The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

It's interesting that of my top 10 photos on flickr, there isn't a single one now that was taken with my D610, and the only image that wasn't taken with my A7 is an infrared image shot using a converted D70. 2 of the pictures were shot using the Samyang 50 f1.4 that I only had for a couple of weeks before selling it to buy the 24-105, and I wish I'd been able to keep that lens. One of the pictures was taken with my council house 35 f2.8 and one with a manual focus Nikkor 135 f2.8.

I have worked to promote my pictures in recent months, but never the less it's a change I'd not have expected.
Anything I put in Sony A7iii group gets hundreds of views even if it's boring, also the groups for specific lens seem to get a lot of attention perhaps from people thinking of buying. The RX100 groups are similar.

Quite a good example of this over 700 hits but I only put it on to host for a weather forum
Passing of Summer by Colin Grice, on Flickr

Last edited:
Anything I put in Sony A7iii group gets hundreds of views even if it's boring, also the groups for specific lens seem to get a lot of attention perhaps from people thinking of buying. The RX100 groups are similar.

Quite a good example of this over 700 hits but I only put it on to host for a weather forum
Agreed very group, camera and lens specific as to how many views a lot of the time (y)

Pretty sure most of the views are coming from a couple of mono-only groups, though I could be wrong.

Friedman e-book on the A7 - is it worth buying? I'm learning a lot from YT videos about my (new to me) A7ii, and came across one of his videos and liked his straightforward and practical delivery style. Has anyone here got any opinions?

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/

(I suppose a lot of more experienced users will not need these sorts of guides, but I find them very helpful.)

Friedman e-book on the A7 - is it worth buying? I'm learning a lot from YT videos about my (new to me) A7ii, and came across one of his videos and liked his straightforward and practical delivery style. Has anyone here got any opinions?

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/

(I suppose a lot of more experienced users will not need these sorts of guides, but I find them very helpful.)

I really liked Gary Friedman books when I had them for Sony A57 and A99.
I have not bothered with them since but I imagine the quality of the information is still as good.

If you are interested I'd be open to selling my A7 book by Brian Smith - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brian-Smith-Author-Sony-A7r/dp/B01DHNCPM2/
Obviously I can't match the kindle version price for a paperback but if you are interested I think I have a sales thread somewhere lol

Nice. What brought on the change?

Few things...

Using silent shutter more often for moving subjects
Better EVF is nice but not a big thing as I found the A7iii just fine
20 FPS could be fun (or a chore culling)
1/32000 will be useful as I shoot wide open all the time
FW5 A9 update - real time tracking for stills and video
AF box colour change will be welcome

The A9 is a bargain at the moment, A9ii didn't offer enough for me to spend so much. Canikon stuff still needs work, their roadmaps don't interest me at all and they have little / no 3rd party support.

Few things...

The A9 is a bargain at the moment, A9ii didn't offer enough for me to spend so much. Canikon stuff still needs work, their roadmaps don't interest me at all and they have little / no 3rd party support.
Nice

The A9 does look to be a good price and so does the A7III but my A7 seems to do almost everything I want :D

I'm currently lusting after a new lens and these are on the list of possibles, Voigtlander 50mm f2, 50mm f1.2, Sigma 45mm f2.8. Also thinking about a 17/18 or 20mm or maybe even a wide zoom like a Tamron 17-35mm but I might just not bother as it's only gas.

The A9 does look to be a good price and so does the A7III but my A7 seems to do almost everything I want :D

I'm currently lusting after a new lens and these are on the list of possibles, Voigtlander 50mm f2, 50mm f1.2, Sigma 45mm f2.8. Also thinking about a 17/18 or 20mm or maybe even a wide zoom like a Tamron 17-35mm but I might just not bother as it's only gas.

50/1.2 and sell the 40/1.2 Keep the CV35 too.

Few things...

The Sony A9 is great, you won't regret it. Silent black-out free shooting at 20fps with AF/AE calculations at 60fps is pretty impressive :D

I think Pentax still being around is the biggest surprise.

I think Pentax are cleaver in that they much smaller costs and just focus on feeding their hardcore users, whether that will be enough in the long term for them to survive who knows.

Their medium format stuff while not shifting a huge amount of units I read somewhere is a huge profit driver for them.

I think Pentax should start up the production lines for the old Asahi Takumar lenses, undercut Cosina's Voigtlander lenses and take over the 'manual focus on mirrorless' world :p

50/1.2 and sell the 40/1.2 Keep the CV35 too.

The thing is that I'm not sure that the 50mm f1.2 is significantly different to the 40mm f1.2 to make changing worthwhile.

The 50mm f2 may bring something different as it may be very good throughout the frame and into the corners which other Voigtlanders tend not to be as they seem to be optimised for other things so the 50mm f2 plus the 40mm f1.2 and 35mm f1.4 could give three quite different looks.

I think Pentax should start up the production lines for the old Asahi Takumar lenses, undercut Cosina's Voigtlander lenses and take over the 'manual focus on mirrorless' world :p

I'm pretty sure it'll be relatively easy to undercut Voigtlander on price but build and image quality / look for their intended use may be a challenge.

