The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

What's the difference between the A6500 to the A6600?
As far as I can tell:
- Better auto focus (a6400 already better than a6500) including improved eye AF
- Silent shooting to 8fps
- Screen tilts up 180 degrees
- Higher ISO (assume this from the exanded; expect same as a6400 which is higher than a6500)
- Better battery (uses A9 / A73 battery)
- Improved grip

Mainly looks like they have taken the parts from the a6400 > a6500 and parts from a6500 > a6400 and a few other enhancements and combined them to the a6600.

I think it would have made more sense to name the a6100, the a6200 though for consistency between versions

Last edited:
In that case it looks like a nice camera. Still no change to the dials though.

As far as I can tell:
- Better auto focus (a6400 already better than a6500) including improved eye AF
- Silent shooting to 8fps
- Screen tilts up 180 degrees
- Higher ISO (assume this from the exanded; expect same as a6400 which is higher than a6500)
- Better battery (uses A9 / A73 battery)
- Improved grip

Mainly looks like they have taken the parts from the a6400 > a6500 and parts from a6500 > a6400 and a few other enhancements and combined them to the a6600.

I think it would have made more sense to name the a6100, the a6200 though for consistency between versions

So confusing....so it's like the Baby between A6500 (came first) then A6400 ?

I almost bought an A6500 last week as a spare.

So confusing....so it's like the Baby between A6500 (came first) then A6400 ?

I almost bought an A6500 last week as a spare.
Yes the problem was more the a6400. This came after the a6500 and had some improvements over the a6500 but some missing parts where a6500 >a6400. Hence a6600 replacing the a6500 effectively fixes this.

So now a6600 > a6400 > a6100. So if you buy the supposed better model you wont be missing any features (which wasnt the case with the a6500)

Good to see that Sony have eventually released an f/2.8 zoom that people seem to have been wanting for a long time for apsc.

It's here !

DQ87yEC.jpg

It's here !

DQ87yEC.jpg

You got one eventually then.

I really like this lens, it is small a.f is reasonably quick and accurate and its very sharp especially at the wider end.

It's very good on the dance floor, well I find it is as I like a wide lens for that,

You got one eventually then.

I really like this lens, it is small a.f is reasonably quick and accurate and its very sharp especially at the wider end.

It's very good on the dance floor, well I find it is as I like a wide lens for that,

Yeah, I am almost done now, I have everything covered from 17mm to 105mm. I would like the 28-75mm and the 70-200/2.8. Then I can't see myself needing anything else.

I am going to take it to Ireland tomorrow and test it out.

Good to see that Sony have eventually released an f/2.8 zoom that people seem to have been wanting for a long time for apsc.

Wait a while and we'll see the complaints... It's too expensive! It's the size of a DSLR lens! It's crap!

I can hardly wait :D

Question - what tripod are y’all using for travel? Trying to keep the weight down to less than 1.5kg. Opinions?

Rollei Compact Traveler No. 1 - Ultra-lightweight travel tripod
It's fantastic for the money.
980g
33cm packed size
I paid £80 for it.

I just couldn't see any good reason to get anything else for the increase in cost.

Last edited:
He he, I also found M6 II package intrigued but will hold out for their 5DsR ML replacement. Please make this happen sooner! Ops posting this wish on Sony thread :p:ROFLMAO:

The 5Dsr sensor is terribad. I hope its replacement is at least on level of previous gen Sony's :p

Rollei Compact Traveler No. 1 - Ultra-lightweight travel tripod
It's fantastic for the money.
980g
33cm packed size
I paid £80 for it.

I just couldn't see any good reason to get anything else for the increase in cost.

Does the centre column come down...?

Does the centre column come down...?
No but they do do one that is slightly heavier and larger packed size that does. For me it's not an issue I wanted absolutely the lightest and smallest for under £100.

Here you go, actually a bargain for £70.
Rollei Traveler Carbon Tripod I Orange I Camera Tripod I Travel Tripod with ball head incl. Monopod Arca-Swiss quick release plate Tripod bag 148.5 cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JDRLVVT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_rGMzDbHA2DVZN

Last edited:
The 5Dsr sensor is terribad. I hope its replacement is at least on level of previous gen Sony's :p

I begged to differ in your 5DsR sensor coming from me who still owns and not selling it for A7RIII :p

A7RIV is tempted but I'm waiting for 5DsR replacement and see what they can do with this new replacement. With recently announced M6II I see Canon is upping their ante on their next ML offering. On the other note, this is also due to the holy trinity Canon announced recently :D

The focal range is backwards on the Tamron...I saw 28mm on the left and wondered if they sent me the 28-75mm in error!

I knew that but forgot for a second and it really threw me.

Already put a B+W filter on it. :)

No but they do do one that is slightly heavier and larger packed size that does. For me it's not an issue I wanted absolutely the lightest and smallest for under £100.

