The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

BTW, anyone seen their Adobe sub gone up to £20?

Not mine. Got my renewal email 4 days ago...

Your renewal details
Membership details: Creative Cloud Photography plan (one-year)
Renewal rate: GBP8.32 plus Tax/VAT

And that's great for you, but I choose not to upgrade as i'm aware of instances were the FW has been pulled. However if they had the decency to detail the upgrade and gave the option to reset the camera to the 1st edition firmware, I might think about it.

I bought another new a7III a few weeks ago and surprisingly it came with 3.0 straight out of the box. That's seriously speedy going, I guess stock turnover of a7IIIs is still very high.

His right though

Did you mean "he is right though"?

Because he isn't and often isn't.

Let's be honest here, he is a know it all that knows very little. Then throws a hissy fit like a 12 year old school girl when anyone pulls him up on it.

Last edited:
Did you mean "he is right though"?

Because he isn't and often isn't.

Let's be honest here, he is a know it all that knows very little. Then throws a hissy fit like a 12 year old school girl when anyone pulls him up on it.

When did these moments happen? You contradict yourself, have a fit and call people names and judge someone for a typo because you're unhappy with their response to your post.

Last edited:
When did these moments happen? You contradict yourself, have a fit and call people names and judge someone for a typo because you're unhappy with their response to your post.

I am just gonna put you on ignore now.

Don't know why I even wasted my time getting into anything with someone on the internet, least of all someone like you.

I am just gonna put you on ignore now.

Don't know why I even wasted my time getting into anything with someone on the internet, least of all someone like you.

Don't play the victim. You kicked off again this morning when I was happy to leave things as they were. Let's move on. (y)

Last edited:
I had a GF who liked to provoke an argument and when I refused to fight and just defused it she'd only get angrier. You know... I've never wondered where she is now or what she's doing :D

Really interested in the idea of it, but the price is on the high side for me. That said I am in Japan in September for the Rugby World Cup...

When I had Canon DSLR's I had a Sigma 20mm f1.8 that I really liked and I would like to replace it. I have a couple of manual focus film era lenses, 17 and 19mm, but I'm sure this Voigtander will be better. I would prefer AF though.

It'll be interesting to see the reviews.

I enjoy this thread and the contributions and chat we have with regard to these Sony cams. I follow it and tend to lurk but feel I had to post to put forward my thoughts...

I do feel it could be less cliquey and better quality if the following things changed:

- Repetitive bashing of Samyang lenses.

- Over the top statements as to the weaknesses of some equipment, when in reality some of the flaws are subtle and/or minor.

- References to council houses as a metaphor for what are deemed to be lenses and/or equipment at the lower end of the market or that cost little or are much less money than equivalent Sony pro lenses. It's not that I take offense to it (but some could) it's just not funny and really cringey to read.

- General aggressive statements with an emphasis on "I am right" rather than "my opinion".

- More helpful posts.

- More images would also be nice although I appreciate this is controversial being equipment based. Other equipment based threads have more images is all.

I certainly see most of the above tends to be being done by only a few people.

Last edited:
When I had Canon DSLR's I had a Sigma 20mm f1.8 that I really liked and I would like to replace it. I have a couple of manual focus film era lenses, 17 and 19mm, but I'm sure this Voigtander will be better. I would prefer AF though.

It'll be interesting to see the reviews.

Yeah, I regularly shoot with a Canon 28mm FD 2.8. Love the manual focus but would not be against going wider and no doubt as you say the Voigtander will be a better piece of glass.

Thanks for a thoughtful post clicktor.

I think sometimes things do get a bit... much... but looking at other forums this place is generally much more civilised and respectful and despite the odd blow up peeps usually do get along quite nicely here :D Which is nice :D

I don't know about cliquey, maybe not wanting to be a member of any clique that would have me is the right idea? :D IMVHO new peeps should always feel very welcome :D

Council house refs... I think it's actually a badge of honour now and actually as a user of cheap lenses I quite like the tag now :D YMMV and all that :D but I can see how some could find it offensive.