I do wish that we had more choice at the good enough and characterful end of the market. Something along the lines of the Minolta Rokkor range but in fe mount. The problem is that in their day these lenses weren't cheap and possibly wouldn't be today.

"In an interview with Nikkei back in August, Nikon CEO Toshikazu Umatate stated that although imaging profits had fallen to 1/6th of its peak back in 2012, he expected profits to bounce back to ¥20 billion ($188.7 million) within three years.
Now Nikon is admitting that it overestimated how much its new Z Series line of full-frame mirrorless cameras would brighten its prospects."

Maybe anyone thinking profits could bounce back is on crack.

It's maybe amazing that anyone is in this business. Maybe in 10/20 years time the whole of the interchangeable lens camera business will be a Leica like entity. Lenses may well carry on a bit longer as I assume developing a new lens is something that can be done by an artisan or 7 (see what I did there :D) on a relatively small budget but camera bodies and sensors and animal eye detect algorithms must surely be on a cost level that'd make anyone currently in the business doubt the viability of bothering and make any new player think they must be mad to enter the market.

"In an interview with Nikkei back in August, Nikon CEO Toshikazu Umatate stated that although imaging profits had fallen to 1/6th of its peak back in 2012, he expected profits to bounce back to ¥20 billion ($188.7 million) within three years.
Now Nikon is admitting that it overestimated how much its new Z Series line of full-frame mirrorless cameras would brighten its prospects."

Maybe anyone thinking profits could bounce back is on crack.

It's maybe amazing that anyone is in this business. Maybe in 10/20 years time the whole of the interchangeable lens camera business will be a Leica like entity. Lenses may well carry on a bit longer as I assume developing a new lens is something that can be done by an artisan or 7 (see what I did there :D) on a relatively small budget but camera bodies and sensors and animal eye detect algorithms must surely be on a cost level that'd make anyone currently in the business doubt the viability of bothering and make any new player think they must be mad to enter the market.

The Z series to date has been a massive flop for them. I am guessing they thought that no matter what they shipped out would be swallowed up by the Nikon masses without thinking and that hasn't been the case. I guess that is why they have dropped the price on them so much already, which you would have thought will have a massive impact on any profit projections they had.

I read something online somewhere a couple of months ago and some guy had worked out a formula for estimating how many units where being sold on Amazon. It worked out that for every 32 (or something like that) x A7III that was being sold since the Z's launched 1 x Z camera was sold and that was including both the Z6 & Z7 models. That is nuts when you consider that the A7III is a an older camera that many people had already bought.

Last edited:
The Z series to date has been a massive flop for them. I am guessing they thought that no matter what they shipped out would be swallowed up by the Nikon masses without thinking and that hasn't been the case. I guess that is why they have dropped the price on them so much already which you would have thought will have a massive impact on any profit projections they had.

I read something online somewhere a couple of months ago and some guy had worked out a formula for estimating how many units where being sold on Amazon. It worked out that for every 32 (or something like that) x A7III that was being sold since the Z's launched 1 x Z camera was sold that was including both the Z6 & Z7 models. That is nuts when you consider that the A7III is a an older camera that many people had already bought.

I still don’t understand why they left a second card slot off and alienated a big chunk of their market. For what it’s cost them to put one in (couple of quid?) it seems a silly omission and I’m sure they would’ve sold far more bodies to those already in Nikon. But instead they all jumped to Sony and now Nikon have to pull something special out of the bag to even get people to consider switching back.

Sony have done really well with their Full-Frame FE mirrorless system and seem to be on a positive run. Technology wise.... they are way a head, look at the original Sony A9, it's still pretty much still a high-end leading body, given its age, that's pretty good going.
You have to remember than Sony started off with a single slot body which was far from perfect, the system also had a very small number of lenses, just like the Nikon Z system. However Nikon should have evaluated Sony marketing strategy and done their own research, having dual memory slots and better AF would have only gained them more customers.

The Z series to date has been a massive flop for them. I am guessing they thought that no matter what they shipped out would be swallowed up by the Nikon masses without thinking and that hasn't been the case. I guess that is why they have dropped the price on them so much already, which you would have thought will have a massive impact on any profit projections they had.

I read something online somewhere a couple of months ago and some guy had worked out a formula for estimating how many units where being sold on Amazon. It worked out that for every 32 (or something like that) x A7III that was being sold since the Z's launched 1 x Z camera was sold and that was including both the Z6 & Z7 models. That is nuts when you consider that the A7III is a an older camera that many people had already bought.

I remember reading Thom Hogan saying that when Canon and Nikon launched their mirrorless range they'd take Sonys market off them and they'd (Sony) be back to the market share they had with their DSLR's. If I could be bothered I'd find the quote but I'm sure that's pretty much what he said.

I can't see any way to bring the boom days back other than some disruptive new tech, like what Apple did to the phone market. If anyone does something disruptive it could be more disruptive than mirrorless and could lead to at least short to medium turn winners but there'd be losers to. I do believe that the future belongs more to the electronic and new tech companies, I think the traditional camera and lens makers could be in for more nightmares.

