The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Anyway leave it at that.. I be in the Z thread most of the time now...

You should call in here as often as you like. You were a regular poster in this thread for quite a while and I can't see anyone having any serious problem with you posting here even if only to tell us the Nikons are better :D Anyone who is bothered, irritated or annoyed can skip your posts or use the ignore button so it's not as if you're going to adversely affect anyone's life irrevocably so I say... post away :D

You should call in here as often as you like. You were a regular poster in this thread for quite a while and I can't see anyone having any serious problem with you posting here even if only to tell us the Nikons are better :D Anyone who is bothered, irritated or annoyed can skip your posts or use the ignore button so it's not as if you're going to adversely affect anyone's life irrevocably so I say... post away :D
It’s a shame he didn’t post more often, we all go quiet at times though. Life, eh.

Thank you for your post.

To answer both yours and Twist questions

I stopped posting as there been seem medical issues in the family so been run down and not had much chance.. The issue is still ongoing but I am trying to get into photography to take my minds of it.

The Sony I loved I have said many time it was and still a great camera but I just got fed up of the buttons in the wrong places etc and when I handled a Z6 It just bond to me so I though I might as well treat myself and move back over. I did say back in the days I would go back to Nikon as when I was with them I waited for them to bring out their mirrorless but it was taking them time..

Anyway there nothing wrong with any cameras on the market and we all like a treat.

I will keep having a nose

Just on evf's.

Do people go into the menu and adjust them for best effect or not bother?

PS.
I've just checked mine and the brightness was on+1. I don't remember selecting that so I put it back to zero :D I'll have another look in daylight tomorrow.

I didn’t even know I could lol

Thank you for your post.

I stopped posting as there been seem medical issues in the family so been run down and not had much chance.. The issue is still ongoing but I am trying to get into photography to take my minds of it.

The Sony I loved I have said many time it was and still a great camera but I just got fed up of the buttons in the wrong places etc and when I handled a Z6 It just bond to me so I though I might as well treat myself and move back over. I did say back in the days I would go back to Nikon as when I was with them I waited for them to bring out their mirrorless but it was taking them time..

Anyway there nothing wrong with any cameras on the market and we all like a treat.

Whatever brings joy mate, enjoy the Nikon.

Thank you for your post.

Come back for the A9ii?

I didn’t even know I could lol

I don't bother these days. I constantly fiddled with the EVF settings for my Panasonic G1 as that cameras EVF kicked out so much light it hurt my eyes and in low light could project an image onto a wall but still fail to show detail that was clearly visible by eye. I'm much happier with the EVF's I have now although IMO very low light shooting can still be an issue with EVF's.

I just thought fiddling with the settings could help those who think a camera has a poor EVF.

Last edited:
I don't bother these days. I constantly fiddled with the EVF settings for my Panasonic G1 as that cameras EVF kicked out so much light it hurt my eyes and in low light could project an image onto a wall but still fail to show detail that was clearly visible by eye. I'm much happier with the EVF's I have now although IMO very low light shooting can still be an issue with EVF's.

I just thought fiddling with the settings could help those who think a camera has a poor EVF.

The A73 does go a bit grainy in real low light but not laggy, so very much useable. I reckon they might put a better one in the A74 though to keep up with the emerging competition.

Thank you for your post.

To answer both yours and Twist questions...

We all have our issues and I wish you and yours well with yours... I certainly have things to deal with every day but I like to think of this thread as a calm oasis with a discrete wooden sign hanging from a branch saying "Welcome Friend" as relaxed people seated here and there calmly sip Gordons Gin. Sort of like a serene gentleman's and ladies club compared to the Extinction Rebellion demonstration / drug fuelled rave going on all around it :D

Just on evf's.

Do people go into the menu and adjust them for best effect or not bother?

PS.
I've just checked mine and the brightness was on+1. I don't remember selecting that so I put it back to zero :D I'll have another look in daylight tomorrow.

Never use the EVF now tbh.

Thank you everyone for your advice, you have definitely cemented my own research, I'm going to try and see how far my nearest camera shop that stocks the sonys to have a play, if the A9 has the OLED evf that'll be better than a standard LCD anyway evf, I'm not sure how well I'm going to get on with it highlighing in the view finder as I see everything like a prime I have no zoom so can only get close to an object to see it bigger so to speak but everything you guys have said so far is still heaps and bounds above what I'm currently using at the moment.

