The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

What do you find terrible?

Many little things really. The menu system is shocking, I know some people will say you get used it etc but with so many things hidden deep within menus it's frustrating trying to find what you want quickly. Initial magnification is too close, you can change to last zoom but then it remembers any change you make afterwards. Focus peaking falls to bits in low light unless there is a lot of contrast, actually I find AF in low light not great at all. Rear screens are terrible. No illuminated buttons for working at night. Bluetooth drains batteries (or at least it seems to). Still using SD cards. Actually the list could go on, so I wont :)

Many little things really. The menu system is shocking, I know some people will say you get used it etc but with so many things hidden deep within menus it's frustrating trying to find what you want quickly. Initial magnification is too close, you can change to last zoom but then it remembers any change you make afterwards. Focus peaking falls to bits in low light unless there is a lot of contrast, actually I find AF in low light not great at all. Rear screens are terrible. No illuminated buttons for working at night. Bluetooth drains batteries (or at least it seems to). Still using SD cards. Actually the list could go on, so I wont :)

Not one thing you mentioned is an issue for me. You should just get rid and get something else.

Only issue of those I've had is menu system and things being "hidden". Therefore is I find a setting I'm using often I'll just add it to the custom menu. Then I only ever have to go to the custom menu (unless there is a new setting I want to use and will then again add to the custom menu and use from there going forwards)

The reason I ask is I've been using the Sony System exclusively for the last month or so (still have my Nikon and Fuji system) and although the Sony system is great at somethings in many others it's terrible.

The advantage Sony have at the moment is they have a great selection of lenses and great AF with the likes of Eye AF. However I feel that if you take those factors away the system is really not that good, certainly not from a usability point for me anyway and not in many other areas.

We all have different things that are essential. For me, the key things are some of the best dynamic range available, eye-AF, flip-out rear screen (quality seems as good as anything from Nikon's previous generation) and a decent level of control over the picture-making process. The lenses seem good but about 1.5-2X as expensive as they should be. There's nothing that's terrible about it *for me*, though there's a few things that could be substantially better.

I'm just wondering, for all those who have jumped ship from the likes of Canon and Nikon etc if you would jump ship again when they release their next Gen/have more native lenses?

The reason I ask is I've been using the Sony System exclusively for the last month or so (still have my Nikon and Fuji system) and although the Sony system is great at somethings in many others it's terrible.

The advantage Sony have at the moment is they have a great selection of lenses and great AF with the likes of Eye AF. However I feel that if you take those factors away the system is really not that good, certainly not from a usability point for me anyway and not in many other areas.

I needed a FF mirrorless system and the Sony is presently the best option, however do I enjoy using it.... no not really, unlike the Fuji which makes you enjoy the process of taking photos the Sony is completely the opposite for me and the Sony does not have many of the little things that make the D850 so good. Yes the end result is OK but the process of getting it no so.

Anyway I guess it's going to be a good couple of years before there is a good alternative so may as well get used to it but interested to hear what others honestly think.
Right OK you say you don't enjoy shooting which is subjective and abstract. Can't help you there. May be Sony will never be fun for you.

If you want to talk objectively what exactly is your issue? You don't seem to mention any....

p.s. I have a huge list of issues with Sony and a lot of them I have banged on about on this thread. If some other brands fixed these issues and Nikon gets close on bodies I'd swap.

Fuji I find more annoying to use than Sony tbh.

Right OK you say you don't enjoy shooting which is subjective and abstract. Can't help you there. May be Sony will never be fun for you.

If you want to talk objectively what exactly is your issue? You don't seem to mention any....

p.s. I have a huge list of issues with Sony and a lot of them I have banged on about on this thread. If some other brands fixed these issues and Nikon gets close on bodies I'd swap.

Fuji I find more annoying to use than Sony tbh.

Fuji files are awful in post ime. Don't mind the cameras and lenses are nice.

Last edited:
Fuji files are awful in post ime. Don't mind the cameras and lenses are nice.
Don't like the the EVF, and some prime lenses are god awful slow to focus.
And for those that think Sony menus are bad try setting up a X-T3 for good tracking performance. It can it do and do it well but setting it up is not nice.

Last edited:
Dunno is argument is the right word... maybe just people stating a view the hold clearly :D and it's all welcome here surely :D
To be honest I think I'm much more likely to go for the Panasonic 100-400mm than anything for my A7 if only because the MFT stuff is smaller.

The Pana-Leica 100-400 is a fine lens, going on the results from the lads in both the Pany and Oly threads.

Most of those issues are also apparent on other camera systems imo

The Pana-Leica 100-400 is a fine lens, going on the results from the lads in both the Pany and Oly threads.
Indeed. Looks like a really good lens. My only concern is the f6.3 on a m43 body in low light which in UK is not uncommon with many overcast skies.

For someone willing to spend the money an oly 300mm f4 with a TC might be a nicer solution.

Last edited:
Don't like the the EVF, and some prime lenses are god awful slow to focus.
And for those that think Sony menus are bad try setting up a X-T3 for good tracking performance. It can it do and do it well but setting it up is not nice.

Some (my favs) are slow to AF.

Yes it is but I tight and have a problem paying for one.

I might one day as I've always wanted a long lens for moon and bird shots and that lens would do those things well and it has good close up possibilities too. Any equivalent lens for just about any FF system is going to be the size of a bazooka and expensive.

