The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I sometimes price my UK sourced used lens more than new grey lens. If people want to partake in tax avoidance that's up to them but I am not matching that.
To me that's like saying I can steal the lens from next door at cost of a lock pick so should I now sell my lens for price of a lock pick :p

I think your analogy is a bit too silly as that's clearly theft not tax avoidance but apart from that... I try to price stuff to sell and I do look at new and grey prices first.

Being all moral on tax is all well and good but I've come to accept that many people just don't care and that seems to be a sad fact when people will moan about the NHS, teachers wages and all the rest. Even ignoring the grey market if used kit is within a certain percentage of new uk kit that's in stock and easily available I don't see the point in buying the used kit.

You can put whatever price you desire on gear or anything you're selling - it's only worth what people are willing to pay in the end. The onus is on the buyer to get the better deal, do the research, haggle etc... I agree though, some people put used stuff up for silly prices and refuse to budge. You see them re-posting it months later for a bit less, stubborn, refusing to lose on what they paid, but not getting anywhere.
I seldom buy from people that aren't willing to negotiate, this includes camera shops.

I seldom buy from people that aren't willing to negotiate, this includes camera shops.

Same here. It's born into us Irish to haggle, we don't see any price as set in stone. I think most sellers allow some haggle room, or they should do! The ones that don't budge an inch after over pricing end up not selling. Like I said, stubbornness, it's a trait that some carry

I think your analogy is a bit too silly as that's clearly theft not tax avoidance but apart from that... I try to price stuff to sell and I do look at new and grey prices first.

Being all moral on tax is all well and good but I've come to accept that many people just don't care and that seems to be a sad fact when people will moan about the NHS, teachers wages and all the rest. Even ignoring the grey market if used kit is within a certain percentage of new uk kit that's in stock and easily available I don't see the point in buying the used kit.

Tax avoidance is as illegal as stealing last time I checked. Also both acts are immoral. Where ones conscious lies is up to them and not for me judge.

I sell and buy no problem. Anyone that knows me will know I go through a fair amount of lenses.

You can put whatever price you desire on gear or anything you're selling - it's only worth what people are willing to pay in the end. The onus is on the buyer to get the better deal, do the research, haggle etc... I agree though, some people put used stuff up for silly prices and refuse to budge. You see them re-posting it months later for a bit less, stubborn, refusing to lose on what they paid, but not getting anywhere.

Yup.

In the past when I sold my dslr kit I sold some at a profit but that was only because I bought before the prices went up and that lucky for me situation is the exception rather than the rule and most of the time I'd expect new kit prices to drop from day 1 it's bought, a bit like cars really. It's sad but unless the kit is hard to get hold of I'd expect quite a saving buying used.

I'm not to sure about that. Sometimes a shop will give a better PX than the classifieds and it saves all the haggling, which can be over £5-10
It depends on how much someone wants something. I saw an item sell a few weeks ago for a few quid less than the price paid.

Tax avoidance is as illegal as stealing last time I checked. Also both acts are immoral. Where ones conscious lies is up to them and not for me judge.

I sell and buy no problem. Anyone that knows me will know I go through a fair amount of lenses.
If you think entering someones house and stealing kit is the same as buying grey then all I can say is we have a different outlook but maybe you're right.

Personally I try to price stuff to sell pretty quickly. I may get it wrong but a 5 minute check on evil bay and the usual on line new and used sellers usually gives a clue and all I'm saying is that some postings seem to be.... rather hopeful with the prices... imo.

Yes it's up to the seller to post a price and yes the buyer can walk away.

If you think entering someones house and stealing kit is the same as buying grey then all I can say is we have a different outlook but maybe you're right.

Personally I try to price stuff to sell pretty quickly. I may get it wrong but a 5 minute check on evil bay and the usual on line new and used sellers usually gives a clue and all I'm saying is that some postings seem to be.... rather hopeful with the prices... imo.

Yes it's up to the seller to post a price and yes the buyer can walk away.

