The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Nothing hip about it all. If you're happy with what you drink, fill your boots. I drink some mainstream stuff from Tesco as well if I've run out of better stuff. It's fine.

Jonny on here even roasts his own beans, I cba to go that far myself!

Oh there most certainly is 'hip' labels, even for coffee. Never heard of this one and it may well not be, but the price difference can be significant. I've tried coffee that was £6-8 a bag, and then the Tesco stuff for £2.50 or whatever, no difference. 90% of the time I just use instant, and again, find it pleasant enough

I drink everything, Tesco, Morrison, Sainsbury's, Starbucks. £3 bag, £15 bag.

I'm thinking the beans probably all hail from the same locations, labels are a thing, no different than designer clothes really. Same materials, but the label pumps the price

FYI, it was £18.75 for a kilo, which works out at £4.60 for 250g. For something roasted recently, like this week, single origin, it is VERY good value.

Typical supermarket bags are £225 to 250g and it's normally about £4 a bag.

Oh there most certainly is 'hip' labels, even for coffee. Never heard of this one and it may well not be, but the price difference can be significant. I've tried coffee that was £6-8 a bag, and then the Tesco stuff for £2.50 or whatever, no difference. 90% of the time I just use instant, and again, find it pleasant enough

This just says more about your taste buds than anything else :D

Last edited:
I'm thinking the beans probably all hail from the same locations, labels are a thing, no different than designer clothes really. Same materials, but the label pumps the price

You might want to look at their site and read into the sources and methods that they use before you decide it's all the same and rebadged...

No they are not. Roasters actually visits these farms, buy from them.

I mean I can say all Whiskey are brewed in the same factory and relabelled as they all taste the same to me.

This just says more about your taste buds than anything else :D

Yeah, I'm fine with that :D I'm seeing the hipster strong emerge here, enjoy your over priced beans lads

When people start comparing coffee to whiskey I'm well out - Good whiskey takes 12-16 years in casks to age and mature, are they dropping the placebo for free into these bags of over priced beans? :p

Anyway, was just an observation, bag to your over priced lenses

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm fine with that :D I'm seeing the hipster strong emerge here, enjoy your over priced beans lads

When people start comparing coffee to whiskey I'm well out - Good whiskey takes 12-16 years in casks to age and mature, are they dropping the placebo for free into these bags of over priced beans? :p

Like I said, all whiskey are rebadged from the same factory, take the same amount of time, they only want you to think it takes 15 years, 18, or 40 years. It's all the same stuff, just added flavouring to fool you to hand over your money.

What? I thought we are making things up? :D

Last edited:
Like I said, all whiskey are rebadged from the same factory, take the same amount of time, they only want you to think it takes 15 years, 18, or 40 years. It's all the same stuff, just added flavouring to fool you to hand over your money.

What? I thought we are making things up? :D

Must tell me Dad then, I don't touch the stuff :p But y'know, when you have the likes of Conor McGregor suddenly come out with a whiskey that's apparently a 12yr old, which would well precede his fame, you have to wonder how much rubbish we swallow with marketing

Ah okay, you obviously only eat the value versions of every food you eat, and the same for any beer or wine etc. (if that's your fancy) as they all taste the same. Cheap whiskey is the same as expensive whiskey, only hipsters would think otherwise. You'll be telling me you're one of those hipsters who use these digital cameras next, just the same as film, no need for them.

Ah okay, you obviously only eat the value versions of every food you eat, and the same for any beer or wine etc. (if that's your fancy) as they all taste the same. Cheap whiskey is the same as expensive whiskey, only hipsters would think otherwise. You'll be telling me you're one of those hipsters who use these digital cameras next, just the same as film, no need for them.

Nope, I'm a very fussy eater. Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions, this is just my thoughts on coffee. I'm more a tea person tbh. Coffee has to be one of the biggest lures for the 'hip' - c'mon, I see people fork out £4 for a paper cup of muck all the time.

Nope, I'm a very fussy eater. Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions, this is just my thoughts on coffee. I'm more a tea person tbh. Coffee has to be one of the biggest lures for the 'hip' - c'mon, I see people fork out £4 for a paper cup of muck all the time.

Fussy eater, another name for hipster surely, it's all the same. I've seen the same for tea. The only time I go to a coffee place is when the young un fancies a treat.

All tea is the same, comes for the same East London council estate, it's all a con :D

Last edited:
Fussy eater, another name for hipster surely, it's all the same. I've seen the same for tea. The only time I go to a coffee place is when the young un fancies a treat.

