The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

A7RIV review out on dpreview. I must say the AF seems a disappointment. Low light AF not so good.
Still no touchscreen! Still on lossless compression! They simply just don't care to compete properly. Seems like an half-assed upgrade once again with reusing old components which in this is case the processor.

They do need to fix those things but don't get carried away, for its intended uses it's best in class and if you don't need those you can get a dirt cheap A7R3 instead. We're in a good place.

I'd have loved that Siggy 135 1.8 in the classifieds, but really cannot justify it as a hobbyist. LCE have a 45 f2.8 for £400, and while it's tempting, that's not a focal length or lens I need either.

Should of bought it, that's a ridiculous price, unbelievable value when you consider it is supposed to be just as good as the 135GM except in low light.

They do need to fix those things but don't get carried away, for its intended uses it's best in class and if you don't need those you can get a dirt cheap A7R3 instead. We're in a good place.

Already have an A7RIII and I consider myself to be the kind of folks that'd upgrade/buy A7RIV. And for it's intended use it could be better if Sony actually cared to listen.

Imagine if canon manages to upscale their 90D sensor without losing performance. You'd be looking at a 80mp sensor with dynamic range and ISO performance within half a stop of Sony sensors. AF also getting closer to Sony and in fact beating it in low light. Sony wouldn't be in such a good place then :p
Not to mention canon still having the market behind it.
If you sit on your success like canikon did you'll inevitably get taken over by canikon lol
It's about time they provided some of the most basic features like touchscreen and lossless compression etc.

Last edited:
Already have an A7RIII and I consider myself to be the kind of folks that'd upgrade/buy A7RIV. And for it's intended use it could be better if Sony actually cared to listen.

Imagine if canon manages to upscale their 90D sensor without losing performance. You'd be looking at a 80mp sensor with dynamic range and ISO performance within half a stop of Sony sensors. AF also getting closer to Sony and in fact beating it in low light. Sony wouldn't be in such a good place then :p
If you sit on your success like canikon did you'll inevitably get taken over by canikon lol
It's about time they provided some of the most basic features like touchscreen and lossless compression etc.

have you seen the price of Canon mirorrless lenses? They have no 3rd party canon lenses really so it’s mega expensive.

Sony aren’t going to be miles out in front forever. Look at Apple with the iPhone, they were miles better for the first few years and now, there are android phones that are better. Other businesses will catch up, no doubt.
At the moment we’re moaning because of lack of Sony innovation, wanting features that we don’t really need. In fact, if Sony improved 4 or 5 rather minor things they’d have the perfect camera - and they don’t want that.

4th gen bodies were always going to be a let down imo after the resounding success of the 3rd gen and A9.

have you seen the price of Canon mirorrless lenses? They have no 3rd party canon lenses really so it’s mega expensive.

Sony aren’t going to be miles out in front forever. Look at Apple with the iPhone, they were miles better for the first few years and now, there are android phones that are better. Other businesses will catch up, no doubt.
At the moment we’re moaning because of lack of Sony innovation, wanting features that we don’t really need. In fact, if Sony improved 4 or 5 rather minor things they’d have the perfect camera - and they don’t want that.

4th gen bodies were always going to be a let down imo after the resounding success of the 3rd gen and A9.

Yes I have seen the prices and they don't even have half the lenses I have on Sony. But that's not what I am talking about here.

You may not need them but it's features that others provide and have been providing for a long time. Lossless compression is possibly the single most useful but lacking feature I can think of for a high-res body.

No 4th gen bodies weren't always going to be a let down, Sony just made it so. If they wanted it could have been just as successful.

Very few people care about gimmicky stuff like that, while it might be important for you.

You should probably just switch over fully to Canon.

There is no point trying to "imagine" what Canon are going to do or not do they always disappoint anyway.

When was the last time Canon actually provided something that was truly ground breaking, the original 5D maybe? That was nearly 15 years ago.

There are advantages and disadvantages to all systems. Canon still don't have a mirrorless body with 2 card slots for example, much more important than a touchscreen menu system.

Last edited:
Very few people care about gimmicky stuff like that, while it might be important for you.

You should probably just switch over fully to Canon.

There is no point trying to "imagine" what Canon are going to do or not do they always disappoint anyway.

When was the last time Canon actually provided something that was truly ground breaking, the original 5D maybe? That was nearly 15 years ago.

Lossless compression is a gimmick?
Focus stacking is a gimmick?
Not having "star eater" camera is a gimmick?
Focusing well in low light is a gimmick?
Focusing the lenses wide open for best AF-C performance like their own a-mount bodies do btw is a gimmick?
Being able to install FW updates without doing a dance to please Sony Gods is a gimmick?
One could argue touchscreen is a gimmick but useful feature none the less.

