The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

So I picked up an MC-11 for my A7 III mainly because I'm getting a Sigma 150-600c but now I've started looking at loads of Canon lenses (for example the 70-200L f/4 USM for £379 brand new) and wondered if anyone running latest firmware could recommend any other bargains out there that work well on this set up?

Good question, the camera I almost bought yesterday would have come with the same adapter. I already had a 50mm 1.8 ready to go but was also interested in the Canon 85mm 1.8 USM - I have heard that one works as if it were native! I have seen people on here say the Sony 85 1.8 is better, but is it twice as good? The Canon is well loved and can be had used for not much above £200.

Good question, the camera I almost bought yesterday would have come with the same adapter. I already had a 50mm 1.8 ready to go but was also interested in the Canon 85mm 1.8 USM - I have heard that one works as if it were native! I have seen people on here say the Sony 85 1.8 is better, but is it twice as good? The Canon is well loved and can be had used for not much above £200.

I've had that f/4 70-200 L lens in my basket 3 times tonight haha, I want a 70-200 and this is like a 1/3 of the UK price for the Sony f/4 and less than half of a grey import. (I do have the Sony 85mm f/1.8 and it's a belter)

I've had that f/4 70-200 L lens in my basket 3 times tonight haha, I want a 70-200 and this is like a 1/3 of the UK price for the Sony f/4 and less than half of a grey import. (I do have the Sony 85mm f/1.8 and it's a belter)

Actually quick look on DXO confirms the Sony is actually almost twice as good :ROFLMAO: But ... it is also twice the price used. I almost bought the 70-200 F4 for my G80, it would have been a bit wasted for just shooting garden birds so instead I got their cheap as chips 55-250 which has a little extra reach too. But that is an EF-S lens, so fine for M43 but rubbish for FF. The 70-200 F4 is a steal used IMO, you have IBIS on cam so don't even look at the IS version

The 70-200 F4 is a steal used IMO, you have IBIS on cam so don't even look at the IS version

I can't seem to see it used for less than the grey import new price of £379

Obviously didn't look hard enough haha

*edit, though for the difference I would probably go new, especially with it being such an old lens

Last edited:
I had a wedding last week where a guest was carrying two 5Ds with speedlights on a black rapid harness with 70-200 on one and 24-70 on the other. Another guest commented that 'He looks like a real photographer.' There's still the perception that the best cameras/lenses are the biggest.
Don't you love when they do that? :oops: :$

Had a friend of the bride rock up at one a couple of months pack with 2 peli cases full of gear.

As we headed down to the beach he started chatting to me and explained that he was in the middle of setting up a wedding photography business.

So we got down to the beach and he started setting up all of his gear, he had a D850 and another Nikon, a D750 I think. I waited until he was ready to go then explained that he couldn't be there while we where working but told him he could have 2 minutes to take a few shots before we started but that we couldn't start until he finished. The bride let him take one photo then told him to head on. :p

I would normally be a bit more forgiving but he had spent most of the ceremony waving around his D850 with a 70-200 and the flash going bang every 2 seconds and it was starting to wear a bit thin.

Also not that long ago had the wedding car driver keep the bride late for the ceremony because he had stopped for a "portrait session" with the bride and the bridesmaids.

I just don't get either of these scenarios. I am trying to get into wedding photography as well but wouldn't dream of doing that as a guest.

I was at a wedding the other week (I was best man to be fair) but I had no urge to have my camera out at all. I ended up getting it out for about 10 minutes in the evening and put it back away and just enjoyed the day.

I had a good chat with the togs and they were great, very helpful and sorted out contact details and told me to ask them anything I want (even thanked me at the end of the day for 'not getting in the way/being like some other people they've met trying to get into it').

Paid photographers are there to do that job and I can imagine you guys just think what a c**k when someone does that!

Don't you love when they do that? :oops: :$

Had a friend of the bride rock up at one a couple of months pack with 2 peli cases full of gear.

As we headed down to the beach he started chatting to me and explained that he was in the middle of setting up a wedding photography business.

So we got down to the beach and he started setting up all of his gear, he had a D850 and another Nikon, a D750 I think. I waited until he was ready to go then explained that he couldn't be there while we where working but told him he could have 2 minutes to take a few shots before we started but that we couldn't start until he finished. The bride let him take one photo then told him to head on. :p

I would normally be a bit more forgiving but he had spent most of the ceremony waving around his D850 with a 70-200 and the flash going bang every 2 seconds and it was starting to wear a bit thin.

Also not that long ago had the wedding car driver keep the bride late for the ceremony because he had stopped for a "portrait session" with the bride and the bridesmaids.

You're a much more patient man than I, that'll be the pro in you, experience. I've only shot a handful of weddings but got really agitated with some 'Aunt Biddy' types trying to muscle me out of the way using their phones. At one of my sister's weddings I called her aside [my sister, not Auntie Biddy!] and told her to give the order that I was the only camera people should look to - she did, and that's what happened, not sure if it was the correct thing to do but the bride agreed and she's the boss!

Last edited:
Look at the date code :) the one I got was less than a year old.

How's your experience of the lens been? Which body etc?

Instead of buying and adapting all those zooms wouldn't you be better off just spending a bit more and getting a Sony 100-400? It's the best superzoom around and it'll offer native and very fast AF.

Instead of buying and adapting all those zooms wouldn't you be better off just spending a bit more and getting a Sony 100-400? It's the best superzoom around and it'll offer native and very fast AF.

Probably because it costs more than the camera itself! What's wrong with adapting lenses? if they perform just as good and are a lot cheaper? I can never understand the anti-adapting stance, these adapters are created because people like doing so. I wouldn't buy a lens like that 100-400 unless I was being paid to shoot!