I'm flattered, never been called a hipster in my life :D maybe I'll run with it for a bit, but I aint paying over the odds for a few beans. I lied tbh, I'd eat just about anything. Only a hipster would fall for these easy lines

Only a hipster would get p***y about their coffee being insulted

I'm slating over priced coffee and here you are trying to nit pick my diet :ROFLMAO: if you seen what I ate today you'd be more inclined to call me a pig :LOL::coffee:

Last edited:
I'm flattered, never been called a hipster in my life :D maybe I'll run with it for a bit, but I aint paying over the odds for a few beans. I lied tbh, I'd eat just about anything. Only a hipster would fall for these easy lines

I'm slating over priced coffee and here you are trying to nit pick my diet :ROFLMAO: if you seen what I ate today you'd be more inclined to call me a pig :LOL::coffee:

Yep, definite snowflake hipster :kiss:

Nothing hip about it all. If you're happy with what you drink, fill your boots. I drink some mainstream stuff from Tesco as well if I've run out of better stuff. It's fine.

Jonny on here even roasts his own beans, I cba to go that far myself!
Yup I roast my beans

Yep, definite snowflake hipster :kiss:

That's what a snowflake would say!

Ladies, I'm sure your over priced coffee taste 'amazeballs' but stop being so emo about it. It's your money and your life and your mind and all that SJW nonsense

I'm slating over priced coffee and here you are trying to nit pick my diet [emoji23] if you seen what I ate today you'd be more inclined to call me a pig [emoji38]:coffee:
The beans I buy work out much cheaper then the tesco crap.

That's because I buy raw green beans in bulk

The beans I buy work out much cheaper then the tesco crap.

That's because I buy raw green beans in bulk

Educate me then, how is what Tesco offers 'crap'? I'm pretty sure it's not Tesco workers selecting the beans or roasting them or even packaging them, what makes their coffee any the lesser? I'm genuinely interested, no troll

A 'coffee expert' eurgh .... was he not very selective about his examples? I've had cheap coffee that had that lighter roast

You missed the point.

Are you trying to learn or are you trying to argue? I thought you are "genuinely interested" ? Did you not listened to the differences he talked about between cheap and more expensive beans? The roasting, the variety, the taste, the gas, the flavour etc? Out of the whole video, all you came away with is from the 1st minute? you didn't watch it all did you?

He also specifically states that you can also get a darker roast expensive coffee too.

You are clearly not open minded to learn and not interested at all to know about it, I am not sure why you even asked.

p.s. And he didn't pick the examples, that is the point of the video too. It seems like you keep missing the point.

Last edited:
You missed the point.

Are you trying to learn or are you trying to argue? I thought you are "genuinely interested" ? Did you not listened to the differences he talked about between cheap and more expensive beans? The roasting, the variety, the taste, the gas, the flavour etc?

He also specifically states that you can also get a darker roast expensive coffee too.

You and you're arguing, relax Ray, I watched it, and what I did learn was to watch for a 'Roasted on' date rather than a best before, otherwise I still think that video was being selective. I'm starting to think you secretly want some drama, I'm the one willing to try here, you're just pushing what you like maybe? I'lll give anything a try, I will actually watch and learn, don't be so quick to snap! I'll learn while you're looking to nit pick

I've tried all kinds of coffee and tbh Tesco stuff is as good as any, maybe I'm not hip enough to appreciate the pricier stuff? :/

Kinda depends on your brewing method! If you're using a V60 or something - yeah you're probably not gonna wanna drink Tesco stuff. One of those automatic "espresso" type machines with built in grinders that cost £3-500? You can't use light roasted, oily coffee beans with those, it just gums up the grinder. That method is perfect for your shop bought Illy etc. If you're using a *proper* espresso machine (I, for example, have a single group Nuova Simonelli and a Macap MXD grinder) and you're spending 000's - you're probably gonna go for lighter roasted, single origin coffee's from well known 3rd wave coffee roasters.

Each to their own, each has their merits. But to say you're not hip enough just ain't true - when you brew a cup correctly (with a well roasted bean) you can start picking out lovely strawberry or orange notes in a natural processed Ethiopian bean, say. Not all coffees should taste bitter and strong, y'know?

