The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Hey, feel free.

It's nice to imagine there's a world outside cameras and lenses.

I am also into guitars, lego, figurines and bonsai trees :p

dwp9Tez.jpg

W6qEeDp.jpg

eoh5NLt.jpg

gbeGlHC.jpg

Obkr7W9.jpg

AZXq3Go.jpg

IPwihJS.jpg

VHhmvin.jpg

I know it's a bit of a topic swap from climate change denial, but I have a small lens question.......

Has anyone personally changed from the Tamron 28-75 to the Sony 24-105? For hiking up hills I often wish for a little wider (though not so much as to justify a dedicated WA lens) or a little longer (ditto for a 70-200). I know the topic of which is 'best' has raged for what seems like forever so I'm looking for anyone who's made the change in this direction. Any regrets? If I want a faster lens I'm happy enough to use a prime on those fairly rare occasions.

Bonsai tree's are very cool!

They are also quite rewarding, not just watching them grow but when doing research into them you read up on a lot of horticulture and learn about plants in general, expanding my understanding of nature together with it.

There are a lot to learn in Bonsai, as much as photography, it's an art form older than photography. There are trees alive in Bonsai pots older than the invention of the camera.

They have a bonsai competition at my local agricultural show every year. I always look at them. It must be a challenging and rewarding hobby.

PS.
Don't forget Peter just asked a question about lenses :D

Unlikely that this will happen any time soon or possibly even in my lifetime.

Off course I care about my kids, but in 100 years my kids will be long gone, everyone I know will be long gone. I don't care about future generations or the very long term. A comet could run off course and destroy the whole planet tomorrow morning. Donald Trump could nuke everyone on the planet on a whim next week because he has fallen out with someone on twitter. I would rather concern myself with issues that will effect me and my family right now. Even at a local level there is more to worry about in regards to my family than climate change.

With the Brexit issues rumbling along, paramiltary groups on both sides here are growing numbers every day, we could potentially be heading for all out civil war here, thats of much bigger concern to me than climate change. The world won't end in my lifetime or in my kid's lifetime due to climate change, that is good enough for me.

I live in a "city" but its one of the smallest in the U.K. This week alone there has been 3 attempted child abductions, including outside a school my daughter attends, it's only Thursday.

Hard core drugs like Heroin are all over the place in my little city. I took my kids to the local park to walk the dogs a couple of nights ago and their was guy shooting up at the entrance to the park. There was another girl shooting up when we got to the little play park area. Because of this crime has increased dramatically, there are 52 houses in the street I live in. In just over a month there has been 6 houses burgled.

Last month one of the local paramiltary groups petrol bombed my next door neighbours car, a couple of weeks before that I was standing in my back garden having a smoke before heading to bed and seen 4 guys put all the windows of his house in. They all had handguns.

I could go on and on, I worry about this stuff much more than climate change.

One person deciding not to have an electric car will make zero difference to climate change. I don't believe for one minute that even if every single person in the world ditched their cars for the electric abortions that it would make even a small dent, car pollution is only a very small part of the climate change problem.
I'll try and reply properly later but maybe I can just summerise my view and say that it seems you are making excuses in not bothering changing some of your habits to go green due to other crap that's happening around you.

I have a lot of crap happening around me too that I need to deal with but doing simple things to help the environment doesn't Hinder and distract me from other life issues.
. It seems it does for you.

It really doesn't take much effort to change your habits.

I know it's a bit of a topic swap from climate change denial, but I have a small lens question.......

Has anyone personally changed from the Tamron 28-75 to the Sony 24-105? For hiking up hills I often wish for a little wider (though not so much as to justify a dedicated WA lens) or a little longer (ditto for a 70-200). I know the topic of which is 'best' has raged for what seems like forever so I'm looking for anyone who's made the change in this direction. Any regrets? If I want a faster lens I'm happy enough to use a prime on those fairly rare occasions.

So you are going off-off-topic? :D

I did :)
I decided to make this change earlier this year because I was going on 4 travel holidays. Having made this change I must say I am glad I did. The range is just incredible especially for travel and hiking.
As for primes I have a 24GM and 85GM (had various 35mm primes and FE85/1.8 before that). I bought the 24GM to make up for lack of 24mm end on the tamron 28-75mm but I liked it so much that I decided to keep that over a 35mm f1.4 or 35mm f1.8 (also tried a RX1RII for a little while lol).

Last edited:
I'll try and reply properly later but maybe I can just summerise my view and say that it seems you are making excuses in not bothering changing some of your habits to go green due to other crap that's happening around you.

