The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

@nandbytes

I was at Legoland and Wednesday but thankfully made the decision to come over to Wales that evening (epic drive!) rather than make the journey during Thursday, as the boats aren't running today and very unlikely to run tomorrow, so it would have been a wasted 3 day trip.

Incredible day, the weather was gorgeous. I queued at 6:40am (about 30th in the queue at that point) got on the 10am boat and headed straight to The Wick, most people were old-ish and took their time walking around, so I didn't see anyone for the best part of an hour there.

An overwhelming amount to try and photograph, once I had a few keepers in the bag I found myself just observing much of the time as the puffins were so much fun to watch.

Skomer by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

In the evening I popped up to Solva and did an hour long walk between 8pm and 9pm, didn't see a single person, it was stunning.

Solva by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Last edited:
Still waiting for that 35mm f1.8

I'm pretty sure that the rumor site reported that one was on the roadmap but who knows when of if Sony will get around to it. It's the one thing that could get me to ditch Sony and buy a Canikon but I know that if I did that Sony would announce one the next day.

If they do release one it'll have to be both reasonably priced and reasonably compact for me to bother with it as I've had the f2.8 for so long now that I almost can't be bothered now as a f1.8 will almost certainly be bigger and the f2.8 makes for such a lovely compact camera and lens.

@nandbytes

I was at Legoland and Wednesday but thankfully made the decision to come over to Wales that evening (epic drive!) rather than make the journey during Thursday, as the boats aren't running today and very unlikely to run tomorrow, so it would have been a wasted 3 day trip.

Incredible day, the weather was gorgeous. I queued at 6:40am (about 30th in the queue at that point) got on the 10am boat and headed straight to The Wick, most people were old-ish and took their time walking around, so I didn't see anyone for the best part of an hour there.

An overwhelming amount to try and photograph, once I had a few keepers in the bag I found myself just observing much of the time as the puffins were so much fun to watch.

Skomer by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

In the evening I popped up to Solva and did an hour long walk between 8pm and 9pm, didn't see a single person, it was stunning.

More nice shots :)

I drove from London and back to it! It's bit of a trek but doable without much issues. I drove the previous day and stayed over at St.David's YHA. Queued from 6.30am next day and I was about 10-15th in line!
Yeah there are quite a number of them and thriving it seems which I am very happy about. They are in decline elsewhere in the UK. They are rather funny that watch, and funniest when they get into fights lol.

Ideally it'd be nice to have someone else with you and even better if they can share the driving. I couldn't find anyone :( so decided to go on my own in the end and I am very glad I did

Last edited:
More nice shots :)

I drove from London and back to it! It's bit of a trek but doable without much issues. I drove the previous day and stayed over at St.David's YHA. Queued from 6.30am next day and I was about 10-15th in line!
Yeah there are quite a number of them and thriving it seems which I am very happy about. They are in decline elsewhere in the UK. They are rather funny that watch, and funniest when they get into fights lol.

Ideally it'd be nice to have someone else with you and even better if they can share the driving. I couldn't find anyone :( so decided to go on my own in the end and I am very glad I did

Where are they are is the season "over'?

Where are they are is the season "over'?

They are on an island just off the end of south west of Wales. Its called Skomer Island.
I believe the season ends in July, it runs for 4 months from from April to July. May and June being the peak season.

They are on an island just off the end of south west of Wales. Its called Skomer Island.
I believe the season ends in July, it runs for 4 months from from April to July. May and June being the peak season.

I guess you need at least a 200mm for them as you can't get up close? and how do you get across that last bit over the water?

Last edited:
I guess you need at least a 200mm for them as you can't get up close? and how do you get across that last bit over the water?

For bird portrait shots of them I took a couple with my mobile phone lol. They are not scared of humans there in general and they'll happily just walk across you. So almost any lens will for this. To get shots of them in flight you'll need at least 400mm, better if you have >600mm.

There are 3 boats (at 10-11-12) each day that takes 50 people each. You need to queue up on the day (early in the morning since they sell out quickly) to get tickets for the boats. No prior/online bookings etc.

