The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The piece may be user incompetence or click bait but there are lots of people posting that she's right but of course they could be all internet fantasists who've never touched the camera so I thought I'd ask.

I've had a quick play with Axxxx cameras in the family, I forget the model numbers but they're the ones without an EVF, and I didn't notice anything amiss at the time but it's just been quick plays over the years.

Its he btw.

I have used A6400, A6300 and A6500 in the shops and open days. They seemed to work just fine tbh.

The piece may be user incompetence or click bait but there are lots of people posting that she's right but of course they could be all internet fantasists who've never touched the camera so I thought I'd ask.

I've had a quick play with Axxxx cameras in the family, I forget the model numbers but they're the ones without an EVF, and I didn't notice anything amiss at the time but it's just been quick plays over the years.

I have had an A6000 & A6400 didn't find them laggy.

So. Does the eye af work better with native lenses, or will it still work with third party?
I’m thinking Siggy Art.

So. Does the eye af work better with native lenses, or will it still work with third party?
I’m thinking Siggy Art.

It works very well with the ARTs, I use the 35 and have used the 50. Hit rate is high, 1st party lenses do AF that little faster as a whole but that's to be expected.

It works very well with the ARTs, I use the 35 and have used the 50. Hit rate is high, 1st party lenses do AF that little faster as a whole but that's to be expected.

Thanks very much.
Tempted to give it a go.
Although I don’t need another system ..

Thanks very much.
Tempted to give it a go.
Although I don’t need another system ..

What are you currently shooting?

Ive been shooting ARTs since they were released on various systems (24/35/50). The performance on my A7iii has been better than on other cameras including my D750 (I think you're familiar with that cameras performance). The optics combined with eye AF and mirrorless accuracy and fast FPS takes the lens to another level ime.

Was thinking about the A9ii but the A9 is at a price Im happy with paying over the A7iii (in terms of additional features) and the A9ii doesn't offer anything ground breaking for that much extra cash. Looking forward to trying it, I also checked out Canikons offerings but the price of the A9 and what it offers is at the moment untouchable. Canon has no lenses, upcoming stuff doesn't interest me and Nikons roadmap doesn't interest me either and the cameras aren't as capable (although cheaper).

I see you sold the R?

Last edited:
Was thinking about the A9ii but the A9 is at a price Im happy with paying over the A7iii (in terms of additional features) and the A9ii doesn't offer anything ground breaking for that much extra cash. Looking forward to trying it, I also checked out Canikons offerings but the price of the A9 and what it offers is at the moment untouchable. Canon has no lenses, upcoming stuff doesn't interest me and Nikons roadmap doesn't interest me either and the cameras aren't as capable (although cheaper).

I see you sold the R?

its an awesome camera. the added external dial are nice too :) im sure you'll love it. the back out free silent shooting takes a bit of getting used to.

yes really liked the eos r. the EF lenses work brilliantly too. the fps being so slow was an issue though. im thinking to give the z6 a try out.

its an awesome camera. the added external dial are nice too :) im sure you'll love it. the back out free silent shooting takes a bit of getting used to.

yes really liked the eos r. the EF lenses work brilliantly too. the fps being so slow was an issue though. im thinking to give the z6 a try out.

I find Im using silent shutter a fair amount more and moving shots are a bit crap on the A7iii (distortion), one thing I didn't realise is it does 1/32000, which is a pleasant surprise for me (how the heck did I miss that!) FW5 seems like a huge update. I think I can work with the 5fps MS as not doing much flash stuff anymore.

Overall, spending some time looking at both Canikons offerings I think the Nikon Z6 is probably the best out of the 'other' cameras. Are you no shooting the A9 anymore or is it GAS?

I find Im using silent shutter a fair amount more and moving shots are a bit crap on the A7iii (distortion), one thing I didn't realise is it does 1/32000, which is a pleasant surprise for me (how the heck did I miss that!) FW5 seems like a huge update. I think I can work with the 5fps MS as not doing much flash stuff anymore.

Overall, spending some time looking at both Canikons offerings I think the Nikon Z6 is probably the best out of the 'other' cameras. Are you no shooting the A9 anymore or is it GAS?

i shot a couple of weddings with the a9 and it was a bit of a pain to have to change to mechanical whenever i needed the flash. even though i customised a button to change the shutter type, its something to be aware of.

yeah the finally caught up with fuji offering the extended shutter speed. its a nice option to have.

providing i don't loose too much, i wouldn't mind trying the various other options. excluding the panasonic as seems the focus is pretty poor with that.

i shot a couple of weddings with the a9 and it was a bit of a pain to have to change to mechanical whenever i needed the flash. even though i customised a button to change the shutter type, its something to be aware of.

yeah the finally caught up with fuji offering the extended shutter speed. its a nice option to have.

providing i don't loose too much, i wouldn't mind trying the various other options. excluding the panasonic as seems the focus is pretty poor with that.

Yeah, I can see that being an issue. 5FPS is so slow now we have become accustomed to much faster FPS.

Id also avoid Panasonic, what were they thinking?!

5fps with flash would be fast enough for me, I actually only shoot at 8fps in the A73 in H, never in H+.

5fps with flash would be fast enough for me, I actually only shoot at 8fps in the A73 in H, never in H+.

i agree with flash its fine. but prefer to be using higher generally. so leaving it in mechanical wasn't really an option.
8fps is just about right for me generally.

i agree with flash its fine. but prefer to be using higher generally. so leaving it in mechanical wasn't really an option.
8fps is just about right for me generally.
Going to have to watch how I shoot, 20fps = lots of culling.