I still don’t understand why they left a second card slot off and alienated a big chunk of their market. For what it’s cost them to put one in (couple of quid?) it seems a silly omission and I’m sure they would’ve sold far more bodies to those already in Nikon. But instead they all jumped to Sony and now Nikon have to pull something special out of the bag to even get people to consider switching back.

I switched to Sony purely for this reason in the first instance, I know several others that did as well. At the time I would accepted that the Nikon's weren't as good as I really didn't want to switch. Since then I have bought 7 Sony bodies and 15 lenses, I bought the first body the day after the spec of the Z's was confirmed. That would have been business that Nikon would have got if they had of included dual slots on the Z's.

Last edited:
Putting more things in at the start seems a sensible thing to do unless the bean counters are involved and then a few pence saved on each body looks very attractive and makes the difference. Add lost sales and the cost of adding the missing things in later to the equation and logic surely states that the bean counters should have been kept out of a few meetings.

Sony will shake up the market again when they put in a 35mm full-frame global shutter into their next A9 body :D

Yup.

For traditional camera users that's the main thing we can think of and which could come in the near future. Some sort of well emptying refilling and counting tech to effectively mean unlimited dr would help a bit too, maybe :D

Sony will shake up the market again when they put in a 35mm full-frame global shutter into their next A9 body :D

Sony didn’t need to do much with the a9ii, just address a couple niggles and somehow improve on what they had. The a9 was well ahead of its time and its still the best performer in its class along with a9ii. Can’t see the others beating the a9 at its price when they are still playing catch-up with the a7 series.

tbh not really :p

p.s. I don't see "downgrade" as a bad thing and I have done it a few times myself in the past :)
Well it might not be a downgrade for some, not everyone worries about specs :p
You're worse than jared and the northrups for 'clickbait' headlines ;) :p

It does make for grim reading though, but I don't read it as the end is near just that a major restructure needs to take place. We'll see, I could very well have some expensive paperweights in the future :eek:

I've said it for a while now, put me in charge of the 'design' of the camera and they'd sell like hotcakes ;) TBH they don't have to do much over the current Z's to get there:-

Dual slots
Connectivity for a proper grip
A7III matching AF
8-10fps with real time view.

Yes they'll still be the sports and wildlife shooters that will want more FPS, but if they brought out a camera like above it would have mass appeal once the lenses are in place.

I seem to remember Sony saying they'd been working on the A9 sensor for years and as it's been out years I expect they've got something else in the pipeline now probably for when Canon or Nikon, if they're still going, look like catching up a bit.

I still get a bit upset at the thought that compared to the Canon badge pulling power the importance of all other things is reduced for many people. Those Canon APS-C things being big sellers being a good example.

Well it might not be a downgrade for some, not everyone worries about specs :p
You're worse than jared and the northrups for 'clickbait' headlines ;) :p

It does make for grim reading though, but I don't read it as the end is near just that a major restructure needs to take place. We'll see, I could very well have some expensive paperweights in the future :eek:

I've said it for a while now, put me in charge of the 'design' of the camera and they'd sell like hotcakes ;) TBH they don't have to do much over the current Z's to get there:-

Dual slots
Connectivity for a proper grip
A7III matching AF
8-10fps with real time view.

Yes they'll still be the sports and wildlife shooters that will want more FPS, but if they brought out a camera like above it would have mass appeal once the lenses are in place.

I agree, Nikon just need to make it better in some key area's which I don't think they will have any trouble doing.
What I think Nikon have done is try and protect their DSLR sales by making the current Z bodies weaker in some key area's.

I've said it for a while now, put me in charge of the 'design' of the camera and they'd sell like hotcakes ;) TBH they don't have to do much over the current Z's to get there:-…

Not all but certainly some Japanese companies have a very strange way of looking at things. It seems to be about honour and losing face. Some of them would rather the company go under than admit they've made even the smallest mistake. Faced with evidence no matter how convincing some of them just will not budge. Maybe once the person telling them they're wrong has died of old age they'll miraculously change but not while their enemy is alive and able to see it.

I seem to remember Sony saying they'd been working on the A9 sensor for years and as it's been out years I expect they've got something else in the pipeline now probably for when Canon or Nikon, if they're still going, look like catching up a bit.

I still get a bit upset at the thought that compared to the Canon badge pulling power the importance of all other things is reduced for many people. Those Canon APS-C things being big sellers being a good example.
Brands do lure people, it's a fact of life. Speak to none togs and quite a number don't even know that Sony make high end cameras so if such folk go on to buy a camera the chances are they won't look beyond Canikon. If I'm being honest, it's probably why I initially went for Olympus over Panasonic. In my head Olympus were a camera maker whereas Panasonic was a TV maker, I'm sure some look at Sony that way too.

I agree, Nikon just need to make it better in some key area's which I don't think they will have any trouble doing.
What I think Nikon have done is try and protect their DSLR sales by making the current Z bodies weaker in some key area's.
I don't know what the reason, but Canikon have baffled me with some of their decision making over the past few years.

I don't know what the reason, but Canikon have baffled me with some of their decision making over the past few years.
Yeah we will never know the truth.
Hey I might just go full left-field and move to Fuji :eek: lol

Back