The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

People often say the 24-70mm f4 doesn't leave the 28-70mm kit lens far enough behind. They used to rave about the f4 on Luminous Landscape though.

Tamron 28-75mm f2.8?

People often say the 24-70mm f4 doesn't leave the 28-70mm kit lens far enough behind. They used to rave about the f4 on Luminous Landscape though.

Tamron 28-75mm f2.8?

I’ve the tamron and for it money it brilliant and some say it on par for iq and sharpness as the 24-70 2.8 GM

I though the A9 can detect whether it a Human Eye or Animal Eye to detect rather than us switching between them??

Is the 100-400mm with 1.4x giving as good quality as the 200-600mm at the long end?
If I was thinking of needing near 600mm I wouldn’t personally be looking at the 100-400 with the 1.4TC. It would be 560mm f8. Usually a lens won’t be as good with a teleconverter as a lens at the same focal length. If you need plus 400mm then the 200-600mm is the one to go with. If 400mm is enough and size/weight portability is helpful then the 100-400 is useful.

For my needs the 24-105 f4 and 100-400 pretty much covers me. I have the 70-200 f4 too but it’s not required as much as it would be if I had a 200-600.

So the 200-600 is internal not extending?

For anyone considering the 100-400 and 200-600 this review could be useful.

https://www.alphashooters.com/compare/sony-fe-200-600-vs-fe-100-400-gm/

The 200-600 and 100-400 both perform quite well. I’d love to try a 200-600 one day but it’s size being closer the Nikon 200-400 f4 I previously had that puts me off. The size of the 100-400 suits me and the reason I’ve not swapped. The fact I can get the 100-400 with A7RIII attached inside a F Stop small shallow ICU always amazes me. I’ve not tried one but from the dimension specs I’d expect the 200-600 with A7RIII attached to maybe fit in the F Stop Large Pro ICU but it would be tight. It would definitely fit inside the F Stop XL Pro ICU ok. The size difference from a Large Pro or XL Pro ICU down to a Small Shallow ICU is huge for me. I often take the 100-400 out in F Stops smallest bag, the Guru UL instead of the much bigger Ajna or Tilopa bags.

The 200-600 and 100-400 both perform quite well. I’d love to try a 200-600 one day but it’s size being closer the Nikon 200-400 f4 I previously had that puts me off. The size of the 100-400 suits me and the reason I’ve not swapped. The fact I can get the 100-400 with A7RIII attached inside a F Stop small shallow ICU always amazes me. I’ve not tried one but from the dimension specs I’d expect the 200-600 with A7RIII attached to maybe fit in the F Stop Large Pro ICU but it would be tight. It would definitely fit inside the F Stop XL Pro ICU ok. The size difference from a Large Pro or XL Pro ICU down to a Small Shallow ICU is huge for me. I often take the 100-400 out in F Stops smallest bag, the Guru UL instead of the much bigger Ajna or Tilopa bags.
You've mirrored my views exactly, my 100-400 kit + 1.4 TC fits neatly in a Hadley Large and I can include binoculars and even another body with a small lens!
I've looked at all the pixel peeping sites comparing the 2 lenses and in the real world I'm pushed to find any significant difference, I've seen that comparison you've linked to as well. Having said that, if I didn't already have a 100-400 then I'd go straight for the 200-600!

Last edited:

Both are pretty pricey lenses, are there any ‘cheap’ options?

No.
Maybe sigma will bring out a 150-600mm.
You can get both the Sony lenses for £1550 grey
Ta. I’m a bit surprised that Sigma or Tamron haven’t brought out a 100-400mm, they seem to be popular for the DSLRs.

Don’t forget the 100-400 is a GM

Budget friendly would be an adapted lens. I’m surprised tampon/sigma haven’t bought out mirrorless versions for any brand. Canon and Nikon are in the same position regarding a mirrorless lens but of course you can adapted a DSLR lens.

Are there any long A mount lenses that can be economically bought and used with an adapter on a Sony A7/9?

Just reading through the manual looking at how eye AF works and it says you assign a button to activate eye AF (such as AF-ON) and you have to constantly hold this button whilst half pressing the shutter. Can you set the eye af button to toggle on/off rather than having to constantly keep it pressed?

I have a Sigma 150-600mm Sport in Canon mount (along with a few others), how do they work adapted compared to native?

I use the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary on the A7 III, it works well. You are slightly limited compared to the native Sony lenses regarding burst speed, but everything works, Eye AF, tracking etc, just not as well as on a native lens. When I got mine there wasn't even a Sony option, and now there is I feel no need to 'upgrade' right away. If you already own the Sigma you may as well buy a used MC-11 and try it out, if you're not happy then sell on the adapter and it's cost you nothing.

Just reading through the manual looking at how eye AF works and it says you assign a button to activate eye AF (such as AF-ON) and you have to constantly hold this button whilst half pressing the shutter. Can you set the eye af button to toggle on/off rather than having to constantly keep it pressed?

EyeAF and Animal EyeAF is now automatic with latest firmware (you no longer need to assign a button).

That was the old system you half press the shutter button to activate it now.

Although personally I still like to use the button on the lenses for it.

I have eye AF assigned to the AF-ON but that’s because I most often use a single AF point rather than an area. Eye AF with automatically operated if an eye is picked up within the selected AF area, which in my case is pretty small being a single AF point. Assigning to the AF-ON just allows me to quickly activate eye AF across the whole frame. If I use a larger AF area option I wouldn’t need to assign eye AF to a button.

A recent favourite of mine :)
A7RIV+200-600
49154772641_04c1f2537c_b.jpg

I have eye AF assigned to the AF-ON but that’s because I most often use a single AF point rather than an area. Eye AF with automatically operated if an eye is picked up within the selected AF area, which in my case is pretty small being a single AF point. Assigning to the AF-ON just allows me to quickly activate eye AF across the whole frame. If I use a larger AF area option I wouldn’t need to assign eye AF to a button.
So if using single point AF you can't use that to focus and then activate eye AF, you have to have wide AF to use eye AF? In that case how do you select the face you want if there's a crowd of people?

So if using single point AF you can't use that to focus and then activate eye AF, you have to have wide AF to use eye AF? In that case how do you select the face you want if there's a crowd of people?

If you thinking of either a9 or a7rivjust put it in af live then away yay go nothing to worry

What this 28mm f2 like

Has lots of C.A, distortion and heavy vignetting. Your Tamron 28-75 is better at 28mm.

You can, either by half pressing the shutter button or using an assigned button on the camera or lens, you can activate eye a.f in all focus modes. You don't have to use wide. Wide is the easiest setting to use for real time tracking though for a single subject.

Last edited:
Yup like he says eye af works in all mode unlike Nikon

You need to use Sony to appreciate how well it's implemented especially in gen4. You don't even need to point it at a face. Just point the focus somewhere on the person and it'll find their face/eye!
If it can't it'll continue tracking them till it can find it again.

As said before the AF just works.

Back