

I had a look at some of the 1" sensor cameras as well and nearly bought an RX100 VI until I actually tried one, was way too fiddly.

The 35 f2.8 arrived today.

I can see why it's seen by some as being like a toy, but it feels very nicely engineered without slop or bendy bits. Manual focusing is well weighted, and better than the kit zoom. AF is not instant like some of the Sony lenses, but is not slow and is near silent - it does the same thing of overshooting before hitting focus as the 85 in that video review a page back.

If image quality is ok then it will be perfect for street stuff, and makes the camera really nice and small for carrying around unobtrusively.

Mine came as an open box return from Amazon Italy via the warehouse - £193 with the warehouse discount - and included was a tiny padded case, but no hood.

It should come with a strange little hood thing onto which the lens cap fits. If you haven't got one or don't know what I'm tslking about maybe Google a review and you should see it.

I can see why it's seen by some as being like a toy, but it feels very nicely engineered without slop or bendy bits. Manual focusing is well weighted, and better than the kit zoom. AF is not instant like some of the Sony lenses, but is not slow and is near silent - it does the same thing of overshooting before hitting focus as the 85 in that video review a page back.

If image quality is ok then it will be perfect for street stuff, and makes the camera really nice and small for carrying around unobtrusively.

Mine came as an open box return from Amazon Italy via the warehouse - £193 with the warehouse discount - and included was a tiny padded case, but no hood.

It’s not really a hood as such, if you have the tiny small lens cap you probably have the hood!

Is it the Samyang? I bought the 24 recently from amazon as an open box for £181. More really for whenever I buy a a6400 sometime soon. It’s okay for the money, snappy af, vignettes a lot and is reasonably sharp in the centre wide open.

It should come with a strange little hood thing onto which the lens cap fits. If you haven't got one or don't know what I'm tslking about maybe Google a review and you should see it.

It’s not really a hood as such, if you have the tiny small lens cap you probably have the hood!

I think I see it now - just need to figure out how to use it!

Is it the Samyang? I bought the 24 recently from amazon as an open box for £181. More really for whenever I buy a a6400 sometime soon. It’s okay for the money, snappy af, vignettes a lot and is reasonably sharp in the centre wide open.

Yes. Mixed feelings, in that the OOF due to poor lens performance looks really ugly to me. Peak centre performance seems to be around f5.6, while peak edges is around f11. I have a few days before having to make the decision so will give it a go for a bit, but it's definitely not at the same performance level as the 50 f1.4 I had, more's the pity. Probably still good enough though, and a little ahead of my Nikkor 28 f3.5 in sharpness.

Can anyone recommend some decent flashguns and Triggers for the Sony A7RIII?

I use SB-5000/700 with my Nikon gear but rarely use flash so don't want to spend crazy money on these... however... I do want decent ones just in case :)

Another shout for Godox, a TT350 on the camera at low output as a trigger and a bit of fill, which feels nicely weighted on camera, with a TTL V860ii off camera with a soft box.
Nice and flexible set up as you can bounce the V860 on camera when you need to move around quicker, or just use the 350 in the daytime to give some fill in.

Another shout for Godox, a TT350 on the camera at low output as a trigger and a bit of fill, which feels nicely weighted on camera, with a TTL V860ii off camera with a soft box.
Nice and flexible set up as you can bounce the V860 on camera when you need to move around quicker, or just use the 350 in the daytime to give some fill in.

Does the TT350 have IR beam?

Back