The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I'm off on holiday, going to Durham and Nottingham areas, and have been pondering what to take out of my 21-100 range. Thinking initially, 25mm, 50mm and 85mm loxias, but wanting to travel really light, now only the 25 & 85.

One thing for sure, shan't be getting that Mitakon however attractive the glass appears. Though my old Olympus 50 f1.2 was one of my preferred lenses, I can't remember the potential extreme lack of depth of field being useful.

Might be interested in an A7rII [or A7III if the price was really good] if anyone with multiple bodies here has any going spare. Will stick a thread in wanted soon, just a head's up, not everyone checks in there.

Might be selling my A7RIII at some point... If that floats your boat
But don't know when...

Well out of my league that one, been saving an age to gather as much as I have as is :D Will obviously need some lenses too

May sell some lenses or all of them. Depends on where I go with this.
I still need to find an alternative first.

Not sure.... £1800-1900-ish
That may change depending on when I sell etc. Need to find something else first.

I've contacted an A7rII seller on the bay to suss them out as they have a 'best offer' option, but I'd rather buy through here as I think to regulars good feedback is important, also there's been some cracking deals on here lately. Almost went for the Z6 that was up yesterday with the XQD and FTz adapter. I'm too gun shy at making offers, it's a lot of moolah to me I guess.

Was tempted by the Z6 myself but Nikon haven't come out with a single lens I'd want! (Yet)

Was tempted by the Z6 myself but Nikon haven't come out with a single lens I'd want! (Yet)

My plan was to use some of the old tried and trusted Fx primes for a while, see how it goes and what they come out with. Atm their 50mm 1.8 is stupidly over priced. If you bought from the likes of Panamoz though the 24-70 only works out about £300 in the kit

33758464488_1bb580518e_b.jpg

Couldn't post this in the Photo section, these deer may be wild but they're not free, confined to the park.
Fallow deer in early morning light, Home Park, Hampton Court.

My plan was to use some of the old tried and trusted Fx primes for a while, see how it goes and what they come out with. Atm their 50mm 1.8 is stupidly over priced. If you bought from the likes of Panamoz though the 24-70 only works out about £300 in the kit

Don't like the 24-70mm for a number of reasons.
I just came back from my holiday. It became blindingly obvious that the ergonomics of Sony bodies kinda sucks.
@snerkler mentioned it a number of times in the past and I brushed it off. but the grip and body doesn't let me shoot or even comfortably hold it safely with one hand even with smaller lenses like 24-105mm.
Either need to find a more ergonomic body or move to APS-C.

Don't like the 24-70mm for a number of reasons.
I just came back from my holiday. It became blindingly obvious that the ergonomics of Sony bodies kinda sucks.
@snerkler mentioned it a number of times in the past and I brushed it off. but the grip and body doesn't let me shoot or even comfortably hold it safely with one hand even with smaller lenses like 24-105mm.
Either need to find a more ergonomic body or move to APS-C.

Is this something you do a lot?

I have my right hand on the grip and my left under the lens with all my cameras.

Is this something you do a lot?

I have my right hand on the grip and my left under the lens with all my cameras.

Previously no hence I never thought it was an issue. These days yes because keeping my toddler son in check needs some effort.
Sometimes it became a choice between keeping my toddler son from hurting himself (which he constantly tries very hard to do) or keep my camera safe.

Well, good luck handing any camera and zoom lens one handed.

I occasionally have to manage with bags of shopping and someone in a wheelchair, yes it can be a pain but is a Nikon going to cure the inherent problems of shooting one handed with a Sony?

Previously no hence I never thought it was an issue. These days yes because keeping my toddler son in check needs some effort.
Sometimes it became a choice between keeping my toddler son from hurting himself (which he constantly tries very hard to do) or keep my camera safe.

Why not a sling type strap like a Black rapid? You can literally drop the camera any time and it'll slink down to rest by your hip.

You do have me re-thinking though, I do like a nice grippy body as I rarely use straps.

I occasionally have to manage with bags of shopping and someone in a wheelchair, yes it can be a pain but is a Nikon going to cure the inherent problems of shooting one handed with a Sony?

Had to do this many a time especially on holiers. Our daughter was in a chair until she was 6 and when whizzing about with her I often had a camera in one hand to capture snaps on the go. Have never dropped one in my life thankfully. But a strap like I mentioned is the most sensible option.

Last edited:
Why not a sling type strap like a Black rapid? You can literally drop the camera any time and it'll slink down to rest by your hip.

You do have me re-thinking though, I do like a nice grippy body as I rarely use straps.

Had to do this many a time especially on holiers. Our daughter was in a chair until she was 6 and when whizzing about with her I often had a camera in one hand to capture snaps on the go. Have never dropped one in my life thankfully. But a strap like I mentioned is the most sensible option.

I have cheap wrist straps on all my cameras and haven't had any damage to date. I usually manage to slip my hand through the wrist strap as I reach into the bag, I can't see one make/model being a massive improvement here but using a prime is a massive advantage for one handed handling.

Shooting is one thing, but just being able to comfortably hold on to it safely for little amount of time is another.
I want to be able to at least hold on to it! We can get on to shooting issues after that ;)

Also as I said perhaps I just need to move to APS-C. I don't know yet.

