The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

They're FWP but luckily some of us are lucky enough to get to spend large chunks finding out if we enjoy the kit or not. That was sort of my point.

Well, so is being fussy about what tv to buy or car or even new pair of shoes to some. I know what you mean, but if you're buying pricey gear anyway, then you can be choosey about it. If like me you have to actually save for a while to buy some new gear then every single factor becomes huge

insane AF isn't just for the toddler though it does help. It's for animals/birds and planes.

With every new thing there are those who don't need it and those who'll use it to do something that wasn't possible before.

With the old stuff you can perhaps capture fast action by zone focusing at small apertures but with the new stuff you can get a high fast action keeper rate at f1.x with lenses and compositions that aren't zone focus friendly and that's something you can't do with the old stuff. I'm sure that in the next few years we'll see even more new stuff :D

What attracts me to Sony is the ISO performance and DR combined mostly, also the IBIS - as there are obviously other FF options. The ergonomics don't really entice me but I know I'd get used to it. Like I say, the Fuji XT1 was certainly not ergonomically great, my G80 p***es all over the XT bodies on that front. If I bought an XT3 I'd want the grip, but I think grips are way over priced for what they are and that irritates me.
There's a free battery grip offer with the xt3 currently

Well, so is being fussy about what tv to buy or car or even new pair of shoes to some. I know what you mean, but if you're buying pricey gear anyway, then you can be choosey about it. If like me you have to actually save for a while to buy some new gear then every single factor becomes huge

It's one reason to be upset about the demise of town centre camera shops. There used to be three I used to go to but they all went years ago and now I have to rely on reviews and forums and buy without trying first. That G7 looked an easy win for me but I hated the handling even without the shutter shock issue.

Over in Thailand in Mrs WW's home town there's a shopping centre with three large camera shops within yards of each other and they seem to have everything that we'd be interested in... bodies and lenses... in stock. I do wish it was like that in the UK.

It's one reason to be upset about the demise of town centre camera shops. There used to be three I used to go to but they all went years ago and now I have to rely on reviews and forums and buy without trying first. That G7 looked an easy win for me but I hated the handling even without the shutter shock issue.

Over in Thailand in Mrs WW's home town there's a shopping centre with three large camera shops within yards of each other and they seem to have everything that we'd be interested in... bodies and lenses... in stock. I do wish it was like that in the UK.

I hear you on that, I miss the old camera stores in small towns over here, as a kid I used to wander in to them now and then and spend hours just staring at old film cameras I couldn't afford - but I could touch them, get a feel for them, and then save up my pocket money until I had enough to buy them, it was much more of a thrill when you finally hit your target than these days [not least because they didn't cost an arm and a kidney!] .. now I prowl web sites staring at images of cameras I can't afford :D and end up watching hour upon hour of reviews to try imagine how they might feel in my hand, I can't get a real feel for how that evf looks to my eye orif that grip is comfy enough for me personally

There is still some decent camera stores over here, they're just all in the bigger cities. Closest to me is Dublin, and if I wasn't such a lazy bugger these days I could very well take the bus over and play with any cameras I want, used to do it up until about 2 years back when i bought the G80 ... funnily enough, when my first G80 had to be returned they sent me a loaner G7 ... and I hated it too :D even though it's very similar, it felt much flimsier to me, and of course it didn't have IBIS but it also had a woeful shutter, the G80 is much the better camera by far.

Probably most UK retailers. Amazon and wex for sure.

Yeah just checked WEX, thing is, they're £300 more than some other places for the body only, inc Fuji official refurb. Still a good deal for brand new, a consideration

Last edited:
There is still some decent camera stores over here, they're just all in the bigger cities. Closest to me is Dublin, and if I wasn't such a lazy bugger these days I could very well take the bus over and play with any cameras I want, used to do it up until about 2 years back when i bought the G80 ... funnily enough, when my first G80 had to be returned they sent me a loaner G7 ... and I hated it too :D even though it's very similar, it felt much flimsier to me, and of course it didn't have IBIS but it also had a woeful shutter, the G80 is much the better camera by far.

It was the shape of the G7 grip that I couldn't get used to, it just felt so uncomfortable.

To get to a camera shop I'd have to spend a day on it and get the train into a city and spending a day like that isn't top of my list as I get so little free time. We may be going to Singapore this year so no doubt I'll get to look in a few shop windows and drool.

It was the shape of the G7 grip that I couldn't get used to, it just felt so uncomfortable.

To get to a camera shop I'd have to spend a day on it and get the train into a city and spending a day like that isn't top of my list as I get so little free time. We may be going to Singapore this year so no doubt I'll get to look in a few shop windows and drool.