Didn't say they were quite the same. But law has something to say about both of them ;)

My pricing varies from place to place. It's on the lower side on this forum and higher on eBay. I try to pass on any saving on this forum because I feel a moral obligation to do so since I benefit from it myself. I see no such obligation on evilbay for example.

Sadly sales here have slowed down but I can normally get stuff sold in eBay quickly.

Last edited:
Same here. It's born into us Irish to haggle, we don't see any price as set in stone. I think most sellers allow some haggle room, or they should do! The ones that don't budge an inch after over pricing end up not selling. Like I said, stubbornness, it's a trait that some carry
Same here, it's in the blood :D

I sometimes price my UK sourced used lens more than new grey lens. If people want to partake in tax avoidance that's up to them but I am not matching that.
To me that's like saying I can steal the lens from next door at cost of a lock pick so should I now sell my lens for price of a lock pick :p
Buying grey is not illegal. Stealing is.

If a UK item is £1200 and the grey equivalent is roughly £200 cheaper. What price is reasonable for a UK secondhand item ?

I suppose I shouldn't just buy stuff because I want it.

I give to good causes and I can afford stuff but buying stuff just for the sake of having a new toy to play with a few times a year does still seem a bit selfish.

I suppose I shouldn't just buy stuff because I want it.

I give to good causes and I can afford stuff but buying stuff just for the sake of having a new toy to play with a few times a year does still seem a bit selfish.

Considering the amount of lenses you own at the same focal length, I wouldn't say it seems to concern you too much.

It's your hard earned money, do what you please with it - selfish or not.

If a UK item is £1200 and the grey equivalent is roughly £200 cheaper. What price is reasonable for a UK secondhand item ?

I'd probably undercut the grey cost by quite a bit if I spotted it. I probably wouldn't buy used just to save £100 or so on a £1k or so item, it'd probably just buy new but I understand that to some people saving £100 on a £1k item by buying used is enough of a saving. There's guarantees to take into account too.

Considering the amount of lenses you own at the same focal length, I wouldn't say it seems to concern you too much.

It's your hard earned money, do what you please with it - selfish or not.

Most of the lenses I own are council house lenses bought for the sort of price my Mrs would pay for a new top or coat she likes but doesn't really need. Sort of pocket money buys and therefore sort of justifiable.

That may not mske sense but it's just the way I grew up, not spending much on myself... other than cars which I've spent waaaay too much on :D

I'm not to sure about that. Sometimes a shop will give a better PX than the classifieds and it saves all the haggling, which can be over £5-10
It depends on how much someone wants something. I saw an item sell a few weeks ago for a few quid less than the price paid.

In cases like that it's pretty simple just trade it in - it seems like some sellers don't want to do that, and they expect to get close to what they paid for gear they've used for years..

Most of the lenses I own are council house lenses bought for the sort of price my Mrs would pay for a new top or coat she likes but doesn't really need. Sort of pocket money buys and therefore sort of justifiable.

That may not mske sense but it's just the way I grew up, not spending much on myself... other than cars which I've spent waaaay too much on :D

Council house primes are the best! I keep meaning to get me some more but I'm lazy on the research side - it does take some work to get the better ones. But nothing beats a steal, getting a really nice copy of an old cheap vintage lens can often feel better than splurging your wad on an over priced lens just because it has AF and is in trend.

I see no point in paying a premium for a used UK supplied product, especially when the warranty is usually finished or getting close to being. Brand spanking new grey is always preferable to me. Camera shops seem to not care too when you trade equipment in whether it's was originally UK supplied or not (why would they when it's the exact same product?).

Last edited:
I'd probably undercut the grey cost by quite a bit if I spotted it. I probably wouldn't buy used just to save £100 or so on a £1k or so item, it'd probably just buy new but I understand that to some people saving £100 on a £1k item by buying used is enough of a saving. There's guarantees to take into account too.
Well to lose more than £500 pounds on a UK bought item is a little harsh in my opinion.