You and you're arguing, relax Ray, I watched it, and what I did learn was to watch for a 'Roasted on' date rather than a best before, otherwise I still think that video was being selective. I'm starting to think you secretly want some drama, I'm the one willing to try here, you're just pushing what you like maybe? I'lll give anything a try, I will actually watch and learn, don't be so quick to snap! I'll learn while you're looking to nit pick

They are being SELECTIVE because they selected beans for a purpose for the video, that is the whole point. How exactly would you do it "not selective"? Get beans from every single coffee plant in the world, roast them in all different versions and then do all the blends so you come away with 283,248,590,238,324,823,480,423,934,290,347,692,347,907,234,980,234,979,234,760,923,742,374,923 combinations and do a video on that?

The point of that video is you wanted to learn about the differences between your commercial beans and single estate, or cheap to something more expensive. Selective or not is irrelevant. They had picked out some, and name irrelevant, and the point of the video is to pick out what they are trying to say, why some are more expensive and why are cheap and what make them so.

The point of the video is not "coffee expert' eurgh".

Try re-watch it without being judgmental.

Last edited:
I mean that kind of comment is no different than someone going "my phone camera has 48 mega pixels, it look as sharp as your £5,000 FF DSLR, you don't need that. Look at my phone, isn't that a great sharp photo?"

Without going into what else make a good photo, what makes a £5000 camera a £5000 camera.

And when an "expert" try to explain it by looking at a phone photo compared to a DSLR, and they tell you all the differences that you can look out for, but that person goes "Eurgh, expert".

Last edited:
Kinda depends on your brewing method! If you're using a V60 or something - yeah you're probably not gonna wanna drink Tesco stuff. One of those automatic "espresso" type machines with built in grinders that cost £3-500? You can't use light roasted, oily coffee beans with those, it just gums up the grinder. That method is perfect for your shop bought Illy etc. If you're using a *proper* espresso machine (I, for example, have a single group Nuova Simonelli and a Macap MXD grinder) and you're spending 000's - you're probably gonna go for lighter roasted, single origin coffee's from well known 3rd wave coffee roasters.

Each to their own, each has their merits. But to say you're not hip enough just ain't true - when you brew a cup correctly (with a well roasted bean) you can start picking out lovely strawberry or orange notes in a natural processed Ethiopian bean, say. Not all coffees should taste bitter and strong, y'know?

I can get with this, dare I say for fear of slating, but I make my own E-liquid - I'm pretty good at it too with many hailing my 'juices' as being superior to shop bought, over priced liquids. This is why I believe when done right, it can very much be done on the cheap - but of course, not always, I would never recommend anyone buy those pound world e-liquids.

The point of the video is not "coffee expert' eurgh".

Try re-watch it without being judgmental.

Once was enough, and if 'coffee expert' wasn't important, then why did he state it right at the start - hence the justified 'eurgh'

Last edited:
Ray, I think you're a bit stuck up you're own rear at times, it's like you cannot stand someone having an alt opinion. No, it's nothing like that at all, but keep reaching, maybe you'll take a better pic with your over priced lenses some day than I could using my £150 phone

Haha.

I can get with this, dare I say for fear of slating, but I make my own E-liquid - I'm pretty good at it too with many hailing my 'juices' as being superior to shop bought, over priced liquids. This is why I believe when done right, it can very much be done on the cheap - but of course, not always, I would never recommend anyone buy those pound world e-liquids.

E Liquid? Like, the stuff you put in vape pens?

Coffee isn't quite the same, I guess - you really do get what you pay for. I've tried some blind taste tests with my staff using a shop bought coffee (Illy or Lavazza) vs Nescafe vs a light roasted, fresh, bean. They can all spot the difference a mile off, but for some, they prefer the taste of Nescafe. What can I say? Some people just like that bitter taste.

Haha.

E Liquid? Like, the stuff you put in vape pens?

Coffee isn't quite the same, I guess - you really do get what you pay for. I've tried some blind taste tests with my staff using a shop bought coffee (Illy or Lavazza) vs Nescafe vs a light roasted, fresh, bean. They can all spot the difference a mile off, but for some, they prefer the taste of Nescafe. What can I say? Some people just like that bitter taste.

It is the same, as in the quality of the ingredients matters. Doesn't mean it's got to be over priced. I never slated quality, just the prices, I think that's been completely missed here. As for the e-liquids, I source my nicotine from high end UK distributors, it is Pharama grade all the way. Same with the PG/VG I use. I only use the best high end , well regarded flavorings, I do the research, I mix in a sterile environment, I test, steep, re-test etc ... nothing is finalised until I'm completely satisfied - If I was really into coffee I know I'd be the same about it

E-liquid might not be important to you, so you don't understand why quality matters there, but think about it. Inhaling into your lungs vs ingesting ... I would think the quality of something I intend to inhale is more significant tbh. I can produce 100mm of high quality e-liquid for about £3, where store bought 'premium' e-liquid can cost up to £6 per 10ml - and I guarantee in a blind test mine would probably win, because I don't do the over load with sweetener trick.

