The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I want a 70-200 that tracks as well as the 85mm f/1.8 haha. It was my first (and only for a while) native Sony lens so I used it for pretty much everything.

DSC03577-2 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

Hey Toni, I just had a play around with my 50 1.8 I'm experiencing really quite fast and accurate AF in continuous AF in both wide and flexible point. Using on my A7 III with latest firmware and lens already has ver.03 on it out of the box. I'll give it a proper try tomorrow in some daylight and report back.

Mine is on .03 as well. Continuous AF makes it mutter away non-stop, and it was really struggling to find an eye to lock & then failing to keep it when the person moved, sometimes moving the square to their cheek or clothing. On AFS it was allowing the shutter to trip when the area under the focus spot was OOF in the viewfinder, and although it did manage to sometimes hit the spot, that was unpredictable.

If this had been my first A7III experience then I'd have wondered what the hell I'd bought into - at least the Nikon system was predictable. Optically for the price I'm happy - distinctly sharper than either D or G Nikon 50 1.8s, though with busier bokeh, but I just don't feel I can trust the AF.

Mine is on .03 as well. Continuous AF makes it mutter away non-stop, and it was really struggling to find an eye to lock & then failing to keep it when the person moved, sometimes moving the square to their cheek or clothing. On AFS it was allowing the shutter to trip when the area under the focus spot was OOF in the viewfinder, and although it did manage to sometimes hit the spot, that was unpredictable.

If this had been my first A7III experience then I'd have wondered what the hell I'd bought into - at least the Nikon system was predictable. Optically for the price I'm happy - distinctly sharper than either D or G Nikon 50 1.8s, though with busier bokeh, but I just don't feel I can trust the AF.

Oh that doesn't sound good. I'll report back tomorrow if I get chance to try mine some more.

*edit, I can't quite believe how small and light it is.

Last edited:
If you were to get one Sony Portrait lens which one would it be?

I don't do portraits very often but have done more in the past couple of months than I have in years. I quit like the 56mm 1.2 on my Fuji so thinking maybe an 85mm on the Sony A7RIV/9? I don't want to go over the top price wise but don't want to get a cheaper version just to be sorry immediately after.

Samyang 851.4 for the rendering, although the Sony 85 1.8 has the better focussing - depends which is more important to you. Samyang lenses, particularly the recent models for Sony, have a particular look that I love.

I ordered a laptop once and they sent two separately. I contacted them via phone, and sent 3 emails with not a single reply. Kept one sealed for a few months in case they came to their senses but never heard from them at all.

Same story for me with iPods years ago. Eventually, I got someone on support that advised me to free post it back.

Question: Sony or Sigma for 135? Anyone tried both?

Last edited:
Same story for me with iPods years ago. Eventually, I got someone on support that advised me to free post it back.

I have the Sigma 135 man and its absolutely lethal. More than welcome to a lend of it.

@F/1.4

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

@F/1.4

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Is it here yet?

Waiting on a call from wex to find out what is going on. They're adamant it came in yesterday, they're trying to find out why it hasn't been dispatched, should be calling me in the next hour. Spoke to Sigma UK and they said they aren't aware of any stock of that lens that has shipped anywhere in the world never mind UK. Think I may be about to be let down here fs

20190718_092949.jpg

Attachments

• 20190718_093016.jpg
    20190718_093016.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 19
I'll know within an hour but it's not looking good. Spoke to them again and they said it 100% came in yesterday. My gut feeling is theres human error somewhere

I had the same thing when LCE told me the 24GM had came in, but the store is local so I popped down at lunch time and it was there! I didn't believe it until I saw it.

I had the same thing when LCE told me the 24GM had came in, but the store is local so I popped down at lunch time and it was there! I didn't believe it until I saw it.

Fingers crossed man. Was so hoping to have it for Saturdays wedding. Already had my other 35 up for sale lol

Sigma 85/1,4 if you can stand the size.
Sony 85/1.4 GM if you have the dough
Sony 85/1.8 if you want to go best bang for buck (and fastest AF speed)

Sigma 105/1.4 Art would be my left field choice

i used this lens yesterday (adapted). what an absolute beast. decent autofocus and renders like a samyang. im toying with the idea of getting one but its damn heavy.

i used this lens yesterday (adapted). what an absolute beast. decent autofocus and renders like a samyang. im toying with the idea of getting one but its damn heavy.

Once I sell my Canon gear I am going to get one, wanted one ever since I saw it in The Photography show but couldn't justify it.

A73 x 2
16-35 or 17-28 (can't decide which one, probably get the Tamron, with the 28-70)
20/1.4 Sigma (May not get this again, hardly used it really, and the above will cover it 99% of the time)

24GM
35ZA
50ZA
85GM
90G Macro
105/1.4 Sigma
135GM or the Sony 70-200GM

Godox flash x 5

I can't believe how complete my Sony set up is after only a year...only 4 more lenses tops.