In cases like that it's pretty simple just trade it in - it seems like some sellers don't want to do that, and they expect to get close to what they paid for gear they've used for years..
I dont agree, in my opinion its not unreasonable to try and obtain more than a shop will give you PX, lets face it the shop will make a tidy sum. Buyers should also have a little more respect on here instead of resorting to their sometimes pathetic bartering skills to save the price of a pint of beer. Pretty embarrassing really. :ROFLMAO:
As previously stated in the thread "the classifieds have slowed down here" its no wonder if the seller is going to get an ear bashing in the classifieds and in additional threads like this.

Anyone use a soft accessory bag to keep small items in within their bag?

Been looking on Amazon etc & I'm getting nowhere & it's driving me nuts!

Something similar to the removable zipped section at the top of my Lowepro backpacks but needs to be larger.

needs to hold 5-6 circular filters, few batteries, cheap wired remote, lens caps.....

I’ve got a spare zippable case from a Flipside 400 if it’s of any use?

Depends on the item :)
For example the my previous copy of 24GM sold for £1300. The new in UK is/was £1449 and grey around £1250.
I did get a person or two trying to beat me down on the price with quoting grey prices.
That was a new lens which was sometimes hard to source locally.
If the lens was older I imagine the price would drop to £1000 and I imagine grey prices may also drop a little by that point to £1100-1200

Last edited:
Well to lose more than £500 pounds on a UK bought item is a little harsh in my opinion.

I dont agree, in my opinion its not unreasonable to try and obtain more than a shop will give you PX, lets face it the shop will make a tidy sum. Buyers should also have a little more respect on here instead of resorting to their sometimes pathetic bartering skills to save the price of a pint of beer. Pretty embarrassing really. :ROFLMAO:
As previously stated in the thread "the classifieds have slowed down here" its no wonder if the seller is going to get an ear bashing in the classifieds and in additional threads like this.

Have to agree with this quoting MPB as a price is reaching a bit, they offer far under the used market price then sell higher. Yes you get a 3 or 6month warranty but I’m sure 90% won’t have issues anyway.
It’s not as if they actually service them they just spot check it.

Depends on the item :)
For example the my previous copy of 24GM sold for £1300. The new in UK is/was £1449 and grey around £1250.
I did get a person or two trying to beat me down on the price with quoting grey prices.
That's a new lens which was sometimes hard to source locally.
If the lens was older I imagine the price would drop to £1000 and I imagine grey prices may also drop a little by that point to £1100-1200

Your lucky your selling Sony kit and it’s at a premium because everyone is jumping to Sony.
Wait a few years and if the Tide turns and you need to sell I’m sure you wouldn’t be so happy selling.

Nikon kit you would be lucky to get 800 for a 1400uk/1200 grey

Your lucky your selling Sony kit and it’s at a premium because everyone is jumping to Sony.
Wait a few years and if the Tide turns and you need to sell I’m sure you wouldn’t be so happy selling.

Nikon kit you would be lucky to get 800 for a 1400uk/1200 grey

Wouldn't affect me hugely. Unlike people who keep their lenses around for a long time hence suffer from depreciation, I buy and sell regularly. So in the space between me buying (mostly used) and selling something the difference isn't much. The small differences is lot cheaper than renting. 70% cases I don't lose anything.

Last edited:
No good photos from my trip out this morning but I did get to see the meteorite at 0545 this morning. Anyone else see it?

View: https://BANNED/ukmeteornetwork/status/1170606662073376768?s=21

Yes it is but it's a fact of life and related to supply and demand.

I could pay the used seller their asking price, haggle but that doesn't always work and is draining or I could have the postie knocking at my door tomorrow with a new one for just 10% more or even in some cases 10% less.

I suppose it's a quandary we all have to wrestle with.

Why? If you've paid tax on something there's no reason when you sell it you should have to undercut a tax free price. If someone wants to buy grey, they're probably going to do it regardless.
That's fine if you are selling on here, have bought new and have the original receipt etc that you can provide to a buyer.

