The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Reading the 45mm f2.8 story it seems clear that Sigma have a mindset that leads them towards wanting to make lenses that are sharper than the competition and that mindset may be one that's difficult to move away from with a lens like a 24-70mm f2.8 but maybe it'll be easier to do if the 45mm f2.8 is a success. We also need to keep in mind that going for lovely bokeh could have implications for continuous focus (as it seems with the 45mm f2.8) and that could be unacceptable for a 24-70mm f2.8.

I hope Sigma can make smaller and lighter lenses but I'll believe it when I see it especially if it's a zoom priced at the higher end of the market. They might do it with some primes though.

I'd hope that Sigma would find it profitable to make lenses tailored towards sharpness and an additional range designed for rendering instead, however I have some doubts that such a second tier would generate enough sales in a market obsessed with numbers to justify the investment. The problem with the new Sigma f2.8 was that it doesn't hit enough of the right spots to be interesting: not small like the Samyang 35 f2.8, not fast enough like a traditional standard lens, not cheap enough for the small aperture and the extra external bits & pieces just add to the cost. I have a feeling that a lot of people will look at it and think "but I can buy a used ART 35 or 50 for that much" and therefore pass it over for something more exciting.

Certainly a few will pick it up, but the most significant qualities of the lens won't be obvious to most, and probably wouldn't be a feature of their photography. However I reckon in 5 years time it will become a legend, and will be sought after *once it's out of production*.

Last edited:
Yup.

Until things change I think that we'll see more lenses that are relatively big and built more for sharpness across the frame with minimised vignetting etc because that's what most people on the net at least seem to want. Anything smaller and possibly more compromised in these areas will probably be dismissed as rubbish.

I'd hope that Sigma would find it profitable to make lenses tailored towards sharpness and an additional range designed for rendering instead, however I have some doubts that such a second tier would generate enough sales in a market obsessed with numbers to justify the investment. The problem with the new Sigma f2.8 was that it doesn't hit enough of the right spots to be interesting: not small like the Samyang 35 f2.8, not fast enough like a traditional standard lens, not cheap enough for the small aperture and the extra external bits & pieces just add to the cost. I have a feeling that a lot of people will look at it and think "but I can buy a used ART 35 or 50 for that much" and therefore pass it over for something more exciting.

Certainly a few will pick it up, but the most significant qualities of the lens won't be obvious to most, and probably wouldn't be a feature of their photography. However I reckon in 5 years time it will become a legend, and will be sought after *once it's out of production*.

We will all be using medium format mirrorless by then with f/0.5 lenses which fit in your back pocket.

Phone is such a last century name, maybe one day it'll be dropped. VOI or over something else seems another way forward and I don't think we'll be calling anyone as everyone will be already connected, we'll just drop in and out of the ongoing conversation / info exchange.

I say we but I wont. I'll still be writing letters and not turning my old PAYG phone on for weeks at a time.

Phone is such a last century name, maybe one day it'll be dropped. VOI or over something else seems another way forward and I don't think we'll be calling anyone as everyone will be already connected, we'll just drop in and out of the ongoing conversation / info exchange.

I say we but I wont. I'll still be writing letters and not turning my old PAYG phone on for weeks at a time.

Call it a communicator.

It's all going a bit Star Trek. I see more and more people now using their phone like they do in 60's Star Trek where they put it on speaker and then hold it in front of their face to talk into it.

They do it out in public, in supermarket, where everyone else can hear what the other person is saying. WTF. Why?!?! Has people forgot how to use a phone like a phone? Don't get me started in video calling in public...

In a phone.

iPhone 19

Who knows maybe they will do away with the need for a handset all together and implant a chip in your head and your brain becomes the processor and your eyes the lens.

Be able to s*** out prints and p*** out digital files.

Docking stations could be fun.

Last edited:
iPhone 19

Who knows maybe they will do away with the need for a handset all together and implant a chip in your head and your brain becomes the processor and your eyes the lens.

