The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

This is just not the case whatsoever, I don't know where this idea comes from but I see it all the time as soon as someone mentions manual mode. I shoot M because it's how I learned, it's what I'm used to, I actually find it less fiddly than semi-auto modes. It's that simple, use whatever mode suits you but I don't see any of them being any different to the other. The only time anyone actually mentions they shoot manual is when discussions like this come up about Auto ISO ...
Maybe you don't, but I have seen it where folk believe/say that you should always use manual and people who use semi auto modes don't know how to use a camera properly :rolleyes:
He's baaaaaack
Harrisons are already rubbing their hands ;)

Maybe you don't, but I have seen it where folk believe/say that you should always use manual and people who use semi auto modes don't know how to use a camera properly :rolleyes:

Tbh, I see more people say that people say that this happens than I have ever seen claim such nonsense :D

Tbh, I see more people say that people say that this happens than I have ever seen claim such nonsense :D
TBH it's more in shops and at workshops etc that I've seen/heard it, although I have also seen it on forums from time to time (y)

TBH it's more in shops and at workshops etc that I've seen/heard it, although I have also seen it on forums from time to time (y)

There’s a couple of very popular American fb pages where I see it regularly. There’s genuine snobbery regarding manual shooting that’s bizarre. Bit like a certain film emulation page where ppl state they get better results using a preset by pushing the ‘film preset’ by an amount in camera. Er, like, it’s called over exposing and has to be done via iso, not dropping your shutter speed. Seriously. Seen that a lot

I tried Aperture and Shutter priority today, didn't notice too much difference in results tbh, apart from the camera (A7 III) running slower, burst mode noticeable slower and felt slower to focus too but that could've been in my head as since the firmware update I've been messing about with lots more focus modes than I used to. I guess the camera is having to calculate more things between each frame.

I tried Aperture and Shutter priority today, didn't notice too much difference in results tbh, apart from the camera (A7 III) running slower, burst mode noticeable slower and felt slower to focus too but that could've been in my head as since the firmware update I've been messing about with lots more focus modes than I used to. I guess the camera is having to calculate more things between each frame.
Mode shouldn’t make any difference to frame rate.

Our living room is our cinema room.
I have a unlimited Cineworld card that I use to get my dose of the big screen. I basically watch anything and everything I want to see at the cinema.
In fact haven't turned on the telly myself in like 6 months lol.
I still have that Xbox one I bought from you though.

And my cinema room isn't nearly in the same league as his. But I bet I'd kick his arse at Fifa.

Last edited:
We started watching "Lost" again today and enjoying it again :D

I've never owned a games console :D

We started watching "Lost" again today and enjoying it again :D

I've never owned a games console :D
Apart from going to the cinema sometimes on my own, playing games is the only other time I get my own time. It's nice not to have to think about anything or share my food and drink once in a while lol.

But online gaming is tiresome and I have given up on that ages ago. It's full of immature teenagers or people with brains of one.

Last edited:

Not experienced this, I tend to use a,s,m modes.

Ah, so many hours of my life wasted. Did we ever find out what the black smoke was?

Not even a PlayStation?

Yes. We get to know what the smokey bloke is. Mrs WW hasn't seen it and is riveted :D

I worked in computers for years and I got sick of the sight of them. I used to have maybe 15-20 at home now I have 2, a tablet and a laptop, and when they're not in use they're put out of sight.

I used to play some pc based games, Elite is one I remember. I also remember games that started...

"You are seated at a table in the middle of a room."

:D

Yes. We get to know what the smokey bloke is. Mrs WW hasn't seen it and is riveted :D

I worked in computers for years and I got sick of the sight of them. I used to have maybe 15-20 at home now I have 2, a tablet and a laptop, and when they're not in use they're put out of sight.

I used to play some pc based games, Elite is one I remember. I also remember games that started...

"You are seated at a table in the middle of a room."

:D

Woofy remembers the original leisure suit Larry.

I don't see how the camera is having more things to do as even in manual it'll be working... doing the metering and displaying the exposure scale etc.

Maybe give it another go and see what you think.

Woofy remembers the original leisure suit Larry.