Thank you again :).

Thank you everyone for your advice, you have definitely cemented my own research, I'm going to try and see how far my nearest camera shop that stocks the sonys to have a play, if the A9 has the OLED evf that'll be better than a standard LCD anyway evf, I'm not sure how well I'm going to get on with it highlighing in the view finder as I see everything like a prime I have no zoom so can only get close to an object to see it bigger so to speak but everything you guys have said so far is still heaps and bounds above what I'm currently using at the moment.

Thank you again :).

Let us know how you get on. Good luck choosing! :D

I can only speak from my experience I have had both the sony and the nikon and the nikon 24-70 is far better than the sony ive had. But each to their owns i suppose but I dont come on here and argue with people.. I just speak of my experience..

If people block me for me being honest then that up to them I dont care..

I dont get offensive to people like you said only when people start at me.

Anyway leave it at that.. I be in the Z thread most of the time now...

Just out of interest what do you take pictures of that would really test a lens? The only thing I’ve seen you post is snaps from walks etc which, I presume is not all you use these expensive cameras for.

Genuine question

I have an A9 although have only used at today’s wedding and 4 x A7III’s, the A7III is an extremely good camera and in some ways better than the A9, especially if you use flash.

There is very little difference in the EVF’s so that would be right at the bottom of the list when deciding between the two.

The A9 is faster.

The A7III has a much improved mechanical shutter, anti flicker and better dynamic range. The A7III is also a much better choice for those that shoot video.

I think your pretty much hit the nail on the head, the A9 is faster.... is many ways and that’s it’s purpose... it’s not got the best sensor for dynamic range, nor the most mega pixels.... it’s built for speed. :)
For most people the Sony A7 III is good enough and arguably the better buy for the moment.
You can buy 2x Sony A7 III approx. For the price of a single A9, that in itself could be a deciding factor for many professionals :)

Just out of interest what do you take pictures of that would really test a lens? The only thing I’ve seen you post is snaps from walks etc which, I presume is not all you use these expensive cameras for.

Genuine question

For your info I don’t post all my images. Does it matter it down to what the user happy with

What review says it's not sharp?

It's the sharpest 600mm zoom of the lot.
Not on line reviews , I know three people well who have recently bought one , one of them raves about it and says it is superb but the other two say it is a bit soft at the 600mm end , I accept there are so many variables which deliver the end result but all three guys are decent photographers so it made me think a little as I am contemplating buying one to bolt onto the A9

Not on line reviews , I know three people well who have recently bought one , one of them raves about it and says it is superb but the other two say it is a bit soft at the 600mm end , I accept there are so many variables which deliver the end result but all three guys are decent photographers so it made me think a little as I am contemplating buying one to bolt onto the A9

every photographer on this thread think is great :)
my kingfisher shots on a thread in the front page with this lens.
(please also give some allowance for flickr+posting on this forum killing some sharpness)

48813265881_2967298ef0_b.jpg

Last edited:
So what makes the Nikon better than the Sony for you?
I briefly had a Z7 and the only reason I kept my A7Riii was the uncertainty of the Z system future, eye-AF (Nikon hadn't implemented at the time) and limited lenses at the time. Ergonomically and button wise the Z was leagues ahead (subjectively) and going back to the Sony was very jarring. I find myself having to think about what's where more rather than concentrating on what I'm trying to capture. Weather proofing also concerns me with the A7riii.

The Nikon 24-70 f4 S is also a lovely lens that seemed to produce very pleasing pictures for me. I don't know technically why but I was happier with them than those from my Sony with Tamron 28-75.

At the end of the day it's personal. If Rookies is happier with the Z then good for him, I can see why for a lot of reasons. If we all bought the same brand there would be no competition, no improvement and no choice. If I had the choice again now it would be a very tricky decision.

I just think the photos that Nikon produce are more natural looking compared to Sony when it comes to small birds. Particularly eyes, I just think they look a little over sharpened and glass like out of a Sony

I briefly had a Z7 and the only reason I kept my A7Riii was the uncertainty of the Z system future, eye-AF (Nikon hadn't implemented at the time) and limited lenses at the time. Ergonomically and button wise the Z was leagues ahead (subjectively) and going back to the Sony was very jarring. I find myself having to think about what's where more rather than concentrating on what I'm trying to capture. Weather proofing also concerns me with the A7riii.

