The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Looks like you had a lovely time. Singapore is one of a kind IMO. Worth at least one visit.

While you were gone I picked up a porst 50mm f1.2 :D
Haven't received it yet but really looking forward to it

A what? A porst?

A 50mm f1.2 does sound nice. I'm waiting for me 35mm f1.8.

The holiday was lovely but TBH there was just too much food but getting up at 6am and going for a run round the track before it got too hot helped a bit. Mrs WW would love to go back but she has to go to Thailand for a month next year so that takes priority. I doubt I'll get to go.

A what? A porst?

A 50mm f1.2 does sound nice. I'm waiting for me 35mm f1.8.

The holiday was lovely but TBH there was just too much food but getting up at 6am and going for a run round the track before it got too hot helped a bit. Mrs WW would love to go back but she has to go to Thailand for a month next year so that takes priority. I doubt I'll get to go.

Sounds like the break was well deserved and enjoyed :) I didn't realise you'd pre ordered the 35mm....!

Outside of the boot, giving it everything and straight into the top bin. Can't coach that stuff. I'll try and take the credit though.

View attachment 252701View attachment 252702View attachment 252703

The second shot. Look at the energy!! Great :)

Only just found out that there is a rebadged version of the Godox V350s under the Neewer brand which can be bought a lot cheaper. It’s called a Neewer NW420s.

Last edited:
Yeah the Neewer stuff sometimes works out cheaper. I got the trigger XPRO for around £40 but in good it was £60 everywhere.

Last edited:
Yeah the Neewer stuff sometimes works out cheaper. I got the trigger XPRO for around £40 but in good it was £60 everywhere.

What do they call the trigger mate, might pick up another if they are that cheap?

That the new one?

Anyone heard when the A7RIV will start shipping? I've got one on pre-order but no idea when they will start shipping, seem to recall it being September but don't know where I read that.

Looking for some feedback regarding the 4 Options open to the E-Mount @ 85mm.

I'd like the Sony 1.4 G lens but have heard a lot of good things about the Zeiss Batis 85mm 1.8.

I know there's the other Sony and the Sigma.

Can anyone share some real work use and experience with any of the lenses.

Looking for some feedback regarding the 4 Options open to the E-Mount @ 85mm.

I'd like the Sony 1.4 G lens but have heard a lot of good things about the Zeiss Batis 85mm 1.8.

I know there's the other Sony and the Sigma.

Can anyone share some real work use and experience with any of the lenses.

Sony FE85/1.8 is just as good as batis 85. So I'd skip the batis.

The Sony 85GM is a beauty. AF is on the slower side.

Sigma ART 85 is supposedly slightly sharper than 85GM but 85GM has slightly better bokeh.

There is also a samyang 85mm f1.4 FE AF lens. Don't know much about this lens.

Nice toy! E53 AMG? I have gone the other way and gone full EV and I am doing between 18-20k miles a year :eek:
I have a iPhone XR and use the Moment lenses for family / quick snaps. The quality is good enough which is why I am cutting down on my Sony gear.
Not quite it’s it’s baby brother the C43, fortunately I don’t pay for the fuel as I do about 35k a year. It’s currently averaging 27mpg! Who cares though with the smile it puts on my face

So I ordered one of those Gabale LB3 L brackets you were discussing a few pages back. It turned up yesterday having taken around a week or so to arrive. Unfortunately it wasn’t the bracket I ordered (sent the wrong one). It does fit the A7r3 but it’s no better than the small rig L bracket I already have. I’ve been offered a partial refund but that still leaves me paying for a L bracket that I want or really have a need for. Any advice as Ive not dealt with issues concerning China ebay sellers before. Accept the partial refund and keep the L bracket (likely see if someone on here needs one) or hold out asking for a return and replacement?

24GM lets me use the 50ZA - worth it for that alone :D
Well the 24GM doubled up as 35mm f2 via. Crop on A7RIII. With A7RIV I'll have even more resolution.
While a similar thing can be said for FE35 I don't really use the 50mm focal length much.

Well the 24GM doubled up as 35mm f2 via. Crop on A7RIII. With A7RIV I'll have even more resolution.
While a similar thing can be said for FE35 I don't really use the 50mm focal length much.