Government hacking your brain through the phone whilst you are asleep! o_Oo_Oo_O

Government hacking your brain through the phone whilst you are asleep! o_Oo_Oo_O

Won't be any government, the worlds population will be reduced to just a few thousand due to global warming.

The guy with the biggest stick will be king.

iPhone 19

Seen the movie "Upgrade"? It's worth a watch :D

Anon was interesting too and maybe strangely possible but not as much fun as Upgrade.

They say 1.5cm shorter but it looks more than that.

I think that's an approximate mock-up

but 15mm & 30g less is better than I expected

Pretty good price compared to the U.K on the A9II.

Considering the price the A7RIV was when it launched on there and what it is now, could see this maybe drop to just over 3k in the New Year.

https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/4048/sony_alpha_a9_ii_mirrorless_digital_camera_(body_only) £3599 Pre-order stock available from the 11th Nov.

https://panamoz.com/digital-cameras/sony/sony-alpha-a9-ii-mirrorless-digital-camera-body-only.html £3690 Available now and with a 3 year warranty.

Could end up being cheaper than a U.K A9, which is a bit nuts.

Last edited:
Pretty good price compared to the U.K on the A9II.

Considering the price the A7RIV was when it launched on there and what it is now, could see this maybe drop to just over 3k in the New Year.

https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/4048/sony_alpha_a9_ii_mirrorless_digital_camera_(body_only) £3599 Pre-order stock available from the 11th Nov.

https://panamoz.com/digital-cameras/sony/sony-alpha-a9-ii-mirrorless-digital-camera-body-only.html £3690 Available now and with a 3 year warranty.

Could end up being cheaper than a U.K A9, which is a bit nuts.
I'd be tempted if it did drop to 3k

E-infinity does do some black Friday/cyber Monday deals. So might be worth waiting...

I am not so sure you would imagine the price of the A9 would drop a bit as well. Not sure if there is £1400 worth of improvements in the A9II.
Probably your right mate.

No one has mentioned any big real world improvement on review's I've seen

Probably your right mate.

No one has mentioned any big real world improvement on review's I've seen

I haven't seen anything either, it all seems stuff that would be nice to have but maybe not that important to justify the extra cost, well for me anyway.

Better grip, better evf, 2 x UHS-II etc.

I might get another A9 in the New Year if the prices drop a bit more, but it will be to replace one of my A7III's rather than another body.

Last edited:
I haven't seen anything either, it all seems stuff that would be nice to have but maybe not that important to justify the extra cost, well for me anyway.

Better grip, better evf, 2 x UHS-II etc.
It doesn't have better evf.

If Sony didn't release the lock on tracking mode on the A9. Definitely would be tempted by the mk 2

The extra mechanical shutter fps is very welcomed, not sure it's worth £1400 though ;)

The extra mechanical shutter fps is very welcomed, not sure it's worth £1400 though ;)

I haven't had my A9 that long but I have shot 4 weddings with it now and a few other bits and bobs and haven't used the mechanical shutter yet.

Really the only thing I would really like from the A9II is the anti flicker and the deeper grip.

But can live without them to save £1400.

Last edited:
The a9II is said to have improved AF and iso too so the bits all start to add up -not sure i want one though .
Rob.

The a9II is said to have improved AF and iso too so the bits all start to add up -not sure i want one though .
Rob.

Nobody has really shown that in any of the reviews though apart from one and he didn’t do a comparison. It doesn’t seem to be a real factor or others would have mentioned it. It is the same sensor so any improvements would be minimal.

That's why I said -said to have, like you I have not seen a comparison it will be a few weeks before any real world test show up .
Rob.

So we expecting any A7iii Black Friday deals? John Lewis £1100 price like earlier in the year with a 2-3 warranty would be lush.

Edit - hhhhmm I wonder how much that Sigma 24-70 with retail at.

Last edited:
The piece may be user incompetence or click bait but there are lots of people posting that she's right but of course they could be all internet fantasists who've never touched the camera so I thought I'd ask.

I've had a quick play with Axxxx cameras in the family, I forget the model numbers but they're the ones without an EVF, and I didn't notice anything amiss at the time but it's just been quick plays over the years.

Back