Last edited:
Once I sell my Canon gear I am going to get one, wanted one ever since I saw it in The Photography show but couldn't justify it.

A73 x 2
16-35 or 17-28 (can't decide which one, probably get the Tamron, with the 28-70)
20/1.4 Sigma (May not get this again, hardly used it really, and the above will cover it 99% of the time)

24GM
35ZA
50ZA
85GM
90G Macro
105/1.4 Sigma

Godox flash x 5

I can't believe how complete my Sony set up is after only a year...only 4 more lenses tops.

what canon gear are you moving on? seem to remember you having tilt shift?

Do you really need the macro?

I'd have thought you'd only want it for stuff like ring shots but wouldn't the cropability of todays kit give you a big enough picture after cropping?

I use the sigma 135 at weddings. It's quick, it's sharp but bloody hell is it heavy! Cracking lens

Do you really need the macro?

I'd have thought you'd only want it for stuff like ring shots but wouldn't the cropability of todays kit give you a big enough picture after cropping?

You can't really do a ring shot like this without a macro.

iycTX1H.jpg

A73 x 2

24GM
35ZA
50ZA
85GM
90G Macro
105/1.4 Sigma

Godox flash x 5

Only 4 more lenses tops.

I have a similar set up for my work stuff.

A73 X 4
16-35 f/4 (Might change to the Tamron 17-28 haven't decided yet)
24GM
35mm f/1.4 Art (Might change to the f/1.2)
55mm
85GM
90G Macro
70-200 f/4

I have 2 x Godox AD200'S, 1 X AD600 and 4 x V350s

Had planned on getting the 135GM this week but just not sure I would use it much, very indecisive on this one.

Have the cash sitting waiting for the A9II coming but the A7R4 is very tempting, mainly just for the extra reach with my current glass. Having the 85GM becoming an equivalent of a 127.5 would probably save me the need to buy the 135GM.

I have a similar set up for my work stuff.

A73 X 4
16-35 f/4 (Might change to the Tamron 17-28 haven't decided yet)
24GM
35mm f/1.4 Art (Might change to the f/1.2)
55mm
85GM
90G Macro
70-200 f/4

I have 2 x Godox AD200'S, 1 X AD600 and 4 x V350s

Had planned on getting the 135GM this week but just not sure I would use it much, very indecisive on this one.

Have the cash sitting waiting for the A9II coming but the A7R4 is very tempting, mainly just for the extra reach with my current glass. Having the 85GM becoming an equivalent of a 127.5 would probably save me the need to buy the 135GM.

I don't think I used the 135 in the past year, it's too long for my liking, I end up shouting to the couple for directions lol

105mm would be my limit, but the reason i got the 135L was because the Canon version is one of the cheapest L lens, I think it was like £750 when i got it and it is useful if I am force to stay in the back of a church. Which I think now with IBIS and better ISO on the Sony, it will make up for the 1 stop difference and can replace it with a 70-200, which would be more useful when it comes to landscapes stuff as well.

Last edited:
I don't think I used the 135 in the past year, it's too long for my liking, I end up shouting to the couple for directions lol

105mm would be my limit, but the reason i got the 135L was because the Canon version is one of the cheapest L lens, I think it was like £750 when i got it and it is useful if I am force to stay in the back of a church. Which I think now with IBIS and better ISO on the Sony, it will make up for the 1 stop difference and can replace it with a 70-200, which would be more useful when it comes to landscapes stuff.

That is my concern in terms of not using it much and I guess I would only really use it for outdoor portraits as it's going to be too long. It couldn't replace my 85GM as I would still need that for everything else.

That is my concern in terms of not using it much and I guess I would only really use it for outdoor portraits as it's going to be too long. It couldn't replace my 85GM as I would still need that for everything else.

I am happy with the 85GM for everything from head to shoulder to even full length. The 85mm is a must have in my bag.

I can get what I need with the 85 but the 135 can't replace the 85 whereas the 85 can "replace" the 135.

I am happy with the 85GM for everything from head to shoulder to even full length. The 85mm is a must have in my bag.

I can get what I need with the 85 but the 135 can't replace the 85 whereas the 85 can "replace" the 135.

Yip, I think the 135GM for me is probably more of a want than a need, and it's a fair bit of cash to be tied up in something that might sit in the cupboard/bag a fair bit.

Not sure I would even use it much for personal stuff as I am quite happy with my little A6400 set up for that.

No 35 1.2 for me. Had a feeling it felt a tad soon. Raging FS

WEX said they acknowledged expected stock early. Knew it was too good to be true when I got the email. Actually asked the guy if he could physically go and check was there and he assured me it was lol

Back