I agree about pictures. I tend to post equipment related pictures and pictures taken when I'm doing something different but I do like to see pictures :D So Yes, you have a point there :D

There are two or three people in this thread that are very off putting with no manners and a 'their opinion is all that matters' attitude. Some that try to make out they're some kind of photography gods too. But there are also decent friendly people in here and I've learnt to scroll on by the annoying people*.

*most of the time

I like Samyang stuff, the 35mm 2.8 is a little pocket master! I really should get another one as a wander about lens TBH!

@addicknchips - shame to hear about your 85mm.. i had high hopes for it :(

Thought about fine tuning the AF? - not that you should have to.

This is the thing, it would probably solve the issue and the option is there with the Dock.

However, I've not had to do this on any other lens for Sony and it just doesn't leave me with a very comfortable feeling about the lens. Already in the back of my mind I'm questioning build quality and durability. First impressions mean count for a lot to me and I just think this issue is going to have me worrying about it. Sony's eye af box doesn't keep up in real time so I'm going to be constantly chimping if I don't trust the lens.

At £550 after cash back I still think its a great option at a relatively reasonable price. If truth be told I've probably just been spoilt be some top end lenses. I think it's great that samyang are here with these lens options. E mount Lens options are really broadening and if Tamron or sigma release a 70-200 f2. 8 I'll be dancing in the street.

This is the thing, it would probably solve the issue and the option is there with the Dock.

However, I've not had to do this on any other lens for Sony and it just doesn't leave me with a very comfortable feeling about the lens. Already in the back of my mind I'm questioning build quality and durability. First impressions mean count for a lot to me and I just think this issue is going to have me worrying about it. Sony's eye af box doesn't keep up in real time so I'm going to be constantly chimping if I don't trust the lens.

At £550 after cash back I still think its a great option at a relatively reasonable price. If truth be told I've probably just been spoilt be some top end lenses. I think it's great that samyang are here with these lens options. E mount Lens options are really broadening and if Tamron or sigma release a 70-200 f2. 8 I'll be dancing in the street.
Mind sharing any pics taken with it? No worries if not :)

I like Samyang stuff, the 35mm 2.8 is a little pocket master! I really should get another one as a wander about lens TBH!

I agree with this. I think the little samyang 35 is a great lens. I am also aware that there are more expensive lenses at the same FL, but I am happy with my choice.

I enjoy this thread and the contributions and chat we have with regard to these Sony cams. I follow it and tend to lurk but feel I had to post to put forward my thoughts...

I do feel it could be less cliquey and better quality if the following things changed:

- Over the top statements as to the weaknesses of some equipment, when in reality some of the flaws are subtle and/or minor.

- References to council houses as a metaphor for what are deemed to be lenses and/or equipment at the lower end of the market or that cost little or are much less money than equivalent Sony pro lenses. It's not that I take offense to it (but some could) it's just not funny and really cringey to read.

- General aggressive statements with an emphasis on "I am right" rather than "my opinion".

- More helpful posts.

- More images would also be nice although I appreciate this is controversial being equipment based. Other equipment based threads have more images is all.

I agree.

It’s now your turn to post a picture :D

I agree.

It’s now your turn to post a picture :D

One thing I'd like is if everyone posted the last picture they took... and no cheating! I do realise that could lead to some not safe for work pictures and maybe some pictures we'd wish we could unsee… But it might be fun! :D

One thing I'd like is if everyone posted the last picture they took... and no cheating! I do realise that could lead to some not safe for work pictures and maybe some pictures we'd wish we could unsee… But it might be fun! :D
Here you go, although it wasn't taken with a Sony ;) :p

NZ7_0226
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Sony A7 and film era Sigma 50mm f2.8.

The power walker. I hurt my foot when up in the hills the other day so I just took flower shots while she marched.

HSJZ9r7.jpg

I like this lens for close up stuff and I'm happy with the image quality but for anything in the middle to distance things get difficult as longer lengths are covered by a relatively small movement of the focus ring which makes focusing at longer distances a bit of a pain. A while ago people on this forum recommended the Nikon 60mm f2.8 macro which goes for £200 or so on evil bay. Has anyone tried that lens? I'm just wondering if the middle to distance is covered by a little more focus ring movement than with my Sigma.

Last edited:

- More helpful posts.

A lot of those things are just banter though.

Back