The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

o3YLBGi.jpg

Just realised the 24GM isn't on F/1.4.......

That remains to be seen/compared, but that is also a very specific usage/application of the lens, as opposed to general UWA day to day use.

Filter threads isn't really a concern, all you need is a different adaptor for Lee or the like.

Many people Don't like/use square filters. Step down rings can be used but it's better if one could avoid it :)

Many people Don't like/use square filters. Step down rings can be used but it's better if one could avoid it :)

I don't like square filters either, just another jolly glasses that you need to take care of. Round filters of ND and Polariser of 82mm and step down ring will do me good. GND is just a waste to be honest as digital blending is so good nowadays and only take minutes. I'd rather carry less and blend at post.

I see it that step down rings is unavoidable and best solution to the problem so I just get a 77mm filter and then 1 step down ring and not worry about it. and you can't really choose a lens because of a £3 step down ring when there are many other things that takes priority. Filter thread size is way down the list IMO.

For anyone interested, I found that using the A7RIV with Lexar 300MB/s cards took a little while to clear once hitting the buffer, thats about 28 shots.

I decided to buy a Sony Tough 300MB/s card to try and the results are as follows clearing 28 uncompressed RAWs.

Lexar 27 seconds
Sony 18 seconds

So that's a 9 seconds saving in time, but at an extra cost in £'s, I'm happy with the difference.

Question - what tripod are y’all using for travel? Trying to keep the weight down to less than 1.5kg. Opinions?
For a lighter set up I’ve gone with a gitzo GK100T as I got in on offer. It’s basically the 100yr anniversary model that’s identical to the GK1545. There is a Sony edition of that traveller tripod that’s currently a little cheaper at WEX:

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/gitzo...MI55Ou_NKj5AIVF-DtCh1H_gMcEAQYAiABEgK98fD_BwE

They are less than 1.5kg with the head. It’s quite stable, I’ve not yet got out with it up a fell yet (that’s what I bought it for).

@Jase Ive often seen you mention the A7R3 viewfinder to be poor, can I ask why? Does that go for the A73 too as I gather they are quite similar (but not exactly the same).

The A7RIII viewfinder is very low res and I found it far to pixelated to properly judge sharpness/focus for landscapes as it always appeared artificially sharp (dificult to explain but I know what I mean lol). Also colour accuracy wasn't good without a lot of playing around. But it was mainly the low res that I couldn't work with. If you haven't used other EVFs then it may feel fine but compared to the Nikon Z and Fuji X-T3 it was not good. Also and this is more camera than AVF but just as annoying the focus point was Grey and very easy to loose on certain backgrounds in the EVF.

As for the EVF in the A73 that's even worse than the A7RIII, great camera for the price but the EVF is years out of date and I just couldn't put up with that at all.

Last edited:
Question - what tripod are y’all using for travel? Trying to keep the weight down to less than 1.5kg. Opinions?

I use the Gitzo GT2545T, great little tripod, expensive but often get on good deals.

The A7RIII viewfinder is very low res and I found it far to pixelated to properly judge sharpness/focus for landscapes as it always appeared artificially sharp (dificult to explain but I know what I mean lol). I also colour accuracy wasn't good without a lot of playing around. But it was mainly the low res that I couldn't work with. If you haven't used other EVFs then it may feel fine but compared to the Nikon Z and Fuji X-T3 it was not good. Also and this is more camera than AVF but just as annoying the focus point was Grey and very easy to loose on certain backgrounds in the EVF.

As for the EVF in the A73 that's even worse than the A7RIII, great camera for the price but the EVF is years out of date and I just couldn't put up with that at all.

That's the thing…..ignorance is bliss in this case. If I don't see what the A74 looks like then I won't know :D

The EVF is my main complaint with my A7 III, not to the point of doing my head in but it's the one thing I frequently wish was better.

The EVF is my main complaint with my A7 III, not to the point of doing my head in but it's the one thing I frequently wish was better.

My ideal camera is probably a A73 with the EVF off the R4 (wouldn't mind if they fixed a few other niggles of course).

I've been using an R3 for the last 15 hours and while it's not world's apart the EVF does seem to be a decent improvement, I couldn't justify £2k extra for the R4 EVF but at least with the R3 the EVF doesn't feel deficient.

My ideal camera is probably a A73 with the EVF off the R4 (wouldn't mind if they fixed a few other niggles of course).

I've been using an R3 for the last 15 hours and while it's not world's apart the EVF does seem to be a decent improvement, I couldn't justify £2k extra for the R4 EVF but at least with the R3 the EVF doesn't feel deficient.

Yeah I was torn between the A7 III & A9 but couldn't stretch to the A9 really. The R models have never really interested me.

The A7RIII viewfinder is very low res and I found it far to pixelated to properly judge sharpness/focus for landscapes as it always appeared artificially sharp (dificult to explain but I know what I mean lol). Also colour accuracy wasn't good without a lot of playing around. But it was mainly the low res that I couldn't work with. If you haven't used other EVFs then it may feel fine but compared to the Nikon Z and Fuji X-T3 it was not good. Also and this is more camera than AVF but just as annoying the focus point was Grey and very easy to loose on certain backgrounds in the EVF.