A7iii and 28 gone, need to figure out how to keep the 85. Should have some random gear upstairs that can pay for it though. Anybody need an AD360 :)

What are you currently shooting?

Ive been shooting ARTs since they were released on various systems (24/35/50). The performance on my A7iii has been better than on other cameras including my D750 (I think you're familiar with that cameras performance). The optics combined with eye AF and mirrorless accuracy and fast FPS takes the lens to another level ime.

Z6. Native 35, 50, 85 primes with kit 24-70f4
All great lenses
Really happy with it. No plans to let it go.
But I’m thinking the eye af of Sony would be useful indoors at Christmas. Not a done deal by any means

Thanks. Any ideas about battery charger.

I thought those two lenses would do me but the 24-105 isn't wide enough for architecture and street portraits if space is tight (e.g. Whitby).
So got a lightly used 16-35 F4. That's become my favourite especially for video, and with APS-C mode you can still zoom in quite a bit if need be .

My finger is hovering over the buy button on that lens, it looks sooo nice in reviews.

Silly question how do you turn on APS-C mode (not read the manual sorry).

I've been looking at options but finding it hard to let go of the Sony A9 and GM lenses....... @twist you won't be disappointed..
When I do use mine, its always on AF-C, Eye-AF with silent black out free shooting. Depending on the scene I switch between Low, Medium and High FPS settings.
Ergonomically speaking, the Nikon Z or Fuji XH bodies are probably the best out of the mirrorless systems.
I am going to keep thinking long and hard about what I want to do......

Some old photos........

A9 + 24-70 GM
35873133330_3a76b93d41_c.jpg

36226199836_4a79d14467_c.jpg

35463090393_73d05dd50b_c.jpg

A9 + 70-200 GM
24170887598_b8b498ef70_c.jpg

37992031502_485b48224f_c.jpg

24170878018_53318f2cd5_c.jpg

Last edited:
I've been looking at options but finding it hard to let go of the Sony A9 and GM lenses....... @twist you won't be disappointed..
When I do use mine, its always on AF-C, Eye-AF with silent black out free shooting. Depending on the scene I switch between Low, Medium and High FPS settings.
Ergonomically speaking, the Nikon Z or Fuji XH bodies are probably the best out of the mirrorless systems.
I am going to keep thinking long and hard about what I want to do......

Some old photos........

A9 + 24-70 GM
35873133330_3a76b93d41_c.jpg

36226199836_4a79d14467_c.jpg

35463090393_73d05dd50b_c.jpg

A9 + 70-200 GM
24170887598_b8b498ef70_c.jpg

37992031502_485b48224f_c.jpg

24170878018_53318f2cd5_c.jpg

I don’t really find the Sony’s uncomfortable, they feel fine to me. I’m not one of them that doesn’t use a camera because I can’t be bothered to carry it, image quality and af performance are no.1 and 2 for me.

I think you’d be mad to sell up, you have the best of the best and paid top prices.

Last edited:
I don’t really find the Sony’s uncomfortable, they feel fine to me. I’m not one of them that doesn’t use a camera because I can’t be bothered to carry it, image quality and af performance are no.1 and 2 for me.

I think you’d be mad to sell up, you have the best of the best and paid top prices.

I am of the same opinion.

Do the Nikon Z's have better ergonomics? Yes they do. However I have never found the handling of any of the Sony bodies I have used to have been an issue.

Often seem's just s tick to beat Sony with as there isn't that many other negative's.

Your completely right, I am just going to focus on using it more..... why downgrade to something else.... pointless. :D

Last edited:
I am of the same opinion.

Do the Nikon Z's have better ergonomics? Yes they do. However I have never found the handling of any of the Sony bodies I have used to have been an issue.

Often seem's just s tick to beat Sony with as there isn't that many other negative's.

Ha ha, dont forget the horrible menus that nobody uses more than once. Anyway, Canons are by far the worse imo.

Last edited:
The only problem with Sony bodies, or any modern mirrorless is that they are too short, there is no place for the pinky to grip. Nothing a little half case won't fix.

The only problem with Sony bodies, or any modern mirrorless is that they are too short, there is no place for the pinky to grip. Nothing a little half case won't fix.
I never had that problem as I use a grip .... no need for battery changes and easy to shoot vertically too.

Attachments

• A9&Grip.jpeg
    A9&Grip.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 23
I never had that problem as I use a grip .... no need for battery changes and easy to shoot vertically too.

Too big and I find vertical grip takes up too much room (in the case), adds bulk and weight and a waste of money.

I had one on a 5D2, didn't get it for the 5D3 and 5D4.

It won't fit standing up in the case.

eHcjpv0.jpg

Last edited:
Too big and I find vertical grip takes up too much room (in the case), adds bulk and weight and a waste of money.

I had one on a 5D2, didn't get it for the 5D3 and 5D4.

It won't fit standing up in the case.

eHcjpv0.jpg

I am sure you can fit one in...... also the grip inst as big as DSLR versions. :D
I find it works better with my 70-200mm lens.

I am sure you can fit one in...... also the grip inst as big as DSLR versions. :D
I find it works better with my 70-200mm lens.

I always used a grip with my dslrs and I have a couple of the Sony grips but have never used them.

The wee half case adds enough extra bulk to make it comfortable for me. Would maybe use a grip with a longer lens.

Back