The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

It might be a bit sharper but I don't know if that really matters.

The big advantages that I see in the f1.8, as I say above, are the f1.8 and the close focus ability. The close focus ability brings perspective into play so another option is to increase the distance, thus altering the perspective, and crop... but if doing that I might as well use the f2.8. I don't think that the focus speed is too much of an issue for me but for others this could be another big factor.

I'll take a few months to use the f1.8 and have a think but I see advantages in both lenses. For the f1.8 it's the aperture and close focusing ability and for the f2.8 it's compactness. I could always keep both and use the f2.8 when I want the smallest form factor, days out and holidays with other people, and the f1.8 for the odd trip out by myself or just with Mrs WW who's used to me taking a camera out and taking pictures of stuff.

The 35mm f2.8 is just so good and it makes for a really compact camera and lens package which IMO looks unintimidating and inconspicuous and I really don't want to move too far away from that and even though the f1.8 is still a relatively small lens it still means a bigger and more obvious package, IMO.

This is what has made me keep the Sammy 35 f2.8 - it's so small that the camera is really inconspicuous. I keep looking at the 28 f2, but it's >twice the size.

Yup. Even using it (A7 and 35mm f2.8) at a table in the hawker markets and shopping centres in local (not really tourist) areas and in crowds hardly draw a glance but I could imagine a bigger package drawing more attention. Others may see this as a non issue or will have their own opinion on what size kit can be used in what situation. I like to gather as little attention as possible.

Last edited:
Yup. Even using it (A7 and 35mm f2.8) at a table in the hawker markets and shopping centres in local (not really tourist) areas and in crowds hardly draw a glance but I could imagine a bigger package drawing more attention. Others may see this as a non issue or will have their own opinion on what size kit can be used in what situation. I like to gather as little attention as possible.

oh it does..

This is what has made me keep the Sammy 35 f2.8 - it's so small that the camera is really inconspicuous. I keep looking at the 28 f2, but it's >twice the size.
Just got one for the same reason. Went to the States and had Tamron 28-75 and Voightlander 40 but wanted something autofocus that I could stick in my bag on a holiday to Greece. It’s so compact and with the camera on a wrist strap very inconspicuous.

After a hard day the happy couple like nothing better than nodding off on the bus... A7 and 35mm f2.8...

0mN2Hxq.jpg

We waz in da big city, Singapore, which makes my area look like something from the middle ages.

PS.
One thing I noticed was the very high babe count whereas my area has a high Heffalump count. I only notice these things when Mrs WW isn't watching me.

Last edited:
It's so annoying. I part exchanged my 100-400 GM against it that they obviously kept so I'm currently zoomless :(

I am in exactly the same position. Sold my 100-400mm to a forum member based on the their initial estimate of 2-3weeks!
Was at the airshow last Friday without a proper telephoto :(

tempted to buy back the 100-400mm at this point!

To be fair, Amazon do say it'll "be released on 13th September". Which will come as news to all those who ordered from Park and are happily playing with it.

we are talking about two different lenses. The Amazon one was FE35/1.8. We are now discussing the 200-600mm.

I'll have mine tomorrow, also from Park. Will post my thoughts after next Saturday's wedding.

Got rid of my 28mm. Loved the focal length but it's really not a good lens.

Hands down the worst lens I've used on Sony. Soft as mush

Mine is sharp as yours must have been a dodgy one.

Sharpness in the centre is fine. Falls off a cliff towards the edges. Barrel distortion is the worst of any prime I've owned - using side-by-side with the 25 batis doesn't help its case. Same story for Chromatic aberration and vignetting. And, worst of all, it's completely devoid of any kind of character.

There are positives. It's a lovely focal length, it's pretty quick and accurate at finding focus, contrast and colour are good, and the size and weight are perfect for the A7III. Would love to see it get updated so it's of the same quality as the other 1.8 primes in the Sony lineup.

I thought I'd pipe up with my new acquisition which has transformed my a7riii. Okay, so transformed might be a little bit strong but it's made it a joy to hold and my pinky thanks me every day, It's a Meike MK-X1EM which I thought was hugely overpriced at £50 but the difference it's made is worth every penny.

IMG_20190808_150134.jpg
IMG_20190808_150151.jpg
IMG_20190808_150235.jpg

Looking at the pictures now, the gap looks far more extreme than it is. I've never noticed it with my fingers. The only downside is it sitting lopsided when on a surface, and having to loosen it to get the battery out. The built in arca swiss plate is great too!

Apologies for the greasy snoz prints on the screen.

I thought I'd pipe up with my new acquisition which has transformed my a7riii. Okay, so transformed might be a little bit strong but it's made it a joy to hold and my pinky thanks me every day, It's a Meike MK-X1EM which I thought was hugely overpriced at £50 but the difference it's made is worth every penny.

View attachment 253090
View attachment 253091
View attachment 253092

Looking at the pictures now, the gap looks far more extreme than it is. I've never noticed it with my fingers. The only downside is it sitting lopsided when on a surface, and having to loosen it to get the battery out. The built in arca swiss plate is great too!

Apologies for the greasy snoz prints on the screen.
It's a whole lot cheaper than the Sony offering and it's got an Arca plate.........bugger bugger <sob> <sob>

The problem with them I find is you need to remove it when you change battery, unless you never need to and charge it via usb.
True, it's not perfect and not for everyone. I never need to change during a day and 3 seconds with a coin added to the normal time to remove it is worth it for a comfy hand and improved handling during the rest of the day. If I required frequent super quick changes I'd have to look elsewhere. Everyone's needs are different but I'd not seen this one discussed before so I hopefully it will help someone.

Back