The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

@TGphoto ... Tom, how are you finding the Canon 70-200 f4? I’m wanting a 70-200mm to go on my X-H1 and a7iii but can’t stretch to the f2.8’s.

So I have been looking more into my Lightroom statistics and I have only shot (keepers) 9344 photos across the Sony A7, A7 II, A7 III, A7R II and A9 bodies.
In total my LR collection of photos amounts to 17879.
In second place is the Fuji X100 with 2004 photos, surprising low given how much I liked it
In third place in the Fuji XT-2 with 1385 shots, just didn't get on with it when moving from the A7R II bodies. ISO/DR/ FF look etc.

Now drilling down further I looked at what the top Sony lenses / focal lengths I used to the most.
1. Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8 with 3494 shots.
2. Sony 85mm f1.4 GM with 1304 shots.
3. Sony 70-200mm f2.8 GM with 1079 shots.

The I looked at focal lengths.....
1. 3505 shots at 55mm
2. 1698 shots at 85mm
3. 842 shots at 200mm
4. 719 shots at 70mm
5. 547 shots at 24mm
6. 249 shots at 25mm
7. 204 shots at 16mm
8. 175 shots at 35mm

I am going to stick with my Sony prime setup of 35mm f1.8, 55mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8 as it covers most of the bases.
I don't need long telephone as I rarely use it these days, most of the photos I took in the past were at airshows or Tour de France (Yorkshire) etc.
If I ever go on Safari or start doing wildlife stuff, could look at a telephoto then.
:)

@TGphoto .... you can sell me the a7riii for £900...

So how much would a mint A7ii go for do you think as I'm tempted by the A7Rii already :)

2000 clicks and looks new.

Also has 11 months warranty on it which I'd be happy to help out with should the need arise.
I just bought a brand new one with kit len's for £650

Last edited:
And with an a9ii you'd never miss a shot :ROFLMAO: so add that while you're spending.
But send it to me first for a few weeks to thoroughly test it to make sure it meets your needs ;)

I remember you said the same about Z7 :p
And I was right, waited for it to come down in price first ;) I don’t think the A9-II will ever be do-able though, the price I’d get for my lenses is disappointing to say the least and it’s only going to get worse.

And I was right, waited for it to come down in price first ;) I don’t think the A9-II will ever be do-able though, the price I’d get for my lenses is disappointing to say the least and it’s only going to get worse.

more the reason to swap sooner than later. see you keep making a case for buying sony directly or indirectly. we both know where this will end.

Ohh damn missed the perfect puppy shoot should if got a a9 bit late now

Lab coat need dusting off more if a reason to buy a Sony getting some testing done

Yup, Nikon are finished. ;)

more the reason to swap sooner than later. see you keep making a case for buying sony directly or indirectly. we both know where this will end.
Do I keep making a case to buy the Sony, I think I make more of a case to keep the Nikon tbh ;) The only thing I prefer about the Sony is the performance, which as we know isn't everything. Plus to sell the Z7, 24-70mm f4 S, 50mm f1.8 S, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 85mm f1.8G and 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G and be able to buy the A9-II and 50mm f1.8 is just nonsensical (y)
I got bitten by the Sony bug.

It'll happen to Toby
Only if I come into a large sum of money that I can afford to 'throw away' ;)

Do I keep making a case to buy the Sony, I think I make more of a case to keep the Nikon tbh ;) The only thing I prefer about the Sony is the performance, which as we know isn't everything. Plus to sell the Z7, 24-70mm f4 S, 50mm f1.8 S, 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, 85mm f1.8G and 18-35mm f3.5-4.5G and be able to buy the A9-II and 50mm f1.8 is just nonsensical (y)
Well you shouldn't have bought the nikon mirrorless in the first place hehe ;)

Well what about the new 75mp canon mirrorless?

Well you shouldn't have bought the nikon mirrorless in the first place hehe ;)

Well what about the new 75mp canon mirrorless?
I'm happy with the Nikon, no regrets. Nothing wrong with seeing what else is around, if something did properly take my fancy I'm sure I'd swap, but for now I'm happy in the Nikon camp (y)

I know in theory the higher the pixel density/the more mp the more prone to camera shake but I've not found that for some reason. I've not changed my shutter speeds between 16mp body and a 45.7mp body. Doesn't make sense to me, but that's what I've found (y)

I thought it was the case that it's not more prone to shake but rather it's easier to see because of the extra detail, in reality you're no worse off than you would be with a lower mp camera.

I'm happy with the Nikon, no regrets. Nothing wrong with seeing what else is around, if something did properly take my fancy I'm sure I'd swap, but for now I'm happy in the Nikon camp (y)
But you will be happier with a brand spanking Sony A9 :D lol
:sony:

I thought it was the case that it's not more prone to shake but rather it's easier to see because of the extra detail, in reality you're no worse off than you would be with a lower mp camera.
Yeah it maybe, but either way I'm not seeing any difference (y)
But you will be happier with a brand spanking Sony A9 :D lol
:sony:
Not with my sausage fingers ;)

I think you should just stick with what you have as the differences between good cameras (which is both what you have with Nikon and what you're looking at with Sony,) are mostly minimal and nit picking unless you're missing pictures which would be important to you which you think a Sony would get you or you're missing some feature which is a deal breaker for some like dual card slots.

Looking at the pictures you've posed recently I do think that moving from DSLR to mirrorless was probably the way to go for more accurate and consistent focus but does a Sony offer you enough of an improvement over what you have now to make the cost and hassle truly worthwhile? For the interest, gas and fun changing could make sense but for the actual end result the case for changing systems is surely much less clear?

Last edited:
Wow. I hope you don't regret selling these.

GLWTS.
I doubt it, still got my focal lengths covered which I used the most.
I rather put the money towards a family holiday instead + savings :)
If I was doing paid work, I would have probably kept them, however you can still get professional looking results with the 35mm f1.8, 55mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8 lenses.

If I was doing paid work, I would have probably kept them, however you can still get professional looking results with the 35mm f1.8, 55mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8 lenses.

Those lenses are capable of providing better images than the GM lenses you are selling to be fair.

Lets be honest zoom lenses suck compared to most prime lens options but they are convenient.

Professionals shooting portraits, weddings etc rarely use zoom lenses unless they are really old school.

Although they have a place for commercial work.

Last edited:

Bank saving interests wasn't that great, the interest rates that I've got now have been reduced cum next year, again ..... :(

Back