The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The A7ii ergonomics do look better. Im not so sure on that last comment but I guess it depends on what you shoot ;)

Funny thing is that I sold the A7 because of the ergonomics after about 100 shots but find that I'm quite happy with the ergonomics of the A7R after 3,500 shots. There's probably a lesson in there for me somewhere. :confused:

Sony A7rII files show posterisation when pushed 5 or 6 stops. Shock. Horror.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/dpre...rtifacts-in-certain-conditions/#disqus_thread

Well, that's that then. It's a piece of junk.

Just out of interest, has anyone taken a shot that doesn't look like sh!t when pushed 5 or 6 stops? I can't remember ever pushing a shot that far.

What am I missing here?

It doesn't just do it when you push. Look at rawdigger and diglloyd. It's unlikely most would notice it and it won't effect all shots but it would be nice if Sony avoided raw compression or offered the option.

Last edited:
Just out of interest, has anyone taken a shot that doesn't look like sh!t when pushed 5 or 6 stops? I can't remember ever pushing a shot that far.

What am I missing here?
My friend took a great shot of a tie-dye t-shirt with his 5DII that turned out awesome when pushed it by 6 stops. Admittedly it was a white t-shirt before that, but man, those were some crazy colourful patterns.

It doesn't just do it when you push. Look at rawdigger and diglloyd. It's unlikely most would notice it and it won't effect all shots but it would be nice if Sony avoided raw compression or offered the option.
I tend to agree with the guys in the Luminous Landscape review video. If you can only see the problem when pushing a shot beyond anything normal and then viewing at 100 to 200% then maybe it's not something that I personally would worry about. But, there's a whole army of people who will look for the smallest issue when doing the most outlandish things and who will then take as much internet bandwidth as they can to shout about it so that it becomes an issue that many more people will worry about.

Remember the wailing about light leaks, ghosting znd black spots and 100 other issues with this or that camera? It's never ending.

I do hope that Sony do an update to provide uncompressed raw if only to shut the internet warriors up but they'll only move on to the next reason why the A7 or any other camera is a piece of junk, it'll go on forever because that's what drives some peoples interet use and life.

I suppose if the raw issue goes away the next will be the lack of a second card slot. As someone at LL pointed out until 5 years ago and thoughout the history of film no one had two card slots and even today there are workarounds.

The whinging will never end.

Last edited:
So
when can we see some mote shots from the a7rii?

Also any feedback on ibis with legacy glass much appreciated.

I'm also looking forward to using my Canon glass on it.

Sony A7 with extended Sony warranty for £619.00 with cash back.
£599.00 with cash back elsewhere.
:)

I'm happy to see used A7 prices falling comfortably into my reach these days.
Still not got one as I'm a bit busy, well that's my excuse.

A7R II sensor takes the top spot on DxO...

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D810-versus-Sony-A7R-II___963_1035

Honestly though I find it a bit disappointing that it only topped the 3+ year old design in the D810 by one point, DR actually almost a stop worse at base ISO and noise performance less than 1/4 of a stop better. With only 6 MP more as well I'm guessing we maybe hitting the realms of diminishing returns with FF the way we did with APSC a few years ago.

I don't think DxO scores are "out of" 100, they just happen to be close to it with current FF sensors.

By comparison the shift from the D3x to the D800 was from 88 points to 95 points, improving in all areas and 1/2 of a stop better noise performance.

A7R II sensor takes the top spot on DxO...

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D810-versus-Sony-A7R-II___963_1035

Honestly though I find it a bit disappointing that it only topped the 3+ year old design in the D810 by one point, DR actually almost a stop worse at base ISO and noise performance less than 1/4 of a stop better. With only 6 MP more as well I'm guessing we maybe hitting the realms of diminishing returns with FF the way we did with APSC a few years ago.

Maybe we need to get over measuring "stops" lost at base ISO and actually take some photos....

I'm surprised there hasn't been more feedback from A7rII owners on this site.

I'm happy enough with my A7 but it'd be nice to read peoples views.

Whatever makes you feel comfortable however I'm not a Nikon D810 user let alone a Canon user any longer and whatever your requirements are I do feel you (and many others) are fixated on some margin or other difference and I'm sorry if such metrics are disappointing you (and them)
I'm delighted with the fact that Sony have packed such an incredibly functional camera into such a delightfully compact body. What percentage score that offers you is your business but to me this is a stunner. As has been said elsewhere, best go take images with whatever body you wish and if so interested in what the Sony A7RM2 can do, best get your hands on one and use that experience to make your decision assuming it is actually of interest to you?

