The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Great cam man, I loved mine but its crippled for video so useless to me sadly. Sneaky f***ers said they were gonna add picture profiles and never did

What use are picture profiles? Can you not just shoot in S log and grade from there. Sorry, I know nothing about video so genuinely interested. Cheers

truly wonderful pictures!

You are now making me want this lens :D

Thanks, couldn't be happier with it. Stunning lens for the price, weight and size. (y)

One can't have it both ways I guess.
Pulling in dust is a thing of the past I think. I was using tamron 28-75 and 100-400mm with no such issues. Still use 24-105mm and have no issues with that. The modern lenses are pretty well sealed against dust.

As for the rest that's what you have to put up with but the overall package will still be lighter with weight concentrated near the body so I think balance won't be an issue either.

My main concern is it's performance. The latest EF 70-200mm is considered the best one of the lot. How will it compare?

The Tamron 28-75 sucks in dust better then a dyson all extending zooms do you can’t beat physics.

Your 28-75 must be special in that case. You should just use it as your hoover :p

Mine actually is clean but then again it never gets used. Have seen some absolute shockers though from people that do use them a lot.

What use are picture profiles? Can you not just shoot in S log and grade from there. Sorry, I know nothing about video so genuinely interested. Cheers

S Log actually is a picture profile, which the A9 doesn't have.

It basically gives you more headroom to colour grade and edit in post. Not using a picture profile basically bakes the colour etc in and gives very little to no room for grading

S Log actually is a picture profile, which the A9 doesn't have.

It basically gives you more headroom to colour grade and edit in post. Not using a picture profile basically bakes the colour etc in and gives very little to no room for grading

Mental omission that.

Yup, really can’t see the logic behind it, is there any chance of it being added in firmware or are Sony just choosing to keep it from the A9?

It'll never be added. Reasons unknown

excellent lens for the price, I replaced the foot on mine with a Wimberly one which is pretty good.

I also bought a case for it as they obviously had to save money on the terrible bag that came with it lol
I think the terrible bags are a G lens thing. The 70-200 f4 G has an awful bag too. The 100-400 GM has a nice bag but I find it mainly sits in the cupboard unused anyway as I transport camera gear in f stop ICUs. Most manufacturer bags aren’t that useful as you can’t get the lens in with a camera attached.

I think the terrible bags are a G lens thing. The 70-200 f4 G has an awful bag too. The 100-400 GM has a nice bag but I find it mainly sits in the cupboard unused anyway as I transport camera gear in f stop ICUs. Most manufacturer bags aren’t that useful as you can’t get the lens in with a camera attached.
Actually the 24-105mm has a leather soft pouch that's quite useful and I actually use it. Zeiss lenses come with the same.
The GM lens bags are very nice but I never use them.

Has anyone ever rented a lens from Wex? I tried to rent one and they have said that the people that do the Credit Check can’t find my house! I have been in the same house from 2014 and have all my banking, mortgage and cards registered to it. I ran a check on myself using Experian and it finds me ok and my credit score is 947/999 so i can’t see that being an issue.

They now want me to leave the full deposit of £2300 for a 70-200 G Master lens which seems a tad extreme, considering with this check completed it drops to £250 which seems fair and reasonable. Has anyone experienced anything similar? It just seem really strange to me.

Never use any of these bags or cases, if you have a camera bag or case then these bags just add bulk.

The soft pouch is useful I feel even in bags sometimes.

But the only one I use all the time is small bag that came with the 1.4x TC.

Has anyone ever rented a lens from Wex? I tried to rent one and they have said that the people that do the Credit Check can’t find my house! I have been in the same house from 2014 and have all my banking, mortgage and cards registered to it. I ran a check on myself using Experian and it finds me ok and my credit score is 947/999 so i can’t see that being an issue.

They now want me to leave the full deposit of £2300 for a 70-200 G Master lens which seems a tad extreme, considering with this check completed it drops to £250 which seems fair and reasonable. Has anyone experienced anything similar? It just seem really strange to me.

That would be normal for WEX.

They used to charge the full price of the lens as the deposit and then refund after you returned it or if you decided to buy the lens you got the rental fee for free.

Actually the 24-105mm has a leather soft pouch that's quite useful and I actually use it. Zeiss lenses come with the same.
The GM lens bags are very nice but I never use them.
I think the leather pouch for the 24-105 and 70-200 f4 are of the same design/build. They can potentially be useful but I bet most sit in the box used ready for resale in the future. I never use the pouches as I have several ICUs that work better. I’ve used the case that comes with the 100-400 to transport that lens on its own but even then had to take the tripod foot off as it won’t fit in the bag with an arca Swiss plate attached.

