The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I wish they had in a way.

It's either caused by rubbing against a peak design connector or against my body that has caused it. I've had the camera on me all day and it's the side that's next to my body so cant see how it's been caused by anyone accidentally knocking into me and would be the wrong side.

Might be worth checking your clothing for metal fixtures (i.e. studs in jeans) or similar.

Oddly enough I've had two box fresh (official Sony seal) UK a7IIIs and neither have had screen protectors installed.

One was early on and one was only a few weeks back with 3.01 already installed.

Last edited:
Oddly enough I've had two box fresh (official Sony seal) UK a7IIIs and neither have had screen protectors installed.

Yeah I couldn't see one on mine before installing a glass one.

It's interesting to note that of may all-time 10 most viewed photos, 6 have been taken with my A7III (owned since March) and 2 were taken using the Samyang 50 f1.4 that I only had for about 2 weeks right at the beginning. I WILL get another at some stage.

One was early on and one was only a few weeks back with 3.01 already installed.

I have had 3 grey market A7III’s and 3 U.K one’s all purchased at different times from different suppliers. They have all had a factory screen protector fitted.

I didn’t realise at first it’s harder to see than a normal screen protector.

My factory fitted screen started to peel in a corner a month or so ago. I heated it with a hairdryer and peeled it off not taking any care at all but after fitting a new one it looks ok. I must have got over six years out of it which maybe isn't too bad.

If anyone else has changed an original how long did you get out of it?

I thought every Sony camera comes with the protector fitted by default? As I said earlier, it really shows when you view the used market and see all the Sony cams with what appear to be de-lamented screens, and they are often reduced because of it. It's like neither the traders nor previous owners realise. You can bag a bargain buying one with what appears to be a badly messed up LCD, if you know that you can remove it and stick a new protector on there.

I am starting to get frustrated with the build quality of my A7iii.

This happened today just walking round the zoo. Think it's just the strap rubbing and as it's been a bit warm today (but only 21 degrees) it has caused the paint to rub off:

FZSUx7r.jpg

This happened about 4 weeks ago. Camera wasnt dropped or anything. I was out for the day and then took the camera out of my bag and the screen had a chip out of it and 2 cracks. Thankfully the chip doesnt really impact where you use the screen.

JTOQwWn.jpg

It's just very annoying and frustrating that a £2,000 camera doesnt seem to have the build quality it should do. I've had several Canon cameras over the past 10 years or so and never once had similar issues. Yet have had my A7iii for just over a year and doesnt seem to have anywhere near the same build quality.

I suppose the amount of tech that you get for the price comes at a cost elsewhere.

It's a peak design strap by the way. So I suppose the other option is that it's a design flaw of the strap but to me seems to be the camera build isn't up to scratch

That gouge runs in the complete wrong direction to be from the strap. Metal on your jeans or belt or something.

That damage does look as if it'd take a considerable knock or scrape or a considerable amount of time.

But what do I know, maybe the Russians did it in a second with Novichok.

My factory fitted screen started to peel in a corner a month or so ago. I heated it with a hairdryer and peeled it off not taking any care at all but after fitting a new one it looks ok. I must have got over six years out of it which maybe isn't too bad.

If anyone else has changed an original how long did you get out of it?

I added a protective one to the A7 when I got it in..... 2014/15. That's still on there so I'm presuming the original is still underneath.

Woah very very nice!!
Can I ask where the are located exactly so I could give them a visit myself

Thanks very much [emoji1303] it’s at black stone rock in Bwedley Worcestershire, opposite the car park is a sandy road/track walk up the road until you get to a bridge, then bare left keep walking till the end and then your surrounded with poppies fields.

Here is a link to the car park
Blackstone picnic site
Bewdley DY12 1PU
https://goo.gl/maps/tqJNwaibcBag17Qr5

Thanks very much [emoji1303] it’s at black stone rock in Bwedley Worcestershire, opposite the car park is a sandy road/track walk up the road until you get to a bridge, then bare left keep walking till the end and then your surrounded with poppies fields.

Here is a link to the car park
Blackstone picnic site
Bewdley DY12 1PU
https://goo.gl/maps/tqJNwaibcBag17Qr5
Any ideas how long these will last? I know flower fields sometimes disappear quickly!

New Sigma prime lens coming. Will be made for e-mount and won't available for dslr's their first.

35mmm f/1.8 maybe?

Remembered to take the MC-11 with me this time... so lots of shots with adapted Canon lenses

These are great, which lenses were you using on the MC-11? I used to go to Prescott a lot when I had a Clio Cup but haven't been for about 10 years, lovely place.

These are great, which lenses were you using on the MC-11? I used to go to Prescott a lot when I had a Clio Cup but haven't been for about 10 years, lovely place.

Canon 70-200 IS mkII and an old 24-105L. The 50mm shots are actually with an FE mount Sigma. In general performance was fine for panning, in the main I used expanded flexible spot. Tracking worked okay in a simple tracked pan, but I found it restrictive for how you shoot at Prescott. It would randomly select something else as well (not that I expected top performance from adapted lenses).

I do like Prescott, great day out :)

Did a 35mm f/1.8 beat up the Sony CEO or something?

Who wants a 35mm f/1.8 when you can have a 35mm f/1.2? :cool:

People expect this one to be small, hopefully around the same weight as the f/1.4. Sigma will want to make an impact with this lens as it will be there first ever lens designed for e-mount rather than an adapted dslr design.

I wouldn't have bought a 35mm f/1.8 but I would absolutely consider an f/1.2.

Last edited:

People expect this one to be small, hopefully around the same weight as the f/1.4. Sigma will want to make an impact with this lens as it will be there first ever lens designed for e-mount rather than an adapted dslr design.

I'm sure it'll be a great lens but we've already got a big and heavy 35mm with a large aperture.

From the comments at SAM:

"Knowing Sigma, this lens will be like 1.5 kilos and bigger than a pineapple" :LOL:

Sigma are innovators though, they were the first to do a 1.8 zoom for APSC and F2 zoom for FF [afaik] - and now will have the fastest AF lens for the Sony system - Kudos to them for continuing to not just keep up with but stay ahead of the curve.

The size may be smaller than we are used to from Sigma simply for that 'designed solely for E mount' reason.

Interesting either way.

From last week on the north Somerset coast with the A7 - CV40/1.2

by Lee, on Flickr

Back