The Nikon 24-70 f4 S is also a lovely lens that seemed to produce very pleasing pictures for me. I don't know technically why but I was happier with them than those from my Sony with Tamron 28-75.

At the end of the day it's personal. If Rookies is happier with the Z then good for him, I can see why for a lot of reasons. If we all bought the same brand there would be no competition, no improvement and no choice. If I had the choice again now it would be a very tricky decision.

as I posted on the nikon Z thread, Sony has the IQ, AF and optics well covered. But the usability of the camera itself leaves a lot to be desired.

Right now Z and RF are far behind for me to swap from A7RIII. But the gap is closing but not close enough.

I just think the photos that Nikon produce are more natural looking compared to Sony when it comes to small birds. Particularly eyes, I just think they look a little over sharpened and glass like out of a Sony

Always preferred canon, then sony and last nikon personally :)

I have a EOS R colours preset profile in LR that I apply to a lot of my pictures :D

If it works with the 1.4x TC I'll buy it. Otherwise no dice just like the 135GM.

Good point! The size looks great as I presume it’s internal zoom? Or has that not been released yet? I thought the 35mm might have been a 1.8/2 but it’s another 2.8 to join the other 2!

I take my A7 out in any and all weathers from pouring rain to blizzards on the beach I can hardly stand up in and on to the heat and humidity of south east asia and so far the only weather damage I've had is a plastic screen guard blew off on the beach, that was a windy day. As far as I know the bottom of these cameras is the weak point so if for whatever reason it sits in water it's probably dead. I've had some soakings in the rain and been drenched when getting back to the car and everything has survived with just common sense precautions.

Same goes for my Panasonic MFT cameras but I don't use them as much. I used my Canon DSLR's the same and they too survived.

I suppose weather sealing can be a real world issue but rightly or wrongly for me it is possibly somewhat overstated as so far fingers crossed etc my cameras have always survived. I did have a manual lens jam when something got in the mechanism but all it needed was a strip down and clean.

I take my A7 out in any and all weathers from pouring rain to blizzards on the beach I can hardly stand up in and on to the heat and humidity of south east asia and so far the only weather damage I've had is a plastic screen guard blew off on the beach, that was a windy day. As far as I know the bottom of these cameras is the weak point so if for whatever reason it sits in water it's probably dead. I've had some soakings in the rain and been drenched when getting back to the car and everything has survived with just common sense precautions.

Same goes for my Panasonic MFT cameras but I don't use them as much. I used my Canon DSLR's the same and they too survived.

I suppose weather sealing can be a real world issue but rightly or wrongly for me it is possibly somewhat overstated as so far fingers crossed etc my cameras have always survived. I did have a manual lens jam when something got in the mechanism but all it needed was a strip down and clean.

That's really good to hear Woof Woof. I'm sure 99% of my concern is based on normal cross brand debate, which I try to take with a pinch of salt. I need to stop babying my gear so much!

One thing that’s really attracting me towards Sony is the AF system. I just don’t get a good feeling about AutoFocus set to Continuous Auto on Nikon for fast moving subjects. The feedback through the optical viewfinder suggests the AF is completely missing which isn’t very reassuring.

Anyone got any views on the performance of the new Sony 200-600mm , heard mixed reviews about its sharpeness at the long end ?
I use one on a a7rIV and find it's sharp through the range ,it really is a very nice lens.
Rob.

Good point! The size looks great as I presume it’s internal zoom? Or has that not been released yet? I thought the 35mm might have been a 1.8/2 but it’s another 2.8 to join the other 2!

think it's like the canon RF i.e. external zooming out.

One thing that’s really attracting me towards Sony is the AF system. I just don’t get a good feeling about AutoFocus set to Continuous Auto on Nikon for fast moving subjects. The feedback through the optical viewfinder suggests the AF is completely missing which isn’t very reassuring.

in my experience D850 was still better than my A7RIII (I think you will hear argument both ways but for me with tracking birds I felt D850 gave better hit rate) but supposedly A7RIV is now better than D850. Z6/7 doesn't match any of these bodies.

Back