The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

When's the 85mm due?

arrived earlier. First impressions are that its considerably lighter than i thought it would be. o its very well balanced on the camera and not feeling front heavy. its the quietest samyang ive used. I can just about hear it in CAF but a huge improvement over previous lenses and certainly make the GM lens seem really, really quite loud. Focusing speed seems fast. i haven't tested properly though, but first impressions are positive.

arrived earlier. First impressions are that its considerably lighter than i thought it would be. o its very well balanced on the camera and not feeling front heavy. its the quietest samyang ive used. I can just about hear it in CAF but a huge improvement over previous lenses and certainly make the GM lens seem really, really quite loud. Focusing speed seems fast. i haven't tested properly though, but first impressions are positive.
@T_J_G @Livin The Dream - are you taking note ;)

What version of the FW did it come with, or did you have to update to v3?

Quite a lot of people saying this lens regularly locks up and won’t focus you noticed that yet? It’s supposed to happen more often with the A7 & A7II.

Quite a lot of people saying this lens regularly locks up and won’t focus you noticed that yet?

genuinely not been able to test it thoroughly enough to comment. it was literally delivered at 8am this morning. weather is looking good so i might be able to take it out his evening so will of course report back on performance

@-markie- its showing as version "0.3"

Being Samyang I also doubt it will focus properly lol

And yet again I argue that as the 35mm 2.8 was quick and accurate!

Damn though, that price!!

Last edited:
doesn't appear to be any surprises with this. but perhaps they have addressed the audible focus system from earlier lenses.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS9uZHvp4cU

He's stopped saying 'howdy folks'!

Looks like my kind of lens, pity it didn't have better magnification to match the close focusing - x0.25 would have been nice even, but it's a bit pants at x0.12. it also need to be <£300 or I would just suffer the AF of the 50 1.8 and put the rest toward a 24 or 28mm. Doesn't look very good for APSC, and only above average for FF wide open

Last edited:
That's what I am trying to find out, seems to me that non of TPers are registered with Sony Pro Support.

im pretty sure the gear needs to be purchased in the UK to qualify

*edit - taken from page one of sony pro support website Any products imported from outside the EEA/Switzerland are excluded. Please visit https://www.sony.co.uk/locale-selector and confirm location of authorized Sony dealer by “Find a Store” function.

Last edited:
That's what I am trying to find out, seems to me that non of TPers are registered with Sony Pro Support.

I am registered for Pro support, I think someone else mentioned way back in this thread that they where too, although it's apparently crap anyway by all accounts. I haven't had the need to use it yet. No, you can't qualify with grey import items.

Last edited:
Thanks, with Canon sometimes you can get away with grey imports. But hey ho...
I've got grey linked to my Nikon pro account too, although with Nikon there's two pro accounts. The 'real' pro one where people are actually making a living from photography, and then the 'fake' pro one for folk like me that just happen to have certain products that fulfil a criteria ;)

I've got grey linked to my Nikon pro account too, although with Nikon there's two pro accounts. The 'real' pro one where people are actually making a living from photography, and then the 'fake' pro one for folk like me that just happen to have certain products that fulfil a criteria ;)

I have both of those as well, N.P.U & N.P.S along with the the Sony pro support.

I don't think Nikon ever queries where stock was from although have been a member for many years so not sure. Sony absolutely do though.

doesn't appear to be any surprises with this. but perhaps they have addressed the audible focus system from earlier lenses
That looks ok. I wasn't expecting gm performance so ok is ok. I think I'd prefer a 35mm f1.8 so I'll probably wait another year but for anyone who really wants a 45mm f1.8 I expect this will do quite nicely, if the price is ok.

I didn't know Nikon have that level of membership, with Canon it's only one... CPS however they classified your membership via point system now, which qualifies you on Silver, Gold or Platinum member. I am on the Platinum membership :D

Slick! I'm not really big into cars but I like these, second one is very Top Gear pity you couldn't find the owner of the white car to shift it

It was a difficult task to just work around people, had about a second to compose the shot and take it (no second chances) between people viewing the vehicles... Moving cars wasn't going to happen.

Last edited:
It was a difficult task to just work around people, had about a second to compose the shot and take it (no second chances) between people viewing the vehicles... Moving cars wasn't going to happen.

Of course, I guess you'd have to get there really early, or wait until everyone had left to get more time with the super cars

Of course, I guess you'd have to get there really early, or wait until everyone had left to get more time with the super cars

It was very busy overall (the classics got the most attention), I think the rain and skies add to the shots. The cars are parked in rows and in front of each other so getting cars without other cars in the frame was pretty much impossible. I might comp a few out but it takes time. Was a great day out.

Last edited:
Back