Never use any of these bags or cases, if you have a camera bag or case then these bags just add bulk.
Same here. I have a range of ICUs set up for the various uses. Only this week I found out the micro ICU that I purchased to transport just the camera with the 24-105 attach is also a perfect fit for the 70-200 f4 on its own. I’m tempted to get another so I can quickly decide to take the70-200 or not.

I don’t usually use any that come with lenses up to say 100-400 but this being a big lens is something I’d put in the car just in case I want it on a trip but wasn’t happy it would offer the slightest protection.

Anyway got hard case now that I’ve put this and my macro lens in.

That would be normal for WEX.

They used to charge the full price of the lens as the deposit and then refund after you returned it or if you decided to buy the lens you got the rental fee for free.

I can understand that was the way it used to work and that’s fine but the bit that’s strange to me is, they got me to produce my passport and utility bill not only for me to prove who I am (understandable) but they insisted on doing this check (well the head office completing) to reduce the deposit. I asked to speak to their head office but haven’t heard back. I just find it unlikely they cant find my house when there is a clear path of clean credit leading to it.

I wonder if they would find my house if i wanted to purchase it on interest free lol, perhaps I’m just be paranoid.

A73 is starting to show rub marks on the corners. Guess this is why some people use those half case things.

A73 is starting to show rub marks on the corners. Guess this is why some people use those half case things.

There are still plenty other corners exposed tbh.

All my Sony cameras have ended up the same regardless of L-plates, half-cases etc.
Only possible solution I have found to keep the body near mint - https://alphagvrd.com/pages/camera

Last edited:

Have you had a look on Lensesforhire? Stewart who owns it is a member here. Not sure how many days you were renting for, but it could be cheaper.

There are still plenty other corners exposed tbh.

All my Sony cameras have ended up the same regardless of L-plates, half-cases etc.
Only possible solution I have found to keep the body near mint - https://alphagvrd.com/pages/camera

those wraps don’t look too bad! Probably a bit fiddly to get on but at least it’s all round protection.

Thought I would start with this thread before going anywhere else and also before I go down this route of switching systems.

I'm currently running a Canon 1D4, with the A7III Is the auto focus as good as the reviews, I have poor vision and AF is always my down fall making sure to nail the portraits is always hit and miss sometimes and even using a few hacks like drawing on my view finder screen so I know where the comon AF points are as I can't see red which is the AF highlight colour on a 1D4 and most other canocn cameras I've been looking into the Sonys AF system and it does eye tracking and alll sorts of other things.

But in peoples opinion is it worth jumping ship for ?

Thought I would start with this thread before going anywhere else and also before I go down this route of switching systems.

I'm currently running a Canon 1D4, with the A7III Is the auto focus as good as the reviews, I have poor vision and AF is always my down fall making sure to nail the portraits is always hit and miss sometimes and even using a few hacks like drawing on my view finder screen so I know where the comon AF points are as I can't see red which is the AF highlight colour on a 1D4 and most other canocn cameras I've been looking into the Sonys AF system and it does eye tracking and alll sorts of other things.

Even my MK1 A7's face detect is a revelation for me. As long as the face is relatively large in the frame it usually locks on no problem as does the eye detect of my Panasonic cameras. My cameras really only fail at full body plus distances when the face can be small in the frame which is fair enough.

Apart from locking focus on the eye / face you may also notice that you have greater compositional freedom as you can place the subjects face just about anywhere in the frame which you can't do with a DSLR with the focus points clustered around the central area.

People with A7III's will no doubt comment shortly but I'd be surprised if anyone thought it wasn't a worthwhile move for you.

What are you guys doing to them, mine all look pretty much as new.

My A7 has a small blister near the battery door but other than that it's still in VGC despite going out in all weathers.

The only camera I've had a problem with was my G1 which was showing signs of beginning to think about going sticky.

What are you guys doing to them, mine all look pretty much as new.

I think it may be my strap. But hey, there to be used and not wrapped in cotton wool. They’ll be next to worthless when I get rid as they’re more than capable of what I throw at them!

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4.

I saw these berries and I thought I'd go for swirly bokeh but the end result looks more like a reflection in water. I quite like it :D

iqmrMT5.jpg

I love the thought of having that top apartment. f1.4, shame about the scaffolding. I'll have to go back when they're finished.

791OQVF.jpg

Mine has a half case not for protection (my Canon never had any half cases), it is merely for size reasons to make it that half inch taller. When I sold my 5Ds (I have went through 6 of them), the buyer almost always commented how well kept it looked.

With the Sony, if you see there is a square around the Eye and have it in AF-C then it is 99/100 it has achieved focus. It's so good, it feels like a cheat.

So yes, if you can see that, the Sony will help out in a big way, the little square on the eye is basically confirmation it has achieved focus.

The A7III does seem very good - mine replaced a Nikon D610, and it's made portraits much easier and more reliable. The square is green on Sony, so that may be easier for you to see.

Back