I can sling it with my peak design strap and did do it a number of times in the end. Not ideal with a bagpack on my back or if I have to quickly get down to grab him etc.

All I can say is my experience with A7RIII has not been a good one last 5 days (purely ergonomics wise). So it got me rethinking.

Odd focal length. Are they not allowed do a 35 or 50 1.8?

No idea why they didn't do a 35mm. Perhaps they don't want to cannibalise their other two 35mm options.
There are already plenty of 50mm-ish options on Sony. Not mention rumours of yet another AF option form yungnuo too.
Would have been nice if it was a tad bit wider, like 40mm instead of 45mm.

No idea why they didn't do a 35mm. Perhaps they don't want to cannibalise their other two 35mm options.
There are already plenty of 50mm-ish options on Sony. Not mention rumours of yet another AF option form yungnuo too.
Would have been nice if it was a tad bit wider, like 40mm instead of 45mm.

Might have been better for them to do something different then, like a 60mm 1.8, now that would be interesting or if this 45mm was a 1.4

Shooting is one thing, but just being able to comfortably hold on to it safely for little amount of time is another.
I want to be able to at least hold on to it! We can get on to shooting issues after that ;)

I can sling it with my peak design strap and did do it a number of times in the end. Not ideal with a bagpack on my back or if I have to quickly get down to grab him etc.

All I can say is my experience with A7RIII has not been a good one last 5 days (purely ergonomics wise). So it got me rethinking.

I use a double-sided Velcro loop through the strap ring on the right side of the body. I then put my middle finger through it which allows me to put my fingers around the grip and hold the camera with one hand without risking it dropping. I can then also loosen the grip on the camera and the loop keeps it securely in place. I do that with my A6500 now and previously with my A7. Having a camera swinging on a strap always gets in my way, especially when my kids are around!

I have cheap wrist straps on all my cameras and haven't had any damage to date. I usually manage to slip my hand through the wrist strap as I reach into the bag, I can't see one make/model being a massive improvement here but using a prime is a massive advantage for one handed handling.

Missus bought me a leather wrist strap a couple Christmas's back but I found it uncomfortable, it didn't have any padding just all leather though.

I use a double-sided Velcro loop through the strap ring on the right side of the body. I then put my middle finger through it which allows me to put my fingers around the grip and hold the camera with one hand without risking it dropping. I can then also loosen the grip on the camera and the loop keeps it securely in place. I do that with my A6500 now and previously with my A7. Having a camera swinging on a strap always gets in my way, especially when my kids are around!

Not quite sure I get the idea, could you perhaps show me a picture please?

Odd focal length. Are they not allowed do a 35 or 50 1.8?

I think sometimes makers go for odd focal length for historical reasons, like they made a 45mm in 1902 :D but with Samyang maybe that's not the case and maybe they're just going for a niche, something to differentiate themselves with and maybe appeal to people who want the slightly wider than 50mm FoV.

My Kodak Instamatic has a 43mm lens and I think some of the very first lenses were 40mm-ish. As a one lens to do it all a 45mm could make a lot of sense. I do like my 40mm Voigtlander and the much cheaper 45mm Minolta Rokkor and I think I could live with a 45mm f1.8 :D

Last edited:
I think sometimes makers go for odd focal length for historical reasons, like they made a 45mm in 1902 :D but with Samyang maybe that's not the case and maybe they're just going for a niche, something to differentiate themselves with and maybe appeal to people who want the slightly wider than 50mm FoV.

My Kodak Instamatic has a 43mm lens and I think some of the very first lenses were 40mm-ish. As a one lens to do it all a 45mm could make a lot of sense. I do like my 40mm Voigtlander and the much cheaper 45mm Minolta Rokkor and I think I could live with a 45mm f1.8 :D

Many photographers are all programmed to prefer certain FL I think, I see many comments on there moaning about the fact it's 45mm when it really isn't a big deal. Might be nice to try something different. I can adjust to any FL no problem but some are set in their ways, If it's not the standard 12/24/28/35/50/85 then it seems odd to them. 45mm might actually be truer to 'standard' view than a 50

Many photographers are all programmed to prefer certain FL I think, I see many comments on there moaning about the fact it's 45mm when it really isn't a big deal. Might be nice to try something different. I can adjust to any FL no problem but some are set in their ways, If it's not the standard 12/24/28/35/50/85 then it seems odd to them. 45mm might actually be truer to 'standard' view than a 50

I used my 43mm Kodak for decades.

There are times when a wider FoV would be nice and over the years I've shifted from that Kodak being my favourite to the Sigma 50mm f1.4 being my favourite to 35mm now being my favourite with the occasional return to 50/55mm :D These days we can sometimes stich too so that adds some possibilities.

What I'd really like as a do it all is an af 35mm f1.8 macro :D

Ergonomic of the A7III are a bit of a challenge. The A7 was small and light, so lack of grip was less of an issue, but the III is quite dense and with a 24-105 feels like it would be easy to drop. My old D610 was easy to carry 1 handed with a metal 28-105 attached even though the outfit was heavier.

Have you considered the battery grip? I have big hands and coming from a gripped D500 has been interesting. But the battery grip is perfect and the camera still feels small, but very comfortable.

Back