The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Why not just but a cheap A7 and adapt some film era lenses? It might satisfy the FF gas itch and will cost a fraction of the cost of the gear you're currently looking at.

I have thought on it, but then started to think whatever I buy now may very well replace my M43 gear [most of which is gone now] instead of just go along side. The A7III would definitely have done so. That's making the decision harder as I've mostly always been the one camera/system type. Even when I shot Fuji with 2 bodies it would feel a bit of a waste as I'd usually only ever leave the house with the one. I know I'm pondering way too much, but maybe that's part of the fun in a weird way. Right now my fancies are the A7RII and XH1. OR keep the G80 and give an XT2 a go [there's a good bundle going local with grip and lens and fringer pro adapter] and adapt lenses between them, or as you suggest something like an A7/II again with adapting between. I'm already adapting Canon lenses to the G80 ... so the Canon RP is also in the picture and despite the hate for that camera, it intrigues me

I bought the A6000 for my boy for night sky/telescope shooting & in all honesty, the EVF being in the top corner isn't that bad. I thought it would feel really strange not looking 'centrally' through the camera.

Now, this would interest me! As I don't like the Sony APSC body style at all as is
What would interest me more is if they did some fast zooms specifically for APS-C, such as a 16-50mm f2.8 (The a-mount one was great) and 50-140mm f2.8. Fuji seem to be the only company that cater for these.

I bought the A6000 for my boy for night sky/telescope shooting & in all honesty, the EVF being in the top corner isn't that bad. I thought it would feel really strange not looking 'centrally' through the camera.

I've never like an RF style evf, I know many love them. Same reason I never owned a Panasonic GX** body, too small and fiddly and I much prefer a centered evf plus grip, give me grip! People like small cameras and that's fine, but Sony A6*** series ... did they have to be soooo compact? I had an Olmpus em5 for a bit too, also a Fuji xpro1 - liked the output, hated the ergonomics, so they had to go. It's more of an issue than we like to think, you need to feel comfy with your camera.

What would interest me more is if they did some fast zooms specifically for APS-C, such as a 16-50mm f2.8 (The a-mount one was great) and 50-140mm f2.8. Fuji seem to be the only company that cater for these.

I'm not even familiar with their APSC lenses, that's how disinterested I was with that system. I think it's a major reason why people opt for Fuji over Sony APSC, even in cases where the Sony may perform better in every other way, they'll choose a Fuji, because ergonomics matter greatly

I have thought on it, but then started to think whatever I buy now may very well replace my M43 gear [most of which is gone now] instead of just go along side. The A7III would definitely have done so. That's making the decision harder as I've mostly always been the one camera/system type. Even when I shot Fuji with 2 bodies it would feel a bit of a waste as I'd usually only ever leave the house with the one. I know I'm pondering way too much, but maybe that's part of the fun in a weird way. Right now my fancies are the A7RII and XH1. OR keep the G80 and give an XT2 a go [there's a good bundle going local with grip and lens and fringer pro adapter] and adapt lenses between them, or as you suggest something like an A7/II again with adapting between. I'm already adapting Canon lenses to the G80 ... so the Canon RP is also in the picture and despite the hate for that camera, it intrigues me

I don't know if you'll ever replace MFT with any FF system, I doubt I could as the wider and longer lenses for FF will be bigger and heavier. For eg I have the Oly 9-18mm and the Panny 45-150mm plus the MFT kit is just so quick to shoot with and although I haven't tried the A7iii/A9 I'd be amazed if they got anywhere near the speed, responsiveness and unobtrusiveness of the MFT kit.

There's a piece here on Andreas Feininger who apparently was one of the great documentary photographers...

http://pindelski.org/Photography/2019/04/24/andreas-feininger/

There's a shot of Union Station in 1948.

There are often interesting articles on hat site but I'm not a fan of he man himself as he tends to knock the UK which seems odd as I think he's British but some ex pats do seem to go a bit rabid when talking about the UK.

I don't know if you'll ever replace MFT with any FF system, I doubt I could as the wider and longer lenses for FF will be bigger and heavier. For eg I have the Oly 9-18mm and the Panny 45-150mm plus the MFT kit is just so quick to shoot with and although I haven't tried the A7iii/A9 I'd be amazed if they got anywhere near the speed, responsiveness and unobtrusiveness of the MFT kit.

I'd say everyone on this forum knows by now how much I love the M43 system :D I've defended it enough, and I do still love it. This is more about balance for me now, I want a bit of both. I can't have that comfortably, APSC is that middle ground, and Fuji is where I would only look to for that. Yes there's issues with Fuji too but I have never been unable to work around them. Used that system for a few years and when I look through my own images blind, then check, I find most of my personal favs were shot on Fuji - that is one of the big reasons I'm re-interested there.

