The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I have found WEX quite good with trade in values. A while back I had some Nikon stuff that I needed shot off. I tried selling it locally with no joy, so I reduced the prices and still no joy. I considered putting it up for sale here, and did list one of the items here with no interest.

In the end I went to WEX and traded it in instead and they gave me more than I had been trying to sell for privately. They also give me a little bit of discount on the A7III and the other bits and bobs I was trading in against. In the end trading in actually saved me a couple of quid compared to selling privately and buying new grey import. There was also a huge difference between what WEX offered and what MPB offered.

All of the staff in my local WEX know me though as I am in the shop often, so not sure if that makes a difference. It was pretty hassle free as well. I walked into the shop had a quick chat with them and while they inspected the gear I nipped across the road and grabbed a quick coffee. When I got back everything was sorted and they had my new gear sitting waiting for me.

I like dealing with them, yes they are usually more expensive, but they always give me a little bit of discount when I ask. They always match other U.K retailer prices when asked and the staff are just really friendly. The odd time there has been any issues they have always resolved them straight away. Sometimes I will be willing to pay a little more just so I can deal with them and not have the hassles that can happen elsewhere. I also like the fact that the staff have a genuine interest in what I do, when I am in the shop they always ask how works is going.

Some of them follow me on Instagram and ask about how particular weddings went etc. Twice they have asked me to run workshops in the shop, once while I was in the store and another time their head office contacted me after the guys in-store had recommended me for what was a big event for them when they officially rebranded as W.E.X from Calumet. A while back I booked a wedding for a couple who contacted me after a member of staff in WEX had recommended me.

I can't fault them really.

I have found WEX quite good with trade in values. A while back I had some Nikon stuff that I needed shot off. I tried selling it locally with no joy, so I reduced the prices and still no joy. I considered putting it up for sale here, and did list one of the items here with no interest.

In the end I went to WEX and traded it in instead and they gave me more than I had been trying to sell for privately. They also give me a little bit of discount on the A7III and the other bits and bobs I was trading in against. In the end trading in actually saved me a couple of quid compared to selling privately and buying new grey import. There was also a huge difference between what WEX offered and what MPB offered.

All of the staff in my local WEX know me though as I am in the shop often, so not sure if that makes a difference. It was pretty hassle free as well. I walked into the shop had a quick chat with them and while they inspected the gear I nipped across the road and grabbed a quick coffee. When I got back everything was sorted and they had my new gear sitting waiting for me.

I like dealing with them, yes they are usually more expensive, but they always give me a little bit of discount when I ask. They always match other U.K retailer prices when asked and the staff are just really friendly. The odd time there has been any issues they have always resolved them straight away. Sometimes I will be willing to pay a little more just so I can deal with them and not have the hassles that can happen elsewhere. I also like the fact that the staff have a genuine interest in what I do, when I am in the shop they always ask how works is going.

Some of them follow me on Instagram and ask about how particular weddings went etc. Twice they have asked me to run workshops in the shop, once while I was in the store and another time their head office contacted me after the guys in-store had recommended me for what was a big event for them when they officially rebranded as W.E.X from Calumet. A while back I booked a wedding for a couple who contacted me after a member of staff in WEX had recommended me.

I can't fault them really.
Seems to be working out well for you. I believe Riz a similar kinda of setup with his local camera shop. I guess it helps to local and loyal to these shops and get to know them.
Being in London we have many shops here but no one really cares about anyone at least in my experience.

Wex has certainly been very good to me and really nice to deal with in general.

The only camera shop I frequent in London is Park Cameras. I had a really good experience when I bought my Leica Q from them, and as a result I placed my Leica Q2 pre-order with them as well. They don't know me as such, but probably recognise me and often we have a quick chat and they don't mind letting me see/play with kit even if I have no intention of buying, though sometimes it's hard to resist. I wouldn't do this anywhere else as I know some staff get the hump.

I mainly buy/sell online though I will occasionally trade stuff in if the price difference isn't too much. Just so much easier and quicker.

How do people keep their cameras and gear in such pristine condition. So far i have sent two items to Wex for trade and they have phoned me to say they need to revise the price for the worst, i look after my gear but it gets used and shows signs of use both times i said they were Light Use and both times they tried to tell me they were the lowest one because the lens had a scratch on the zoom ring where you could see silver and the camera body had smooth grips you know because you were holding it and wore the rubber stuff out a bit.
They offered me so little for both when i upgrade they will probably get stored away to collect dust.