Alternatively it is also possible to stay on the island for couple nights but those tickets sell out in October previous year (which I am planning to book this year for next year but it being in Wales weather is bit of a risk). So for this year queueing up is the only option.

you get "5 hours" on the island before you HAVE to return (or about 4 hours of real/actual time since an hour is wasted in travels, talks etc)

Last edited:
For bird portrait shots of them I took a couple with my mobile phone lol. They are not scared of humans there in general and they'll happily just walk across you. So almost any lens will for this. To get shots of them in flight you'll need at least 400mm, better if you have >600mm.

There are 3 boats (at 10-11-12) each day that takes 50 people each. You need to queue up on the day (early in the morning since they sell out quickly) to get tickets for the boats. No prior/online bookings etc.

Alternatively it is also possible to stay on the island for couple nights but those tickets sell out in October previous year (which I am planning to book this year for next year but it being in Wales weather is bit of a risk). So for this year queueing up is the only option.

you get "5 hours" on the island before you HAVE to return (or about 4 hours of real/actual time since an hour is wasted in travels, talks etc)

So you need to get there say at 9am and then hope for the first boat and if its full you get a seat on the 2nd and then you leave before 3?

That means no sunrise or sunset shots unless you stay over.

Why is this? they have no later returns? Unfortunate they don't at least run a couple to return people after the sunset. The Puffins with a golden sun going down in the back drop could make for some glorious images

So you need to get there say at 9am and then hope for the first boat and if its full you get a seat on the 2nd and then you leave before 3?

That means no sunrise or sunset shots unless you stay over.

I got there at 6.30am. I was 10-15th in queue. You'll almost certainly not get a ticket if you arrive at 9am. But yes first come first served, but you can by all means pick 1st, 2nd or 3rd boat if there are spaces free. So for example since I was early i could have chosen to go on any of the boats, I just went on the first one since I had a long drive back to London.

Indeed no sunrie or sunset in the island unless you stay. In fact if you have good weather you can even get some beautiful night sky shots too if you stay. Of course you can always catch sunrise and sunset on the Pembroke coast which is also very nice. i'll post a couple shots of these later.

Why is this? they have no later returns? Unfortunate they don't at least run a couple to return people after the sunset. The Puffins with a golden sun going down in the back drop could make for some glorious images

basically if you go on 10am boat you HAVE to return on 3pm boat. If you get on the last boat at 12pm/noon you HAVE to return at 5pm. There are no boats after that. They'll get really cross with you if you overstay your welcome.

Indeed it would make for some lovely and beautiful shots. You could get some epic landscapes too. But only way you can do this is if you stay on the island. The accommodation on the island isn't actually all that expensive for the experience you get but you HAVE to stay 2 night.

their website - https://www.welshwildlife.org/skomer-skokholm/skomer/

Last edited:
I got there at 6.30am. I was 10-15th in queue. You'll almost certainly not get a ticket if you arrive at 9am. But yes first come first served, but you can by all means pick 1st, 2nd or 3rd boat if there are spaces free. So for example since I was early i could have chosen to go on any of the boats, I just went on the first one since I had a long drive back to London.

Indeed no sunrie or sunset in the island unless you stay. In fact if you have good weather you can even get some beautiful night sky shots too if you stay. Of course you can always catch sunrise and sunset on the Pembroke coast which is also very nice. i'll post a couple shots of these later.

basically if you go on 10am boat you HAVE to return on 3pm boat. If you get on the last boat at 12pm/noon you HAVE to return at 5pm. There are no boats after that. They'll get really cross with you if you overstay your welcome.

Indeed it would make for some lovely and beautiful shots. You could get some epic landscapes too. But only way you can do this is if you stay on the island. The accommodation on the island isn't actually all that expensive for the experience you get but you HAVE to stay 2 night.

Any camping allowed? For less crippley folk than I that could be a good option

Any camping allowed? For less crippley folk than I that could be a good option

nope no camping. Only way to stay on the island is if you book the overnight accommodation.
They have a path marked out on the island, so when you are on the island you can't simply go wandering where ever you like. You have to stay on the paths.
Its are very protective for the birds and for a good reason. If you lets people wander, people being people will trample all over the birds' nests and destroy the wildlife there. They nest in burrows like rabbits.

their website - https://www.welshwildlife.org/skomer-skokholm/skomer/

Sounds like a fun day out.

