The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I quite like the idea of having an APSC body alongside my A7III but the current design puts me off, the cameras really need front and back wheels for aperture and shutter control for me. I think I may have a bought an A6400 by now if this was implemented.

I have an A6000 as my travel camera - and while it's not a front / back configuration, it does have twin dials - top / back, which can be set as Shutter and Aperture (or Shutter and EC, Aperture and EC) - as that's how I use mine.

It took a bit of getting used to, but not too much, and now I happily use both the A6000 and my old 'traditional DSLR' style A900 (which has the Front / Back dial configuration), with no issues switching between them.

0cae8c00-b5c5-4315-8cb1-363996c83087-jpeg.253139

I think that shot may have convinced me to sell my Sigma 35mm in favour of the 1.8 Sony.

I have an A6000 as my travel camera - and while it's not a front / back configuration, it does have twin dials - top / back, which can be set as Shutter and Aperture (or Shutter and EC, Aperture and EC) - as that's how I use mine.

It took a bit of getting used to, but not too much, and now I happily use both the A6000 and my old 'traditional DSLR' style A900 (which has the Front / Back dial configuration), with no issues switching between them.

Yeah, I had an A6000 before my A7III but always found the rear wheel awkward, it's a compromise too far for me.

I think that shot may have convinced me to sell my Sigma 35mm in favour of the 1.8 Sony.

I am gonna just run with them both for a while anyway. The Sony is very light, small and ridiculously quick a.f and focuses really close but it doesn't have that f/1.4 goodness.

We waz in da big city, Singapore, which makes my area look like something from the middle ages.

PS.
One thing I noticed was the very high babe count whereas my area has a high Heffalump count. I only notice these things when Mrs WW isn't watching me.

Shanghai is similar I’m both departments.

Clean,fancy and modern which makes Scotland’s large city’s look like the 3rd world equivalents...yes not all Shanghai is that nice, but over all it’s a lot cleaner and nicer, seeing as it’s 4x larger than London.

And yes I may have a thing for the lady’s in Asia but your right there are a lot more attractive and a lot less large women there, though over the past 10 years visiting the no. Has definitely increased.

It isn't weatherproofed and I like cameras to have a grip to curl your fingers round. It looks a great street camera but the cost is so high for a one focal length option

you can buy a grip for it plus a thumb grip too which makes it incredibly comfortable to use actually. Sold mine last week.

It sounds like you are looking for a unicorn.
I think you are probably right. The Sony A7R iii is the unicorn but there is the niggle of weather sealing. It sounds like for most situations if would be fine so I think that will be the one I do for. I'll give it a couple of months and hope the MK IV sees a good few bargains. Thanks

I think you are probably right. The Sony A7R iii is the unicorn but there is the niggle of weather sealing. It sounds like for most situations if would be fine so I think that will be the one I do for. I'll give it a couple of months and hope the MK IV sees a good few bargains. Thanks

just add a leather half case or l-bracket and you'll be mostly covered. The battery door is the only weak point I believe.

I should get a packet of those, and the reverse for the flash. I lost 3 of the 4 i have for the Godox already.

It's funny you should mention that I lost a couple of the Godox one's as well, just assumed they would be in the bag somewhere. Anyway I was cleaning out one of our bags earlier getting ready for tomorrow's wedding and came across 4 of the Godox one's which now mean's I have 6. I only have 4 x V350s so I have absolutely no idea at all where I have gotten the other two from. :oops: :$

I have also some how managed to lose a battery at our last wedding as well. :banghead:

Last edited:
It's funny you should mention that I lost a couple of the Godox one's as well, just assumed they would be in the bag somewhere. Anyway I was cleaning out one of our bags earlier getting ready for tomorrow's wedding and came across 4 of the Godox one's which now mean's I have 6. I only have 4 x V350s so I have absolutely no idea at all where I have gotten the other two from. :oops: :$

I have also some how managed to lose a battery at our last wedding as well. :banghead:

Where they you get your replacements from if you didn't buy it? lol

You know what I have an abundance of...Eneloop AA batteries. I went all Li-ion rechargeable with the Godox so i must have at least 80 or so AA Eneloops now...I don't have that many remote controls!

