The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Just sat here thinking I don't know what I'd go for if buying today, a new A7III or A7RIII or a used RIII just to get the extra cropping ability over the A7III and save a few hundred over a new RIII. The main improvements I see for me would be the joystick and eye detect.

Between the A73 and A7R3 it's EVF, rear display and pixel shift for me, otherwise I'd rather save a grand.

anyone bought the a7r4? thoughts?

I'm more interested to see what the A9II brings to the table, and more importantly just how low the A9 will go on grey import.....

I'm more interested to see what the A9II brings to the table, and more importantly just how low the A9 will go on grey import.....

Have no interest in the A9 at this point in its lifecycle but I would be 99% sure I will probably get the A9II.

I think the A7Riv may be my ideal camera. I have been waiting for an APSc version of the A9, having a 28mp camera inside of the Riv means just 1 camera to do everything, just a shame Sony doesn’t give the option for smaller Raw files (sraw/mraw)

That's what I got from it when I first saw it, basically a sponsored advert. "One of the sharpest lenses on the market today, it just came out ..." mmmkay ... there's nothing he says that couldn't be said about a million other lenses upon release, I'd wait to see actual reviews. And though I'm not big on wall charts or brick wall tests, I'd still check those 2 if "corner to corner sharpness" is a big deal for you.

I noticed they were talking about wireless tethering in the A7R4, is it a new feature or something I've missed on other Sony bodies?

I noticed they were talking about wireless tethering in the A7R4, is it a new feature or something I've missed on other Sony bodies?

You couldn't do it before, you can only tether with a cable.

There are 3rd party apps to tether I think from searching but not officially supported.

I think I'd be more interested in the A9-II too, the A7R4 looks great but I just think the MP count has gone that bit too much now. I have a powerful Mac and it's just about OK using LR and PS with the Z7 files which are around 55-60mb. The A7R4 files are likely to be well over 100mb, I can see that being a royal PITA and would likely start using compressed files. Granted I'm sure the compressed files are OK, but it seems a bit daft to me to use compressed files with a camera like this as surely the point of buying it is ultimate IQ?

I think I'd be more interested in the A9-II too, the A7R4 looks great but I just think the MP count has gone that bit too much now. I have a powerful Mac and it's just about OK using LR and PS with the Z7 files which are around 55-60mb. The A7R4 files are likely to be well over 100mb, I can see that being a royal PITA and would likely start using compressed files. Granted I'm sure the compressed files are OK, but it seems a bit daft to me to use compressed files with a camera like this as surely the point of buying it is ultimate IQ?

That's the thing, it isn't just upgrading the body, I have to upgrade my work flow, including my computer, which currently a 2012 iMac. 60mp will bring it to a crawl and unusable. Suddenly £3500 becomes £5500.

That's the thing, it isn't just upgrading the body, I have to upgrade my work flow, including my computer, which currently a 2012 iMac. 60mp will bring it to a crawl and unusable.
As I said, 60mb is what the 45.7mp Z7 lossless compressed files are, imagine 61mp uncompressed :eek::eek::eek:

Yup and a pretty bad one at that.

He thinks it’s the best lens evar111!!!

It's useful for me as you see the lens on the camera and being used and generally waved about by someone. Looking at pictures on DPR and other sites like that sometimes gives me a wrong impression of how big the kit is so seeing it in someones hands and being used in a real world way is more informative / better for me.

Looking at the stats it seems almost identical to the 55mm f1.8 and although I'd like a more compact lens that lens isn't exactly a 50mm f1.4 GM and although my A7 plus 35 or 55mm f1.8 wont fit in my Lowepro Apex 100 (the A7 and 35mm f2.8 do) in reality it'll be ok, all I need to do is use a slightly bigger bag.

Last edited:
That's what I got from it when I first saw it, basically a sponsored advert. "One of the sharpest lenses on the market today, it just came out ..." mmmkay ... there's nothing he says that couldn't be said about a million other lenses upon release, I'd wait to see actual reviews. And though I'm not big on wall charts or brick wall tests, I'd still check those 2 if "corner to corner sharpness" is a big deal for you.

I'll be disappointed if it isn't approaching the quality of the 55mm f1.8 but I will keep in mind that if an old Rokkor is sharp enough for me this 35mm f1.8 almost certainly will be too.

Any good 5K monitors you know of?

Most companies that make displays have options that are better than the iMac monitor, LG, Benq are 2 of the cheaper ones.

The iMac display other than the resolution isn’t even that good and the actual spec of the machines themselves are a joke. Years behind.

Apple use to be the first choice of all creative professionals but hasn’t been for donkeys years that isn’t their market any more.

Any good 5K monitors you know of?

5K is pretty pointless for photography, would much rather have colour accuracy. And a matte finish is essential for that because a gloss finish boosts contrast and saturation :)

That said, there are some good 4K monitors available for not bad prices. Dell Ultrasharp U2718Q is 4K and 99.9% sRGB with a matte finish.

The rumor site says that a new RX camera is coming today...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-confirmed-by-sony-china-new-rx-camera-coming-today/

I wonder if it'll be an RX1 type camera.

I'd like to see one with an integral EVF rather than a pop up one. I gather from blogs and such that the RX range has been soundly thrashed by the Leica so maybe Sony will up their game with any new camera and make it more competitive… if the Leica is indeed the better camera.

5K is pretty pointless for photography, would much rather have colour accuracy. And a matte finish is essential for that because a gloss finish boosts contrast and saturation :)

That said, there are some good 4K monitors available for not bad prices. Dell Ultrasharp U2718Q is 4K and 99.9% sRGB with a matte finish.

I much prefer the dedicated Benq photography monitors I use now to the Ultrasharps I was using before.

That's the thing, it isn't just upgrading the body, I have to upgrade my work flow, including my computer, which currently a 2012 iMac. 60mp will bring it to a crawl and unusable. Suddenly £3500 becomes £5500.

Isn't the bottleneck still going to be Lightroom rather than your hardware?

I know Adobe improved performance but I haven't used it in a while or with anything over 25mp, I remember how ******* useless it was with a Nikon D810 and the only solution was to use different software.

I know Adobe improved performance but I haven't used it in a while or with anything over 25mp, I remember how ******* useless it was with a Nikon D810 and the only solution was to use different software.

I haven't had any issues with my Lightroom in a long time and I am regularly working with large files sizes from Brenizer style portraits.

A while back I thought it was running a little bit slow and I went on to the Adobe help chat and one of their guys logged in and made a few changes and it has been lightening fast ever since.

I never had any issues at all with files from the D800,D810 or the D850 causing any speed issues with lightroom.

Last edited:

No idea, my largest sensor I'd use is the 30mp 5D4.

no issues with lightroom here, works well :)
still using the older perpetual license version.

My concern is that with an iMac, even though it cost more, i can usually get 5+ years out of it. It is currently 7 years and i don't feel the need to upgrade at the moment.

Anyone else using a 7 year old windows machine? Because if it can't last that long then it isn't really cheaper.

Back