The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

A quick Google going this on dpreview, looks like the same problem as you.
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61190471

Your options I guess are:
- return it?
- learn Chinese (if you work there part time and it's long-ish term then this could be useful anyway)
- use Google translate on your phone till things mostly become muscle memory
- try to sell it to someone here or on eBay, I am sure there'll be people around who can read Chinese.
- if you have international limited warranty contact Sony to see if they'll fix it for you
- even if you don't have warranty if have the original receipt try to contact Sony and see if they can help. It's a firmware issue and I am pretty sure Sony can fix it if they want to whether they will or not is another matter. They might for a fee?

Thanks everyone for the replies. I contacted Sony a couple of weeks back. Sony UK technical support were unable/unwilling to do anything. Sony China just explained it was intended for the local market. Not long ago i bought a Sony rx100 in the same shop in China and that doesn’t have the same issue - English is a language option. I think best/easiest option is to sell. Thanks all.

Anyone bought the 24mm GM? it's tempting, would just like to see how people are getting on with it.

I get on with it just fine :D

2AP61Qk.jpg

OqMziiO.jpg

bb17Jyk.jpg

NRKYqAS.jpg

X3mR2C0.jpg

x1VUFBX.jpg

VyfCtD5.jpg

I get on with it just fine :D

thanks

Feels straight edged for a wide lens, though the depends on angle you take photo and post processing - do you feel it behaves well with distortion of edges? or are the closer images cropped.

Do you combo it with 50mm for weddings?

thanks

Feels straight edged for a wide lens, though the depends on angle you take photo and post processing - do you feel it behaves well with distortion of edges? or are the closer images cropped.

Do you combo it with 50mm for weddings?

I don't think any of those are cropped in like I think you are saying, they may be cropped for excluding clutter on the edges and that's about it.

As for distortion, it's excellent as you can see in the wide shot on Grand Central.

I can only compare it to the 24L mk2 that i have, the Sony is a lot better, like a LOT, it makes the L like a kit lens.

I use it with the 35/50 and 85.

I don't think any of those are cropped in like I think you are saying, they may be cropped for excluding clutter on the edges and that's about it.

As for distortion, it's excellent as you can see in the wide shot on Grand Central.

I can only compare it to the 24L mk2 that i have, the Sony is a lot better, like a LOT, it makes the L like a kit lens.

I use it with the 35/50 and 85.

Thanks Raymond, it is tempting - thinking I might just hold on to get a couple of A9II first.. hm

Which, if any, camera strap system is everyone using with their A7/A9? Particularly with GM zoom lenses like the 70-200 or 100-400.

I've been using a Peak Design Cuff and Slide but I'm thinking of trying something different. Anyone using/used a Magpul sling with their QD system?

That's one of the lenses I've been eyeing, but on APSC it's much tighter

I used mine for a wedding on Saturday and was really impressed at how it operated on the MC-11, it's magic! I'll be adding the EF 17-40mm and 200mm 2.8 at some point, solid, cheap (relatively speaking) lenses with AF comfortably good enough for all but seriously demanding applications.

I used mine for a wedding on Saturday and was really impressed at how it operated on the MC-11, it's magic! I'll be adding the EF 17-40mm and 200mm 2.8 at some point, solid, cheap (relatively speaking) lenses with AF comfortably good enough for all but seriously demanding applications.

This was on FF I take it? The thing about the 135 on APSC is it's tight for anywhere indoor, and not long enough for a bit of light wildlife, which i do like now and then. The 200 2.8 would be ideal, as the 250 5.6 I have atm can be a tad dark on dimmer days, 2 stops of light would be nice [I don't do equivalence for DOF, doesn't matter at that FL] I'm using the fringer pro for Fuji, similar to the MC-11 I guess, but has complete functionality with EF-S lenses too without any need to 'hack' them. Though, why would you want to for FF

Last edited:
Which, if any, camera strap system is everyone using with their A7/A9? Particularly with GM zoom lenses like the 70-200 or 100-400.

I've been using a Peak Design Cuff and Slide but I'm thinking of trying something different. Anyone using/used a Magpul sling with their QD system?

For work i use black rapid double slim breathe strap, you can split it if you want to use one piece across body. So if you ever think you'll use two cameras it's worth considering.

I screw it into the tripod collar for the 70-200 and 100-400

Last edited:
10 things photographers should have but maybe don't...

https://fstoppers.com/education/ten-things-which-most-photographers-dont-have-probably-should-382029

I'm not really interested in grey cards or reflectors but reading this did make me think that a few things on the list and in the comments are worth thinking about, like a basic first aid kit for example.

I've never been hurt whilst out with a camera but walking in Eston Hills in snow years ago I had a little scare when I fell into a snow filled dip which was pretty much invisible and until I collected my thoughts, worked out which way was up and climbed out I was a bit worried as this was in the days before I had a mobile phone and if I had hurt myself I had no way of contacting anyone. It was only then that I started to think that wandering about by myself miles from the nearest house in bad conditions might not be really smart.