Here you go, actually a bargain for £70.
Rollei Traveler Carbon Tripod I Orange I Camera Tripod I Travel Tripod with ball head incl. Monopod Arca-Swiss quick release plate Tripod bag 148.5 cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JDRLVVT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_rGMzDbHA2DVZN

Fair enough - but i'm happy to pay more for something a little more stable, tbh. I know i'd grow tired with 10sec timers on each shot. Think i'm gonna go for the Leofoto 254CT. As far as the tests go, it's competing with Gitzo's 3x the price when it comes to stability. I can get with that! :D

I begged to differ in your 5DsR sensor coming from me who still owns and not selling it for A7RIII :p

A7RIV is tempted but I'm waiting for 5DsR replacement and see what they can do with this new replacement. With recently announced M6II I see Canon is upping their ante on their next ML offering. On the other note, this is also due to the holy trinity Canon announced recently :D

You may beg all you want but facts don't change. that sensor is from the last decade. Terrible dynamic range and terrible ISO performance. I am all for high megapixels but quality of pixels matter as much as the quantity. Canon only has quantity.

You may beg all you want but facts don't change. that sensor is from the last decade. Terrible dynamic range and terrible ISO performance. I am all for high megapixels but quality of pixels matter as much as the quantity. Canon only has quantity.

They are not terrible just not as good as Sony sensors (y)

They are not terrible just not as good as Sony sensors (y)

No seriously it's terrible lol.

Base dynamic range can't even match A6000. Native ISO of 6400 max. It really was the worst FF sensor of its time. In comparison A7Rii which came out around similar time seemed like two generations ahead.

Last edited:
Wait a while and we'll see the complaints... It's too expensive! It's the size of a DSLR lens! It's crap!

I can hardly wait :D

Don't know about cost but its supposed to be the smallest, lightest native lens ever made in that focal length.

Well, my accountant confirmed what I suspected...the sale of my Canon stuff will attract your regular earnings tax, unless I re-invest it in equipment.

Of course I can't just buy crap for crap sake but it is almost like a licence to spend money.

New computer? 70-200?! Something that will hold value......Instead of giving a couple of thousands to the taxman I might as well keep it myself.

Well, my accountant confirmed what I suspected...the sale of my Canon stuff will attract your regular earnings tax, unless I re-invest it in equipment.

Of course I can't just buy crap for crap sake but it is almost like a licence to spend money.

New computer? 70-200?! Something that will hold value......Instead of giving a couple of thousands to the taxman I might as well keep it myself.

Can you not use it to offset what you’ve already purchased?

Can you not use it to offset what you’ve already purchased?

Only in this tax year.

And in this tax year I think I have bought:-

Tamron 17-28 £900
Sigma 105 £1300
Godox QT400II £450
Godox V-1 x 2 £300
Godox 860II £200 (or something)
Sony 90mm Macro (£800)
Godox Battery
SD cards

That totals to £4k thereabouts.

So I have a tax liability of 20% of £3000. Which means If I buy a A7R4 that would wipe all that out but of all the things, that is the most heavy depreciating asset, as opposed to a lens.

Only in this tax year.

And in this tax year I think I have bought:-

Tamron 17-28 £900
Sigma 105 £1300
Godox QT400II £450
Godox V-1 x 2 £300
Godox 860II £200 (or something)
Sony 90mm Macro (£800)
Godox Battery
SD cards

That totals to £4k thereabouts.

So I have a tax liability of 20% of £3000. Which means If I buy a A7R4 that would wipe all that out but of all the things, that is the most heavy depreciating asset, as opposed to a lens.

I see, very true. Tough call.

Fair enough - but i'm happy to pay more for something a little more stable, tbh. I know i'd grow tired with 10sec timers on each shot. Think i'm gonna go for the Leofoto 254CT. As far as the tests go, it's competing with Gitzo's 3x the price when it comes to stability. I can get with that! :D

I haven't found it unstable. When it's windy I just tend to hang something from the base the camera bag for instance.
I rarely use it fully extended though so it might be a factor then I suppose.

No seriously it's terrible lol.

Base dynamic range can't even match A6000. Native ISO of 6400 max. It really was the worst FF sensor of its time. In comparison A7Rii which came out around similar time seemed like two generations ahead.

Looks like we just have to agree to the disagreement on the "terrible" sensor of 5DsR :)

Sigma 35mm f1.2
A7RIV

Or just buy the 600mm f4 prime :D

I see, very true. Tough call.

The best thing would be something like a used Leica lens, that never loses value and get one used. Then the money would get tied up in that piece of glass, and one that I won't get a good used out of.

I think the best value is to get a used A7R3 and 70-200/2.8. I have 7 months to spend this...

Last edited:
Back