The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Sucks when life gets in the way doesn’t it? :( By usual standards I’ve hardly used my cameras this year for one reason or another, although I’m getting a new puppy next week so that should make for some photo opportunities, although she’s bonkers at the mo and doesn’t sit still for a second :LOL:

Better treat yourself with the A9 so you won't miss the moment

OR make do with what you got lol as am very sure you will be fine

What have I missed

Nikon Nikon Nikon...

If I did this in a Nikon thread I'd have criticism and abuse PDQ but it happens time after time here... We've had Fuji Fuji Fuji now it's Nikon Nikon Nikon...

Aren't there threads for Nikons anymore?

I think I’ve found something that’s so much harder than choosing a camera or lens...... researching printer options! I’m trying to combine a general use printer with the potential to print photos too. It seems general opinion about printing it’s that it’s a money pit in ink and paper costs! I think I’ve found a sensible cost to quality compromise- Epson ecotank ET2710 (£156). It may not give the best quality but it sounds like it shouldn’t bankrupt me as ink costs are about £36 for a set of four colour 65ml ink refills. Dropping down to marrutt 230gsm archival Matt photo paper should hopefully make it a little cheaper at £17 for 50 sheets. Hopefully it gives me a chance to try printing to see if I like it.

I've had a home printer for along time but still on only my second A3 photo printer. My first was a HP which gave lovely or gorgeous even prints with no bother at all but had paper handling issues whereas my current Epson R2880 handles paper much better but I've struggled to get on top of the dreaded dark print issue, Google it :( It's best looked at as a gorgeous but high maintenance partner... Worth it? Possibly, but at times l want to just walk away.

Home printing can be expensive and time consuming and lead to a lot of hair tearing but at least you're in control of quality and timescales too as even though it can be a right royal PITA you can have a print in your hand hours after it was taken.

A set of cartridges for mine is £89. I've tried third party ones and have gone back to Epson. The only radical thing I've done is fitted an external waste ink box which was a doddle.

The 1/4000 shutter speed would annoy me and it did with other cameras. ND on, ND off, ND on and off again...

Anyway... enough Nikon! I hope, at least for a page or two. Please. It's like being on Luminous Landscape :D

Just to move things on. I don't think I've posted this. Taken with a Sony camera and a Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 at f5. On the way back from the shops she wanted a picture with the leaves.... Shame it was dead flat light and getting colder by the second.

E3rwBcP.jpg

Last edited:
A little tidy up has taken place.
Play nice Guys ( you know who you are)

Hmmm. I've been out so missed that. Did you wear one of those nice French maid outfits? Hope so...

Nikon Nikon Nikon...

If I did this in a Nikon thread I'd have criticism and abuse PDQ but it happens time after time here... We've had Fuji Fuji Fuji now it's Nikon Nikon Nikon...

Aren't there threads for Nikons anymore?

Relax. Sony is still the bestest ever.

If we can go through pages and pages about cars, watches, climate change denial etc etc a bit of talk about how the 750 isnt a match for the mighty Sony machine isn't that bad surely?

Anyway, I'm still having a chuckle about @snerkler entry level d850

Last edited:
Any idea of the Sony turnaround?

Don't have PRO support, not sure if I have 5? lenses bought in the UK

One of my A9 shutter buttons has become less sensitive to trigger AF - but the time you've pushed it down to trigger AF, it's right of the brink of releasing the shutter - which makes it annoying to work with for a multitude of reasons.

Not ideal for the busiest time of year.

Any idea of the Sony turnaround?

Don't have PRO support, not sure if I have 5? lenses bought in the UK

One of my A9 shutter buttons has become less sensitive to trigger AF - but the time you've pushed it down to trigger AF, it's right of the brink of releasing the shutter - which makes it annoying to work with for a multitude of reasons.

Not ideal for the busiest time of year.

That’s supposed to be a common issue with the A9 well shutter button problems are anyway although usually it’s a problem with it not working at all.

If it’s a uk model you could register for the pro support from memory it’s 2 bodies and 3 lenses from the list on their website.

Last edited:
Relax. Sony is still the bestest ever.

If we can go through pages and pages about cars, watches, climate change denial etc etc a bit of talk about how the 750 isnt a match for the mighty Sony machine isn't that bad surely?

Anyway, I'm still having a chuckle about @snerkler entry level d850

I like the meandering as it's often interesting and funny but the thread has been almost overtaken by other marque talk at times which doesn't tend to be too interesting to me especially if it's comparing an older DSLR to a mirrorless system, I'm just not interested in going down the aging conventional DSLR route again especially one with an annoying max shutter speed. If someone is seriously thinking of going from a Nikon DSLR to Sony mirrorless or vise versa then I can see the point but other than that talking older Nikon DSLR v Sony CSC in this thread for any length of time seems a bit pointless to me. Unless everyone is very bored and there's nothing Sony mirrorless related to talk and whinge about. Just MVHO.