I have a lot of crap happening around me too that I need to deal with but doing simple things to help the environment doesn't Hinder and distract me from other life issues.
. It seems it does for you.

It really doesn't take much effort to change your habits.

I am not making excuses I simply don’t care, as other things are more important to me.

Last edited:
Excited this evening... just received the first of two Rotolight Anova Pros.

Time to up my portrait game with these and the A7RIV.

anyone else using these?

Excited this evening... just received the first of two Rotolight Anova Pros.

Time to up my portrait game with these and the A7RIV.

anyone else using these?

Could be totally wrong but my take on rotolight was that they were over priced garbage. Just had a quick look at them and the prices are totally bonkers, other than being a constant light what benefit would this give over a AD600pro for example in a big modifier?

Could be totally wrong but my take on rotolight was that they were over priced garbage. Just had a quick look at them and the prices are totally bonkers, other than being a constant light what benefit would this give over a AD600pro for example in a big modifier?

None rotolight is pants.

They have a fantastic marketing department though.

None rotolight is pants.

They have a fantastic marketing department though.

I also was reading they're fond of suing all around them for stupid things to shut people up saying negative things about their products, some dumb legal stuff anyway they were taking part in

Them rotolight neos for the price were laughable I know that

I also was reading they're fond of suing all around them for stupid things to shut people up saying negative things about their products, some dumb legal stuff anyway they were taking part in

Them rotolight neos for the price were laughable I know that

They where good value when they were being given as a freebie at one point with A9’s.

They where pretty much useless for portraits though no where near powerful enough.

there was rumour of a new Loxia. a high quality 40mm of the optical standard of the 25/85mms would be nice.

Have I stumbled into a car thread or something?

Just roll with it. Someone will be taking about Fujis or Nikons soon enough or maybe I'll post something about the upcoming Voigtlander 50mm f2.

He misses you.
I don't think so, it's not the first time.

I am on here daily admiring people's photos, just rarely have a need to post anything these days.
Photography for me has taken a big back seat since having a very poorly baby in 2018.

Just roll with it. Someone will be taking about Fujis or Nikons soon enough or maybe I'll post something about the upcoming Voigtlander 50mm f2.

Exactly, this thread is like a rollercoaster, whoever visits knows that by now.

I am on here daily admiring people's photos, just rarely have a need to post anything these days.
Photography for me has taken a big back seat since having a very poorly baby in 2018.

Babies in general steal your life. Just got 10% of it back after two years!

I hope things get better for you and your family especially on the poorly front :)
Sincere best wishes :)

There's a first look at the Sigma 45mm f2.8 at the rumor site...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-tidbits-1062/

And there's a nice thread on it here...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1608234

I don't remember the lens getting a lot of interest here and the f2.8 might not be exciting but it looks to be a good lens and the look it gives looks nice too but even though I only shoot in one shot mode I'm annoyed that it seems to have issue when used with continuous focus. I hope Sigma can fix it soon.

Another review...

https://dustinabbott.net/2019/09/sigma-45mm-f2-8-dg-dn-review-sony-fe/

An article linked in that last review...

https://www.sigma-sein.com/en/ohsone/45mm-f2-8-dg-dn-contemporary/

Anyone interested in a lens aimed at a look rather than ultimate sharpness across the frame?

Last edited:

Best wishes Rob. Hopefully coming here and laughing at us and our pictures and the drivel we post can be a little light relief for you.

Best wishes and thought to you and yours.

Over the f0.95?

Maybe but people are talking... and that may be the point.

Everything recently - APS-C, f0.95, MF

People talked about Samsung too, how many people bought it?

People need to talk with their wallet which is more important and which is why canon is still on top and Samsung ILC is dead

Wanting to get into portraits properly now. Current kit is A7mkII and the Zeiss 24-70mm f/4 Lens.

Am I better off trading in the lens and getting the kit 28-75 lens and the 50mm f1. 8?
Using the kit lens as the all rounder and the 50mm for portraits?? I have a budget of around £450 to play with.

Wanting to get into portraits properly now. Current kit is A7mkII and the Zeiss 24-70mm f/4 Lens.

Am I better off trading in the lens and getting the kit 28-75 lens and the 50mm f1. 8?
Using the kit lens as the all rounder and the 50mm for portraits?? I have a budget of around £450 to play with.

It's that £450 in addition to trading in 24-70/4?

In which case I'd say get the tamron 28-75mm f2.8. makes for decent portrait and even a macro lens! It's very versatile.

Depends what sort of portraits you want to shoot.

35mm is a good option for environmental portraits, 85mm/135mm is good for head and shoulders etc.

50mm isn’t a great focal length for portraits.

Back