When canon was doing the same and sitting on their success you are the first one to complain if Sony is doing the same it's just gimmicks that are missing. Should I call you a hypocrite or a fanboi? :p

Focusing the lenses wide open for best AF-C performance like their own a-mount bodies do btw is a gimmick?
Being able to install FW updates without doing a dance to please Sony Gods is a gimmick?

When canon was doing the same and sitting on their success you are the first one to complain if Sony is doing the same it's just gimmicks that are missing. Should I call you a hypocrite or a fanboi? :p

Lets be honest here it's you that is the fanboy for as long as I have been posting in this thread you have been singing Canon's praises, I don't know why you just don't sell up and move over to Canon. Why do you continue to use a system you don't like over one you seem to love?

Lossless compression, I don't care, it takes much longer to import files so I wouldn't use it.
Focus stacking, I don't care have no need for it.
Astro, who cares?, boring for most people, very niche.
Low light A.F, you are the only person I have seen ever mention that Canon is better. As I mentioned on here a while back a mate of mine got a Canon R and sang it's praises, I lent her an A7III and she bought one herself a few days later and sold the Canon R because the a.f isn't as reliable. I haven't used any of the Canon mirrorless bodies for any more than a few clicks but you may be correct.
Firmware, I have not once had any problems upgrading the firmware on any of my Sony bodies. The only people I have seen complain about this use Macs.
Touchscreen, this is definitely a gimmick and something I wouldn't use. I don't imagine any professional photographer would.

Last edited:
Lets be honest here it's you that is the fanboy for as long as I have been posting in this thread you have been singing Canon's praises, I don't know why you just don't sell up and move over to Canon.

Lossless compression, I don't care, it takes much longer to import files so I wouldn't use it.
Focus stacking, I don't care have no need for it.
Astro, who cares?, boring
Low light A.F, you are the only person I have seen ever mention that Canon is better. As I mentioned on here a while back a mate of mine got a Canon R and sang it's praises, I lent her an A7III and she bought one herself a few days later and sold the Canon R because the a.f isn't as reliable. I haven't use any of the Canon mirrorless bodies for any more than a few clicks but you may be correct.
Firmware, I have not once had any problems upgrading the firmware on any of my Sony bodies. The only people I have seen complain about this use Macs.
Touhscreen, this is definitely a gimmick and something I wouldn't use. I don't imagine any professional photographer would.

Lol you do realise world doesn't revolve around you and yours usecases.

Lol you do realise world doesn't revolve around you and yours usecases.

Not sure what a usecases is to be honest.

If you mean uses, of course it doesn't, just like it doesn't revolve around your usage.

What is important to you, isn't important to everyone else.

Sony seems a terrible system for you. You should absolutely sell up and jump ship to Canon.

Last edited:
Not sure what a usecases is to be honest.

If you mean uses, of course it doesn't, just like it doesn't revolve around your usage.

What is important to you, isn't important to everyone else.

Sony seems a terrible system for you. You should absolutely sell up and jump ship to Canon.

I didn't say things I mentioned were useful to me. They were general ones that came to mind. I am sure I could think of more.

I'll jump ship when there is a better system for me. In fact it's folk like me i.e. early adopters that make systems like this a success. Folk like yourself only come on it when it's mature (understandably so). I have been with Sony since original A7, heck even before that with their SLT tech. Lose people like us over people such as yourself and it ends up being like what canikon have been. Not such a bad position if are already #1 with a huge market share like canon, not so good for Nikon.
Not to mention the market is shrinking and better not to lose the folk Sony have already captured ;)

Last edited:

Canon lens prices were one of the reasons I didn't contemplate the EOS R system. £2800 for the 85mm and £2200 for the 50mm, absolute joke imo. OK Nikon's might only be f.18 vs f1.2 of Canon, but £320 and £660 are much more palatable prices. Also, Canon's 28-70mm f2 is £2800 vs Nikon's 24-70mm f2.8 at £1800. I'd rather sacrifice a stop of light and have an extra grand in my pocket, as well as the extra 4mm at the wide end. The native Canon EOS R system is for the seriously wealthy :eek:

No camera is perfect tbh and Sony have moved the market forward in fairness. However, I do agree with your point in that I hope they don't now rest on their laurels.

