The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

What’s the latest A9 firmware and is there a guide to setting it all up for the new real time tracking?

Nice! Mine also arrived yesterday!

:eek:

A9 club is growing fast.
I guess the game changing nature is still relevant today as much as it was when it was released. :)
Will we see any more firmware updates for it, or will Sony’s focus have shifted entirely on the A9 II.
Also find it curious why nobody else has bought the sensor for their own bodies as I’m pretty sure Sony make all their sensors available to 3rd parties.
Meanwhile Sony market share continues to grow.

My new A7ii arrived yesterday. Spent last night going through menus etc so all good to go.
First time with a Sony, and first time full frame.
Interested to see the results I get
I'm keeping my G80 and 100-400mm for wildlife and will use the Sony for everything else.
Got the Sony and kit lens brand new for £650 so well chuffed.
It gets me started with sony and I can build from there hopefully.
Ultimately I'd like something like an A7iii and 200-600mm and then I would sell the Panasonic kit,
but couldn't afford anything like this at the moment.
I might pick up an adaptor and try my old Olympus om lenses and Minolta film lenses.

I'll post up some images if I get anything decent

Last edited:
:eek:

A9 club is growing fast.
I guess the game changing nature is still relevant today as much as it was when it was released. :)
Will we see any more firmware updates for it, or will Sony’s focus have shifted entirely on the A9 II.
Also find it curious why nobody else has bought the sensor for their own bodies as I’m pretty sure Sony make all their sensors available to 3rd parties.
Meanwhile Sony market share continues to grow.

The firmware update and indoor shooting season has done it for me!

That's a pretty decent price, a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. Will probably drop to around £899-999 after initial launch you would have thought.

I wouldn't buy one though as I would only ever use it as a back up lens and the lighter weight Tamron suits me much better for that.

I think it will sell well, for people that will use this a lot the 24mm end will add a lot it makes a good option versus the GM. Looking forward to seeing it reviewed. I guess the eBay 10% will make it even more appealing once it's available.

Lovely footie pictures Jonney. There's pitches just a few hundred yards from where I'm sat now but I'd never attempt anything like that.

Anyone had an email from Sony regarding the 16-35GM and software issues?

A9 has 5.1 firmware so will get that sorted later then put the A7iii up for sale.

Official Sony UK recall for the Sony FE 16-35mm f2.8 GM lens.... looks like mine has to go back :(
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lenses-e-mount-lenses/sel1635gm/articles/00235203

Notice for free repair: FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM “SEL1635GM” Interchangeable Lens - 14 November 2019

Applicable Products and Categories of This Article
We have found that, for a small amount of the E-mount lens FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM “SEL1635GM” , the camera may not operate correctly when the applicable SEL1635GM lens is attached .
If you have one or more of the applicable products listed below, and they are subject to this rare phenomenon (described below in more detail), you will be eligible for our free check & repair program. We will repair the affected lens, free of charge, until the 31st March 2023.
For more information, please check the details below.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused, and thank you for your understanding.

Phenomenon:
  • The camera may not operate correctly when the FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM lens is attached.
  • The display on the rear monitor of the camera may not work correctly when the FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM lens is attached.
How to proceed:
  • Only a limited quantity of the produced units are susceptible of being affected by this rare phenomenon. Please validate that your specific unit might indeed be affected using our Serial Number Checker.
  • If you are experiencing these symptoms, and your Serial Number is validated, please go to a nearby Authorised Service Centre to proceed to the free repair (you will be redirected to an Authorised Service Centre locator if your Serial Number is validated)

Serial number checker list

Where can I find my serial number?
The production serial number is inscribed on the plate located on the side of the lens.
servlet.FileDownload

Application Period for Free Repair Program
  • Valid until 31st March 2023

Im running 10.15.1 which is a new update so maybe that's why. On windows now and updating.
Phew, I must have done it before the 10.15.1 update then.... I would have been stuffed as I don't have any Windows devices! lol
How are you finding the A9 so far? Any negatives?

My new A7ii arrived yesterday. Spent last night going through menus etc so all good to go.
First time with a Sony, and first time full frame.
Interested to see the results I get
I'm keeping my G80 and 100-400mm for wildlife and will use the Sony for everything else.
Got the Sony and kit lens brand new for £650 so well chuffed.
It gets me started with sony and I can build from there hopefully.
Ultimately I'd like something like an A7iii and 200-600mm and then I would sell the Panasonic kit,
but couldn't afford anything like this at the moment.
I might pick up an adaptor and try my old Olympus om lenses and Minolta film lenses.

I'll post up some images if I get anything decent
The A7II gets a lot of flak as an “Unnecessary Upgrade” but I’ve found it to be excellent as an extra body with my a7rIII. You mention adapting old lenses, it’s my body of choice for this, I use basic dumb Fotodiox adapters with my small collection of Canon FD lenses and I love it.

Phew, I must have done it before the 10.15.1 update then.... I would have been stuffed as I don't have any Windows devices! lol
How are you finding the A9 so far? Any negatives?

Not used it, will wait for my protectors, will kick myself if I scratch a new screen.

Update done, now on 6.

Not used it, will wait for my protectors, will kick myself if I scratch a new screen.

Update done, now on 6.
I am the same........ slap protection on before you use it... lol :D
I am going to the camera dealership on Saturday to have a look at the latest Nikon and Fuji stuff...... somehow I doubt I will be leaving Sony yet.

I am the same........ slap protection on before you use it... lol :D
I am going to the camera dealership on Saturday to have a look at the latest Nikon and Fuji stuff...... somehow I doubt I will be leaving Sony yet.

I think you'll end up buying.

I think you'll end up buying.
Well, I need to drop of my 16-35 GM .... rude not to play with other stuff.
However I don't see a point in selling my Sony gear, losing some money and then buying a Nikon system for the same money yet take a downgrade in spec / performance.
Going back to Fuji would release some £££££ but I am not sure I will be happy with the Eye-AF / AF etc coming from the Sony systems.
Best option is to hold onto the Sony and use it more.
I would say the only lens I would really like is a 50mm f1.4 GM.

Well, I need to drop of my 16-35 GM .... rude not to play with other stuff.
However I don't see a point in selling my Sony gear, losing some money and then buying a Nikon system for the same money yet take a downgrade in spec / performance.
Going back to Fuji would release some £££££ but I am not sure I will be happy with the Eye-AF / AF etc coming from the Sony systems.
Best option is to hold onto the Sony and use it more.
I would say the only lens I would really like is a 50mm f1.4 GM.

Same but its a bit close to my 35, looks a great lens.

Back