The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Watching the world athletics and as usual, it’s wall to wall of canon shooters. Struggling to spot anything else. Wonder whether Sony are going to really impact their monopoly in the sports arena.

On a related note, E-Infinity have the 6100 priced higher than the 6400
There’s £4 difference so not huge, although it would make sense if there is a UK price across the board down to £800 for the A6400 (A6100 at £829).

I’m still interested in one of these in the future. The question will be which meets my needs best. I’ve not looked up the differences between the two. It will definitely need the animal eye AF and silent shutter which the know the A6400 has.

Watching the world athletics and as usual, it’s wall to wall of canon shooters. Struggling to spot anything else. Wonder whether Sony are going to really impact their monopoly in the sports arena.

They don't seem to be making much head way in the sports industry.

Where I have seen a huge increase is with the press.

I have some involvement with a local charity who is currently involved in an issue which has been covered by all of the local press and some of the national press. It surprised me to see so many Sony camera's around at the press conferences so they are definetly making head way there as even a couple of years ago you would never have seen a Sony camera there. What surprised me more was the t.v companies, our local t.v companies arrived out with big monster sized camera's where as when we did the interview for national t.v they arrived out with smaller Sony e-mount video cameras, I think they where FX9's and a couple of what looked like A7SII's.

I shoot into the sun a lot but it’s the first time I’ve come across it. I may try turning off the compression.

Makes no difference from what I've found, I shoot uncompressed and have had the issue a couple of times, it just seems to do with the angle the light hits the sensor

A question ,I have customized a few buttons on my A7rIV so it's set how i want,can I save these settings ? so if say i did a reset I don't have to go through resetting all the buttons again .
Rob.

A question ,I have customized a few buttons on my A7rIV so it's set how i want,can I save these settings ? so if say i did a reset I don't have to go through resetting all the buttons again .
Rob.

too sensible an idea for Sony. Please try again :p

Rob.

Yes you can with the A7RIV you can save all your settings to the memory card. Only the A7RIV and the A9II can do this.

It also lets you move the settings to another camera, well another A7RIV.

Last edited:
Many thanks, have now saved to my memory card and put a copy to my computer too :)
Rob.

Yes you can with the A7RIV you can save all your settings to the memory card. Only the A7RIV and the A9II can do this.

It also lets you move the settings to another camera, well another A7RIV.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Next you'll be telling me you can now update firmware via. SD card

Yesterday’s wedding was good fun

I had a wedding a few weeks back and the groom asked for a photo with all of his mates outside the venue.

They were all hammered and one guy for a laugh (I assume) stuck the lips on one of the other lads who then sparked him right out.

Ooooh that looks right up my street. Was always an under-rated lens with little take up.
How snappy is the af on the a73?

Snappy as in fast and accurate? No complaints there, tracking a moving subject however is not great. Portraits, perched or seated animals/kids etc are where I intend to use this mostly and it's very fast and accurate to focus on the MC-11

Wasn't that the lens Cagey was mentioning a few pages back?

Yes I asked if people thought Sony would make an equivalent of the Canon lens. Discussion continued on how good the Canon one is, one wanted ad in the classifieds later and .......:)

Last edited:
Snappy as in fast and accurate? No complaints there, tracking a moving subject however is not great. Portraits, perched or seated animals/kids etc are where I intend to use this mostly and it's very fast and accurate to focus on the MC-11

That would be my usage too. The A7’s focus reliability I’m certain would get the best out of some of these lenses.

That would be my usage too. The A7’s focus reliability I’m certain would get the best out of some of these lenses.

I regularly visit a local zoo/animal park and think this lens is going to be very handy for that too.

£247 repair to fix the decentering on my 35mm F1.4

Wasn't decentered when I got it, but has developed it.

Might just sell it when it comes back and by the 1.8.

£247 repair to fix the decentering on my 35mm F1.4

Wasn't decentered when I got it, but has developed it.

Might just sell it when it comes back and by the 1.8.

That is actually not to bad Andy, it's a while back but I posted a receipt from another photographer in this thread to fix the decentering issue on the Zeiss 35 and from memory it was nearly 1k. There are two issues that can cause the decentering on these lenses, looks you have been lucky enough to encounter the cheaper to resolve one. You might find that you won't be happy with the f/1.8, if possible it might not be a bad idea to see if you can borrow one to try out before buying. It's a decent enough lens but I have went back to using my Sigma 35 for work and am keeping the f/1.8 just for travelling.

Some people claim it's not possible up properly fix it either because of the design.

It can be fixed, but the issue can return.

They might as well start a Sony decentering subscription then :p

Luckily got mine fixed via. Warranty
But then there was a ever so small scratch on the lens front element :facepalm:
Ended up just getting a full refund

Last edited:
They might as well start a Sony decentering subscription then :p

I know to be honest it's a bit crap they haven't just recalled these, there is an inherent design fault with them. A lot of people seem to think that it isn't just a sample issue and that every single one of these will develop the fault at some point.

It's fine if you are buying new and have warranty, while the warranty lasts I guess, but eventually even buying new is no good as the warranty will run out.

That is actually not to bad Andy, it's a while back but I posted a receipt from another photographer in this thread to fix the decentering issue on the Zeiss 35 and from memory it was nearly 1k. There are two issues that can cause the decentering on these lenses, looks you have been lucky enough to encounter the cheaper to resolve one. You might find that you won't be happy with the f/1.8, if possible it might not be a bad idea to see if you can borrow one to try out before buying. It's a decent enough lens but I have went back to using my Sigma 35 for work and am keeping the f/1.8 just for travelling.

Gina Manning has a £1k repair bill for some weird flare she's getting. Andy Davison had his decentering fixed, and it came back with the flare issue, so he had to send it back again! (both local to me weirdly).

I don't know and I don't care :D

I was just interested in reading what he had to say as some are disappointed with this mkII whilst others are seeing it as a worthwhile upgrade.

This camera will never be on my radar but I can imagine sports shooters and maybe others too wanting these upgrades and buying. The comms and voice memo features alone could be really useful, I'd imagine :D

Also posted this link on Luminous Landscape where the hopeless Nikon fanboy posted about this incremental update being the end of Sonys era of fast innovation :D

I don't know and I don't care :D

I was just interested in reading what he had to say as some are disappointed with this mkII whilst others are seeing it as a worthwhile upgrade.

This camera will never be on my radar but I can imagine sports shooters and maybe others too wanting these upgrades and buying. The comms and voice memo features alone could be really useful, I'd imagine :D

Also posted this link on Luminous Landscape where the hopeless Nikon fanboy posted about this incremental update being the end of Sonys era of fast innovation :D

well he is just listing the spec sheet mostly lol

fast innovation or incremental there isn't anything out yet that can match it or come close to matching it in terms of capabilities.
The old A7RII sensor is still holding its own against the latest and greatest from the rest of manufacturers. That alone shows there is a fair bit of gap here.
Where sony needs to improve is at everything else like ergonomics, decent touchscreen etc.

well he is just listing the spec sheet mostly lol

Dunno about that. He does seem to have used it in anger and does at least to me seem to know what he's doing even if he couldn't figure out how some of the features work, because of those complicated Sony menus I suppose.

Back