What I don't understand with these camera manufacturers is their decision making, who's in charge as it completely baffles me? I mean Nikon had the chance to build a camera from scratch yet they bring a fleet out that is inherently flawed in that it has one camera slot and no way to use a functional battery grip. I mean what the fudge, who signed that off as a good idea?

And whilst I praise Son'y advancement who signs off some of their decision making. What are we on now 4th gen and still no touchscreen? No focus stacking, stopped down focussing, and still no lossless compression? Now I'm no developer but surely these are pretty easy things to add in this day and age, so someone high up is clearly saying not to put them in. Why?

As a consumer it's very frustrating as there seems no logical explanation. Yes I know that they need new features for the next gen cameras, but these are basics imo, things you should expect when shelling out £1500-3000 on a camera.

Canon lens prices were one of the reasons I didn't contemplate the EOS R system. £2800 for the 85mm and £2200 for the 50mm, absolute joke imo. OK Nikon's might only be f.18 vs f1.2 of Canon, but £320 and £660 are much more palatable prices. Also, Canon's 28-70mm f2 is £2800 vs Nikon's 24-70mm f2.8 at £1800. I'd rather sacrifice a stop of light and have an extra grand in my pocket, as well as the extra 4mm at the wide end. The native Canon EOS R system is for the seriously wealthy :eek:

No camera is perfect tbh and Sony have moved the market forward in fairness. However, I do agree with your point in that I hope they don't now rest on their laurels.

What I don't understand with these camera manufacturers is their decision making, who's in charge as it completely baffles me? I mean Nikon had the chance to build a camera from scratch yet they bring a fleet out that is inherently flawed in that it has one camera slot and no way to use a functional battery grip. I mean what the fudge, who signed that off as a good idea?

And whilst I praise Son'y advancement who signs off some of their decision making. What are we on now 4th gen and still no touchscreen? No focus stacking, stopped down focussing, and still no lossless compression? Now I'm no developer but surely these are pretty easy things to add in this day and age, so someone high up is clearly saying not to put them in. Why?

As a consumer it's very frustrating as there seems no logical explanation. Yes I know that they need new features for the next gen cameras, but these are basics imo, things you should expect when shelling out £1500-3000 on a camera.

There is an expensive canon RF 24-70mm/2.8 too lol. It's £500 more than Sony/Nikon version.

Also don't get me started on Nikon Z primes lol.
I think Nikon have completely lost it now tbh and just throwing random s*** at the wall hoping one will stick.

But if native glass prices is your main concern and you have mentioned this many times, Sony is the best place to be for you with all the 3rd party support.
You can soon have 17mm to 180mm with constant f2.8 from tamron. It'll probably be less than one 70-200mm f2.8 lens from 1st party :D

But you seem to get my point :)

I didn't say things I mentioned were useful to me. They were general ones that came to mind. I am sure I could think of more.

I'll jump ship when there is a better system for me. In fact it's folk like me i.e. early adopters that make systems like this a success. Folk like yourself only come on it when it's mature (understandably so). I have been with Sony since original A7, heck even before that with their SLT tech. Lose people like us over people such as yourself and it ends up being like what canikon have been. Not such a bad position if are already #1 with a huge market share like canon, not so good for Nikon.
Not to mention the market is shrinking and better not to lose the folk Sony have already captured ;)

Just like anyone else could say that there is advantages to the Sony system over the rest.

No system is perfect even with all of the bodies currently available there isn’t the perfect one for me.

So like everyone else you are left with a compromise somewhere depending on what is most important.

I have an A9 arriving hopefully today and an A7RIV hopefully next week. In an ideal world I would have only bought one camera that could have done the job of both but it doesn’t exist.

I have no brand loyalty I will buy the best tool that I can for the job. At the moment for me Sony offers more than the rest.

There is an expensive canon RF 24-70mm/2.8 too lol. It's £500 more than Sony/Nikon version.

Also don't get me started on Nikon Z primes lol.
I think Nikon have completely lost it now tbh and just throwing random s*** at the wall hoping one will stick.

But if native glass prices is your main concern and you have mentioned this many times, Sony is the best place to be for you with all the 3rd party support.
You can soon have 17mm to 180mm with constant f2.8 from tamron. It'll probably be less than one 70-200mm f2.8 lens from 1st party :D

But you seem to get my point :)
What's wrong with Nikon Z primes?

As you may be aware I would have been a Sony user long ago if the ergonomics suited me. It's a shame really, especially considering the price of the A9 these days.

I'd have loved that Siggy 135 1.8 in the classifieds, but really cannot justify it as a hobbyist. LCE have a 45 f2.8 for £400, and while it's tempting, that's not a focal length or lens I need either.