Leave house at 3am, get there by 6, leave by 3, back home by 7.

The best thing to do is get there for 6.30am. you'll have your ticket by 8.45-9am. have your breakfast in the car and then catch the boat at 10am.
There is no shops Or café on the island. So take your own food/drink/lunch.
Personally I didn't bother since I wanted to make most of the limited time available on the island.
I stuffed myself before getting on the boat and had late lunch after I got back.

Also remember to take cash. No card payments on the boat.

nope no camping. Only way to stay on the island is if you book the overnight accommodation.
They have a path marked out on the island, so when you are on the island you can't simply go wandering where ever you like. You have to stay on the paths.
Its are very protective for the birds and for a good reason. If you lets people wander, people being people will trample all over the birds' nests and destroy the wildlife there. They nest in burrows like rabbits.

That makes sense, nothing ruins a beautiful landscape more than people!

70-200mm was fine for me on Skomer, could have happily shot wider than that for a lot of stuff. Tracking birds that fast with a 400-500mm lens would have been insanely hard, I got some good stuff in flight at 200mm, only time I wanted longer was back at the landing whilst waiting for the boat, could have got some good stuff in flight with 300mm +.

My new (to me) A7 arrived from Camera Jungle an hour ago, fair play for quick delivery. The body looks as described although they've included the original external USB charger block and, incorrectly, a mini USB cable rather than micro. Not the end of the world though as I've got a load of micro USB cables knocking about and will be picking up an external charger once I've checked the camera works ok.

I guess you need at least a 200mm for them as you can't get up close?
There are no problems getting close to Puffins on Skomer. They will literally stand you if you’re not careful! To be honest lens minimum focus distance can be a problem.

The reason is there are 3 boats out (they often add 2 extra boats in peak periods to make 5 boats) and the same number back. Every boat going out is full to capacity and therefore need to be full on the way back too. They can’t leave without the boat being full otherwise there won’t be enough space on the last boat back. In the evenings the boat operator often run evening trips around the island. it’s probably difficult and potentially unsafe to land on Skomer after dark (they drive the boat into a tyre attached to the cliff and you get off at the front whilst is being held against the cliff). If you want to get sunset light you need to stay over. Sadly the Wick doesn’t face the setting sun. You may be able to get the setting sun from Garland Stone or Bull Hole but there aren’t many Puffins accessible in those areas.

To do Skomer as a photographer right you have stay over. Only around 48 people per week get to experience that so places book up fast when booking opens in October especially for peak Puffin season (late May-mid July). Stays used to be a minimum of 2 nights (Tues & Weds, thurs & Fri, Sunday & Monday) with Saturday being being able to be added to a Friday or Sunday booking to make a 3 night stay.

1/ you get the best light at sunrise and sunset (the light disappears behind a cliff about 30 mins before sunset. If you stand around for 30-40 mins the sky can sometimes explode into a pink and blue band).
2/ huge numbers of Puffins congregate on the cliffs at sunset, many more than during the day
3/ there are only 16 people on the island compared to an extra 250 day trippers during the day.
4/ the Wick is far too busy during the day. If you’re staying there are often only 3-4 of you there at sunset depending on the number of photographers staying.
5/you get to experience 500,000-600,000 Manx Shearwaters coming back at night. The noise is epic as they pass within inches of you. It’s probably a better experience than the Puffins.

For kit a wide angle and 70-200 is the best kit at the Wick. A longer lens is useful to get boating Puffins at the landing stage just after the last day tripper boat leaves (better light than in the morning). You can get to the water level for a great angle.

There are no problems getting close to Puffins on Skomer. They will literally stand you if you’re not careful! To be honest lens minimum focus distance can be a problem.