The G80 is the most comfortable camera I've held in a while, just shows how personal preference can be so varied, I couldn't deal with RF style bodies. I had the Xpro1 also and hated using it where many others adore that camera. I liked the results, but using it was awkward, ergonomics won there and I sold that before the XT1

The G80 is the most comfortable camera I've held in a while, just shows how personal preference can be so varied, I couldn't deal with RF style bodies. I had the Xpro1 also and hated using it where many others adore that camera. I liked the results, but using it was awkward, ergonomics won there and I sold that before the XT1

Used my GX9 today with Oly 17mm f1.8. It may not be to everyones taste, small sensor and all, and bashed in thread after thread but it was a joy :D

Used my GX9 today with Oly 17mm f1.8. It may not be to everyones taste, small sensor and all, and bashed in thread after thread but it was a joy :D

That's how I felt about it, much more pick up and go and just get taking pictures without all the faff - I just get the itch every now and then to try something else. The way I view gear, it's whatever is getting me out to take photos at the time that is priority, I don't care about labels or sensor sizes, there's benefits to both sides. I haven't had a high MP camera in a long time now and that's why the A7RII attracts me, and I do like that FF look sometimes. On the other hand I love M43 for macro and for the extra reach for birds etc, a much more affordable system. I might even try both side by side for a it, see what I really prefer.

That's how I felt about it, much more pick up and go and just get taking pictures without all the faff - I just get the itch every now and then to try something else. The way I view gear, it's whatever is getting me out to take photos at the time that is priority, I don't care about labels or sensor sizes, there's benefits to both sides. I haven't had a high MP camera in a long time now and that's why the A7RII attracts me, and I do like that FF look sometimes. On the other hand I love M43 for macro and for the extra reach for birds etc, a much more affordable system. I might even try both side by side for a it, see what I really prefer.

In that case, just buy a camera and get out and use it!

One thing I do like MFT for is close up flower / leaf shots with a film era 50mm f2.8 macro.

If you do go FF I think you'd get a lot out of doing what I do - read about old lenses, find nice examples, buy them for not a lot of money, spend ages looking at minute differences between the different lenses at different apertures and then have your favourites for different shots and end looks :D

In that case, just buy a camera and get out and use it!

I have one :D and I use it pretty much daily. That's my point, that is what I like about what I have, there's nothing snazzy about it it's just simple gear. Should I never want more besides? I think not.

One thing I do like MFT for is close up flower / leaf shots with a film era 50mm f2.8 macro.

If you do go FF I think you'd get a lot out of doing what I do - read about old lenses, find nice examples, buy them for not a lot of money, spend ages looking at minute differences between the different lenses at different apertures and then have your favourites for different shots and end looks :D

I love the chase when it comes to old lenses, doing the research reading up on the history etc ... it can be either fun and satisfying or really frustrating but it never costs much but time

I need to get a full Sony Macro, had to do this full manual, adapted the AF on it sucks, and the fact that you can't touch to focus (yes I know you can touch to pick focus points) is another aspect the A73 can be improved in the next version.

kMMgwPX.jpg

I need to get a full Sony Macro, had to do this full manual, adapted the AF on it sucks, and the fact that you can't touch to focus (yes I know you can touch to pick focus points) is another aspect the A73 can be improved in the next version.

kMMgwPX.jpg

I might be missing something here, but wouldn't any good lens with decent close up focus do the trick for this? It's nowhere near 1:1 macro so a lens with 1:4 or 1:3 magnification and close focusing might be better? Unless you also want to do much closer in work too? But then AF is not important, most high magnification macro is done using MF

I might be missing something here, but wouldn't any good lens with decent close up focus do the trick for this? It's nowhere near 1:1 macro so a lens with 1:4 or 1:3 magnification and close focusing might be better? Unless you also want to do much closer in work too? But then AF is not important, most high magnification macro is done using MF

It’s often used for more close up than this. Don’t take this one photo for all the ring photos that I use it for. I’m just commenting on the canon L’s performance adapted that’s all.

Last edited:
It’s often used for more close up than this. Don’t take this one photo for all the ring photos that I use it for. I’m just commenting on the canon L’s performance adapted that’s all.

That's why I asked if you sometimes need more magnification. Maybe you do but Id never use AF for high magnification, even native macro lenses can be very iffy with AF once you pass a certain magnification point. Just making a suggestion anyway

Out for the day today with the Smallrig L-bracket on, and it DOES handle better like that, but now it's the same size & weight as a D750. :banghead:

One from this evening, trying to channel a little Neil Burnell.

Bird on a stick
by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

There is a voigtlander 110mm macro for £650 in LCE. It's in near mint condition and boxed.
Seems this lens even pips the legendary voigtlander 125mm macro.
Tempted myself but I am skint lol.

I’ve been trying out animal AF this morning with Red Squirrels. Actually impressed it worked with them. It picks up their eye when aren’t moving fast (when they moved quickly it didn’t seem to track the eye but reacquired focus again quite quickly). I was using the 100-400 at 300-400mm about 4-5m away from the red squirrel with wide area AF and silent shutter.

