The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Question Guys,

I’m currently used Capture 1 for Fuji. I know there is also a version for Sony. However my question is this, I was thinking of just upgrading to Capture 2020, will I be able to process both using this version?

Sigma 12-24 and MC-11 both returned today. Functionality was patchy, AF sometimes working and unpredictably sometimes not and it locked the shutter when it wasn't. I also wonder about precision of adapters, since the corners/edges of the images were inexplicably soft, and I know that UWA lenses have a problem when the adapter is not *precisely* the correct size (came across talk of shimming adapters with layers of paper).

:(

Wish I'd gone with the 'heart' and bought the Sammy 18mm now. We're off to India for a wedding on Saturday, and there's not time for it to arrive OK now. :p

Question Guys,

I’m currently used Capture 1 for Fuji. I know there is also a version for Sony. However my question is this, I was thinking of just upgrading to Capture 2020, will I be able to process both using this version?

It's a cut-down version that I understand is crippled without important functionality. That may be the same as the Fuj version, of course. The full version should be able to handle files from all makes.

What cards are people using in the A9?
These bad boys..... :D
a9_sd-jpeg.262133

Attachments

• A9_SD.jpeg
    A9_SD.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
What cards are people using in the A9?

Rather than putting my eggs in one basket I have matching pairs from 3 different brands - Adata (64GB), sandisk (64GB) and lexar (128GB).
All USH-II versions with close to 280-300-ish mb/s write speed.

Sorry and no offence intended at all but that is complete nonsense.

I really don't mean any offence to you but I have found what you have said above to be completely untrue.

While I am sure your a fantastic amateur photographer, I took over a million frames in the last year alone and know what works well for me and what doesn't. (y)
I know in theory the higher the pixel density/the more mp the more prone to camera shake but I've not found that for some reason. I've not changed my shutter speeds between 16mp body and a 45.7mp body. Doesn't make sense to me, but that's what I've found (y)

That certainly has not been my experience. I only know one other photographer who bought an A7RIV for weddings, he ended up selling it on again after only 2 weddings, took a big hit on what he paid for it and replaced it with an A9

The a.f is okay, but it just isn't as reliable as the A7III and no where near as good as the A9. Yes the A7RIV does have real time a.f but it doesn't work anywhere near as well as it does on the A9. Because of the huge resolution camera shake is also an issue so you have to use faster shutter speeds than I would be used too, which isn't ideal at all for dimly lit ceremonies and other low light situations.

I like the camera, just not for weddings. I knew it wouldn't be good for weddings before I bought it but I bought it for a separate project I am working on, not wedding related and I won't be using at a wedding again.

Quite a few people seem to think that a.f performance on the A7RIII is more reliable, perhaps it will improve with firmware updates but at the moment the A7RIV for me isn't as good as my other bodies for anything that moves.

I see your point....always good to hear first hand experience rather than reviews, thank you @f/2.8

Overall I find A7RIV more reliable than gen 3 bodies. I never felt there was much difference between A7III and A7RIII or at least not enough to pick one over the other.
I shoot wildlife a fair amount (inc. my toddler, doesn't get any wilder lol :D ).

Sometimes the RIII did feel more reliable shooting him. I feel its mostly because I was using a separate button for eyeAF telling the camera to explicitly look for eyes (you can always setup RIV do this also). With real-time AF in A7RIV it needs to work out if there's eyes in the frame along with having to process more information on the same processor as A7RIII. So logically sometimes it can fall short to A7RIII. But overall inc. in lower light situations or indoors A7RIV feel more reliable.

Also A7RIV focusses pretty darn well with 200-600+1.4x in good light. On A7RIII you only have slower CDAF with 200-600+1.4x and basically no tracking.

Thanks @nandbytes, very helpful info.

Just buy a A9, job done.
I hated working with the Sony A7R II 42.2mp files..... slows the whole process down.
I agree, for weddings 24mp is just right, so the Sony A7 III or A9. :)

I already have the a9, which is the one I use the most when shooting weddings. :)

My question was that for studio work, landscapes and wildlife, and the occasional use at weddings as second body, if it would be worth swapping my a7iii for the a7r IV

Decisions, decisions :puke:

Last edited:
I know in theory the higher the pixel density/the more mp the more prone to camera shake but I've not found that for some reason. I've not changed my shutter speeds between 16mp body and a 45.7mp body. Doesn't make sense to me, but that's what I've found (y)

How many weddings have you shot in that time frame?

Or maybe should ask how many weddings you have shot using both a high-res body and a 24 mp body, so that you can see the difference?

Last edited:
The discussion was about using an A7RIV for wedding photography, not taking pictures of your puppy.
Really, I thought it was about hi res sensors and camera shake?

Screenshot 2019-12-05 at 14.47.12.png

Everytime I read comments like this reminds me of my thread about why Canon didn't make slot 2 on the 5DMk4 to be UHS-II and there were a LOT of resistance on this forum!

I feel vindicated :D

I am not sure of the reason for resistance! Its not like we designed these cameras or 5D4. Its a silly design and a bottleneck. Ok it probably helps a little to have one UHS-II slot but will always be held back by the slower card.

How is the AF on this? I'm wondering if this is more my thing as I already have a full frame camera and lenses I am more than happy with.
Really I am after a camera for wildlife and if the autofocus on this is decent and it can use the 200-600mm then it may be ideal.

I have not used one, the A6400 was very good in terms of a.f but it has the real time tracking and I don’t think this one does.

It was the flagship apsc up until quite recently though.

Question Guys,

If you upgrade to the full version, yes. It covers all the main camera makes. If you just upgrade to Fuji CP20 then clearly no.

Looks pretty good size wise, I dont really like zooms to much but really dont like extending barrels. I guess its a necessary evil to get the lens that small though. Hopefully IQ is better than Sigmas old 2470s.
To be fair, I have used my GM zoom's very little, definitely not enough to justify their cost etc .... going to be selling them all off soon. :)

To be fair, I have used my GM zoom's very little, definitely not enough to justify their cost etc .... going to be selling them all off soon. :)

Good idea, get what you will use, shouldnt have stuff like that laying around gathering dust when you can own gear you may actually use.

Good idea, get what you will use, shouldn't have stuff like that laying around gathering dust when you can own gear you may actually use.
Yeah, going to have a clear out of my other unused gadgets / stuff etc.
Will use the proceeds for a family holiday next year. :)

How much would I list a excellent condition A7rii for on here? Fully boxed, several batteries, 4500 shutter count.
£800-900?
I know new ones were going for £1300 at Wex recently. So around 2/3rd the price roughly I'd say.
GLWTS :)

One that I was watching went for €1050 with 4 batteries plus a grip, that's about £880, he was haggled down from 1200 though. I think £850 body and a couple batts sounds about right

So how much would a mint A7ii go for do you think as I'm tempted by the A7Rii already :)

2000 clicks and looks new.

Also has 11 months warranty on it which I'd be happy to help out with should the need arise.

Back