The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

So far so good! If I'm honest I don't use much of the fancy functionality which is hidden in the menus - just the basic stuff on the quick menu does me so that side of it is fine. The body + 16-35 f4 is definitely a wee bit bigger and heavier than the X-T2 + 10-24 but then the IQ is definitely a step up also. Funnily enough I tried an A7iii in a shop and hated the shutter noise but I haven't been noticing it on the A7Rii - might just be me. All in all I am happy so far :)

The mk3s have a clunk and the mk1/2s make a weird squeak clunk.

Last edited:
Went out to find some flies and didn't find much :(
47930031582_5e0faba5d7_b.jpg

Was trying out the close focus distance of 85GM and it kinda sucks as expected
47930037833_d01eae63be_b.jpg

Does anybody have any suggestions for a protective case, half or full, for the a7iii? It seems some of the paint has scuffed off mine. I think it’s where it has constantly rubbed on me as I carry it using the Peak Design wrist strap.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a protective case, half or full, for the a7iii? It seems some of the paint has scuffed off mine. I think it’s where it has constantly rubbed on me as I carry it using the Peak Design wrist strap.

I had a concern of the same having seen quite a few chipped paintwork but haven’t bothered. There’s plenty of rubber cases on amazon and eBay but the smarter ones are half leather cases that cover the bottom. Guess depends how much protection you want and whether you’re bothered with the look of it.

Now here's an interesting thing: it may be an artifact caused by better use of flickr, but of my 10 most viewed images, 5 have been taken with the A7III, and 2 of those with the Samyang 50 f1.4 that I only had for the first couple of weeks.

Now here's an interesting thing: it may be an artifact caused by better use of flickr, but of my 10 most viewed images, 5 have been taken with the A7III, and 2 of those with the Samyang 50 f1.4 that I only had for the first couple of weeks.

I wouldn't read too much into that, my top 10 is a mix of M43, APSC and FF, my highest rated image was shot with a G80, it made explore and it's just a close up of a spider.

I have half cases on all of my A7III bodies.

I ordered a genuine leather Gariz case and some cheap fake one's from ebay. I was happy enough with the eBay one's so returned the Gariz.

This is the eBay one's here. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223214300641

888E3904-4D84-4EEC-8C0D-CAC60408C822.jpeg

Last edited:
From what I’ve seen though, it’s the top that gets chipped too. I’ve see a few A72’s with chipped paint around the central hotshoe piece where the Sony badge is.

Think I’ll order one of those - cheers!

Did you get the Hadley large pro in the end? Be good to know what you can squeeze into one.

Yep, I got one. I found it too small for my needs so sold it again the day after it arrived. Then annoyingly I had to buy another one for my missus who really liked it.

I have also recently just got the small as well for my A6400.

From what I’ve seen though, it’s the top that gets chipped too. I’ve see a few A72’s with chipped paint around the central hotshoe piece where the Sony badge is.

Maybe they should’ve done two coats of paint! I’ve only just noticed mine has rubbed off. No idea how long the paint has been ‘missing’!!

Maybe they should’ve done two coats of paint! I’ve only just noticed mine has rubbed off. No idea how long the paint has been ‘missing’!!

I wouldn't worry about it too much, if you are going to use it you are going to get the odd mark here and there. Won't stop it taking great photos. :)

Last edited:
Yeah exactly.

When I had my Nikon's I never noticed any issues like that although the grips where always an issue. They even are now on the Z6 & Z7.

My mate's Canon stuff always looked like it had been trailed through a hedge backwords, her 5D's it seemed you only had to breath near them to get rub marks.

Fuji stuff gathers marks and scratches very easily too.

When I had my Nikon's I never noticed any issues like that although the grips where always an issue. They even are now on the Z6 & Z7.

My mate's Canon stuff always looked like it had been trailed through a hedge backwords, her 5D's it seemed you only had to breath near them to get rub marks.

Fuji stuff gathers marks and scratches very easily too.

It's interesting that the A7 *feels* more like a professionally built camera compared to the D610 I had, and although that never had anything worse than some of the paint wear off from putting into & removing from the camera bag it felt no better built than my entry level A58.

Now I'm tempted by a half case, just to see if that fixes the handling issue that I'm currently using the smallrig plate for.

It's interesting that the A7 *feels* more like a professionally built camera compared to the D610 I had, and although that never had anything worse than some of the paint wear off from putting into & removing from the camera bag it felt no better built than my entry level A58.

Now I'm tempted by a half case, just to see if that fixes the handling issue that I'm currently using the smallrig plate for.

It does a little bit to the bottom maybe about 5/6mm or so.

I have all 3 colours, personally I liked the tan/brown best.

Welcome to the first battalion of the half case brigade. :LOL:

As I have an A7 I can't buy the same one as you guys so I'll look for an A7 friendly one.

Back