For posed images it looks like it works quite well, probably not yet for fast action. Did to experiment further if the eye has to be so big in the frame. To really check focus I need to get the images on a computer as I’ve only reviewed them on the back LCD.

I’m starting to think this could be the start of a huge game changer for wildlife photographers. It could open up worrying about composition rather than trying to spend time trying to follow the eye. Automatic animal AF coupled with silent shutter could make remote trigger wide angle images so much easier.

Sony RMT-P1BT bluetooth remote control

Just a heads up, the new remote arrived today, but is only supported on my A7III (v3) and not the A9 (v5) - the support for the A9 is coming in firmware V6.

Anyone noticed eye af not working when the person has a hat on? Shooting today and eye af would not engage when they were wearing a hat even though this wasn't blocking the eyes.

Interesting. Did face detect still work?

Maybe the hat made the eye/face look too different? I wonder if the style of hat makes a difference? Or maybe the camera was making a fashion critique based decision not to shoot? :D

Anyone noticed eye af not working when the person has a hat on? Shooting today and eye af would not engage when they were wearing a hat even though this wasn't blocking the eyes.

Too much in the shadows?

The algorithm is basically analysing a bunch of pixels and guess 2 dark areas next to each other with a centre dark area centres lowered down with another dark area straight below that with all that surrounding pixels on a similar colour pixels (skin) forehead, cheek etc. When you have a hat on they covers the forehead, you either make the eye socket “disappears” and also removing the skin on show above it meaning a part of what qualifies a face is now missing.

I am guessing.

Last edited:
Talking of eye AF, I was shooting some birds yesterday and was surprised to see the eye AF box come up on some of them. This was on the A9 which is yet to get animal eye AF. Anybody else notice this?

EDIT: Now I remember why I don't upload photos directly on the forum. Might have to start using Flickr again.

1.jpeg

Last edited:
Can I ask how everyone cleans their sensors. The manual seems to point towards using a blower but it doesn’t mention a way to use a lens pen or swab. Am I right in thinking the sensor ‘floats’ (ie it’s not locked) due to in body image stabilisation? Could touching the sensor damage the IBIS?

Can I ask how everyone cleans their sensors. The manual seems to point towards using a blower but it doesn’t mention a way to use a lens pen or swab. Am I right in thinking the sensor ‘floats’ (ie it’s not locked) due to in body image stabilisation? Could touching the sensor damage the IBIS?

There's a cleaning mode in the menus, run that to make it shake the sensor and then lock into place to facilitate cleaning.

Without doing that as you suspect it'll slide all over the place.

If you need to do a wet clean, from what I’ve seen you need to leave the camera on because this locks the ibis and sensor in place. I thought it was a weird way of doing it due to the apparent increased magnetic forces people talk about but it worked for me.

To do this you put it in sensor cleaning mode.

See this video:
View: http://youtu.be/CitBFhEl7I8

Last edited:
There's a cleaning mode in the menus, run that to make it shake the sensor and then lock into place to facilitate cleaning.

Without doing that as you suspect it'll slide all over the place.
I’ve been using the cleaning mode. It runs the clean (shake) then says to turn off the camera to do the clean. Using a Blower seems fine but even with very gentle use of a lensklear pen there seems to be some slight movement at the sides of the sensor where there looks like there are some curtain/material.

I can't say for Sony as my Sony doesn't have IBIS but don't some cameras with IBIS have a sensor lock option for manual cleaning?

I can't say for Sony as my Sony doesn't have IBIS but don't some cameras with IBIS have a sensor lock option for manual cleaning?
The manual says this:

888EE2D4-BE07-4FCC-92FD-189AF49511DC.jpeg
It doesn’t explain if it locks the sensor or not. If the blood were doesn’t shift it they say contact a service centre. They don’t mention if you can touch the sensor or not.

I’ve been using the cleaning mode. It runs the clean (shake) then says to turn off the camera to do the clean. Using a Blower seems fine but even with very gentle use of a lensklear pen there seems to be some slight movement at the sides of the sensor where there looks like there are some curtain/material.

It also says "You can also clean the image sensor manually if necessary."

So if you want the sensor locked in place for manual cleaning then follow the above instructions and run cleaning mode but leave it on after until you're done.

Googling suggests that when the inbuilt cleaning cycle ends the sensor is locked and can be cleaned whilst the camera is turned on...

https://briansmith.com/5-simple-steps-camera-sensor-cleaning/

I don't know if that's certainly true but maybe Googling something like "can the A7RIII sensor be locked for manual cleaning" may throw something up.

Or maybe wait a bit longer and someone who has the camera will post :D

PS.
As per Simon :D

Back