Last edited:
It is the same, as in the quality of the ingredients matters. Doesn't mean it's got to be over priced. I never slated quality, just the prices, I think that's been completely missed here. As for the e-liquids, I source my nicotine from high end UK distributors, it is Pharama grade all the way. Same with the PG/VG I use. I only use the best high end , well regarded flavorings, I do the research, I mix in a sterile environment, I test, steep, re-test etc ... nothing is finalised until I'm completely satisfied - If I was really into coffee I know I'd be the same about it

I'll disagree slightly, here. Most coffee roasters here in the UK use a handful of importers - they're all working with a fairly similar pool of green beans. Now, I've had the same bean roasted from two different roasters. One good, one not - coffee roasting really is an art form, not one easily mastered. Price normally reflects both the quality of the bean (there's a scoring matrix for coffee beans - most 3rd wave roasters use beans that cup in the 84+ scoring range) but the second, and most important, is the skill of the roaster. I'd happily pay an extra £10 a kilo for something roasted by Gardelli coffees, say - because I know I'll taste the difference. Is that over priced? Yeah, definitely, if I'm going to whack it in a moka pot - there's no way I'm tasting the difference. But if I take care over my brew method & I can taste the difference, is it not worth it?

I'll disagree slightly, here. Most coffee roasters here in the UK use a handful of importers - they're all working with a fairly similar pool of green beans. Now, I've had the same bean roasted from two different roasters. One good, one not - coffee roasting really is an art form, not one easily mastered. Price normally reflects both the quality of the bean (there's a scoring matrix for coffee beans - most 3rd wave roasters use beans that cup in the 84+ scoring range) but the second, and most important, is the skill of the roaster. I'd happily pay an extra £10 a kilo for something roasted by Gardelli coffees, say - because I know I'll taste the difference. Is that over priced? Yeah, definitely, if I'm going to whack it in a moka pot - there's no way I'm tasting the difference. But if I take care over my brew method & I can taste the difference, is it not worth it?

Which part are you disagreeing with? the price? Yes, they're over charging, if you're willing to pay out then it's on you - all you're disagreeing with is the right to over charge ... as I said, i can produce high quality product to match the high street, for a fraction of the cost - the difference is i don't have the overheads, i don't have to pay for shipping or staff or running a shop - same s*** though.

Which part are you disagreeing with? the price? Yes, they're over charging, if you're willing to pay out then it's on you - all you're disagreeing with is the right to over charge ... as I said, i can produce high quality product to match the high street, for a fraction of the cost - the difference is i don't have the overheads, i don't have to pay for shipping or staff or running a shop - same s*** though.

Disagreeing with your interpretation of "over charging". I'm merely pointing out that if YOU drink, say, a dark roasted robusta bean, costing, say £4 for a 250g bag which is perfectly serviceable by your standards, then sure - a 250g bag of light roast Arabica bean costing £10 will seem like a rip off. But what I'm saying to you, as someone who's passion (and work) lies within the coffee industry, that what you consider to be a rip off just isn't the case. It's more nuanced than that. I'm sure there are some slightly incompetent coffee roasters charging overinflated prices for tat (hell, I've tasted enough of that..) but, that's doing a disservice to good coffee roasters selling decent product. That's all.

Your comparison to vaping doesn't quite make sense, in this context.

You have never had to pay £20 for a 30ml of e-liquid that barely lasts 2 days for a seasoned vaper - that is the only reason you don't see the sense in the comparison. Coffee is no more important or significant than e-liquid, they both have an audience, both are flavour based, there's differences in both price and quality and both make a shed tonne for manufacturers - some more so because they fancy up the label or claims of more premium ingredient. Seems a pretty straight forward comparison to me, unless you're snooty about it and imagine coffee is somehow more upper market.

seasoned vaper
Just about as 'Hipster' as it gets! :)

All these posts show is that if it's something you care about (coffee, camera, vaping etc), you have more discerning requirements and perhaps value it more - regardless of whether that 'value' is time or money based.

Oh and mocking someone else's 'passion' (@Cagey75 :() will get a response.

Back