Whatever makes you feel comfortable however I'm not a Nikon D810 user let alone a Canon user any longer and whatever your requirements are I do feel you (and many others) are fixated on some margin or other difference and I'm sorry if such metrics are disappointing you (and them)
I'm delighted with the fact that Sony have packed such an incredibly functional camera into such a delightfully compact body. What percentage score that offers you is your business but to me this is a stunner. As has been said elsewhere, best go take images with whatever body you wish and if so interested in what the Sony A7RM2 can do, best get your hands on one and use that experience to make your decision assuming it is actually of interest to you?

Well said that man.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more feedback from A7rII owners on this site.

I'm happy enough with my A7 but it'd be nice to read peoples views.

Alan
My recent post was addressed to Moreorless but was by definition an endorsement of my thought on the A7RM2.
I've been faced with a completely different interface (menu system) from that of Canon and it is taking some time to adjust and considering the utterly terse but factual Sony manual info details, sorted out by Brian Smith's book on the A7 arriving today.
I can't contribute info on non Sony lenses or adaptor performance non do I have any long lenses. I made my choice based on what is going to get me out and shooting rather than leaving heavy MirrorFULL kit at home. So mirrorless is brand new to me and of course the A7RM2 is new to us all.
I'll try to respond when I can. ☺

Annoying just claimed my cash back on the a7.
Anyone else have issues with Sony crediting the cash back? They denied my jessops invoice was actually an invoice..I had to really kick up a fuss to get the money.

I bought the A7ii and Zeiss 1.8 from Jessops online.

Sony paid my claim within 3 weeks (£200).

I too have just seen the double cash back :(

Last edited:
I'll try to respond when I can. ☺

Great stuff. Personally I don't gain much if anything from viewing images on line and I'd much rather read peoples opinions.

As I previously said, I doubt I'll buy the rII (but you never know...) as to be honest the A7 is probably over spec for what I need as all I basically need is a smallish FF body and a couple of nice lenses. 40+ mp is overkill for me but I do appreciate that others will use them and I'll be interested to read peoples opinions in due course both out of interest and just in case I can't resist... :D

I did think of getting one in Thailand and was offered a very good price for a body only but despite asking several times I couldn't convince myself they were actually quoting for and selling the rII. Possibly because the price was just too good. I suppose I should have asked to see the box.

Last edited:
I thought the files were compressed? A7r files load faster on my PC than the Fuji ones :eek:
It's not so much the loading time although the time it takes CS5 to save A7 files is off putting enough, it's the clogging up of the hard drive. Yes, external drives are cheap but they're also something else to carry and plug in.

It's not so much the loading time although the time it takes CS5 to save A7 files is off putting enough, it's the clogging up of the hard drive. Yes, external drives are cheap but they're also something else to carry and plug in.

Perhaps it's time for an upgrade.

Perhaps it's time for an upgrade.
Yo twist. Yesterday I tested out the af on a typical Street shoot on a cloudy day using my third party adapter and sigma art and I gotta admit. It focuses just as fast as my dslr.

I think if you do compare and do scientific tests you will see the dslr has the upper hand but on real world usage would you notice it?

Not if your not shooting fast action sports you won't do so imo.

It's a great camera. Still playing around with it

Yo twist. Yesterday I tested out the af on a typical Street shoot on a cloudy day using my third party adapter and sigma art and I gotta admit. It focuses just as fast as my dslr.

I think if you do compare and do scientific tests you will see the dslr has the upper hand but on real world usage would you notice it?

Not if your not shooting fast action sports you won't do so imo.

It's a great camera. Still playing around with it

Everything I've seen suggests in decent light they are more than capable, in tricky light things slow down, i take photos of people in poor light often and at f1.4 so af needs to be top class, that for me is real world. So I'd notice it.

I'd love one as a second camera but I won't be leaving my dslr just yet for a few reasons. I've also spent enough on cameras for now and already have a csc with a couple good primes so im well covered. Perhaps when it's a decent price or in a year when the mk3 is out. ;)

What you gonna do with the 5d3 and 7s?

Last edited:
Everything I've seen suggests in decent light they are more than capable, in tricky light things slow down, i take photos of people in poor light often and at f1.4 so af needs to be top class, that for me is real world. So I'd notice it.

I'd love one as a second camera but I won't be leaving my dslr just yet for a few reasons. I've also spent enough on cameras for now and already have a csc with a couple good primes so im well covered. Perhaps when it's a decent price or in a year when the mk3 is out. ;)

What you gonna do with the 5d3 and 7s?
Selling my 7s and keeping my 5d3 for sports

Back