The reason is there are 3 boats out (they often add 2 extra boats in peak periods to make 5 boats) and the same number back. Every boat going out is full to capacity and therefore need to be full on the way back too. They can’t leave without the boat being full otherwise there won’t be enough space on the last boat back. In the evenings the boat operator often run evening trips around the island. it’s probably difficult and potentially unsafe to land on Skomer after dark (they drive the boat into a tyre attached to the cliff and you get off at the front whilst is being held against the cliff). If you want to get sunset light you need to stay over. Sadly the Wick doesn’t face the setting sun. You may be able to get the setting sun from Garland Stone or Bull Hole but there aren’t many Puffins accessible in those areas.

To do Skomer as a photographer right you have stay over. Only around 48 people per week get to experience that so places book up fast when booking opens in October especially for peak Puffin season (late May-mid July). Stays used to be a minimum of 2 nights (Tues & Weds, thurs & Fri, Sunday & Monday) with Saturday being being able to be added to a Friday or Sunday booking to make a 3 night stay.

1/ you get the best light at sunrise and sunset (the light disappears behind a cliff about 30 mins before sunset. If you stand around for 30-40 mins the sky can sometimes explode into a pink and blue band).
2/ huge numbers of Puffins congregate on the cliffs at sunset, many more than during the day
3/ there are only 16 people on the island compared to an extra 250 day trippers during the day.
4/ the Wick is far too busy during the day. If you’re staying there are often only 3-4 of you there at sunset depending on the number of photographers staying.
5/you get to experience 500,000-600,000 Manx Shearwaters coming back at night. The noise is epic as they pass within inches of you. It’s probably a better experience than the Puffins.

For kit a wide angle and 70-200 is the best kit at the Wick. A longer lens is useful to get boating Puffins at the landing stage just after the last day tripper boat leaves (better light than in the morning). You can get to the water level for a great angle.

That’s great to know, thank you.

It sounds like something interesting to do, but if landscaping and “easy” wild life with a little holiday thrown in!

Wish I had found you before I went lol.
Great advice here. Are you local and have you been many times?

Wish I had found you before I went lol.
Great advice here. Are you local and have you been many times?
I’m unfortunately not local as I’m in Bedfordshire so 2 nights on Skomer meant 3 days as we would stay the night before at the travelodge at Pembroke Dock. I went for a day trip back in 2013 and returned to stay each year between 2013-2015.

Staying is a gamble on the weather and boats running as you have book in October and take whatever is available at all the time of booking. Between myself and friends we stayed four years running so we pretty much perfected the trip quite by the year of the four years.

It’s a shame the wildlife trust can’t make better use of Skomer. Sadly they don’t have enough funds to run it proper and make more money from it. One of the reasons we stopped going was because of the number of photography workshops being ran. They seemed to take over when our trips coincided with one.

That’s great to know, thank you.

It sounds like something interesting to do, but if landscaping and “easy” wild life with a little holiday thrown in!

Definitely, there is more than Puffins there. Little owls can be quite good too if they are showing well. The landscape around the island is great. Rugged high cliffs in places with seals and sometimes dolphins seen. Manx Shearwaters are weird birds, their legs are too far back and they have trouble walking hence they come back in under darkness. Staying on Skomer should be a nature experience on everyone’s bucket list.

I think I lucked out big time, 10am crossing plus lots of, er, older folks meant I was completely alone for about an hour, even at The Wick. I've only had a few truly emotional breathtaking moments that I'll never forget when travelling (first time arriving in NYC and Hong Kong, staying in Monument Valley) but this was genuinely one of them, I felt like I was the last person on earth for a while. It never really got too busy despite being at capacity towards the end of my day. The majority of people only had phones so nobody was hogging positions with big lenses or anything.

Loads of photos here:[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/harry_s/albums/72157708976442721[/url]

South Wales 2019 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Last edited:
Still looking to get a school a daily driver for mixed use. They don't want it too heavy, so I was thinking I'd go APS-C.

But are there no fast APS-C emount zooms?

Looking at Fuji XT-3 we have...
Fujifilm 16-55mm f2.8 R LM WR Fujinon Lens
Fujifilm 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 R LM OIS XF Fujinon Lens (or Fujinon XF Telephoto 50-140mm f/2.8 even)

But what about the ... A6400

Last edited:
Still looking to get a school a daily driver for mixed use. They don't want it too heavy, so I was thinking I'd go APS-C.