I've heard from a few people that the Siggy AF isn't anywhere near as fast as the Sony's, or as accurate tracking moving targets. Otherwise I'd probably be looking at that. As it is, I'm winding down for the year, so will probably pick up the 135GM before the season starts properly again next year.

It'd be lovely for some autumnal family pictures though...

I've heard from a few people that the Siggy AF isn't anywhere near as fast as the Sony's, or as accurate tracking moving targets. Otherwise I'd probably be looking at that. As it is, I'm winding down for the year, so will probably pick up the 135GM before the season starts properly again next year.

It'd be lovely for some autumnal family pictures though...

I've got it and it's crazy fast and accurate. Sadly not really using longer lenses anymore at all. Not even using the 85mm much now! 24 35 50 is my main go to lenses now for most of a wedding

I've got it and it's crazy fast and accurate. Sadly not really using longer lenses anymore at all. Not even using the 85mm much now! 24 35 50 is my main go to lenses now for most of a wedding

Might have to borrow one and have a play before committing then.

It's only really for portraits at the weddings and ceremonies in bigger venues (I've got 3 in cathedrals next year)

So, last weekend the glass screen protector I fitted a year ago came off and won't attach cleanly like before.
They aren't expensive to buy another but is there really any need?
The screen does feel vulnerable, I'm often walking round with it partly out so it doesn't switch to viewfinder when not wanted (I know you can turn that off but need it sometimes).
The main scratch risk is putting it in and out of a bag I suspect.

How does it come off? I have put it on many devices from Switch, phones, iPads and my cameras, not one has come off without me peeling it off (because I broke it).

I was trying to tilt the screen and it just fell off in my hand which was concerning at first.
Just wondered if anyone is happily not bothering with them.
It's the A7iii so not very touchy.

Hopefully you'll get a replacement sent, and then the original will turn up too ;)

If it hasn't come by Friday they are sending a replacement.

It would be really funny if they both turned up as I basically got this one for free as I received a random payment from a company I worked for 5/6 years ago and when I contacted them they have no idea why it was sent just that it was showing in their accounts that I was owed it.

Last edited:
I was trying to tilt the screen and it just fell off in my hand which was concerning at first.
Just wondered if anyone is happily not bothering with them.
It's the A7iii so not very touchy.

I've not bothered, although AFAIK (and it looks that way) there's already a screen protector on there. No serious scratching after 8 months use.

If it hasn't come by Friday they are sending a replacement.

It would be really funny if they both turned up as I basically got this one for free as I received a random payment from a company I worked for 5/6 years ago and when I contacted them they have no idea why it was sent just that it was showing in their accounts that I was owed it.

Do share :p

Last edited:
Both out of my price bracket. Have they changed the ergonomics much then?

if you can afford a Z7 and D850 surely you can afford the A7RIV and think of all the savings you will make on glass :D

What's wrong with Nikon Z primes?

As you may be aware I would have been a Sony user long ago if the ergonomics suited me. It's a shame really, especially considering the price of the A9 these days.

Z primes - which one? :D
after the marketing push about the large mount being nirvana their primes focuses is slower, less sharp than FE and larger than FE. The only thing they have achieved over current FE lenses i.e. lenses for a small mount is better CA control which has nothing to do with the mount diameter. Sony just seems to no care about it too much.

They completely lost me when the Z 24mm f1.8 turned out to be larger than 24GM which is widely accepted as the best 24mm around!

Will this is odd just received this email.

4B6867CA-A063-48B0-954F-EDF3346C7F0D.jpeg
Have spoken to DPD myself and they say they have found it and it will be here by 3pm they also told the sender this as well but there email seems to says they are sending another one anyway.

Just like anyone else could say that there is advantages to the Sony system over the rest.

No system is perfect even with all of the bodies currently available there isn’t the perfect one for me.

So like everyone else you are left with a compromise somewhere depending on what is most important.

I have an A9 arriving hopefully today and an A7RIV hopefully next week. In an ideal world I would have only bought one camera that could have done the job of both but it doesn’t exist.

I have no brand loyalty I will buy the best tool that I can for the job. At the moment for me Sony offers more than the rest.

oooo... nice. Look forward to hearing your AF comparison between A9 and A7RIV in that case :)

Will this is odd just received this email.

View attachment 257922
Have spoken to DPD myself and they say they have found it and it will be here by 3pm they also told the sender this as well but there email seems to says they are sending another one anyway.

Haha i'd leave the DPD one unopened for a couple of months, in case they ask for it back.

Back