How do people own a camera and lens for 4 years or so and still have it in as new condition?

I've had cameras for over 4yrs that still looked flawless when I sold them on, and they got plenty of use. I'm not the type to buy something for the sake of it, simply can't afford to be a 'gear-head' buying all the latest and greatest, I spend ages researching before even considering a camera or lens. In fact that's part of the fun of the hobby for me, the hunt for the ideal set up with a very limited budget. But I have never had a camera or lens get scratched up badly, damaged through use or indeed completely fail. Maybe it's just being cautious for the fact I can't afford to replace damaged gear just like that. And maybe I'm always aware of re-sale value? Just don't leave gear down on rough walls or in sand, don't be banging it off of things! :D Use a strap, only handle the camera when you need to [I say that, yet I rarely ever use straps, just free-carry mine about when not in the bag] You don't have to handle gear like you hate it! I've seen people with busted up gear claim 'this is how gear should look after years of use' - abuse more like :D And it's nonsense, like I say, had cameras for years and clocked up tonnes on them and the worst that's happened is rubber grips started to peel or there might be slight signs of wear on the bottom corners or around the tripod mount

How do people own a camera and lens for 4 years or so and still have it in as new condition?

I guess if you use one body, keep it in a decent partitioned camera bag when out and about so it doesn’t bash other lenses etc you could heavily use kit and keep it relatively pristine.

Shooting weddings I have two cameras hanging off me and even when careful they inevitably knock into one another. When out and about my camera is connected to my rucksack strap via the Peak Design Clip, so is not going to remain pristine but is available instantly.

I did see some interesting 3M skins (from the US) on my Instagram feed recently that have been made for the a7III, 55mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75mm RXD etc (so all my gear!) that were relatively affordable. I’m tempted to try one out. That said, the difference between perfect gear and slightly marked gear really isn't much at places like MPB.

Last edited:
I guess if you use one body, keep it in a decent partitioned camera bag when out and about so it doesn’t bash other lenses etc you could heavily use kit and keep it relatively pristine.

Shooting weddings I have two cameras hanging off me and even when careful they inevitably knock into one another. When out and about my camera is connected to my rucksack strap via the Peak Design Clip, so is not going to remain pristine but is available instantly.

I did see some interesting 3M skins (from the US) on my Instagram feed recently that have been made for the a7III, 55mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75mm RXD etc (so all my gear!) that were relatively affordable. I’m tempted to try one out. That said, the difference between perfect gear and slightly marked gear really isn't much at places like MPB.

Very little in the difference with these places. Where condition tends to make more of a difference is when you're selling private, buyers thinking you should have everything 'mint' [f'ing hate that term] but sell at well used prices. And many just won't buy if there's any kind of scratching or signs of heavy use. You know the ones, they want shutter count, warranties, name and number of your next of kin, when were you last vaccinated etc :ROFLMAO:

Even if you are careful, like I do, if you are a heavy user, the paint comes off in areas where your fingers/thumbs rub against it. My 5D3's just by the thumb wheel had some marks where my thumb was resting and where it came off. The metal loop where the straps go through also missing some paint. That is unavoidable, it's not like I stop using my thumb.

I have cameras on different shoulders so they never bash against each other, lenses off in the case so it is less pressure on the mount, nothing metal against another.

The lens I just sold, the 100L, was in such a good condition I would challenge you to tell it from a new one, after 7 years.

Hi Ant,

I know Croft very well, living only 15 minutes or so from the circuit. Superb circuit for photography IMHO. It will be busy even on Saturday, but unlikely to be so busy it’s difficult to get good shots. Focal length wise, you can use anything from 24mm upwards depending on how creative you want to get, but 100mm to 300mm from the spectator side will give you a lot of angles and options. The chicane, Complex and Sunny Out are great locations with low fences. Clervaux and Hawthorn also offer great angles, but if you want to be at the same level of the cars you’ll have to shoot through a Jurassic Park type fence which can be tricky on a Sunny day or if you don’t have a longer focal length lens.