Fujifilm 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 R LM OIS XF Fujinon Lens (or Fujinon XF Telephoto 50-140mm f/2.8 even)

Nope and zooms that do exist for APS-C e-mount sucks

I think I lucked out big time, 10am crossing plus lots of, er, older folks meant I was completely alone for about an hour, even at The Wick. I've only had a few truly emotional breathtaking moments that I'll never forget when travelling (first time arriving in NYC and Hong Kong, staying in Monument Valley) but this was genuinely one of them, I felt like I was the last person on earth for a while. It never really got too busy despite being at capacity towards the end of my day. The majority of people only had phones so nobody was hogging positions with big lenses or anything.

Loads of photos here:[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/harry_s/albums/72157708976442721[/url]

Those some excellent shots, especially ones in flight on your flickr. You have certainly done better than I have.

The 50-140 would certainly be better for indoor school events, though the 55-200 is a very good lens.

Just bought an A6000, samyang 12/2, sigma 30/1.4 and Nikon AIS 55 macro to start taking images again after a lengthy break from photography.

Any tips to getting the best out the A6000 for landscape, portraits and family/holiday use? I was thinking of picking up the 16-50 kit lens for casual use.

Just bought an A6000, samyang 12/2, sigma 30/1.4 and Nikon AIS 55 macro to start taking images again after a lengthy break from photography.

Any tips to getting the best out the A6000 for landscape, portraits and family/holiday use? I was thinking of picking up the 16-50 kit lens for casual use.

A couple of extra 3rd party batteries, from personal experience it will not last a day out. I found the 16-50 truly pocketable and half decent for landscapes at the wide end as long as expectations are not too high, still on a little tripod at f/8-f/11 it's perfectly usable.

The Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is lovely, as are all the Sigma primes f/1.4 & f/2.8 range. (I really enjoyed the 30 1.4 and the 60 2.8), I used my A6000 mainly with vintage manual focus lenses and the focus peaking is very accurate on the A6000.

A little write up on the practicalities of Skomer if anyone is interested...

http://www.chrisharrisonphotography.com/new-blog/2019/6/7/skomer

Looks like you did well for a day trip. I don't miss those steps up off the boat. If you are staying it means carrying all the luggage up (bags of clothes, food and camera gear).

On one of my stays I was on the island on a Monday when its closed to day trippers. It was fantastic nearly having the island to ourselves. Sitting at the Wick at midday on my own was fantastic. Not a soul in sight :) It sounds like early June is one of the quieter times. I've usually gone at the end of June/early July when the Puffins are bringing in Sand Eels for their Puffling's (i love that baby Puffin's are called Puffling's). There are usually 5 boats coming over so it gets busy with 250 people on the island.

They had the full 250 there but I've no idea where most of them were! As I mentioned most were older folk and very, very few photographers, so I guess most were just walking the full island loop rather than at the usual puffin spots. I'm guessing Sunday will be crazy busy in the queue as today and tomorrow are not good. Luck of the draw and I got really lucky!

The boat dropped off some overnighters before we boarded, one guy managed to drop his big bag over the edge into the sea!

The boat dropped off some overnighters before we boarded, one guy managed to drop his big bag over the edge into the sea!

That's the only problem when coming off. You have loads of bags to take off and there is a huge queue of people trying to get on the boat. I saw one photographer's face drop when we were loading the luggage on when coming back and a lady held his canon 300mm f2.8 lens box over the side when passing bags along the chain. Not good considering on the way over someone dropped a pair of binoculars over the side. Prior to that I never knew binoculars float!

Last edited:
full

Time for a picture again, Little owl incoming. Very impressed with the focussing of the A7R3, 70-200 f2.8 with the 1.4 converter.

If you don't need 12mm so much, I would definitely look at the Sigma 16mm 1.4 in place of the 12mm F2. Supposedly one of Sigma's sharpest ever APSC lenses. It's also a stop brighter and has AF, at the expense of that 4mm - depends on your priorities I guess. I had the Samy 12mm F2 and it is a very good lens if you're good with MF, and it is a cinch when you go that wide ... but I think I might still prefer the 16 1.4

Last edited:
Back