I want more reach than 400 and the TC makes it even more expensive. The 150-600 is supposed to work brilliantly on latest firmware. I'm just an enthusiast so spending £2-2.5k on a 100-400 is not really realistic for me currently. Money being no object I would no doubt go that route, along with the GM 70-200 f/2.8 and TC's.

I really think the Sony FF system is lacking in enthusiast level lenses especially zooms. I love the camera but I sometimes think it might not have been the best choice for me with the price of native glass and lack of 3rd party options.

Probably because it costs more than the camera itself! What's wrong with adapting lenses? if they perform just as good and are a lot cheaper? I can never understand the anti-adapting stance, these adapters are created because people like doing so. I wouldn't buy a lens like that 100-400 unless I was being paid to shoot!

And? What's wrong with buying a very good expensive lens?

Perform just as good? Just because you like doing it doesn't make it better.

Anti adapting stance, that's funny.

I really think the Sony FF system is lacking in enthusiast level lenses especially zooms. I love the camera but I sometimes think it might not have been the best choice for me with the price of native glass and lack of 3rd party options.

This is the one thing I really don't like about Sony FF, lack of options for the budget enthusiast. Slapping Zeiss onto zooms that should be half the price without it is another. Where's even the 70-300 options outside of the G series?

And? What's wrong with buying a very good expensive lens?

Perform just as good? Just because you like doing it doesn't make it better.

Anti adapting stance, that's funny.

It's what it is, as soon as someone mentions adapting anything outside of Sony you're in like a hot snot :D They make all those adapters just for me, aye ... what's wrong with buying cheaper alternatives is the only relevant question here. The answer to yours is blatantly obvious

I want more reach than 400 and the TC makes it even more expensive. The 150-600 is supposed to work brilliantly on latest firmware. I'm just an enthusiast so spending £2-2.5k on a 100-400 is not really realistic for me currently. Money being no object I would no doubt go that route, along with the GM 70-200 f/2.8 and TC's.

A grey 100-400 is under 1700.

I'm guessing a new 150-600 is 600 plus mc11 is 150 and canon 70200f4 is 400ish. That's already 1150. I'm not saying don't do it, just worth considering for a few hundred quid more if you can save/stretch.

A grey 100-400 is under 1700.

I'm guessing a new 150-600 is 600 plus mc11 is 150 and canon 70200f4 is 400ish. That's already 1150. I'm not saying don't do it, just worth considering for a few hundred quid more if you can save/stretch.

2 new lenses with more versatility and enough over to buy a pretty decent third! [say an 85 1.8]

The Sony is no doubt amazing but it is a hell of an investment for the more casual shooter

It's what it is, as soon as someone mentions adapting anything outside of Sony you're in like a hot snot :D They make all those adapters just for me, aye ... what's wrong with buying cheaper alternatives is the only relevant question here. The answer to yours is blatantly obvious

Whens that exactly, because I said that the fe50 is alright in comparison to canikon native? I adapted and used mc11 and sigma arts lol, do you know what you're even talking about? I even have a bunch of rokkors.

It's called a suggestion and a decent one if someone can stretch. The 100-400 is a fantastic lens and a lot of people switch from adapted to the native lens for better performance.

Last edited:
Whens that exactly? I adapted and used mc11 and sigma arts lol, do you know what you're even talking about? I even have a bunch of rokkors.

It's called a suggestion and a decent one if someone can stretch. The 100-400 is a fantastic lens and a lot of people switch from adapted to the native lens for better performance.

Oooh narky pants! :D I didn't mean YOU specifically, I meant your type :p And yes, I do know what I'm talking about I'd already offered a sensible reasoning above

2 new lenses with more versatility and enough over to buy a pretty decent third! [say an 85 1.8]

The Sony is no doubt amazing but it is a hell of an investment for the more casual shooter

More lenses is not always better than 1 very good lens... Oh an 85 like he already has.

And who said it isn't expensive?

Last edited:
Oooh narky pants! :D I didn't mean YOU specifically, I meant your type :p And yes, I do know what I'm talking about I'd already offered a sensible reasoning above

What's my type? You wrongly assumed I've never adapted and I am completely against it.

Last edited:
@twist I'm going to buy a Sony camera and only ever adapt council house primes and tag you in every image I upload to here, which will be every hour on the hour :ROFLMAO:

Bout time to, you've been talking about it forever :p

Timing is everything! well, actually money is :D I just can't commit, this is why I flirt so much! ;)

You missed it btw, I actually did buy a Sony yesterday, and all was well until we came to insured delivery options to here so had to bail on it. I also have, for the third time, a wanted up for an A7RII in classified

Last edited:
Eh? Cagey75 doesn’t own a Sony? You would have never guessed :) *runs and hides his 100-400 before Cagey75 sees it*

Eh? Cagey75 doesn’t own a Sony? You would have never guessed :) *runs and hides his 100-400 before Cagey75 sees it*

I did for a couple hours yesterday, does that count?

Your lens is safe btw, I'd have me balls cut off if I ever bought that :ROFLMAO:

Timing is everything! well, actually money is :D I just can't commit, this is why I flirt so much! ;)

You missed it btw, I actually did buy a Sony yesterday, and all was well until we came to insured delivery options to here so had to bail on it. I also have, for the third time, a wanted up for an A7RII in classified

I'm sure you'll get one soon enough.

There's an A6000 plus 16-50mm in the for sale section.

I've always fancied one of these but as I have a couple of MFT RF style cameras swapping just doesn't make sense especially as IMO the MFT handle better with dial at the top front and back.

I still fancy one though :D

Ach, if I wait too long I'll drink and gamble the money away, think I'm going to buy a Fuji :D

Why not just but a cheap A7 and adapt some film era lenses? It might satisfy the FF gas itch and will cost a fraction of the cost of the gear you're currently looking at.

Back