Some examples from my Flickr (not shot on Sony gear so hopefully ok to post the links here)

https://flickr.com/photos/60309810@N08/sets/72157664947557808

https://flickr.com/photos/60309810@N08/sets/72157667638201263

I’ll be there Saturday and Sunday, but it will be very much family time this year for me - my 7 year old is motorsport (and BTCC in particular) mad :)

Cheers,

Simon.

Thanks so much Simon, exactly what I was looking for (y)

This
Yes the Auto ISO minimum shutter speed thing is a minor annoyance. Fuji (and I'm sure Nikon) allow any shutter speed to be specified, with Sony it's a much more restrictive range.

For wedding photography I always found 1/160 or 1/200 perfect as a 'set it and forget' minimum to balance keeping the ISO down and ensuring sharp shots when people move etc. I appreciate it's only a minor difference but having to pick 1/125 or 1/250 is an internal battle I've not figured out yet!

It's probably the only thing I'd change on the a7iii,

Couldn’t agree more. My 35 is on 1/125 but the 85 is 1/250th.

Very little in the difference with these places. Where condition tends to make more of a difference is when you're selling private, buyers thinking you should have everything 'mint' [f'ing hate that term] but sell at well used prices. And many just won't buy if there's any kind of scratching or signs of heavy use. You know the ones, they want shutter count, warranties, name and number of your next of kin, when were you last vaccinated etc :ROFLMAO:

depend what your trading in I found. low end gear they matched private sales but higher end gear was way under from any off them. Sadly if your selling even the used market is down. I struggled to get anything for my Nikon kit was lucky to get 1/2 of what I payed even for the kit that was as new(and I mean as new only used 4/5 times).
my 85 still hasn't sold at half what I payed (1400-750) and the shops offer less than that. I think thats also why used have fallen, I kept getting told" I will buy it for what mpb quoted" not what your asking, even though mpb would add a few hundred when reselling.

depend what your trading in I found. low end gear they matched private sales but higher end gear was way under from any off them. Sadly if your selling even the used market is down. I struggled to get anything for my Nikon kit was lucky to get 1/2 of what I payed even for the kit that was as new(and I mean as new only used 4/5 times).
my 85 still hasn't sold at half what I payed (1400-750) and the shops offer less than that. I think thats also why used have fallen, I kept getting told" I will buy it for what mpb quoted" not what your asking, even though mpb would add a few hundred when reselling.

Worse again are the Orient hounds who expect you to be running a Chinese warehouse. Off you toddle and good luck with customs I tell 'em.

I kept getting told" I will buy it for what mpb quoted" not what your asking, even though mpb would add a few hundred when reselling.
I've noticed this too and usually they want you to cover postage in that price too even though MPB give you free postage to send the kit in. I just don't get why people think I wouldn't take the easier less risky route of MPB if I was getting the same price as MPB offer.

Selling on here feels like it has dropped off a cliff lately. Usually it's tire kickers and people offering you 30-50% down on an asking price that was already chosen to be a reasonable (not p***ing taking) price and in brand new just out of the shop condition for that price too. I've got some Nikon gear that I could do with selling. The D810 has been up on here for a while but its not been selling even though I've been dropping the price. I'm really tempted to send it all to somewhere like MPB/WEX just for a easy hassle free sale just to get it done. Selling privately has become a right pain. Or maybe I should start looking at adapting the lens.

I've noticed this too and usually they want you to cover postage in that price too even though MPB give you free postage to send the kit in. I just don't get why people think I wouldn't take the easier less risky route of MPB if I was getting the same price as MPB offer.

Selling on here feels like it has dropped off a cliff lately. Usually it's tire kickers and people offering you 30-50% down on an asking price that was already chosen to be a reasonable (not p***ing taking) price and in brand new just out of the shop condition for that price too. I've got some Nikon gear that I could do with selling. The D810 has been up on here for a while but its not been selling even though I've been dropping the price. I'm really tempted to send it all to somewhere like MPB/WEX just for a easy hassle free sale just to get it done. Selling privately has become a right pain. Or maybe I should start looking at adapting the lens.

There's nowt wrong with some haggling, I do it all the time but I never do that MPB offer compare nonsense. I tend to go more by what MPB sell for, and see if I can get a better deal - or ,just chance asking the seller what's the best they can do. Being in Ireland sucks for buying on here because insured post to here can get pricey. If not for that I'd probably buy more, as it's often cheaper on here than I'll find on local sales sites.