If I ditched M43 I'd really miss a lot of the benefits, I don't think the FF only crowd realise how much fun it can be to shoot with. I'd definitely miss the tele end, I've never been in any way a wide angle shooter so that doesn't matter to me personally. But slapping a light as you like 400mm+ FF 'equivalent' lens onto an already compact body is a joy for say, shooting birds in the garden! This is why I want to keep my G80 most! not for many other reasons, oh macro too, similarly it's far easier fill the frame and also you get DOUBLE DOF!! take that FF preachers! :D

Samyang are pretty quick at releasing lenses after announced aren’t they? 85mm came out quite quick?

Want to see what the 45mm is all about.

Samyang are pretty quick at releasing lenses after announced aren’t they? 85mm came out quite quick?

Want to see what the 45mm is all about.

It's a shame the autofocus of their lenses is pure s*** lol

The 35mm f1.4 is the best of the samyang bunch. Hopefully the 85mm performs similar to that rather than the 50mm.
From what I read and hear its better.
I might go into a shop to try it over the weekend if any of them stock it.

Have you forgot to set your camera out of manual focus mode?

No isn't that the way it's meant to be done ? Maybe I got unlucky but I'd never buy another Samyang autofocus lens again. Every other lens I've owned and currently own is bang on but the samyangs were legitimate turds

Have you forgot to set your camera out of manual focus mode?

haha.

:D

Is it just me or has the thread gotten a little techy lately? Maybe peeps need a nice soothing cup of tea.... Aaahhhhh, that's nice.... and breathe... :D

I'm looking forward to reading reviews of the 45mm f1.8 but before making any decision I'll wait and see if the long rumored Sony 35mm f1.8 finally appears or maybe Sigma will get their first? If I buy anything it's most likely to be a compact 35mm f1.8.

I had the 50 & it was a little hunty in CAF but absolutely fine otherwise & worked well in eyeAF. The 35 2.8 is good and doesn't hunt more in CAF than the 24-105.

Samyang are a horror show. :D

However, they are improving all the time and they do at least try to be different, the 24mm & 35mm f/2.8's give a good travel option. The new 45mm looks pretty tiny as well.

Some of their manual foucus lenses are very good, the 85mm f/1.4 for example is excellent.

I got my daughter a used 12mm fisheye from here, which is kind of fun to use.

I can't imagine that anyone would choose any of Samyang's lenses over the Sony or Sigma equivalents though if they where priced the same.

Samyang are crap, but cheap.

Ime the Samyang 35 1.4 wasn't a slouch, e.g with subjects approaching the camera at fast walking pace in afc the SZ was better but other than that the Samyang was as fast.

Last edited:
Samyang are a horror show. :D

However, they are improving all the time and they do at least try to be different, the 24mm & 35mm f/2.8's give a good travel option. The new 45mm looks pretty tiny as well.

Some of their manual foucus lenses are very good, the 85mm f/1.4 for example is excellent.

I got my daughter a used 12mm fisheye from here, which is kind of fun to use.

I can't imagine that anyone would choose any of Samyang's lenses over the Sony or Sigma equivalents though if they where priced the same.

Samyang are crap, but cheap.

Not even council house prime standard man. Lol

Ime the Samyang 35 1.4 wasn't a slouch, e.g with subjects approaching the camera at fast walking pace in afc the SZ was better but other than that the Samyang was as fast.
SZ is probably the best 35mm I have used as far as AF goes. It's not really fair to compare it to that at the price Samyang sells for.
IQ wise think we can both agree that its actually sharper than SZ at F1.4 with less CA too.

Bought a Tog knife. :D

Thought it was appropriate. lol

gXBOzf4.jpg

Is this a good time to say that I got set of 6 x desert, tea spoons, forks and knives from a Pound shop?

Anyway.

I got up 6am to an almost cloudless blue sky. We had breakfast and washed up and I took Mrs WW to school (she goes to a class three days a week) and it was lovely so I thought I'd take my A7 and 45mm f2 out to photograph some nearby bluebells but in the course of the 15 minute drive home the conditions changed to no direct light, dead flat light, wet in the air and chilly so there's just no point stepping out of the door. Oh well...

Adobe have a "Creative Types" quiz.

I nearly gave up on the first question but carried on and gave up soon afterwards. Some of the questions are IMO just stupid with no answer option I agree with.

But if you're board or just need to know...

https://mycreativetype.com/

SZ is probably the best 35mm I have used as far as AF goes. It's not really fair to compare it to that at the price Samyang sells for.
IQ wise think we can both agree that its actually sharper than SZ at F1.4 with less CA too.

That's the point I was making. It's a decent lens for the price.

For those of you that shoot weddings:
I have mainly been a full manual shooter but I'm considering trying Aperture Priority and Auto ISO.

Anyone here shooting this way that can offer some advice please?
For those of you that do no shoot this way, what are your go to settings instead, please?

Last edited:
Back