Indeed. Looks like a really good lens. My only concern is the f6.3 on a m43 body in low light which in UK is not uncommon with many overcast skies.

For someone willing to spend the money an oly 300mm f4 with a TC might be a nicer solution.

Yup, f6.3 is going to be limiting for low light use but it'll very probably be perfectly ok for many daylight pictures of birds and squirrels and ISO 16k is ok on MFT after processing, for whole pictures anyway if not for pixel peeping. Moon pictures shouldn't be an issue as the thing is quite bright. Plus it has that close up ability which most longer zooms wont have.

Last edited:
There is a 200-600mm advertised in sales :eek:
I was just about to link to that.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...00mm-f5-6-6-3-g-oss-lens.701616/#post-8524546

Regarding the 200-600 and 100-400 I guess it depends what you want. If it’s 600mm then it’s the 200-600, if it’s lighter weight then it’s the 100-400. It’s just personal preference and what fits your needs best.

After having a Nikon 200-400 f4 I’m enjoying the lighter weight and smaller form of the 100-400.

I've taken the view that for those who do not have the 100-400 the 200-600 represents an excellent opportunity to get into long lens Sony photography at a good price.
For me, who already has the 100-400 and TC, I can't see the point.

V6 is out - https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/e-mount-body-ilce-9-series/ilce-9/downloads/00016362

Benefits and Improvements from the latest update
IMPORTANT: For customers updating the ILCE-9 from firmware Ver. 4.10 or earlier, please review the benefits and changes before performing the update.

• Adds real-time Eye AF for animals
    NOTES:
    • This function can be used simultaneously with tracking.
    • Eye detection may not be possible, depending on the environment, animal type or the movement of the animal.
    • It is not possible to simultaneously detect human and animal eyes.
      Please see the Support sitefor details.
  • Addition of the interval shooting function
  • Allows the operation with the wireless remote commander RMT-P1BT [sold separately]
  • Other improvements:
    • [Focus Frame Color] can be selected.
    • "My Menu" can be assigned to appear first when you press the MENU button.
  • Improves the overall stability of the camera

Fingers crossed.
I could see the A7iii getting it as it’s the current body but now the A7riv is out maybe it’s not so clear cut for the A7Riii. I’m hoping the two are so close that’s its easy to do. Saying that I wonder if there is a reason why the mk1 and mk2 series can’t be updated either? Last weekend was the first time I’ve really noticed the issue of a grey af point.

I was just about to link to that.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...00mm-f5-6-6-3-g-oss-lens.701616/#post-8524546

Regarding the 200-600 and 100-400 I guess it depends what you want. If it’s 600mm then it’s the 200-600, if it’s lighter weight then it’s the 100-400. It’s just personal preference and what fits your needs best.

After having a Nikon 200-400 f4 I’m enjoying the lighter weight and smaller form of the 100-400.

Indeed. 100-400mm also focuses close which is a plus. And with 1.4x TC you get her close to 0.5x magnification with loads of working distance which is nice for larger insects macro work.

I've taken the view that for those who do not have the 100-400 the 200-600 represents an excellent opportunity to get into long lens Sony photography at a good price.
For me, who already has the 100-400 and TC, I can't see the point.

The 200-600mm has greater reach and faster aperture. Also has some small but nice features like does not extend, an extra stabilization mode for erratic subjects, shorter throw for zooming in and out.
100-400mm has slightly faster AF at 400mm and slightly more light at 400mm.
I found myself using 100-400mm mostly with 1.4x at which point I felt 200-600 was a better choice for me.

There is no right or wrong answer of course. Horses for courses.

Last edited:

The 100-400 has really nice magnification for a tele lens at 1:4 and gets in closer than most in that range too. It's very good for the likes of butterflies and dragonflies, as seen in the Pany and Oly threads. It would be nice if it were 5.6 at 400 but what has also been proven in those threads that M43 is nowhere near as shabby as people imagine for higher ISO wildlife. There's examples in those threads shot upwards of 4K ISO, with a little clean up they stand up well. But I hear you on the weather, in general here in Southern Ireland we get it a little worse than you in the UK and an F4 lens would be much more suitable. But the 300mm is expensive, especially if you want the TC on top

The 100-400 has really nice magnification for a tele lens at 1:4 and gets in closer than most in that range too. It's very good for the likes of butterflies and dragonflies, as seen in the Pany and Oly threads. It would be nice if it were 5.6 at 400 but what has also been proven in those threads that M43 is nowhere near as shabby as people imagine for higher ISO wildlife. There's examples in those threads shot upwards of 4K ISO, with a little clean up they stand up well. But I hear you on the weather, in general here in Southern Ireland we get it a little worse than you in the UK in general and an F4 lens would be much more suitable. But the 300mm is expensive, especially if you want the TC on top
Morning. Kissed and made up with others here now? ;)

You're a rebel. Is it true you used to own a D800E ?

Just can't be doing with gobsheens, I do realise I'm irresistible but I have to draw the line some place :p

I wonder who the other one Ray has on ignore is? I mean I don't care he's got nothing useful to me either way

Probably owned a 5dsr as well

Never owned a Canon actually, lenses yes, cameras no. Could change any time though.

The real hilarious part here is that aperture jnr has mentioned the D800E WAY more times than I ever have , obsessed he is :nikon::LOL:

Last edited:
Back