There's nowt wrong with some haggling, I do it all the time but I never do that MPB offer compare nonsense. I tend to go more by what MPB sell for, and see if I can get a better deal - or ,just chance asking the seller what's the best they can do. Being in Ireland sucks for buying on here because insured post to here can get pricey. If not for that I'd probably buy more, as it's often cheaper on here than I'll find on local sales sites.
I'm happy for a bit of haggling :), that's expected but if people offer half the asking price it can feel a little insulting when I've tried to price it fairly using recent sale prices and not over price it. Though I'm probably happier just saying no than the questions asking 'whats the best you can do it for'. I've often given one then they say they're not interested. That can be annoying as it just means an instant price drop (which later gets haggling down further :(). Putting a offer in is probably better as at least the seller can say no. Its definitely difficult getting the balance right for both parties to feel they got good value and neither ripped off.

Last edited:
Nick Dungan (who used to be quite active on here) has a 600mm f4 loaner from Sony for the Le Man's 24hr this weekend, will be interesting to see the results from it.

Nick Dungan and Clifton Cameras are running an event with Sony kit and Aston Martin Vantages at Silverstone later in the year, I'm seriously tempted!...

I'm happy for a bit of haggling :), that's expected but if people offer half the asking price it can feel a little insulting when I've tried to price it fairly using recent sale prices and not over price it. Though I'm probably happier just saying no than the questions asking 'whats the best you can do it for'. I've often given one then they say they're not interested. That can be annoying as it just means an instant price drop (which later gets haggling down further :(). Putting a offer in is probably better as at least the seller can say no. Its definitely difficult getting the balance right for both parties to feel they got good value and neither ripped off.

I hear ya, I have bought and sold a lot locally and it's even worse than on here at times. Buyers can really test your patience. The most common irritations include "are you ever in Dublin?" - "Would you take 80 for it? can collect today" [you're selling something worth over 200 used] or they will offer just under your asking price and when you accept then they start haggling! Grrr - then like you say, you're stuck with that newly adjusted price ... I have 60 odd sales on one site with a perfect record. There's times I could easily and justifiably given negative feedback but instead I send a message of warning, telling them to cop on or they will get bad rep from others and nobody will deal with them. I believe in giving people a chance but jaysis, sometimes it's tough.

To be fair, on here you do get people that try selling a £600 lens for like £50-100 less than brand new when it's on it's 3rd or 4th owner sometimes ;)

Hi all. So I just got the godox v350s as someone here stated it was the only speedlites that the af assist beam works on it.

I've just tested this now on my a7r3 and it diddnt work.

My camera is set to af-s and af illuminator on auto but the assist beam never comes on.

Upon reading the manual it actually states that it's not compatible with the a7r2 etc cameras.

See pic attacked.

If the guy here who had this flash and said the af beam worked, could you tell me what am I missing here on my setup?

Cheers

IMG_20190613_223028.jpeg

I'm happy for a bit of haggling :), that's expected but if people offer half the asking price it can feel a little insulting when I've tried to price it fairly using recent sale prices and not over price it.

A lot of people need to get a deal, they're happier to pay £100 for something that was £130 rather than just paying £100 as in one scenario they made a nice saving but in the other they just paid the asking price. Which kinda sucks for anyone who just wants to know the best price but some of the prices quoted in the market here can be rather optimistic.

Though I'm probably happier just saying no than the questions asking 'whats the best you can do it for'. I've often given one then they say they're not interested. That can be annoying as it just means an instant price drop (which later gets haggling down further :(). Putting a offer in is probably better as at least the seller can say no. Its definitely difficult getting the balance right for both parties to feel they got good value and neither ripped off.

My favourite is when I'm asked what my best price is then for it to be immediately greeted by a lower figure.

The best advice I can offer is not to take these things personally, it's just business regardless of how much you care about the item.

A lot of people need to get a deal, they're happier to pay £100 for something that was £130 rather than just paying £100 as in one scenario they made a nice saving but in the other they just paid the asking price. Which kinda sucks for anyone who just wants to know the best price but some of the prices quoted in the market here can be rather optimistic.