Thanks, I don’t have anything to compare it to and will now make sure I don’t try anything else! I’ve not noticed the AF point being grey issue. Next month is the start of the rut so I will be out all of the time so may notice it then.

Haven’t they already said it’s the A6200 and A6700?

It says...

"90% chance of getting the new A6700
90% chance of getting the new A6200 (unsure if that’s the final name)​
90% chance the new A6700 has IBIS​
60% chance the A6700 has same A6400 sensor
60% chance the A6700 has 4k60p recording, more capable battery, same A7rIV EVF, and of course same A7rIV autofocus system​
40% chance of getting the new APS-C lenses (most likely a zoom)​
Possible surprise:

I am 100% sure a THIRD camera will be announced soon too. I suspect it’s coming in September/October and not tomorrow. And this might be the A7sIII. But we can always hope for miracles and we might get it tomorrow.."

how would they fit into the current A6000, A6300, A6400 and A6500 model range? Sony's model naming convention is nearly as confusing as nikons is!

By discontinuing the older models, new line will be A6200, A6400, A6700 and the rest will fall away into the used market. The rumour sites are claiming it's much more than simply an A6400 with IBIS - I would like to see them centre the evf and do a more rugged styled body with beefier grip, that would peak my interest.

how would they fit into the current A6000, A6300, A6400 and A6500 model range? Sony's model naming convention is nearly as confusing as nikons is!

A6200 would be the new entry level APSC and A6700/A7000 the new APSC top end model. I'm not sure Sony can continue to keep all models in production, it's about time the A6000, 6300, 6500 & A7, A7II & A7R2 were discontinued in my opinion, otherwise they run the risk of confusing the hell out of potential customers.

A6200 would be the new entry level APSC and A6700/A7000 the new APSC top end model. I'm not sure Sony can continue to keep all models in production, it's about time the A6000, 6300, 6500 & A7, A7II & A7R2 were discontinued in my opinion, otherwise they run the risk of confusing the hell out of potential customers.

I don't think it's too confusing unless you've had a few... and I suppose only Sony knows if the older models are making enough money to justify keeping them in production. Having worked for companies with large numbers of different products passing through production all I can say is that it can work well.

The A6300 was discontinued a couple of weeks ago. You would imagine the A6500 will go the same way once the new one arrives.

You got 3 x 35mm's now?

I thought I was bad with 2.

No man. Just 2, theres a problem with the Sigma 35mm 1.2 when shooting @1.2 and 100p. Escalated it to Sigma UKs cine manager and hes forwarded it to Japan.

Not paying 1400 notes for something that has a defect. Just have the 35 1.4 and 35 1.8 between the wife and I. Raging tbh as the 1.2 is so nice, maybe if they ever resolve that problem I'll pick it up again

On another note, anyone here fancy selling their 85GM ?

No man. Just 2, theres a problem with the Sigma 35mm 1.2 when shooting @1.2 and 100p. Escalated it to Sigma UKs cine manager and hes forwarded it to Japan.

Not paying 1400 notes for something that has a defect. Just have the 35 1.4 and 35 1.8 between the wife and I. Raging tbh as the 1.2 is so nice, maybe if they ever resolve that problem I'll pick it up again

On another note, anyone here fancy selling their 85GM ?

Aye, that's what we are doing. Although I have started using the 35 f/1.8 for getting ready and the ceremony, then giving it over to the wife for the rest of the day while I use the Siggy. Any weight saving is always welcome. Although I got the 35 f/1.8 with the intention of using it for travelling rather than work.

One does not just sell an 85GM, the best option is to buy multiple unit's just in case you break one. :ROFLMAO:

You should get the 24G.M, its a belter.

Last edited:
16 GM, 35 GM and 50 GM - these would complete the GM lineup nicely. Maybe one day...

I would buy a 35GM if they could get it down to the same sort of size as the 24GM, which I imagine they could as 24mm lenses are generally bigger then 35mm's.

Aye, that's what we are doing. Although I have started using the 35 f/1.8 for getting ready and the ceremony, then giving it over to the wife for the rest of the day while I use the Siggy. Any weight saving is always welcome. Although I got the 35 f/1.8 with the intention of using it for travelling rather than work.

One does not just sell an 85GM, the best option is to buy multiple unit's just in case you break one. :ROFLMAO:

You should get the 24G.M, its a belter.

Lol. I might check it out. I've heard alot of great things about it

The 35 1.8 is a nice bit of glass! The video AF is fantastic.

Lol. I might check it out. I've heard alot of great things about it

The 35 1.8 is a nice bit of glass! The video AF is fantastic.

Yeah the wee 35 isn’t bad at all, but it isn't much good at f/1.4. :ROFLMAO:

Back