If not then it might as well be grey as the purchaser has no evidence. For example if you are purchasing from MPB etc you have no proof that its UK or grey etc (as they seem less bothered more recently whether its grey or not - they used to be fairly strict but no longer are).

Hence unless a seller can provide all paperwork then naturally a buyer would price 2nd hand less than grey new prices.

Why? If you've paid tax on something there's no reason when you sell it you should have to undercut a tax free price. If someone wants to buy grey, they're probably going to do it regardless.

It’s definitely a difficult one. If you've checked prices of UK new, used sellers like MPB and other private used sales why the need to price it against grey buyers too? The problem is you could have an item that’s practically near new condition then have to sell it for around 50% of UK new price to be way below grey prices like some want it to be.

I know some will say ‘but you can buy it grey for £x’ but they should just buy it from that grey seller rather than waste time trying to buy used as they probably aren’t interested anyway. It’s like the people who make an offer then withdraw once you have accept it as that offer becomes your new asking price and subsequent offers are made below that price.

Selling on here has gone downhill so much in the last few years that it’s become not worth the time and hassle selling on here. Anyways the classifieds are a mess now.

I never said you should use a shop's trade in price to sell, but if you're not willing to haggle a little and just need to get moving that option is there. It still comes down to the fact it's only worth what someone is willing to pay. If you wait long enough they might crack, but that can take months. Up to you how much the wait is worth

Why?

To get a hassle free sale and get it over with and gone.

I’ve got a spare zippable case from a Flipside 400 if it’s of any use?

Thanks for the offer but it's okay. I'm hovering over the buy button for an Osprey Kamber 42 now. I used the Manfrotto hiking bag this morning and I just can't handle the awkward side access personally - everything fits but it's not organised enough for my liking :ROFLMAO:

Kamber is rear opening so just need an ICU for it then.

That's fine if you are selling on here, have bought new and have the original receipt etc that you can provide to a buyer.

If not then it might as well be grey as the purchaser has no evidence. For example if you are purchasing from MPB etc you have no proof that its UK or grey etc (as they seem less bothered more recently whether its grey or not - they used to be fairly strict but no longer are).

Hence unless a seller can provide all paperwork then naturally a buyer would price 2nd hand less than grey new prices.

It's vanishingly rare that anyone will ever ask for an original receipt but my main point was with used equipment you don't look to tax free prices or a special warehouse clear out price (etc) as the basis for yours, you base it on whatever the market will reasonably tolerate (assuming you want to get a good price rather than an easy sale), e.g. if someone were to tell me they could buy something from the USA and evade tax on it so I should lower my prices I would simply wish them good luck with their endeavor.

Most people don't think about tax (I've always assumed that was the point of how VAT has been implemented) so I would guess the majority of grey purchases are done innocently, especially as there's a lot of businesses who do their best not to make it clear where the items are coming from these days but if we take this argument to its logical extreme doesn't it mean there's no reason to buy new in most of the EU? You're usually going to be able to find something cheaper when you don't pay tax, new or used.

Selling on here is one thing but given how easy it is to sell internationally again I see no reason you should lower your prices because a few people might have a massively lower price, there will be other people who don't or can't.

at least with Sony lenses you can tell to a good accuracy if something is UK/EU copy or grey import. (Don't ask about post-Brexit implications)
AFAIK all the lenses have Sony EU importer label (with their address in Belgium) on them (this label can peel and fall off with enough use, has happened to me in past with FE35/2.8, FE55/1.8 and currently the sticker on my 24-105mm is slowly getting less sticky).

Last edited:
Some from my wander round Hampstead Heath today. Sony A7 and some old Olympus primes (either 35mm shift or 135mm):

Leslie 7 by Ian, on Flickr

Leslie 6 by Ian, on Flickr

3. Leslie 4 by Ian, on Flickr

Leslie 2 by Ian, on Flickr

Thanks for looking
Looks good, I always struggle photographing woods. There are always the odd branch thats in the way or looks out of place. The old saying 'can't see wood for the trees' is quite apt with me!

Back