You know what I have an abundance of...Eneloop AA batteries. I went all Li-ion rechargeable with the Godox so i must have at least 80 or so AA Eneloops now...I don't have that many remote controls!

I can't even remember working with anyone who shot Sony and Godox in case I might have lifted there's by mistake at some point. The only thing I can think of is that the bag was bought used of eBay and that the extra one's might have been rattling away in there since I have had it.

:LOL: That's too funny I literally said to my wife yesterday, what are we gonna do with all of these rechargeable batteries. We also have about 80 or so that we don't need anymore after getting rid of our last Nikon flash's the other week. I went round the house yesterday afternoon replacing batteries in all of our remotes, the xbox one controllers etc. and still have loads of them left.

I bought a ten pack of hot shoe covers from amazon for 6 quid. The will keep the worst of the weather off my current cameras

I quite like the idea of having an APSC body alongside my A7III but the current design puts me off, the cameras really need front and back wheels for aperture and shutter control for me. I think I may have a bought an A6400 by now if this was implemented.

Last week while away it took me a while to figure out to use the front wheel and rear dial in manual mode on the boys A6000. So used to the A7 :)

I took my 35mm f1.8 bramble picking. We got rained off but we did get an ice cream tub and a fruit jar full :D

The lens is nice and sharp and the close focus ability is really nice but the bokeh is only what I'd expect from a 35mm, not great with a messy background.

I hope the sharpness at f1.8 and 100% survives posting here...

wVf4bkm.jpg

26cY6N1.jpg

hikR4kA.jpg

QfLqxeL.jpg

Last edited:
I took my 35mm f1.8 bramble picking. We got rained off but we did get an ice cream tub and a fruit jar full :D

wVf4bkm.jpg

The lens is nice and sharp and the close focus ability is really nice but the bokeh is only what I'd expect from a 35mm, not great with a messy background.

I hope the sharpness at f1.8 survives posting here...

hikR4kA.jpg

QfLqxeL.jpg

the bokeh is actually rather good tbh!

I hope the sharpness at f1.8 and 100% survives posting here...

wVf4bkm.jpg

26cY6N1.jpg

hikR4kA.jpg

QfLqxeL.jpg

Have you noticed all the purple fringing yet?

No, but I haven't really looked. Having said that I've taken a few shots at f1.8 and nothing's jumped out at me even in these outdoor shots with quite strong backlighting.

Have you?

With such a messy background I think it's a real torture test, which is why I took these. With a longer lens you're going to be further back and the flattening effect of the perspective will help and you'll include less mess but I do think that for a 35mm this isn't too bad.

No real swirliness.

No, but I haven't really looked. Having said that I've taken a few shots at f1.8 and nothing's jumped out at me even in these outdoor shots with quite strong backlighting.

Have you?

Yeah noticed it straight away. Plenty of others seem to have as well, there is a fair bit of talk about it on some of the Facebook groups.

In what circumstances? Dark foreground and bright areas like indoor shooting maybe? Got any examples to post?

Tricky background but it looks pretty nervous to me.
His second and third photo looks rather good. His first the background is tricky as you say.
The bokeh is better than the Nikon Z version. The AF is also faster and accurate.
For all the stick I gave it and Sony seems to be the best 35mm f1.8-2 lens at the moment. The CA is bad though.

Last edited:
His second and third photo looks rather good. His first the background is tricky as you say.
The bokeh is better than the Nikon Z version. The AF is also faster and accurate.

Yeah, up close its decent, the 1st and last image in separate post show it (bottom left in that image).

Or the Samyang, CZ and ART 1.4.

Sony has the obvious size/weight and video AF advantage.

Nah, F1.2 FTW! :D

The "fully" native sigma ART lenses work very for video too. They are all sharp wide open. They also have GM lenses like economics.
There isn't much point in buying the CZ anymore apart from the tiny weight savings.

Back