Based on me.

PS.
I worked on stuff that didn't boot until you flipped some paddles and stuffed some numbers into it, the first working distributed system, stuff that didn't have processors so everything was gated through logic, stuff that didn't even have circuit boards and tracks, Dec PDP's, IBM this and that's, I saw the first Winchester drives (50% of which was bad tracked and mapped out,) the first pc's, the first IBM pc's, 8080 and up to Pentiums and saw disc drives shrink from 20mp and taking two of us to lift them to todays teeny weenies, main frames, towers, desk tops, Novel networks, lan stations, portables, notebooks... seen it all :D

Last edited:
I don't see how the camera is having more things to do as even in manual it'll be working... doing the metering and displaying the exposure scale etc.

Maybe give it another go and see what you think.

I did think it strange, I wonder if I had the drive mode on something other than Hi+ in A & S mode, I'll go and check my camera.

*edit, you know I think it's just choosing a lower shutter than I would normally use (usually have it highish for moving subjects) and slower shutter noise it kidding me on that everything is slower. Very odd, more attempts required.

Last edited:
I have an Xbox and the kids have playstations every year I buy fifa play a few games get spanked by some 12 year old, and turn it off again until the following year.

I still have an xbox 360 :ROFLMAO:

I used to game a lot but haven't played any consoles games really since GTAV came out - played that to death and got bored of it. Before that it was Skyrim - got so addicted to crafting within that game my character could one shot Elder dragons! Now I don't play much apart from the odd TCG onine

Sold my 360 after I bought Jon's xbone.
I still play mostly 360 games lol.

Kids still play it here now and then, they went from playing Guitar Hero to Tomb Raider to sneaking on to my GTAV very fast! Even they got bored with console gaming in general though, they're all about their phones and ipads nowadays

Like WW I've never owned a games console, although computers used to be more my hobby than job (was briefly systems admin for a small company, as well as scientist). I do remember the 'happy' days of feeding punched tape through readers to run a program during the brief period online to the Croydon Council computer in Tab house, and also the rooms full of computer at the Philips building in West Croydon with winchester discs the size of a large cake tin.

Probably the last game I bought for me was Mech Warrior 4.

PS4 for me and just tend to play Star Wars Battlefront 2. All my other games are just collecting dust :oops: :$

Probably the last game I bought for me was Mech Warrior 4.

I've never bought a game.

Back when I worked for a computer manufacturer we programmed one of them to play a game in which it picked a random number and we had to guess what it was and it told us higher or lower until we got it. You get the idea. The problem was that it always generated the same random number :D That thing was the SOTA back then :D

I must be the sad one here then:cool:
I've had every xbox pre ordered as soon as there announced and put in a good few hours online each night and have done for the past 15 plus years, at 34 I'm older than most the guys I game with but hold my own and theres still quite a few that have years on me.
Ive made quite a few good friends (fake friends as the wife calls them) online over the years.

And my cinema room isn't nearly in the same league as his. But I bet I'd kick his arse at Fifa.

You sure would, my Nintendo Switch and Oculus Go are barely used these days.... will probably have to sell them off.

Anything I don’t use/need, I’m going to get rid.
Just can’t seem to part with my camera gear though lol. :)

The movie room has kept my wallet and me busy. :)

You sure would, my Nintendo Switch and Oculus Go are barely used these days.... will probably have to sell them off.

Anything I don’t use/need, I’m going to get rid.
Just can’t seem to part with my camera gear though lol. :)

The movie room has kept my wallet and me busy. :)

But I like your prioritization movie room first and then kitchen, utility and bathrooms :D

I've had every xbox pre ordered as soon as there announced and put in a good few hours online each night and have done for the past 15 plus years, at 34 I'm older than most the guys I game with but hold my own and theres still quite a few that have years on me.
Ive made quite a few good friends (fake friends as the wife calls them) online over the years.

I had a few good fake friends once upon a time. In some ways I knew more about my fake friends than my real friends. Because when you are online/remote they are generally more revealing about themselves.

Then we had a baby..........

That’s some commitment! I’m two games of FIFA on the Xbox then don’t touch it for a few days!

Back