I like the meandering as it's often interesting and funny but the thread has been almost overtaken by other marque talk at times which doesn't tend to be too interesting to me especially if it's comparing an older DSLR to a mirrorless system, I'm just not interested in going down the aging conventional DSLR route again especially one with an annoying max shutter speed. If someone is seriously thinking of going from a Nikon DSLR to Sony mirrorless or vise versa then I can see the point but other than that talking older Nikon DSLR v Sony CSC in this thread for any length of time seems a bit pointless to me. Unless everyone is very bored and there's nothing Sony mirrorless related to talk and whinge about. Just MVHO.

It was nothing to do with Nikon talk why this thread was cleaned up, things got nasty as they oft do sadly, seen it yesterday morn. Also, I've never seen this thread turn all Fuji, fuji, fuji, no idea where you got that? But I have seen the Nikon and Fuji threads turn just about all Sony. I think you know this too, c'mon

It was nothing to do with Nikon talk why this thread was cleaned up, things got nasty as they oft do sadly, seen it yesterday morn. Also, I've never seen this thread turn all Fuji, fuji, fuji, no idea where you got that? But I have seen the Nikon and Fuji threads turn just about all Sony. I think you know this too, c'mon

There was a time when if you wanted to talk Fuji this was the thread :D

I've no idea what happened yesterday, I had nothing to do with it and I didn't read it. All I was responding to was Jonneys question of what's going on and Addicks post quoting mine.

I don't spend a lot of time in the Nikon or Fuji threads and I mostly only post there if I come across an interesting article or link or something that I think might interest them. I think the last thing I posted in another marque thread was about the 58mm f0.95 in the Nikon thread as there are some example pictures on Luminous Landscape I thought they'd like to see. I usually don't see any point in posting that this Sony is better than that whatever as it can all get a bit fanboy and silly pdq and these days I'd rather read a book in my down time than that :D

I'll talk Fuji if you want :D actually, nm, yesterday I was back looking at A7RII bodies, some going locally for juicy prices with extras and I have had offers on my gear. But ... I'll always be at that.

Stop it.

I've been thinking what I want for Xmas. I usually buy my own presents but at least now I'm married the Mrs can wrap them for me :D

Tamron 17-28mm f2.8? Voigtlander 50mm f1.4 or f2? Sigma 45mm f2.8? Maybe an old film ere long lens?

They have good prices, they have the Hadley small pro for £39 less than I paid Wex in May this year.

I got mine at the same price as what Clifton are advertising them for now as WEX price matched an offer Jessops where doing at the time of 20% of all bags.

Wex were competitive against where I could find the bag at the time, I only looked for a few days. I think what swung it for Wex was they had the colour combo I preferred although when it arrived it wasn't anything like the picture on screen.

Anyway.
Just out of interest, there's a 2 year old Leica S007 and 3 lenses in the for sale section for an apparently reasonable £15k. This lot would be £45k new, the seller says. I may be wrong but going on what's selling and what's not selling on this site recently I'm not sure that'll be snapped up today. Good luck to the seller, I hope he gets a price he's happy with and a hassle free sale. It certainly puts Xmas presents and £40 saved on a bag into perspective.

PS.
If buying a Billingham bag today I'd buy the bigger version of the one I got as it's too small for a camera, snacks and bottes of water for two.

Last edited:
Wex were competitive against where I could find the bag at the time, I only looked for a few days. I think what swung it for Wex was they had the colour combo I preferred although when it arrived it wasn't anything like the picture on screen.

Anyway.
Just out of interest, there's a 2 year old Leica S007 and 3 lenses in the for sale section for an apparently reasonable £15k. This lot would be £45k new, the seller says. I may be wrong but going on what's selling and what's not selling on this site recently I'm not sure that'll be snapped up today. Good luck to the seller, I hope he gets a price he's happy with and a hassle free sale. It certainly puts Xmas presents and £40 saved on a bag into perspective.

PS.
If buying a Billingham bag today I'd buy the bigger version of the one I got as it's too small for a camera, snacks and bottes of water for two.

Yeah I have the Hadley Pro Small, 2 x Hadley Pro and the Hadley One all useful for different things.

What's the difference between the 2 steadyshot options?

The mode 1 is a standard IS mode - for any and all movement - so it's the default one to use for general shooting. Mode 2 is a 'panning' optimised mode, so it is providing stabilisation mostly on a single axis, and avoiding correcting for panning or side-to-side motion

Back