I use 28mm 1.7 on 47MP full frame, and that's great for cropping into 35/50mm - even has functionality to provide the frame lines for it. So yes 24 on the A7R series would be a good setup :)

Last edited:
Just return it in the normal way. You should get the 'seller sent wrong item' option. Since it's their fault they have to pay for the return.
I’ve gone down the ‘sent wrong route’ but the seller is offering a part refund rather than return and replacement. I’ve replied saying I’m not happy with that as I don’t want the one they sent. I have also said if I have to accept a partial refund they will be getting neutral feedback as they sent the wrong item and then offered partial refund only. Hopefully that spurs them onto replace it. To be honest if they don’t replace it then I will let PayPal take over to resolve it. At the moment I wouldn’t recommend buying one of these Gabale LB3 L brackets from this seller (linked to a few pages back)- great if you get what you ordered, not so great if you don’t.

I’ve gone down the ‘sent wrong route’ but the seller is offering a part refund rather than return and replacement. I’ve replied saying I’m not happy with that as I don’t want the one they sent. I have also said if I have to accept a partial refund they will be getting neutral feedback as they sent the wrong item and then offered partial refund only. Hopefully that spurs them onto replace it. To be honest if they don’t replace it then I will let PayPal take over to resolve it. At the moment I wouldn’t recommend buying one of these Gabale LB3 L brackets from this seller (linked to a few pages back)- great if you get what you ordered, not so great if you don’t.

I did the same and a piece of absolute cr*p arrived in the post. Complained.

Anyone heard when the A7RIV will start shipping? I've got one on pre-order but no idea when they will start shipping, seem to recall it being September but don't know where I read that.

According to e-infinity it’s the 23rd September

Easy, both. [emoji4]

I have the 24GM and I’ve got the FE35/1.8 on order. Even though they are close is FL, they will serve different purposes.
For me they are too close. Both small enough but FE35's size is the main attraction for me

Narrrrh they are very different (if you don’t crop).

If your goal is to save money then sure, 24GM for best of both with a camera with crop mode.
Goal isn't to save money while that is a nice side goal/side effect.
I'd never carry both so it's pointless buying both. Idea is to have minimal gear that I'll carry with me on travels.

Tamron 28-70/2.8?
Been there done that ;)
Already have Sony 24-105mm. I have primes for speed i.e. wider aperture (and also for smaller size).

The larger debate in my head is do I go the full length and settle on FE35/FE85 combo or keep my 85GM and go with 24GM. I can't bring my self to sell the 85GM and I can't bring myself to accept FE35/1.8 after having owned 24GM and convinced that it's one of the best lenses I have owned.

Been there done that ;)
Already have Sony 24-105mm. I have primes for speed i.e. wider aperture (and also for smaller size).

The larger debate in my head is do I go the full length and settle on FE35/FE85 combo or keep my 85GM and go with 24GM. I can't bring my self to sell the 85GM and I can't bring myself to accept FE35/1.8 after having owned 24GM and convinced that it's one of the best lenses I have owned.

Money no object, I'd stick with the 24-105, + GM 24 and 85 set up for covering most key bases (probably want a 55 f1.8 and 35 f2.8 for compactness too) plus something really wide for interiors/distortion.

Been there done that ;)

The big advantage of the 35mm f1.8 is surely the size and weight although there's the cost too but I assume that's not a great barrier for you.

Personally I think that 24, 35 and 85 is a good set up and I don't see 24 and 35 as being too close as every mm at the wide end shows whereas at the longer end a few mm are maybe neither here nor there, but maybe that's just me.

Again personally, I think I'd rather miss the 24mm out and go for a 20mm. How do you feel about that? The 24mm may be such a good lens though that it's hard to overlook.

When my 35mm f1.8 arrives I'll have 35mm f2.8 and f1.8, 55mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8 and the 28-70mm kit lens. I can't remember the last time I used the 55mm but it's just such a good lens that I honestly can't see myself selling it as if I'm in a 50mm-ish sort of mood and want to use an AF lens rather than a manual one it's just sooooo good.

If you had to choose, which one and why?

Sony FE 90mm f2.8 Macro G OSS v Canon 100mm f2,8 L

My 35 1.4 was spot on when I got it, but the focal plane has become decentered and the click on/off switch is loose.

Off to Sony it goes

Back