My favourite is when I'm asked what my best price is then for it to be immediately greeted by a lower figure.

The best advice I can offer is not to take these things personally, it's just business regardless of how much you care about the item.

It's true, there is some light skill involved in the haggle, you have to foresee what the interested party is up to most of the time. When someone throws a number at you, they're often testing the waters, if you suddenly drop down then they might think 'hmmm, this is too easy ... ' it's a bit of a game. Best way to sell anything is price it fair to begin with, maybe with allowance for some haggling on top, this way you're offering a cut in the buyer's eyes. And be firm. Unless of course you just want rid quick

Last edited:
Hi all. So I just got the godox v350s as someone here stated it was the only speedlites that the af assist beam works on it.

I've just tested this now on my a7r3 and it diddnt work.

My camera is set to af-s and af illuminator on auto but the assist beam never comes on.

Upon reading the manual it actually states that it's not compatible with the a7r2 etc cameras.

See pic attacked.

If the guy here who had this flash and said the af beam worked, could you tell me what am I missing here on my setup?

Cheers

View attachment 247589

Yeah think that was probably me that said that a while back. It doesn’t work no flash’s currently available for Sony mirrorless including the Sony flashes have a working af assist beam. It is something to do with the sensor.

When these first came out Godox stated it did work and there was no mention in the manual that it didn’t. They actually had it advertised on their own site as being there first flash that did for a period of time.

They then updated everything and removed the bit about the a.f assist beam on their site. Added the bit to the manual and slightly changed the battery adding a little plastic tab so that the battery could pull out easily as before it was very difficult to remove.

I have never tried to use the af assist beam and only found out it wasn’t working when I read about someone else with the same issue on Facebook a little while ago.

Apparently you can only get an af assist beam if you use a trigger.

Last edited:
Someone posted on Facebook group, using Godox V1 mounted on Sony A7/9 (can't remember which) the AF beam assist works even in the dark.

I bought Flashpoint GI01 (similar to Godox A1) directly from Essentialphoto a couple of days ago and everything works as it should. Hopefully I got to use in my guiding workshop next week.

Last edited:
Yeah think that was probably me that said that a while back. It doesn’t work no flash’s currently available for Sony mirrorless including the Sony flashes have a working af assist beam. It is something to do with the sensor.

When these first came out Godox stated it did work and there was no mention in the manual that it didn’t. They actually had it advertised on their own site as being there first flash that did for a period of time.

They then updated everything and removed the bit about the a.f assist beam on their site. Added the bit to the manual and slightly changed the battery adding a little plastic tab so that the battery could pull out easily as before it was very difficult to remove.

I have never tried to use the af assist beam and only found out it wasn’t working when I read about someone else with the same issue on Facebook a little while ago.

Apparently you can only get an af assist beam if you use a trigger.
ahh damm ok :(

Also, i took off that white tab, diddnt realise what it was for until you mention it. Yes its difficult to take the battery out now lol ::(

Someone posted on Facebook group, using Godox A1 mounted on Sony A7/9 (can't remember which) the AF beam assist works even in the dark.

I bought Flashpoint GI01 (similar to Godox A1) directly from Essentialphoto a couple of days ago and everything works as it should. Hopefully I got to use in my guiding workshop next week.

Godox A1? That tiny thing? It doesn't have an IR beam, I think that is what we want, as opposed to the normal AF assist light.

ahh damm ok :(

Also, i took off that white tab, diddnt realise what it was for until you mention it. Yes its difficult to take the battery out now lol ::(

One of mine is the older version that didn't have the plastic tab on the battery. I just added a little bit of heat resistant tape on the side and folded over at the top, does the same job.

One of mine is the older version that didn't have the plastic tab on the battery. I just added a little bit of heat resistant tape on the side and folded over at the top, does the same job.
How did you get the battery out first time you discovered this issue?

Also. Have you used these flashes for event work in next to no light but just strobe dance floor lights? This is where I need the af beam

Nick Dungan and Clifton Cameras are running an event with Sony kit and Aston Martin Vantages at Silverstone later in the year, I'm seriously tempted!...

Thanks for the heads up, looks pretty reasonable for the amount of stuff you get to cover in a day. I assume you just take your own memory cards?

Back