The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Okay I've tried that Sony 200-600mm.

Bare - AF nice and on par with that 100-400mm.

With 1.4x noticeably slower.

Not sure with 2x didn't get a chance to use it. Plenty of people queuing for that lens so I don't want to hold everyone.

I guess my future setup will be 100-400mm and either prime 400mm or 600mm

Okay I've tried that Sony 200-600mm.

Bare - AF nice and on par with that 100-400mm.

With 1.4x noticeably slower.

Not sure with 2x didn't get a chance to use it. Plenty of people queuing for that lens so I don't want to hold everyone.

I guess my future setup will be 100-400mm and either prime 400mm or 600mm
There was barely any one after 13:30 when the cars restarted. Got to try out everything :D

I found the 200-600 to be wee bit slower locking on. It tracked just fine. Optically and AF wise it's the best one in this class of lenses.
It also seemed wee bit less sharp in the corners compared to 100-400mm but 100-400mm really sucks at 600mm :p

It's almost pointless trying to AF with 2x TC. 1.4x TC still works pretty well for static lenses.

LCE Chichester are also offering 10% off on 200-600mm. Feel free to PM me any one wants now details about this :)

Interesting rumour. It would be good to see an updated A6500 as I’m considering the A6400 as a second body. If they could roughly combine the A6400 and A6500 specs into one body using the FZ100 battery that could be quite an interesting proposition for me (y)

A6400 with ibis and a7 mk3 body would do nicely, not exactly difficult for them to cobble together.

Interesting rumour. It would be good to see an updated A6500 as I’m considering the A6400 as a second body. If they could roughly combine the A6400 and A6500 specs into one body using the FZ100 battery that could be quite an interesting proposition for me (y)

I wonder if we'll ever see the rumoured SLR style APS-C camera? One thing I'd do is add a second control dial to the RF style bodies.

I have two MFT cameras and lenses so I can't see myself ever buying a Sony APS-C camera but I do see how attractive they could be and of course you can use the same lenses as the FF cameras.

It'll surely have to be a fair bit cheaper than the A7III though, so somewhere in the middle?

I’d guess it would be around 1500-1750 at launch, current d500 territory. Which is still cheap if they make it that kind of spec.

A6400 with ibis and a7 mk3 body would do nicely, not exactly difficult for them to cobble together.
That would be perfect (y) like you say it would be a little more than the current A6400. I would even consider selling my 70-200 f4 to help fund the expected extra cost.

The A6400 body felt ok when I tried it briefly but it was noticeably smaller than the A7r3 I’m currently using (and that has a small rig L bracket attached). A6400 spec with FZ100 battery (I don’t really want two different battery types if I can help it) in a A7x body size would be pretty good for an APS-C camera.

Last edited:
Shot a wedding finally 100% Sony, the Canon case stayed shut all weekend except the need to adapt the 16-35.

I think it's time to sell it all and get a Tampon 17-28 or a 16-35 and I am good!

Oh, duck !

8JnYDPm.jpg

Morning all. Been away all weekend since Thurs camping and watching f1. Took some decent pics that I will share later. Primarily used the 100-400 with tc on my a9. Only used the 24-70 once or twice

There's a few deals on Amazon today - just picked up a 50 f1.8 for £135. Hope it's not junk, and if the 85 comes down tomorrow then I'll send it back.

Tends to get hammered on forums for it's AF but acc to DXO it's right up there in terms of sharpness and general IQ. For that price it would be hard to complain either way

I'll be going to Sony Event at Goodwood Race Course tomorrow to try out the new Sony 200-600mm. I hope they have 600mm F4 there for demo as it didn't mention in LCE website. So if any of you lot are there as well, say Hi.

Meanwhile, Sony A9 + Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 II

View attachment 249728
How did I miss this I only live round the corner, invite only was it?!

A few stonking deals on Amazon Warehouse that have come and gone (20% off at the moment). A couple of Sony primes (35mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.4) were comfortably cheaper than I've ever seen them.

:mad: Feel like I am missing out as I couldn’t find anything to buy on the Amazon offers.

My Sony Pro Support pack just dropped through the door. I only have A7III’s at the moment so they will take into consideration even if you don’t meet the criteria for example having one of the cameras in the first group. I was able to register my stuff a fair while ago and had got my membership number etc some time ago. It took some time to get the actual pack thing through so was wondering if there was some sort of issue.

35C7B112-C7A1-47D5-AF0C-EA51C979DD4D.jpeg

:mad: Feel like I am missing out as I couldn’t find anything to buy on the Amazon offers.

My Sony Pro Support pack just dropped through the door. I only have A7III’s at the moment so they will take into consideration even if you don’t meet the criteria for example having one of the cameras in the first group. I was able to register my stuff a fair while ago and had got my membership number etc some time ago. It took some time to get the actual pack thing through so was wondering if there was some sort of issue.

View attachment 249936

Wait what? I can apply with 2x a73 and a few GM lenses?

Back