So my list of things to take with me apart from a camera and a lens and a spare battery :D now includes a mobile phone. I also try to remember to take some money including some coins, a pen and paper, a plastic bag and some tissues.

Anyone got any less than obvious things to take?

this is not really my forte but I felt I had a better view than their photographer so I snapped a few shots lol
Taken in Holland Park in London, I was just showing my family around and there are some nice peacocks here too.

48088201391_2eb0990c9b_b.jpg

48088234933_1dcee0bc67_b.jpg

48088195341_05da7ffafa_b.jpg

Last edited:

https://fstoppers.com/education/ten-things-which-most-photographers-dont-have-probably-should-382029

I'm not really interested in grey cards or reflectors but reading this did make me think that a few things on the list and in the comments are worth thinking about, like a basic first aid kit for example.

I've never been hurt whilst out with a camera but walking in Eston Hills in snow years ago I had a little scare when I fell into a snow filled dip which was pretty much invisible and until I collected my thoughts, worked out which way was up and climbed out I was a bit worried as this was in the days before I had a mobile phone and if I had hurt myself I had no way of contacting anyone. It was only then that I started to think that wandering about by myself miles from the nearest house in bad conditions might not be really smart.

So my list of things to take with me apart from a camera and a lens and a spare battery :D now includes a mobile phone. I also try to remember to take some money including some coins, a pen and paper, a plastic bag and some tissues.

I stopped reading Fstopper articles ages back, a lot of them seem like filler when they have nothing really useful to report. That list is a bit ... huh? Grey card? reflector? Nobody really 'needs' these. Especially if you only shoot RAW. A reflector can be useful for specific type shots, portrait mostly, but if you're a wildlife or landscape photographer it's a waste of space in your bag.

Surprised rocket blower isn't on there, as that is actually a lot more useful, weather proof bag and clothing maybe? for the things we can't predict like the weather! snacks and water in case you do fall into a ditch and can't move .... a map if you are hiking in unkown areas etc ... a grey card aint gonna save you

this is not really my forte but I felt I had a better view than their photographer so I snapped a few shots lol
Taken in Holland Park in London, I was just showing my family around and there are some nice peacocks here too.

48088201391_2eb0990c9b_b.jpg

48088234933_1dcee0bc67_b.jpg

48088195341_05da7ffafa_b.jpg

I bet the actual photographer was delighted you did that. :oops: :$

It shouldn't matter to the wedding photographer really should it? he's still getting paid, you're not :D

I wouldn't care as long as they are not in my frame and I am not asking the couples to look at me at that moment, as other people often causes their eyes to focus elsewhere.

That is annoying as hell, the few weddings I did shoot I experienced this, but even at any other party or get-together where they want at least a few posed group photos. I just shout at them to look at my camera only, or be really bold and shout 'Everyone look here, the pro photographer, only one that counts!"

I didn't get in anyone's way. I was shooting from other side of the lake with an 85mm. Their photographer was closer to them more towards their side of the lake

That is annoying as hell, the few weddings I did shoot I experienced this, but even at any other party or get-together where they want at least a few posed group photos. I just shout at them to look at my camera only, or be really bold and shout 'Everyone look here, the pro photographer, only one that counts!"

I actually offer them the opportunity to take it, get it out of the way, then I will say "my turn!" in a joking way.

I actually offer them the opportunity to take it, get it out of the way, then I will say "my turn!" in a joking way.

I did try that too, but there's the risk you miss the better poses - I prefer to shout at them :D then let them have their way once I'm done

For anyone interested in the 200-600 here’s a link to the naturettl review:

https://www.naturettl.com/sony-200-...il&utm_term=0_b1f65641f0-1f82d39aa3-149443669

Not sure it really says that much. With an A9 AF looks to be quite good. Not not I agree the 200-600 is ‘slightly’ bigger than a 70-200 f2.8. It would be interesting to see it against the 100-400 but am I right in thinking that’s roughly the same size as the 70-200 f2.8 when closed? When extended out to 400mm there may not be much in it.

Also, we've maybe been a pit picture light for a couple of pages... I haven't been able to get out with a camera for a while but I bet someone reading this has and has something interesting to post...

I wouldn't say that I have anything interesting to post, but in the interest of adding colour, here you go.

We've just spent a few days on the north Somerset coast. Didn't get much in the way of colour though..... :rolleyes::rolleyes::p

I 'store' [most of] my camera gear in the backpack anyway so typically I just grab the bag & go. A7 , my usual lenses, filters, batteries, a big microfibre, my headtorch, rocket blower, camera strap....plus I have room for snacks/drink too. I do sometimes use more of a hiking bag in which case I just quickly swap everything over......

The other 'usual' 20L hiking bag my other half uses contains a little first aid kit, bandages/sling, a few local maps, compass, waterproof trousers, snacks as standard plus any extra food/drink/etc depending on where & how long.

Sure fire way to annoy the guests. You really don’t need to act like this at a wedding, especially if you’re the “pro photographer”.

Back